As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firewire to USB micro power doohickeys

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A! This should be a quick one:

The guy I bought my car from way back when wired a firewire power connection through the dash in order to power an old school ipod (cord goes male firewire into a connector that connects it to an old ass ipod dock cord thing).

I'd like that cord to somehow power my phone via usb micro. I've seen a bunch of firewire > usb "adapters" for sale on amazon, and almost all of them have reviews saying "yo this is bunk" or somesuch. I've tried an adapter that converts my "old ass ipod dock cord thing" into usb micro, but it was useless.

Is this a fool's errand? Should I just give up, pull my dash apart, and run a new wire? Or does some magical way of connecting a firewire cord to a usb micro port exist? Cheers folks.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
firewaterword on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well, firewire and USB operate on different protocols and different voltages, so with just a straight cable/adapter, it's impossible for either data or just power as the voltage would be too high for USB. If you were only interested in powering something, it would be possible to create a cable that included a voltage regulator in it to step down to the 5v required for USB, but I'm skeptical that anything like that would actually exist as it's an extremely niche use.

Daenris on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    If you really don't want to crack open the dash, then the only other solution would be to cut off the fireware female connector, and then solder on a switching voltage regulator to stepdown the what should be 30V of firewire to 5V, then connect that to a new female usb end.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Regulator-1-25-37V-Converter-Voltmeter/dp/B00OZGVL4O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433438938&sr=8-3&keywords=LM2596 should do what you need.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thank you both! @Daenris that's what I figured; were it not for junk like this being sold I wouldn't have thought it possible. @Foomy thanks for that info, much appreciated. That actually seems fairly reasonable. I'm still not sure what I'll do - there are a few other power wires (old gps and xm radio) going into the dash compartment that I don't need, so I might end up rewiring things anyway just to get rid of those. But if not, I'll look into getting one of those and hooking it up.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu