As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alcoholic, Anxiety, or Normal? Need an Objective Perspective

AltyMcAltinstein2AltyMcAltinstein2 Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so if this reads like a crazy person wall of text post, believe me, I feel that way. Apologies.
Additionally, I'll be looking into finding a therapist I can talk about this with.
If this is too much background for you, skip down to "the problem."

Background
  • I worry a lot. I don't know if I'm a full-on hypochondriac, but I can definitely be influenced by the power of suggestion and fear (I think this comes from a need to be certain, which I'm sure people in logic/science fields can kind of relate to).
  • I have anxiety issues. I know it's lame to self-diagnose, but it's clear based on the patterns in my life. Fear of being in situations without control, fear of change, and fear of terrible things happening.
  • My father is (probably) a functional alcoholic and had some anger issues.
  • My mother coped with this by doubling down on guilt and religion....
  • which is why I didn't have my first drink until I was 26.
  • I’m a 30 year old male.

Booze/Recent Background
  • 2 and a half years ago, I moved to a new state, caught up with some old friends, etc. Eventually, we got into a routine of going into the city and hitting a bar or two on most Friday nights. I'm a pretty shy person with some real inexperience socializing due to my sheltered religious upbringing/being a total dork, so it was a lot of fun to learn what "normal" people did.
  • Most of the time we'd have 3 or 4 drinks over the course of the night, and we'd all sober up for a couple hours before making our way home. Occasionally, by the end of the evening (5 or so hours) we'd be drunk and end up calling a cab, etc. A friend or two were going through some rough times, so the likelihood of getting drunk would increase or decrease.
  • Other Drinking - I would have a single beer or a cocktail with dinner maybe once a week. If I had an extremely tough day at work (rare) I might have a 2nd while watching Netflix or something.
  • Social Events – At weddings or social events I'd have a glass of whatever was being served.
  • During this time period I never had any anxiety about drinking or drinking problems. Sure, some Saturday mornings I'd feel like death, and some others I'd have a headache, but most of the time I wouldn't. Sometimes I'd think back to some embarrassing thing I said, or wonder if people were judging me- but I figured that was normal, or at least normal for me thanks to some social anxiety.
  • The only reason I thought booze was okay in the first place was because I came to realize that I'm not my father in a lot of ways, and that fundamentalist mom went overboard in declaring everything evil.
  • Last year I moved into the city and stopped needing to drive everywhere. As a result, the artificial drink limit I set on myself for these weekly Friday night get-togethers stopped being there- I could walk a couple blocks and be home, so I didn't need to stop early enough to sober up to drive.
I'd say that within the past 3 months or so, I noticed I was consuming 5-6 rounds every weekly bar night (over the course of 5 hours). I felt like my tolerance had increased (not drinking until 26 had me start with none). A few weeks ago, some new friends came out with us and were on their 2nd and I was already on my 4th- it bothered me a little bit (the idea that I drank more than other people was new to me, and I didn’t like that or the idea that I was ‘getting used to’ alcohol) but I didn't think much of it. I figured that if I noticed I was drinking more, I probably should tone it down (Figured why not, it’s probably healthier to not consume more). I planned to do so and that felt normal, I guess. Certainly not stressful.

The Problem
Shortly after that, I saw some passing article headline about how there's an "alcoholic spectrum" rather than a binary state. The next day, I saw some articles about people being "pre-alcoholics." As soon as I saw these, my anxiety spiked. I told myself to not to indulge my anxiety and went through the day, but the seed had been planted.

I was already thinking of cutting back a bit, just because my newfound tolerance bothered me/probably wasn't great for my health to drink 5 or 6 rounds every Friday night, but a sneaky fear started rambling around in my head. If there's an alcoholic spectrum, then what if I'm on it? What if I've ended up moving myself toward alcoholism? What if I'm already an alcoholic? What if I've been one and didn’t even notice? I mean, after all, my dad is one, and now I’m drinking more on Friday nights, regularly. Growing up I was told to never have a drink because I'd turn out like him. Maybe my overprotective mother was right.

I tend to be a skeptic about things, especially when it comes to needless anxiety, but it kept nagging at me, eventually ending up with me binging on Googling about the subject- I read up about alcoholism, dependence, etc. On some/most nights out, I found out I probably qualified for binge drinking (6 in 4 hours!). I didn't think I was a binge drinker! I barely even drank during the rest of the week. Hell, I only started drinking a few years ago. Turns out binge drinking isn't being drunk for an entire weekend, and can be separate from alcoholism (my misunderstanding of the term only made me feel more naive).

So I Googled "how to tell if your'e an alcoholic" and took an online 20 question self-test. Then I took another, and another. Almost all of them said I was a little past (or right at the entrance of) being a certified alcoholic.

My stomach sank.

