As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I looooved the ending of the original Mad World trailer.

I was disappointed this wasn't going to be a collection of all the games remastered, but I played GoW1 so many times in single...like probably 12 times through with friends. And I never got around to playing 3. I don't think I can resist this.

vamen on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Is Horde progress tied to Gamertag (like Halo armor unlocks) or are they tied to a save file?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Kinda was expecting them to go shot for shot with the mad world trailer. That one seems more... hopeful somehow to me.

It does seem like the Coalition has taken the original "super macho comic book feel" and pushed it in the direction of "wow, what a horrible place to be, huh?" instead, which I can fully get behind. What I've seen of the new cinematics and (more coherent) camera direction in them, along with Marcus actually looking genuinely surprised and bewildered instead "Oh yeah, gonna shoot dudes until a guitar rift plays" gave me that impression too, along with the gradual transition of the color palette.

Which I'm fine with. I preferred the tone of the later Gears games for that reason too--I only realized how of a macho testosterone bro-out the original Gears was playing through the first few chapters to get that last cog tag, and was actually surprised how heavily the feeling was initially conveyed from Unreal Tournament, which had become the bro-ist of shooting universes. What little we've seen of GoW4 seems to be pushing further in that direction, especially with the two leads (a slender woman and a blonde guy who probably qualifies as a "prettyboy" by in-universe standards), but it may be too early to say.

I mean, it's still pretty damn macho and bro too. There usually is some tone shift in cross-generation remakes, especially when handled by a new studio, and I don't mind this one in the least.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Kinda was expecting them to go shot for shot with the mad world trailer. That one seems more... hopeful somehow to me.

It does seem like the Coalition has taken the original "super macho comic book feel" and pushed it in the direction of "wow, what a horrible place to be, huh?" instead, which I can fully get behind. What I've seen of the new cinematics and (more coherent) camera direction in them, along with Marcus actually looking genuinely surprised and bewildered instead "Oh yeah, gonna shoot dudes until a guitar rift plays" gave me that impression too, along with the gradual transition of the color palette.

Which I'm fine with. I preferred the tone of the later Gears games for that reason too--I only realized how of a macho testosterone bro-out the original Gears was playing through the first few chapters to get that last cog tag, and was actually surprised how heavily the feeling was initially conveyed from Unreal Tournament, which had become the bro-ist of shooting universes. What little we've seen of GoW4 seems to be pushing further in that direction, especially with the two leads (a slender woman and a blonde guy who probably qualifies as a "prettyboy" by in-universe standards), but it may be too early to say.

I mean, it's still pretty damn macho and bro too. There usually is some tone shift in cross-generation remakes, especially when handled by a new studio, and I don't mind this one in the least.

I could have handled it if the whole series had been as heavy in tone as
    when Dom finds his wife

I never expected a scene from a gears game to hit me so hard but that has to be one of my favorite scenes in a video game. Ever. Top 5. Right up there with Kai running into Flying Fox in "Heavenly Sword".

vamen on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

The thing about Gears is that there's always been subtle tones of "this world is a horrible place and nobody is really happy" expressed in the collectibles. Everybody except Marcus also had some sense of character development imo.
    I don't think Marcus anything relating his to father and Dom would have changed him killing Myrrah at the end of the game.

On the subject of character design...

It's canon that soldiers in the CoG had an caloric intake well over 6000. Since this seems to be a post CoG world, they should be hitting normal human proportions. So JD's not really a pretty boy so much as an actual normal person.

Kait's proportions are pretty much in line with the other female COG depictions with the exception of Bernie though. Have they revealed when this game takes place yet?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I hadn't thought about that--the COGs are generally huge for a reason. JD (didn't recall his name either) probably is considered normal (maybe with a comely face, again, by the low standards of the universe).

Kait, on the other hand, has a hat and a lesser extent hair that feel very comfortable coming out of Square-Enix's more subtle, recent efforts, at least to me. Which I actually like, it makes her immediately recognizable and memorable. In the context of the sort of horrible measures the GoW-universe has resorted to due to the war (like that nightmarish breeding farm stuff), which is intended to be considered horrible, and thus, justifies the big refugee movement, they both seem very much "removed" from that previous setting. I also assume GoW4 is supposed to be set after GoW3, at least, but I really don't know it it's been stated.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Part of me is waiting for the shoe to drop on Gears 4. I have a suspicion they're going to do something crazy with the setting - like it's either far in the future when the COG have colonized other worlds, or they're just going to flat out have it be be a series where it it just reboots and keeps thematic elements (like Zelda, but without the timeline shenanigans), so there's always the COG, the Lancer and some monsters to fight.

On the surface, the obvious choice would be to set it a generation or two after Gears 3, JD and Kait are the children or grandchild of the main Gears cast, and the destruction of all the immulsion and the Locust has caused some fucked up things to happen to Sera's ecosystem. However, there's a small potential clue in that the Gears4 video showed two moons in the sky, while the prior Gears games only ever showed one moon, IIRC, which would imply something more elaborate going on. Ben Carmine once said of the Locust "This one guy in Basic, he thought that they came from Risea or one of the moons."

I'm guessing Risea might be their equivalent of Mars, and maybe it's habitable?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I always assumed Sera itself was some lost colony of Earth, Starcraft-style. That was never elaborated on, was it?

• Options
    I always assumed Sera itself was some lost colony of Earth, Starcraft-style. That was never elaborated on, was it?

There's never been any indications that Humans aren't native to Sera in the Gears universe.

Their technology level is roughly equivalent to modern Earth (they use helicopters to get around and were reliant on fossil fuels until the discovery of Immulsion) outside of a few places where Imulsion has given them a boost. They've apparently been on Sera long enough to populate the entire planet, form separate nations, races and cultures (Pesanga Hill Men and the South Islanders, for example) and there's been mentions that hundreds of years ago wars were being fought with swords and chariots, so the colonists would have had to gotten knocked back to at least the bronze age when they arrived.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I am increasingly, perhaps inexplicably excited for this remaster.

I have a real fond memory for the first Gears of War. The simultaneous acquisition of an Xbox 360 plus this game and a year of Live (followed by Bioshock 1 the week after and TMNT Arcade, because fuck yeah TMNT Arcade) made for one of my greatest videogame memories.

I also have a lot of bad memories with the multiplayer and its inconsistent lag (ah, the days where some dipshit could get a headshot from a mile away....with the shotgun), so I hope they make good with the dedicated servers in this.

Yeah, I want this. But I might put it off a week, as Best Buy is offering $10 reward points for purchasing MGSV. I assume you don't get that promotion until the game launches, but that works doubly for me as I'll have an additional $10 rewards kicked in by then, which means I could get this remaster at over half off (with the additional 20% taken off it).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Gears 1 was probably the best online experience I've ever had with a game, mainly because, it was the height of the Xbox Megathead here, so there was always a big crew of awesome people to play with, and Gears was THE game to play on the 360 due to Halo 3 not coming out for another year.

• Options
    It was a new experience for me in a lot of ways. At the time the PS3 didn't have a multiplayer experience close to Gears, so diving into the whole Xbox Live Gold multiplayer culture (both good and bad) was a real exciting time.

One of my absolute favorite things was using the custom soundtrack option and have this song playing whenever we'd play at Fuel Depot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQCx9TYEtLk

"The age of love" isn't exactly a fitting theme (depending on who you talk to, anyway), but I always felt the music itself fit with that area.

I really hope they don't decide to brighten up Fuel Depot for the remaster, the way they did for sequels. Always hated how they moved it from nighttime to day.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I'm getting super hyped for this, feel free to add me if you don't have me on your friend's list yet. Gamertag is NeuralFizz

• Options
    Shame I'll be out of town next week due to PAX, but hopefully you cats will still be around the week after :biggrin:

Also, they added this co-op achievement
    Brothers To The End 10
    Defeat General RAAM in co-op on Insane without either player being DBNO

So I'll probably be looking for a co-op buddy at some point.

• Options
    That's going to ruin a lot of friendships.

• Options
    Oh god, I just had the worst thought.
    What if they didn't include the Cole rap in the Ultmate Edition

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Oh god, I just had the worst thought.
    What if they didn't include the Cole rap in the Ultmate Edition

Scottsman! I just saw a video of 2v2 on a map called boxes. I hope it's an actual playlist.

Also if they redid the mad world trailer you know there will be cole train rappenings remastered.

