As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Question about grenades. During the street section of Act 1, we found a different... type(?) of frag grenade. The game called both of them frags, one had a picture with a long chain when equipped, the other looked more like a lit fuse or something like that? Neither served as ammo for the other, it would exchange 4 of one for four of the other. What is this?

Different makes of frag grenades. They were in the last game too, I think--they're functionally identical (at least I think so--they seem to do the same damage?), but one is the earlier/Locust style, and the other is later/DB style.

Oh... that seems really stupid? Because the ammo can't be combined. Same thing with being unable to use Lancer ammo in the Grenade Lancer honestly, that was a bad design decision.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It makes sense in that humans probably would have frags too, but yeah that they don't stack is silly

I'm pretty sure the GL Lancer fires different than the normal one. Same with the Retro Lancer, they all fire slightly different. The GL Lancer in particular seems very accurate by default

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the GL Lancer fires different than the normal one. Same with the Retro Lancer, they all fire slightly different. The GL Lancer in particular seems very accurate by default
    Question about grenades. During the street section of Act 1, we found a different... type(?) of frag grenade. The game called both of them frags, one had a picture with a long chain when equipped, the other looked more like a lit fuse or something like that? Neither served as ammo for the other, it would exchange 4 of one for four of the other. What is this?

Different makes of frag grenades. They were in the last game too, I think--they're functionally identical (at least I think so--they seem to do the same damage?), but one is the earlier/Locust style, and the other is later/DB style.

Oh... that seems really stupid? Because the ammo can't be combined. Same thing with being unable to use Lancer ammo in the Grenade Lancer honestly, that was a bad design decision.

The Three Lancers all fire noticeably differently--frankly, if you told me "They all use different caliber ammunition," I'd believe it, but that's simple world building.

Their ammo doesn't stack, whereas red-colored and blue-colored DB weapons do (they simply reflect different color DBs).

The grenades, for all I know, might have slightly different fuse times or different splash damage or something else. But it's the same implementation as the above examples--they're no the same weapons.

I wonder if it might be some sort of unexpected engine limitation that they haven't corrected, but probably not. They want a diversity of weapons, and distinct weapons don't have interchangeable "ammo". Even if they're pretty damn similar.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I had a shortage of GL Lancer ammo for pretty much the entire game and never wanted to let go of it. I was always a little annoyed I couldn't just take ammo from the other lancer's on the ground.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    I had a shortage of GL Lancer ammo for pretty much the entire game and never wanted to let go of it. I was always a little annoyed I couldn't just take ammo from the other lancer's on the ground.

I found there were enough ammo crates to alleviate that (until the game forcibly took the Lancer Mk 2 from me).

I also honestly haven't used rifle grenades as often as I should. The hording mentality is strong with those.

That's the point I feel, it's supposed to be a power weapon you pick up until it exhausts and swap back to a scrub gun

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I have a slow day at work so figured I would give Gears Pop a try. Seems interesting, I just wish there was something besides requiring a second person for Horde or endless Versus. Endlessly playing against other people is not my idea of a good time. Is there a PA Crew, and anyone want to try some horde within the next hour or two? :biggrin:

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    I have a slow day at work so figured I would give Gears Pop a try. Seems interesting, I just wish there was something besides requiring a second person for Horde or endless Versus. Endlessly playing against other people is not my idea of a good time. Is there a PA Crew, and anyone want to try some horde within the next hour or two? :biggrin:

There's a pa group that I believe @Undead Scottsman setup

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Arcade Squad is open. But only hes three people, and I quit playing pretty quickly.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I... installed it (edit: Gears Pop) but then I checked the achievement list and it was uh... nah*.

How long is the base campaign for Gears 5? Asking for a friend.

*Seriously POP! - Defeat 100,000 pins, win 1000 Versus Battles, reach highest Versus League and clear 1000 Horde Waves

one person out of 34k players on TA has completed that, and yet nobody has completed this game.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    How long to beat says 11-15 hours.

https://howlongtobeat.com/

So my very first game of ranked Guardian mode, 2 people are AFK.. including the Leader. Is there no AFK detection for PvP?

"HEY WINGED WEASEL YOU SUCK!"

Thanks random Xbox teammate

I proceeded to top our team's leaderboard as the only person with positive elims to deaths
    Still lost
    Because I do suck

Something about Gears really makes the 2007 come out in people in the voice chat

For some reason the "capture x rings in versus" doesn't work against AI and I don't want to spend the time in the quickplay queue waiting for a KotH gametype to get selected, so ranked is it. I hate ranked, as I typically just get shredded by people with supernatural control over the gnasher.

Anywho, I get wrecked like I typically in the first round, but in the second everything just kinda clicked and I just started wasting everyone; getting multikills in shotgun battles and no longer being the worst score in the game. Then I saw a Dropshot that nobody bothered to pick up, and figured "I need explosive kills anyway, maybe I'll get lucky and hit someone with it."

First shot frags the current score leader, second shot kills TWO people, third shot kills the score leader AGAIN. The enemy team just couldn't amount a proper assault and we wound up winning.

I went from worst player on the team, to the best player on the team, and almost the MVP. (Guy on the opposing team was quite a distant first place).

Shame I'll never have as good as luck again.

KotH is easily the most tolerable of the ranked modes next to Deathmatch, since it's objective based people don't always play for kills which is refreshing.