Except all of the tests were very reductive and generalized- the questions were vague and binary. I feel a bit guilty about everything thanks to growing up Baptist, so naturally I'd feel guilty about drinking. I've never had a blackout, but I've remembered specific jokes or a phrase later the next day that I wouldn't have remembered without a trigger (like a dream). Does that count as a blackout for a yes or no question? "Do you drink because you're shy?" Well, I certainly am shy and when I am drinking, that lessens, but isn't that why a lot of people drink socially? "Do you look forward to drinking?" I only looked forward to drinking on my one night a week friend get together, or if I wanted to try a new cocktail that I'd always heard about in movies. Have you ever lost time at work because of drinking? I came in an hour late a couple times, but we're on flextime so does that really count? I've also come in an hour or two late for other non-drinking reasons/flextime. How do I tell if I’m in denial or if the tests are too general? "Do you want a drink as soon as you wake up?" Well, no. I don't think so. But my repulsion to alcohol during a hangover has lessened, as have any hangovers I've had. Does that count? All the tests did was confuse me, ramping up my uncertainty and worry and need to know.

A lot of the literature I read began with "If you've looked this up, you're an alcoholic" or "only you can tell if you're an alcoholic." Well, shit, that doesn't help.

I didn't know which way was up- my mind was/is so nervous and afraid of this that I couldn't tell you whether or not I actually want a drink. I kept thinking about the example of the power of suggestion- if a person tells you not to think of a pink elephant, suddenly it's all you can do to try and not think of it. Did you really want to think about it?

Regardless of how inconclusive everything appeared to be, I decided to err on the side of caution. If I couldn't tell whether I needed to cut back or not, there was no harm in cutting back anyway- after all, I was planning on doing so before this anyway.

I went to my group of friend's usual Friday night out and was easily able to take it down to 3 drinks while still having a great time- but it felt different. It felt like restraint, rather than the blowing off steam (and getting drunk) that I was accustomed to. Ultimately, it proved that I could tone it down, but that just made me think I was an alcoholic even more: after all, I didn't get that "blow off steam and let loose" itch scratched. Only an alcoholic would miss letting loose. Only an alcoholic would have to cut back.

Feels
I fear/must admit that I like going out and partying/getting drunk with friends. I like the lessening of my social anxiety, and it's fun to talk to strangers and meet new people. I enjoy hanging out with them, trying new flavors of drinks, and I enjoy laughing and cracking jokes. I don't like the idea of having to forgo that/cut that out. I get nervous when I think about what those nights would be like without booze, because I have to admit, they wouldn't be as fun.

But more than that, I don't like the idea of that feeding into "never being able to get enough" or causing a lifelong problem/disease/addiction for which there is no cure.

The fact that I like cutting loose once a week worries me. I don't do it alone, and I don't do it on a Monday night or anything. Is it just the fact that I've established it as a habit? That I've mentally linked good times with friends with good times with booze? That's the real killer of anxiety/possible OCD- I don't know if I can ever truly know why I'm doing something. It's improvable. I began to think of ways I could still keep some of that- maybe only go once a month? Thinking about ways to keep drinking with friends just makes me feel like a really am a hopeless alky. Is it habit, or is it a craving?

Right now I can reduce my drinking and control it, but it makes me feel uncomfortable- like I'm doing it because I have a problem. The idea that I'd be trapped in a reality where I can't enjoy booze with friends like a normal person, doomed to maintaining sobriety and always resisting a relapse (this is where my self-doubt about whether or not I really crave drinks, or am I craving drinks because I'm afraid that I crave drinks?) sounds like a lifetime of anxiety and work.

I don't feel like I have a problem if I'm not thinking about it, if that factors in. The thought that if I had to be on a lifelong medication that would prevent me from drinking doesn’t upset me, oddly enough. The thought of cutting booze down or out for health reasons doesn’t bother me either.

I guess at the end of the day, I just don't want to be an alcoholic and I'm afraid that I am one and am in denial, or are on my way to being one. I've never had a DUI, I've never done anything awful that I regret while drinking (except maybe overshare to friends, or that one time I sang Flagpole Sitta at karaoke- but those are both pretty normal social anxiety things), I've only ever thrown up from drinking once. I had no problem or anxiety cutting back for financial reasons, or for health benefits (when I was trying to lose weight), and have done those before for the periods of time I needed to without feeling bad about it.

Now that this is something I have to think about, I can't get it out of my head.

The anxiety and guilt of possibly having trained myself to become an alcoholic by partying every weekend (I was never even the type to be a partier) intrudes on my work and personal life- as I type this, I've called off work today due to the sinking feeling in my stomach that I'm actually an alcoholic and my trying to think it through/logic it out is just me trying to deny it.

Not thinking about it, avoiding reading articles about alcoholism, or not “checking” helps, but I can’t tell if that’s me being in denial. When I don’t think I have a drinking problem, I feel fine. The problem is that I think I have one a lot of the time, now.

TL;DR
For the past 2 years I've gone out and got intoxicated with friends once a week. I like doing that and am kind of sad at the thought of not doing it. I'm afraid I that I like being drunk. Am I an alcoholic, or am I just getting anxious over nothing?

Do you guys think I'm an alcoholic?
Or is this just my anxiety/obsession with proving unprovable things combining with my fear of becoming like my father?
Am I just (relatively) new to drinking and not sure what's going on?
Or maybe a little of all three?