• Options
    Yeah, the Coalition invited a bunch of Gears fans to do some preliminary testing so they could nail what direction to take the Ultimate Edition and towards the end, the players went "Let's play boxes" which was basically playing on War Machine, never leaving the boxes area and only using gnashers. The Coalition went and made it a real gamemode after that.

• Options
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Anyone get any time in with the game? It is definitely Gears. I found it both awesome and angering at the same time. :)

• Options
    I'm on vacation (and I don't think my copy has shipped) but from what I've been hearing is the framerate is still hitchy by dispite being only 30 FPS, there's some animation jankiness, and they apparently didn't fix any of the AI glitches that plagued the first game. (allies will sometimes stop moving for no reason)

• Options
    I only played multiplayer. The game played great. It feels and looks great. Absolutely love the new Hammer of Dawn sound.

My "angry" comment has to do with the seemingly inconsistent Gnasher. It's probably my aim, but just like the Gears of 2006, I felt like I should have come out of some firefights that I didn't. Still awesome fun though and couldn't wait for my next match.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I hear that @socks, there were so many gnasher battles I lost that had me yelling at the tv like days of yore. It was great to see the universe come to life again tho ... I only got 4 KotH rounds in, but it felt great to play that again.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    So what is the deal with getting the other games in the series if you get this? They are digital and backwards compatible that you play on Xbone, but they aren't available currently, is that right?

• Options
    I played for almost three hours, all Team Deathmatch. I'm not good by any means, but I did get some really enjoyable kills in that time. Those three hours probably yielded 45 solid seconds on highlight reel stuff. :)

I believe you have to wait until BC becomes fully available for most of the titles. That should be November. Gears of War 1 is available now though, but Ultimate Edition is the way to go there.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    So what is the deal with getting the other games in the series if you get this? They are digital and backwards compatible that you play on Xbone, but they aren't available currently, is that right?

Right, if you play Ultimate Edition between now and the end of the year, you'll be give digital versions that are backwards compatible, when back compat ships in November.

...I dunno if they'll also work on 360.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Cool beans, thank you sir. I thought it was something along those lines.

vamen on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Right, if you play Ultimate Edition between now and the end of the year, you'll be give digital versions that are backwards compatible, when back compat ships in November.

...I dunno if they'll also work on 360.

They will. They are digital 360 games, licensed to your Gamertag.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I played a fair bit of Gears 3 and Judgment multiplayer, but I cannot stand Gears 1 MP.

EDIT: No local bot matches? "Ultimate Edition" is a bit light on content.

Arteen on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    hmm... might actually pick this up. the MP achievements don't look like they're going to be horribly unfun.

edit: except for that annex one.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well I did pick it up , mostly for the other games. I have 1-3 physical discs but I wanted to install them to the xbone and not have to worry about discs. The multiplayer is better then it was back in 06 but it still feels wonky.

• Options
    So, now that the game is out, we have prices for the cosmetic dlc.

$5 for a weapon skins pack
    $7 for an animated weapon skins pack
    $30 for the deluxe edition upgrade (which was only $20 motif you bought the Deluxe edition... Which had no retail counterpart.)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    is there a list anywhere of what the multiplayer modes are for the remaster? there is no horde mode correct? i am not a huge fan of it, but a few of my friends really enjoyed it so it would go a long way to convincing them to five into this with me.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    KotH, TDM, and Warzone, I think? Probably a few more to rotate in, but that's what was in on launch. No Horde though, yeah.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Annex,Execution, Blitz( Koth but you have to stay in the hill for points). I dug myself out of the hole I put myself in k/d wise at launch. I'm getting there but there is no way I will ever prefer this to barrel aiming.
    edit - As far as skins go I will almost always use legacy skins over paid ones so I usually dont buy anything and as long as Clayton and Kantus are available I never need to get more characters. That said it irks me that my gow 3 flame skins ( for being a beta tester) are now paid dlc.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Okay, I put some time in with the campaign and.. I think this might be the worst Gears of War game produced so far.

It has all the problems of the original Gears, but then it's just really lacking polish in a lot of frustrating ways. The AI is even worse than it was in the original; allies will stand around and not help you, or let enemies run by without shooting them, or will get stuck a half level back and not be of any use. Enemies will sometimes bug out too and get stuck places and just stop responding, so you have to hunt them down and shoot as they just stand there. These problems were present in the original, but they seem amped up to a incredible degree here. I can't describe how utterly USELESS your allies are now. Also, the game doesn't seem to have been put together that well; quite freqently you'll see a split second of the next level before the cutscene introducing that level plays. There's other little things I've probably forgotten, because those issues repeatedly annoying.