TBH that instance was the first time I heard someone say anything. Some people type in text chat and it appears that pc and console are grouped which seems...bad.

edited September 2019
    I don't think PC and Console are grouped together, that's the first I've heard of that. I have seen folks on console use text chat to talk smack to the other team.

Ok I googled it and I guess it's toggle? In ranked you can choose console only, but I'm hoping it's console only by default

Edit: nope, it's crossplay enabled by default. Just turned it off. They should really let people know that before they go into ranked, I did all my placements already and had no idea.

Local H Jay on
    edited September 2019
    They did tests and determined that, due to how gears plays, there wasnt enough of a statistical difference between tge performance of players using controllers and those using kb&m.

I'm sure it was that, and not a clever way to shore up their player numbers. :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
    Man what is up with all the quitters in this game? I'm just trying out Escape for the first time, immediately first game one of our 3 drops. Eventually the second leaves, so I scrub the lobby and try again. Game loads up with 2 new teammates, I open the first door... They both quit.

Maybe I should start Borderlands 3...

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I use an Xbox One controller on PC - I think Gears would feel kind of awful on a KB&M.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    Man what is up with all the quitters in this game? I'm just trying out Escape for the first time, immediately first game one of our 3 drops. Eventually the second leaves, so I scrub the lobby and try again. Game loads up with 2 new teammates, I open the first door... They both quit.

Having people quit at the start of a co-op match is a time honored Gears tradition!

They did tests and determined that, due to how gears plays, there wasnt enough of a statistical difference between tge performance of players using controllers and those using kb&m.

I'm sure it was that, and not a clever way to shore up their player numbers. :wink:

i could buy that for most weapons, but any sniper in basically any game...c'mon let's be real

really? only time i've seen people quit is in VS if they are getting a beating, and in escape after like 15 tries of bashing our heads against something
    I use an Xbox One controller on PC - I think Gears would feel kind of awful on a KB&M.

once i migrate to my PC i plan to continue using a controller. i'll surely try kbam for the sake of it, but i hate kbam in any game

Even worse than quitters I got some griefers just now who refused to revive me or respawn me in Escape. I reported them both to Xbox, but curiously, there does not seem to be a way to report them in-game. Pretty awesome.

Even worse than quitters I got some griefers just now who refused to revive me or respawn me in Escape. I reported them both to Xbox, but curiously, there does not seem to be a way to report them in-game. Pretty awesome.

Can't do anything from the gamercard? I haven't needed to report anyone so I'm not sure where it is

That's what I did, you can report them directly to MS but usually there's an in-game option too. Anyways I tried to tough it out in that lobby but turns out you need teammates to win in Escape so, it was a massive waste of time. I just don't get people who grief at all, I mean I guess they succeeded in making me quit but they also wasted a whole half hour also probably didn't get it done without me so... Idk. People are so stupid.

Can you mute individual players on the scoreboard? usually that has the option to pull up a card in game.

Can you mute individual players on the scoreboard? usually that has the option to pull up a card in game.

Nope. When you go to scoreboard the only options are mute and view gamercard. If there's a way to access the player and report them to The Coalition, I couldn't find it.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    KB/M for aiming and snap turns, controller for better overall movement. That's been my experience as I've tried the two.

It could be because I've come up from Gears 1 using controller, but that's still what I prefer.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    KBAM players are always creepy moving around with console players. The movement was so unnatural, at least in Gears 4.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Another patch that doesn't fix the freezing in act 3/4 on PC, bah. Wish they'd include freaking patch notes as to what it did do.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So haven't played Gears in a while but probably gonna pick this up when I fix my Xbone.

Wondering...is the shotgun still the bestest?

Dragkonias wrote: »
    So haven't played Gears in a while but probably gonna pick this up when I fix my Xbone.

It's gears. The only gun is the Gnasher.

edited September 2019
    If anyone's feeling charitable or bored, I'm online and I could use help with Act II's boss!
    KBAM players are always creepy moving around with console players. The movement was so unnatural, at least in Gears 4.

That's most cross-platform shooters. Laser-precise aim, binary movement.

Synthesis on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I'm seeing calls to nerf the standard Lancer and other mid-long range weapons, so The Coalition must be doing something right

Once again, many thanks to Undead Scottsman for holding my hand through the Act II conclusion boss. Now I needn't worry about her again until I go through the game on beginner for collections.

Once again, many thanks to Undead Scottsman for holding my hand through the Act II conclusion boss. Now I needn't worry about her again until I go through the game on beginner for collections.

I'll just say I don't think there are any collectibles in that section, and you can pick what chapter to start from, so you can basically skip that fight when you do your collectible run.

I'm seeing calls to nerf the standard Lancer and other mid-long range weapons, so The Coalition must be doing something right

They are typically nuts when in an sort of organized setting. 2 people with good aim can down someone really fast.

Competitively it seems the markza/boltok are the big concerns. Or at least that's the opinion k saw on Twitter from players worlds better than me

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

They are typically nuts when in an sort of organized setting. 2 people with good aim can down someone really fast.

Competitively it seems the markza/boltok are the big concerns. Or at least that's the opinion k saw on Twitter from players worlds better than me

Both Markza and Boltok are semi-auto headshot kings. They're really good power weapons.