Extra Credit: What should I do? Bare minimum, I plan setting a limit and only drinking a max of 4 rounds (shooting for 2-3) at my group's weekly gathering, and maybe skipping a week each month and not going, or going and having just water.

Also, thanks so much for reading a giant wall of possibly crazy blahhhhh

Edit: Ho boy, that's a long post. Sorry. First time I've talked about this at all.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I don't think you're an alcoholic.

One night of drinking a week is no problem, unless you go nuts and drink so much you puke every time you drink. 5-6 over the course of the night isn't crazy binge drinking (some definitions put it at 3 drinks in a night, but that's dumb as hell).

Hell, sometimes I'm drunk 7 nights a week (which is, honestly, a bit much, and I'm cutting back a bit). If you're getting drunk every day, or being drunk during the day at work, then maybe start worrying. If you drink so much that you black out and throw up every time you drink, then start worrying.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think you're an alcoholic, but I think your plan to cut down your drinks and skip the occasional night is a good one. And when you do it easily it'll reduce your anxiety about it.

Definitely keep looking for a therapist to talk about your anxiety. That sounds like a way bigger issue than the drinking. :)

• Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Growing up in a religious environment and having missed most of the usual teenage/college-milestones (I feel drinking is one of those), it's tough to know what's normal or not. Especially when you have anxiety to double/triple/check.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    5 or 6 drinks would be quite a lot for me, but I'm pretty light weight, in the literal sense. I feel like 2 - 3 is really my typical max, with 1-2 being more common. You should probably just wheel it back a little. If the night is long, fill in the inbetween drink times with waters or NA drinks.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »
    5 or 6 drinks would be quite a lot for me, but I'm pretty light weight, in the literal sense. I feel like 2 - 3 is really my typical max, with 1-2 being more common. You should probably just wheel it back a little. If the night is long, fill in the inbetween drink times with waters or NA drinks.

Yep. The default plan is to just cut back (which I've done before for some time periods for other reasons), and maybe even propose a couple other events (movies, shows, etc) once in a while instead of only drinking.

The fear is just the uncertainty on whether or not I've locked myself into a unrepairable condition- or that I've set myself up with an addiction that I can never get enough of.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Yep. The default plan is to just cut back (which I've done before for some time periods for other reasons), and maybe even propose a couple other events (movies, shows, etc) once in a while instead of only drinking.

The fear is just the uncertainty on whether or not I've locked myself into a unrepairable condition- or that I've set myself up with an addiction that I can never get enough of.

I seriously doubt you've permanently altered your brain chemistry. It's not like you have been shooting heroin.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Everyone has their own tolerance to alcohol depending on weight, body composition and other genetic factors. So don't worry if it takes you a few more to get to same level of drunkness as others.

My feelings on alchohol have always been that your ok unless your doing one of two things: 1. having to drink everyday to just get through it, or 2. When you do drink you have no control over the amount you drink and you get to a puking/blackout stage everytime.

You sound fine to me, there is nothing wrong with liking the feeling of being drunk, that's why people drink, we enjoy that feeling.

Just go out enjoy yourself once a week, your not being an addict.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SacriliciousSacrilicious Registered User regular
    I'll just throw in my experience - I was in a similar situation as you, with religious upbringing, anxiety. I started drinking when I was 20/21. Anyway, alcoholism definitely runs in my family. I started needing a LOT to get drunk. I figured it was starting to be a problem so I went to doc, got prescribed anxiety/depression med. I still kept drinking, and a couple times I blacked out and got into an extremely serious fight. Let's just say, I stopped drinking cold when that happened and haven't touched it since. It did help me socialize and the only friends I developed were indirectly from drinking. So at the very least, be extremely careful if you're on meds (probably should just not drink if on them) and just make sure you got some good buddies who'll make sure you're safe if you start drinking too much. I DO think alcohol made my depression and anxiety worse, just based on chemistry.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    The question is why do you drink?

You can be an alcoholic and only have a few drinks, and conversely you can drink all the time and not be an alcoholic.

Could you imagine these same nights out drinking soda, or water? is the alcohol integral to the experience?

If you drink because you need the alcohol to allow you to "open up or loosen up" or to "feel better after a long day" and you have a difficult time enjoying yourself without the assistance of alcohol, then that's not a good thing.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    You're the type to drink himself into a malaise that he regrets on occasion.
    I'm that type. That's not alcoholism.
    Personally it does sound like anxiety, and it does sounds like something you can change about yourself.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    The question is why do you drink?

You can be an alcoholic and only have a few drinks, and conversely you can drink all the time and not be an alcoholic.

Could you imagine these same nights out drinking soda, or water? is the alcohol integral to the experience?

If you drink because you need the alcohol to allow you to "open up or loosen up" or to "feel better after a long day" and you have a difficult time enjoying yourself without the assistance of alcohol, then that's not a good thing.

I don't know. This is part of the problem (especially with my anxiety. Not knowing the why, being able to prove feelings or emotions drives me up the wall). Not being able to say conclusively whether or not I *need* a drink/am an alcoholic is what activated this whole anxiety spiral. It's fun? It lets me hang out with some friends and have some laughs that may not have been as funny without? Mutes social anxiety? Maybe?

