As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    As I understand it, Hero characters and Multiplayer characters are different things?

Quoting Octus one of the multiple times he says this in the reddit:
    It's part of our promotional partnership with Terminator Dark Fate. Characters will all be earnable except for promotional content (Halo, Terminator etc).

Also:

Gears 5 Characters Explained

uzltizsexvdv.png

edit: highlighted the latter block because it includes the former two anyway.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Every character is playable in regular PvP

I think all characters are also playable in Arcade Mode where they have specific loadouts. (COG and Swarm)

COG characters are also playable in Horde or Escape, where they have abilities and cards.

The DLC characters, so far, have been playable in both horde and escape.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I actually like 3 of the 4 character. In reality would I want <any Carmine> first or Cole, Baird, or whatever instead of a generic cog? Absolutely. I still think the cog foot soldiers look cool so I'm on with it. The fuckin ultimate also is awesome for horde/escape.

Raam I'm eh on but I know he is popular but I love the warden with the helment. That being said he seems larger and therefore a liability for multiplayer.

• Options
    Oh-ho-ho boy..

Here's what it takes to unlock these characters.

Step 1. Craft at totem: Totems are equippable items that you craft for 100 scrap (not bad, I have nearly 4,000 right now)
    Step 2. Do the following tasks while the totem is equipped (so you can only work on one character at a time)
    -Complete 40 rounds of versus
    -Survive 50 waves of horde
    -Survive 18 chapters of escape
    -Get 60,000 XP
    -Character dependent task (COG Soldier: Get 200 assists in Versus, horde or Escape with a COG character, Deebe: Get 100 reject kills in Horde or Escape, Warden: Eliminate 10 wardens in Horder or Escape, RAAM: 30 executions in Versus as a Swarm character.)

All four characters are available in versus and arcade, but only the COG soldier has Horde/Escape stuff.

• Options
    Oh yeah, and if you just want to buy them they're 500 iron or whatever, which is $4.99 on the store (cheaper in bulk, of course), but also comes with a 3-day boost which is either 750 iron for 3 1-day, or 600 iron for 1 7-day (So either a 750 value or a less than 300 value, depending on how you look at it. Again the 30 day boost with the best deal)

• Options
    Isn't that cog basically the Combat Medic from Gears 4? I liked her.

• Options
    They're generic characters used for the AI bots in Horde mode when you don't have at least 5 players.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    IT'S A FUCKING AD FOR A MOVIE! THEY'RE LITERALLY MAKING YOU PAY FOR ADVERTISING!

The whole point of this kind of shit is that it's free content paid for by whoever is trying to promote the movie or whatever.

I mean...not to come off as an apologist or something, but has any outside-IP character worked like that...ever?

Probably at some point, but I'm really struggling to remember when an guest character--with their own art assets, audio assets, etc.--wasn't a paid item and was instead a "promotional gift". It might speak poorly on us that we're willing to pay for it, but it's not an ad. An ad is an ad.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    IT'S A FUCKING AD FOR A MOVIE! THEY'RE LITERALLY MAKING YOU PAY FOR ADVERTISING!

The whole point of this kind of shit is that it's free content paid for by whoever is trying to promote the movie or whatever.

I mean...not to come off as an apologist or something, but has any outside-IP character worked like that...ever?

Probably at some point, but I'm really struggling to remember when an guest character--with their own art assets, audio assets, etc.--wasn't a paid item and was instead a "promotional gift". It might speak poorly on us that we're willing to pay for it, but it's not an ad. An ad is an ad.

Literally the first two Terminator characters were "promotional gifts"

EDIT: And I say it's an ad because, undoubtedly, TC got paid a to put these characters into their game and they exist 100% to promote a movie. They're ads.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Literally the first two Terminator characters were "promotional gifts"

EDIT: And I say it's an ad because, undoubtedly, TC got paid a to put these characters into their game and they're exist 100% to promote a movie. They're ads.

Really? I thought they came with specific editions of the game. I stand corrected.

Well, I guess the further characters aren't ads unfortunately...?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    “What is an ad” is an ancient xbox thread horrible argument. :P

At least it gives you more than the Idolmaster planes... what skills does she have?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It just comes across scummy, but they're doing the same thing in MK11 with Arnie and people don't seem to mind

If anything it's similar to how MK fans are mad so few MK characters are in the DLC, half of the DLC are guests from other properties

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Looks like it was a preorder/play the game on gamepass by Sept. 15th bonus.

EDIT: Also something can be an ad even if you ask money for it it; it's just gauche.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    My point of reference is Killer Instinct's list of guest characters, but that was a while back.

• Options
    My point of reference is Killer Instinct's list of guest characters, but that was a while back.

That feels a little less scummy, since those guests were other MS properties that happened to fit in that style of game. The Terminator stuff is very clearly a promotional campaign for the movie. I would say the difference is how it's presented, and Coalition seems pretty bad at communicating with their community

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh-ho-ho boy..

Here's what it takes to unlock these characters.

Step 1. Craft at totem: Totems are equippable items that you craft for 100 scrap (not bad, I have nearly 4,000 right now)
    Step 2. Do the following tasks while the totem is equipped (so you can only work on one character at a time)
    -Complete 40 rounds of versus
    -Survive 50 waves of horde
    -Survive 18 chapters of escape
    -Get 60,000 XP
    -Character dependent task (COG Soldier: Get 200 assists in Versus, horde or Escape with a COG character, Deebe: Get 100 reject kills in Horde or Escape, Warden: Eliminate 10 wardens in Horder or Escape, RAAM: 30 executions in Versus as a Swarm character.)