Oh yeah, I once saw a boomer shoot me through his back.

The PC levels don't seem to have been rebalanced for console (they tended to throw more enemies at you at once, due to increase PC power and mouse aim) so that's great. Though the game does seem slightly easier on the whole, aside from the sniper rifle being weirdly ineffective (active reloaded won't automatically kill drones or bypass helmets anymore; you can't take out a turret drone by shooting him in the head twice)

The new cutscenes are pretty, but they feel REALLY overproduced. Everyone feels at little to spastic, like they were worried the motions wouldn't get captured by the mocap, so they had everyone over exaggerate stuff.

This thing just feels half-baked.

Hopefully Gears 4 won't be like this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as far the story stuff that bothered me in the original release.

-The intro plays the first time you load the game, so that's something
    -No real intro for Marcus' predicament at the beginning.
    -We finally see where the hell Baird got the geobot (there's a pile of them conveniently right where they detonate the resonator)
    -No real reaction from Marcus that his dad had the a map of the locust tunnel network.
    -Train stuff is taken care of by the extra PC missions.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yup. Apparently its all gears 3 fault. Or so the gears 1 "pros" claim. Also in the pc chapters there is a scene where a wretch is supposed to run by the door however he has no animation for it. He just slides from point A to point B in his idle state as if he were dragged by a mouse. The multiplayer is just as wonky.

• Options
    Honestly, it feels like it's more the fault of trying to stick too closely to Gears 1 (and not giving the project enough time to polish the rough spots)

Anywho, I forgot to mention the funniest AI glitch I got. At the beginning of Act IV, after you fight some troops a couple of boomers come out. I managed to take out one, and a couple of snipers, when I realized I had no idea where the other one was. I found him and zoomed in to see Baird with a shotgun going toe-to-toe with him the Boomer. The Boomer basically wasn't attacking (definitely no melee and maybe some boomshots that missed because Baird was so close?) as I'm trying to absorb what's going on, Baird actually managed to finish off the Boomer with his shotgun having put enough shots into him while I was doing everything else. I was actually in a bit of disbelief for a minute and I wish I had remembered to save a clip. (I'm still new to the xbox one)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Okay, I beat the campaign.

The General RAAM bossfight is still hot bullshit. In fact it might be even more hot bullshit than before.

Also, if you have a remake of a new version of a game, and basically have two sets of credits, do you

A. Play the original ending music, while splicing in new tracks to fill time
    B. Create entirely new music for the end of the game.
    C. Just loop the existing music repeatedly.

If you picked option C, then you could be an Ultimate Edition developer!

My fears about the Cole Rap were unfounded. (Or perhaps just backwards) Not only is it still there, you hear it four times.

Anywho, Rod Ferguson mentioned that each act had a thing they changed to help smooth it into continuity. Off the top of my head..
    Act 1: "Welcome to the SLAB" on the first level; Marcus' prision was unnamed until one of Karen Traviss' novels
    Act 2: I dunno, actually
    Act 3: Lambent Wretches are now Imulsion yellow instead of blue like they were in Gears 1. They also have gooey explosions now.
    Act 4: There are pictures of Adam Fenix in the Fenix estate now.
    Act 5: At the very end, when the Queen is giving her speech about how the Locust won't stop, it was originally over a shot of a random locust riding a Hydra (the creature that Skorge rode in Gears 2) but now it's the Queen in her Gears3 garb, riding the War Beetle.

The first set of changes are fine, but man is that last one a shitty change, as it completely deflates the surprise reveal in Gears 2. :razz:

They really should have just made it Skorge.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Doing my solo insane run (because I'm an idiot) and it reminded me of one last bug complaint that I need to bring up.

In gears, when you clear out a room, the music stops and you get a guitar riff signifying that the locust are dead and everything is safe. This has been in every gears games.

They somehow fucked this up. Occasionally the riff will sound when there's still Locust around, and occasionally it will never sound even though everything is dead.

Good lord is this a broke ass game.