I can imagine these nights out being sober, and while they'd be fun, they wouldn't be as fun. If no one else in attendance was drinking, I probably wouldn't drink, or would just have a single drink). I can hang out with people and enjoy myself without booze (and do so with other friends that don't drink quite regularly), but it feels like it would be more fun when having had a drink or two (not drunk or blowout). Booze does tend to loosen me up, as I am quite the introvert, and have some anxiety/lack of experience with social situations. It feels easier to get along with new people- but it's not required. I guess I'm not sure how to tell what is a need vs. a want.

That being said, I can easily imagine cutting back for no reason without being bothered by it. Or if medically required (say, like in the case of anxiety medication or anti-depressants) ditching having alcohol altogether for the rest of my life and not losing any sleep over it.

There have been times when I would have liked a glass at a particularly stressful dinner/social event (say, a recent ex that was in attendance), but didn't for...no real reason. Just didn't drink. There were other times, like at a family cookout with relatives that I don't get along well with where I thought "man, I could use a drink, this is so awkward" but just didn't drink because it didn't seem like the right thing to do (maybe unrelated, half the fam doesn't know I drink).

Outside of these weekly "Friday Night Bar Nights," I don't think I really feel the need to get drunk or even drink that much. Maybe I do? Anxiety and overthinking it have clouded my brain. Last week in particular I was able to ditch having a glass with dinner entirely without a second thought, and managed to cut the drinking on last Friday night down by half with no difficulty.

I have a habit of being afraid of things outside of my control and trying to "prove" that they aren't real. Like seeing a spot on my back, then researching a bunch of things about skin cancer, finding it meets some diagnosis but not others, telling myself I'm overreacting, scheduling an appointment with a doc, then him telling me "oh yeah, that's nothing."

Unfortunately, with things like drinking addiction/alcoholism, I don't think there is a test that I can get that says whether or not I am one conclusively, so I think my anxiety has free reign to always doubt.

What do you think?

Edit: gosh, so many typos

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not going to encourage you to drink to improve social situations, but I think it's ridiculous to suggest that you're an alcoholic because you've done that. Alcohol is, for better or for worse, a great way to relax and loosen up in social situations and for someone with anxiety issues that can be doubly true. Everything you've said makes it sound like you're not even slightly an alcoholic.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    An infrequent weekend bender isn't alcoholism; you have a problem when drinking starts negatively affecting other areas of your life and/or you don't feel you can stop when you want to.

it does seem like you should be talking to someone about your anxiety though, because dang

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The hallmark of alcoholism is when your alcohol use impairs your personal or professional life in some manner. It doesn't matter if you can drink like a fish or if you can only handle one drink before passing out. If your drinking causes you or others around you harm, then it's alcoholism. This can be anything from hitting someone while driving drunk to rushing into work late because you were out too late last night drinking.

The difficulty is that it's often difficult to objectively look at your own life (for any reason, alcohol or otherwise), and it's easy to rationalize pretty much anything. It's probably a good idea to get an outside opinion from someone who actually knows you. While it doesn't sound like you are an alcoholic (going out to drink with friends once a week? That's not terrible.), there's no way for me to actually know unless I was your coworker or significant other or boss. You could be framing it favorably to us unconsciously.

tl;dr You're an alcoholic when the alcohol hurts you or those you love. That's what I would worry about, and not the specific amount of liquor you are consuming or at what interval. Get an outside opinion from someone who actually knows you.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Alcohol acts much like a benzodiazepine as I recall. This is relevant because benzos are used as anti anxiety medication. In essence this means a low amount of alcohol can act as anxiety medication. This is why people like to grab a drink after work, or after something stressful has happened.

Keep in mind that alcohol is poison though. Poison can be helpful but it is not something you want to rely on if you can help it. If you truly feel you need alcohol to open up to friends, or strongly prefer how you act after a small amount of alcohol you should see a therapist about social anxiety. They should be able to help you a lot. It sounds like you have a ton of anxiety anyways so it would probably be beneficial for you for other reasons.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for your responses- it's super great to talk about it.

As for @Hahnsoo1's bold, I guess what bugs me is that if I (hypothetically) party hard enough that it effects my work life a couple times, that sounds more like a lack of responsibility on my part than an addiction. I guess it would be if it impairs personal or professional life consistently and if I couldn't stop.

As for now, since I can't "prove" whether I am one or not (which I sheepishly admit sounds like crazy talk), I can only think to stop trying to overanalyze, and at the same time cut down on the booze in general. I hope that @admanb's advice about once I cut back drinking a bit then the anxiety about being an alky will lessen is true. Maybe once I'm not on a weekly "have more than I probably should" routine schedule, I won't feel like I'm in danger of it escalating. I'd already made the decision to drink less anyway. I'll see how that works for a week and regardless of results look into getting a therapist.