All four characters are available in versus and arcade, but only the COG soldier has Horde/Escape stuff.

That doesn't seem that bad if you care about only a single character. Well, outside of the 50 rounds of horde. That is going to take forever. Doing it 3 more times just isn't going to happen. After the cog soldier, if I unlock one by accident then great but I'm not going to a timely try to do it

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    50 rounds isn't consecutive. It doesn't take long to run through 1-10 on beginner, even by yourself. I did that to farm up stuff for Tour of Duty medals and objectives.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It sure sucks if you have no interest in one of the modes.

They really need to introduce (and keep) 25 wave horde, too.

• Options
    I think escape was supposed to provide for the quick PvE scenerio, but a 25 or 30 wave horde would be cool. Especially if they started you off with some decent power and dropped you into the harder stuff immediately.

• Options
    edited October 2019

"This is a placeholder item description that the user should never see."

Uh....

Edit: this new hive is exactly what I thought escape would be. It's fun

I'll never complete it

But it's fun

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Pretty sure all the third party characters were only included in the Ultimate Edition of the game.
    Given the barrier of access for that edition was incredibly low I can get the feeling but they weren't in of themselves simply given away to everyone

The Bautista skin was an actual giveaway since all people had to do to earn it was login and play whatever

• Options
    You got the Terminator characters if you played first week, doesn't matter if you bought it or played via gamepass. The Halo characters are Ultimate edition only.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Hah, speak of the devil. There's a limited time Terminator 20 wave horde mode. It just replaces Deebees with Terminators and sends them, along with trackers, guardians and kestrels at you. Beating it counts as a victory too, if you have objectives or medals you need to complete.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I didn't get credit for the game of it I played, but terminator Horde was fun. Lots of power weapons to grab to fight them.

The characters they released were such a disappointment.

Magell on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Hah, speak of the devil. There's a limited time Terminator 20 wave horde mode. It just replaces Deebees with Terminators and sends them, along with trackers, guardians and kestrels at you. Beating it counts as a victory too, if you have objectives or medals you need to complete.

Okay, I want to try that.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    How long does the Terminator horde mode stick around? Hoping for a week or two at least

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Bonepart wrote: »
    How long does the Terminator horde mode stick around? Hoping for a week or two at least

The challenges tied to it are up for 5 days

• Options
    So it seems I did buy this game, within the Bautista promo period. Do I just have him, or do I have to do something to get him should I decide to play this at some point in the future? I vaguely remember 10/21 being a cutoff for something but I can't poke around to find out what atm.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Should just be a login bonus.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    My interest in this game fell off when the new characters were revealed to be an utter grind, but here's the next tour of duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41c0TLtpUIQ

Surprised they're adding Jermad to this. He's a locust sniper who showed up in the Rise of RAAM comic.

Lots of cool stuff there, but I think I might be done with the game.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't even beat the campaign, sales are hard to track because Microsoft is obviously using the gamepass to include their player counts but none of my regular gears friends even mention playing this. I think TC ate up all the series good will and I know for my part the horde changes are just yuck.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Nah the game is still plenty active and fun as fuck

I'm still mostly poking around on the co-op modes tho

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I thought Gears 4 was great.

Gears 5 has been a let down so far.

• Options
    Gears 5 as a game I think is great and an improvement over Gears 4 in pretty much every way. It just puts the grind front and center rather than obfuscating it behind lootboxes, so I got tired of it much faster.

• Options
    To me progression in Gears is about as meaningful to me as it has been in Call of Duty, which is honestly pretty meaningless
    I know the hamster wheel is a big deal for some people but Overwatch completely ruined that concept for me, I'm not going to waste my time pretending to care about tchotchkes I'll never get close to getting with the hour or two I put in per day on average

• Options
    I cannot blame people for being sick of the grind. I've never one to gears looking to acquire all the stuff, I just run execution or whatever game mode 50,000 times in a row. It does suck that characters are either an eternity to unlock it real money but it hasn't really impacted my desire to play at all. I'm still hitting multiplayer whenever I have the chance. Eventually I'll get around to trying horde so I can complete some of these items, but escape and the competitive modes have been keeping me busy

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I just wish I could finish the campaign. One day I'll see if they ever fixed it.

• Options
    Nah the game is still plenty active and fun as fuck

I'm still mostly poking around on the co-op modes tho

Yeah, the game has been hugely successful on the word of mouth front. But I'm immersed with other people who really don't care about unlocking skins and don't really fixate on who they're playing in multiplayer, when they play multiplayer at all.

Singleplayer campaign was awesome, easily one of the the best of the year, and a technological masterpiece (though the later is also more "insider baseball" than most of my circle).

• Options
    New character unlock requirements are basically the same. 4 fairly simple taskes and also earn 60k xp which sucks.

Which is compounded by several medals requiring Baird or Lizzie. I don't really sweat the tour stuff, but the character grind isn't great.

• Options
    Gears Tactics Trailer

Out on PC April 28th, Xbox release to come later.

Main character appears to be Kait's father, Gabe Diaz. Main badguy is indeed Ukkon the monster maker from the Rise of RAAM comics. (Caaaalllllleeeed it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oziTQgMdXi4