Maybe I am an alcoholic, maybe I'm not, maybe I'll never know. Maybe how I feel about it changes based off of whatever article I most recently read and how bad my anxiety is that day. The problem is that I feel like I have to know for certain and can manage to doubt both sides consistently.

But I think freaking out about this enough to call off work and feel stressed for an entire day maybe sounds more about anxiety than possibly being an alcoholic in crazy denial- all I know is that I didn't have any of this self-doubt about it a few months ago when I didn't even think twice about being an alcoholic.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    oh god, what are you implying Geth </joke>

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for your responses- it's super great to talk about it.

As for Hahnsoo1's bold, I guess what bugs me is that if I (hypothetically) party hard enough that it effects my work life a couple times, that sounds more like a lack of responsibility on my part than an addiction. I guess it would be if it impairs personal or professional life consistently and if I couldn't stop.
    The definition of an addiction is not "I couldn't stop myself". The definition of alcoholism isn't just "an addiction to alcohol either". If alcohol is affecting your personal or professional life (it doesn't appear to be now), then it's likely that you have alcoholism.

A "lack of responsibility" is one of the many justifications used. If you run over a kid in a car because you were drunk, no one is going to say "Hey, you just lacked responsibility"... they are going to say you are an alcoholic, and they'd be right.

And one or two nights where it screws you over isn't that big of a deal, unless you get fired. You are rolling the dice there, every time. It sounds like it doesn't affect your work right now, so I would not start worrying about that aspect.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Another way to put it: the first time alcohol strains your relationships or job or your health, that is when you should start asking yourself that question. It is good that you are self aware and vigilant about it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Do you have any social activities that are not drinking? I don't mean hanging out with your friends who are drinking while only you are not drinking, but events where everyone is doing something together but that something is not drinking.

I think many people with some social anxiety (myself included...) feel more comfortable if there is some shared activity such as playing a board game or video game, doing a sport, or having a set discussion topic like in a book club. If the shared activity is drinking then cutting back might feel less uncomfortable if you have some other activity that you're doing instead of just not drinking.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem like you are an alcoholic. It seems like you are freaking out about being an alcoholic to a degree that is socially/professionally impairing and really distressing to you. Go see a psychologist or psychiatrist about your high levels of anxiety! (And while you're there, you can ask them to talk to you about alcoholism as well. But from an outside perspective, it's the anxiety that's the problem here). I think you also know this, so stop being 'self-diagnosed' about your anxiety and seek help. Doesn't have to be a lifetime of lying down on a couch; cognitive+behavioral therapy can provide coping mechanisms within a limited number of sessions.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Do you have any social activities that are not drinking? I don't mean hanging out with your friends who are drinking while only you are not drinking, but events where everyone is doing something together but that something is not drinking.

I think many people with some social anxiety (myself included...) feel more comfortable if there is some shared activity such as playing a board game or video game, doing a sport, or having a set discussion topic like in a book club. If the shared activity is drinking then cutting back might feel less uncomfortable if you have some other activity that you're doing instead of just not drinking.

Actually, not that many. Occasionally we'll go see a movie or watch one at a friend's house, but that's once in a blue moon.

I like the suggestion- I was thinking of contacting some friends and seeing if they wanted to set up a weekly game night or something like that.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like you are an alcoholic. It seems like you are freaking out about being an alcoholic to a degree that is socially/professionally impairing and really distressing to you. Go see a psychologist or psychiatrist about your high levels of anxiety! (And while you're there, you can ask them to talk to you about alcoholism as well. But from an outside perspective, it's the anxiety that's the problem here). I think you also know this, so stop being 'self-diagnosed' about your anxiety and seek help. Doesn't have to be a lifetime of lying down on a couch; cognitive+behavioral therapy can provide coping mechanisms within a limited number of sessions.

Thanks so much.

I'm definitely pursuing solutions from a therapy standpoint for the anxiety- if I'm calling in sick for anxiety then it's definitely effecting my life in an negative way.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    You don't sound like an alcoholic based on what you've posted, but it is very good to be aware of how much you are drinking and it never hurts to cut down.

If you find that you ever NEED a drink, or if once you start you can't stop until you are sick or blacked out every time you do drink, that would be a good time to start worrying. It does not sound like you have problems in those regards.

Anxiety + alcohol can be a dangerous combo, but as long as you are safe about it you should be ok. Just don't try to self medicate with alcohol. I made that mistake, and I AM an alcoholic.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Another way to put it: the first time alcohol strains your relationships or job or your health, that is when you should start asking yourself that question. It is good that you are self aware and vigilant about it.

Your posts in here are very on point and are the things I am thinking as I was working out a reply to the op.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Alcoholism is a true addiction. Alcoholics can't decide just to have one drink to wind down after a day of work. They can't easily say, "Man, I have to get to my kid's game tomorrow. I need to cut myself off, even if this is a party!"

Don't worry as much about the label. If you can easily stop drinking because you want to, then you aren't an alcoholic. That is a superpower that alcoholics don't really have.

That being said, there are other things that you can think about. There is such a thing as drinking too much without being an alcoholic. Your liver doesn't really care about what your psychological relationship with alcohol is, all it knows is how much ethanol is being thrown at it. Plus, calories, you know?

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    As an alcoholic (or problem-drinker or whatever) I feel pretty confident in saying you are not an alcoholic.
    Except all of the tests were very reductive and generalized- the questions were vague and binary. I feel a bit guilty about everything thanks to growing up Baptist, so naturally I'd feel guilty about drinking. I've never had a blackout, but I've remembered specific jokes or a phrase later the next day that I wouldn't have remembered without a trigger (like a dream). Does that count as a blackout for a yes or no question? "Do you drink because you're shy?" Well, I certainly am shy and when I am drinking, that lessens, but isn't that why a lot of people drink socially? "Do you look forward to drinking?" I only looked forward to drinking on my one night a week friend get together, or if I wanted to try a new cocktail that I'd always heard about in movies. Have you ever lost time at work because of drinking? I came in an hour late a couple times, but we're on flextime so does that really count? I've also come in an hour or two late for other non-drinking reasons/flextime. How do I tell if I’m in denial or if the tests are too general? "Do you want a drink as soon as you wake up?" Well, no. I don't think so. But my repulsion to alcohol during a hangover has lessened, as have any hangovers I've had. Does that count? All the tests did was confuse me, ramping up my uncertainty and worry and need to know.

Okay you can relax about this. Those questions are indeed a bit vague and binary, but generally you can answer 'no' if you have to reason yourself into a 'yes' like that. Forgetting little things isn't blackout (as you forget little things all the time), blackouts are when you forget periods of time or big things like a bar that you went to or a person that you talked to or that you climbed a building. Same with shyness and looking forward to drinking, there is a clear difference between looking forward to next friday's fun and looking forward to the moment you can drink again. It's not about hanging out with friends or trying new interesting drinks, it is about getting a drink and having one. Alcoholics tend to think a lot about booze during the times they don't have any.

I quit drinking 7 months ago (best decision ever) and I met a lot of alcoholics at the clinic. What they mean by a spectrum thing is that there are a lot of ways in which you can be a problem drinker. But the defining trait is that it is a problem. It's not about the number of drinks or the times at which you drink (never drank during the day), it is about the problems you get from it and the problems you try to repress with it. A lot of my friends drank plenty, but I was using it to cope with depression and other things. Most people aren't on the spectrum, but you can be on the spectrum and not realize it because you have a wrong idea about what alcoholism is.

I don't really like to use the term alcoholic, I prefer the term problem drinker as it better covers the issue, but you don't seem to be one. You're just anxious. Which might be a good reason to quit or vary your drinking for a while anyway, as it might lessen the anxiety.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to try to rephrase all the good advice given so far, so I'll just chime in to agree that you're probably not an alcoholic. Anxiety is a right bastard. If a few rounds in a social situation assuages your anxiety, and more importantly, doesn't impact your professional or personal life in a truly negative way (coming into the office hungover once in a while vs. getting drunk on the job, getting terminated &c), you're probably OK.

Being aware of your alcohol consumption (as opposed to being overly anxious!) is a smart thing. Maybe talk to your GP/medical professional next time you're in for a checkup; they'll likely be better able to discuss the health impacts of drinking, and more importantly, how it is (or isn't) affecting your health.

Good luck with things buddy.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks again for all the replies.

Has alcohol caused problems in my life?

I've been and hour late to work after a friend's birthday party or something (again, my work environment is very flexible. Sometimes people don't come in for the entire morning. Also I've taken advantage of that quite frequently for other, non "out late last night and tired" or "feeling a bit hungover" reasons, but then again, that could just be a rationalization).

I think the most damning thing is that I once brought a flask to a wedding that I was obligated to attend with an ex that I wasn't getting along with. I ended up doing nothing with it and quickly felt that the whole idea was dumb and kind of juvenile (kinda skipped most of those moments growing up). That's probably the most embarrassing/counts as a negative behavior.

I tend to play some guilty pleasure songs on the jukebox that the next morning I feel slightly embarrassed about/if I weren't drinking I probably wouldn't have.

...but the biggest problem it's ever caused has been the anxiety about becoming an alcoholic in the past month. During the past 2 years, I don't think my drinking has done anything at all close to this constant anxiety/fear about having become an alcoholic without noticing it. Reading through responses that suggest I'm probably not has made me feel normal and relieved, and when a post suggested maybe I am or maybe I can't objectively tell had made me spiral into a blind panic/running for the bathroom with an upset stomach (totally not a slam or insult on posts or posters at all, or even disagreeing. I hope that's clear. I appreciate all advice on this, just giving an idea of how nervous it makes me).

I was able to make it into work today after bottoming out on nervousness last night. Doing a bit better today.

At my least anxious, I can see a few things:
    • Very clearly, I have some problems with anxiety and fear. I doubt an alcoholic or non-alcoholic would endlessly research stuff for two weeks and fight off anxiety about it during work, ultimately calling off due to the whole stress of the matter.
    • That being said, being the child of an alcoholic and having anxiety means I could become one- increased tolerance being the thing that I noticed first.
      Maybe I could keep drinking the same amount at these weekly get togethers, but I don't want to, and have/will cut back. Maybe in a hypothetical future I could party hard once in a blue moon, but certainly not now, and certainly not soon (and maybe not ever. I'd be alright with that). It's the fact that this behavior was routine that caused it to sneak up on me in the first place, so I'll be halving any intake and trying not to use one to unwind after work or something (probably overly cautious, but hey, whatever, I don't want to establish that as a coping mechanism). Quite frankly, I don't know when the next time I'll attend/have a drink is, actually. The anxiety has me kind of avoiding it.
    • Having an alcoholic father and a religious mother that also suffers from anxiety set some issues into motion across the board pretty early. My dad would drink and there were a few times he'd get verbally abusive to her (and occasionally to me), which was frightening as a kid. From the mom's side, she instilled in me pretty early that just about everything outside the church was from hell, and booze in particular was the spawn of the devil. After all, look what it does to your father. Despite distancing myself from that mindset, it probably contributes. I think the idea of even possibly getting closer to being in the same category (alcoholism) as my dad gives my (already problematic) anxiety the irrationally high stakes that you see in my posts. Helps that I might not ever be able to really know for certain. It's the perfect thing to cause extreme anxiety.
    • Additionally, all of the above points would be something that would be absolutely great to talk about with a therapist.

As for now, I'm leaning toward the side that I'm not an alcoholic, but maybe I'm closer than I'd like. I don't think there have been any real negative consequences in my life from it, and I'd like to keep it that way. There certainly haven't been any "wake up calls" or anything like that (outside of feeling a bit uncomfortable with having a tolerance)...which is probably why I didn't think anything was wrong for the 2 years I'd been drinking weekly/regularly.

Of course, in an hour from now I'll remember some time where I wanted a drink and go back to thinking I'm secretly an boozaholic...but that's probably a problem the therapist could help with.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Apologies if you've answered this already, but has anyone close to you (personally or professionally) ever said anything along the lines of "yo AltyMcAltinstein2, I think you might have a problem with the drink?"

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Apologies if you've answered this already, but has anyone close to you (personally or professionally) ever said anything along the lines of "yo AltyMcAltinstein2, I think you might have a problem with the drink?"

Nope.
    I'm not going to try to rephrase all the good advice given so far, so I'll just chime in to agree that you're probably not an alcoholic. Anxiety is a right bastard. If a few rounds in a social situation assuages your anxiety, and more importantly, doesn't impact your professional or personal life in a truly negative way (coming into the office hungover once in a while vs. getting drunk on the job, getting terminated &c), you're probably OK.

Being aware of your alcohol consumption (as opposed to being overly anxious!) is a smart thing. Maybe talk to your GP/medical professional next time you're in for a checkup; they'll likely be better able to discuss the health impacts of drinking, and more importantly, how it is (or isn't) affecting your health.

Good luck with things buddy.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'll be talking to my doc next checkup just to see. If I end up seeing a psychiatrist, I may end up with a prescription for anti-anxiety or depression medication in which case this entire problem kind of goes away (since I'm under the impression you don't mix those kind of drugs with booze).

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You have a problem when your drinking interferes with work; you're an alcoholic when work interferes with your drinking.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    OK good deal. For what it's worth, I think making an appointment with a talk therapist or counselor would be a great idea. Just bouncing your concerns off of someone who'se trained to help with anxiety and all that would probably take a lot of the weight off of your metaphorical shoulders. Don't rule out psychiatry or anything, mind you, but yeah I'd look into counseling first.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Just wanted to chime in, since this post hits close to home.

I'm a son of an alcoholic and grew up with a similar stigma to drinking. I've dealt with a similar anxiety to drinking ever since I had my first hangover. That little voice in your head, warning you that you may be an alcoholic if you're not careful? I've got that same voice in the back of my head talking to me every time I have a drink. The thing is, I love going out with my friends, or having a few glasses of wine after work on my couch. It took me years to accept that a drop of alcohol won't turn me into my father.

You're not an alcoholic. I know it sucks, that fear and anxiety. But you'll pull through. Like others have posted, go talk to someone. I did. If medication is the route they suggest, and you're comfortable with it, go for it. Go out with your friends, have a good time. But if you feel more comfortable not drinking? That's cool too. Have a glass of coke or ginger ale.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    You're not an alcoholic. Everything you've said makes that very clear. Definitely try and get some help with your anxiety, which seems much more significant than anything.

I have a drink most nights of the week, brought a backpack of alcohol to a wedding (dry wedding, shared some with the groom, good times,) but the important thing is that I don't need a drink. If I have important business the next morning, or if I'm with friends that don't want to drink, I have zero issues changing my behaviour.

You're fine. Enjoy some drinks. Drink responsibly, which is what you've been doing. Mostly, work on your anxiety, because the less that controls you, the less need you'll feel to have drinks for relaxing purposes.

• Options
    An update:

Canceled on the weekly drinking get together. Watched a movie and had a good night solo.

In the past few days I had to attend a different social event in which there was going to be some booze.

Of course, I spent most of the day at work running through my mind whether or not I wanted to drink at this event or not, whether it would be okay to have a drink, and if my hypothetical interest of having a drink was evidence of my being an alcoholic. This was a crowd I knew that was a "one and done" group, friends from out of town, so I knew this wouldn't be some rager or something.

At times throughout the day, I thought "well, it would be nice to have a drink with friends, especially since I know it's not a high pressure situation," which immediately made me think "if you want a drink, then it sounds like you can't quit." After spending most of the afternoon going back and forth analyzing why I would want/not want to partake, I ended up going to the event, relaxing, and having a great time catching up with old friends. When in the moment, I didn't need or want booze, and ended up passing on a glass of wine without a second thought. I didn't really obsess over it either. Went home, calm, and went to bed.

When I'm not anxiety-ridden/calm, I think that I've developed some unhealthy drinking habits (tolerance/getting kinda drunk weekly with friends) and could probably cut back without any issues and slide back into feeling normal.

When I am anxious, however, I can't tell if I don't want to stop entirely, or if I can't. I find myself thinking about situations wherein I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 drinks- out with a friend, talking about our mutual lack of success in dating recently, having fun at a wedding, etc., and immediately spike. I've panicked and looked up AA meetings, I've read books, I've read a bunch of reddit threads on alcoholism, I've obsessed over it, causing incredible distress.

I guess it comes down to 3 things.
    1. If I don't think I have a problem, then there's no reason to cut booze out of my life entirely. This then immediately activates my fear of that being a rationalizing behavior evident of an alcoholic.
    2. If I tell myself "no more drinking ever" and want* or consider having a drink, then I'm an alcoholic.
    3. If I tell myself "no more drinking ever" and change my mind and have drink, then I'm an alcoholic and couldn't quit.

In my mind, there's no way to win except to never drink and never want a drink again for the rest of my life, something that sounds undesirable to me. Which then starts the feedback loop at #2.
    *I don't know how to tell a need vs. a want right now. Panic attacks make everything seem crazy high stakes, which further clouds everything.

(trust me, I know how that whole loop sounds)

So, clearly there's something in my nutty brain that no amount of evidence, research, or opinion can get me to drop the fear that I'm an alcoholic. Something about that feels like a fate worse than death since I'm somebody with terrible willpower- that I will relapse, and life will become either one one of constantly fighting an addiction or failing that fight and getting worse. This fear is clearly quite strong and irrational, and from what I understand is catastrophic thinking.

The whole thing is so maddening, because in just about every other area I pride myself on being able to logically work things out. I know how it all must sound. I've been on the other side and have heard people speak like this.

Anyway, I've went ahead and started the process to get an appointment with a therapist (isn't open until after the weekend) to get some outside help with anxiety, possible OCD, and some clarification of alcoholism or just fear of alcoholism. We'll see how that goes.

I'd like to thank everyone that responded- seriously. Thanks for understanding. I've never really been active in this part outside of a few posts, and it's great to have a place to talk. It certainly opened my eyes to some things. I don't know if I'll be checking the thread much more (oh of course I will, but I'll try not to) just because I think the best thing for me, especially this weekend, is to stop obsessing about the doubt and uncertainty until I can talk to a professional and get some clarity. All the rational evidence barely works against my irrational fear.

I'm not sure on the procedure in this part of the forums- would it be possible for me to append a post sometime later on, just as kind of a follow up? I'd like anyone that finds this via Google or search to know how things turned out so that if they're dealing with something similar, they might be able to know what worked/didn't work for me. Sort of a "okay, this ended up resolving, here's how" kind of thing. If not, that's cool too.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kindred spirit post:

Every single person on my dad's side of the family is an alcoholic barring one of my 5 cousins. We made a choice when we were younger that we wouldn't let it shackle us. It sounds like you have done the same thing. When I drink, I drink quite a bit, but I drink about once a month. When I was 19-22 I would drink quite a bit about once or twice a week, but I told myself I would only ever drink because I wanted to. I would never, ever let outside factors dictate whether I had a drink or not. Seems to me you do the same thing. Your only issue with it is that you are second guessing your level of personal control - I don't think you need to do that. I've never had the kind of anxiety issues you mention, so I can't speak to that part of it, but I would definitely say seeing a therapist about it is a good idea. Just make sure you're honest with them!

And, of course, good luck. Be confident that whatever course of action you take is correct. If it isn't, just change course. You can't fail, you can only make a detour.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You need need need to get some therapy for your anxiety about this and in general. Unfortunately, we can't give you that. The more I see you say the more I think you should make strides to do that before you post about all this stuff here. We love updates, but this stuff in general is something you should really be working through with a professional. It will be safer and far more useful than unpacking it all here.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Understood. I finally talked to a friend about it and they were super supportive and surprised any of this was going on.

Additionally, I ended up getting an appointment with a psychologist, so that's the route I'm going to take for now.

Mods can lock the thread if they want, since I won't be posting anything else. Thanks again.

AltyMcAltinstein2 on
This discussion has been closed.