As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sense8: Season 2 is out

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    I won't lie, when Nomi's dad does that...
    "Take your hands off my daughter"!

I actually totally punched the air

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »

I clapped and was like, "YAAASSSS"

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »

I clapped and was like, "YAAASSSS"

You know that scene in Galaxy Quest when the aliens get super excited/laugh and it's that high pitched weezing/inhaling sound?

I did that.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I loved seeing another cluster back their person and seeing the different people contribute.

But the eight person punches were way too cheesy for me.

You're way too sensitive to cheesy.

This show is all about cheesy.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I loved seeing another cluster back their person and seeing the different people contribute.

But the eight person punches were way too cheesy for me.

You're way too sensitive to cheesy.

This show is all about cheesy.

Only when it's about Lito.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9k65fqbWMY

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The fact that the clip doesn't include Tequila Squared and his entrance to the mansion shows poorly on the person who recorded it.

S2
    And him going back to that bar for Tequila Cubed was great.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    So I ended up watching the clip with Nomi and her dad again. I actually found myself welling up at that moment.

Bear in mind, I'm nearly 45 and the last time I cried for any reason I was....11.

I honestly don't think I can put into words just how...important...a piece of drama like Sense8 is right now. With all the constant attacks on trans rights, and gay rights, bi erasure, racial and sexual inequalities, a show that goes out of its way to give such an inclusive message, not just in the story itself but with the people involved in the making of the show, is desperately needed.

I just wish every show could be like this...

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    I gotta say
    I feel pretty bad for Rajan.

Seems like the dude has gone above and beyond to make Kala happy and do right by her.

Every time she seemed unhappy about something, he did whatever he could to resolve it.

He even gave her an opening to tell him she wanted out when he suspected her heart wasn't in it, and she just couldn't bring herself to tell him the truth because she's so wishy washy with him.

It's kind of a shame Kala just doesn't care for him like he does for her, because dude's trying so hard to make it work.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I can't tell you how happy I am that Lito
    got the part in Hollywood. This means that Amanita can conceivably go out for a beer with Daniela or Hernando AT ANY TIME.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Just watched the episode with
    Will's dad passing away and I was bawling my eyes out. There's something about how they've captured that particular father/son relationship that really hits home for me.

Literally every single episode of this show either has a moment that makes me cry or makes me fist pump and I love it for it.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    got the part in Hollywood. This means that Amanita can conceivably go out for a beer with Daniela or Hernando AT ANY TIME.
    I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with that, though. Like, maybe it's because of Andy Dick, but I felt like that entire situation was going to go south real damn fast.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with that, though. Like, maybe it's because of Andy Dick, but I felt like that entire situation was going to go south real damn fast.
    The other shoe is that you have to hear the story of him putting the Oscar up his ass at least once a week

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The other shoe is that you have to hear the story of him putting the Oscar up his ass at least once a week
    If this were any other show, I would have been pretty stunned that they put that line in.

Sens8, tho? Nah. They went beyond that line by the first episode. Hell, one of the first scenes of the first episode involves two lesbians going at it with a rainbow strap-on.

I love this show so much.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2017
    omfg

(spoilers for very late season 2 stuff)
    Kala throwing back to Sun's words of encouragement from the S2 opening movie is the most perfect way to end the penultimate episode of the season.

(actual finale spoilers)
    Hooooooly crap.

When Joong-Ki starts bullshiting about Sun showing up, so that the entire building erupts into panic and he can kill Detective Mun while everyone is flipping out

Seeing the blood drain out of his smug fucking face when he realizes his sister, the woman who saw straight through his bullshit and cut down every fucker he tried to throw at her, is, in fact, RIGHT THERE in the building.

And she's looking him DEAD IN THE EYE.

So. Good.

Payback time, motherfucker.

edit edit:

omfg

I don't know if Kala making things fucking explode as her way of helping the team is a deliberate thing or just a fun coincidence, but I don't ever want it to stop happening.

OMFG

"Are you serious? My sister is the Terminator?!"

hnnnnnnnnnnnnng. This is incredibly satisfying.

Triple Edit:

Hmm. Yeah. Sun not having it in her to kill him seems fitting.

Plus, she'd have no way to clear her name.

Fake edit

Uhhhh Puck to the rescue, apparently? Huh. Go figure.

Goatmon on

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    There's bound to be another shoe dropping come season 3, but what I really appreciated about that whole thing was Lito buckling under impostor syndrome. It's a thing most creative people have experienced, and few ever really get rid of. I know it very well. You make some cool shit, but all you ever see is how much cooler and more competent other people's cool shit is. If you have any success you feel like you cheated your way into it. Surely any day now someone will notice that you actually don't know what you're doing, and what the hell are you doing in this house/circle/network of people anyway?

It's the worst, and the only thing that helps against it is the active use of your powers of self-delusion, but this time used for good. And I love that this show used Lito's success to give a nod to it.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    There's bound to be another shoe dropping come season 3, but what I really appreciated about that whole thing was Lito buckling under impostor syndrome. It's a thing most creative people have experienced, and few ever really get rid of. I know it very well. You make some cool shit, but all you ever see is how much cooler and more competent other people's cool shit is. If you have any success you feel like you cheated your way into it. Surely any day now someone will notice that you actually don't know what you're doing, and what the hell are you doing in this house/circle/network of people anyway?

It's the worst, and the only thing that helps against it is the active use of your powers of self-delusion, but this time used for good. And I love that this show used Lito's success to give a nod to it.

Full season stuff.
    Given the reception of the Wachowskis' work after The Matrix, I expect that they are quite familiar with Imposter Syndrome. In fact, I expect that many of the personal plots of the sensates' are heavily affected by their personal stories. Nomi's is the obvious one, but I bet a lot of the various sensates' complicated relationships with their parents can be traced to Lilly and Lana's own parents.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I gotta say

Seems like the dude has gone above and beyond to make Kala happy and do right by her.

Every time she seemed unhappy about something, he did whatever he could to resolve it.

He even gave her an opening to tell him she wanted out when he suspected her heart wasn't in it, and she just couldn't bring herself to tell him the truth because she's so wishy washy with him.

It's kind of a shame Kala just doesn't care for him like he does for her, because dude's trying so hard to make it work.

Mostly, but they temper it a bit with him being a bit of an asshole to everyone else until caught.

Also re:Wolfgang someone asked about:
    Far as we know he's still locked up, right? They have Whispers now, though, so I suspect some kind of trade. It's kind of not worth it, though. They need to kill Whispers, full stop, above anything else.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I gotta say

Mostly, but they temper it a bit with him being a bit of an asshole to everyone else until caught.

Also re:Wolfgang someone asked about:
    Far as we know he's still locked up, right? They have Whispers now, though, so I suspect some kind of trade. It's kind of not worth it, though. They need to kill Whispers, full stop, above anything else.
    Oh for sure.

Wolfgang would be the first one to chew them out if they made that move.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Finally managed to finish the season. I feel like this show manages to make me well up a little bit just about every episode.

Major highlight for me at the end of the season;
    At the big party with Sun hunting her brother, I thought to myself "she's basically the Terminator in sparkly hot pants". Then her brother agreed with me.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Not sure if posted already, but I liked this interview with Doona Bae, for a Korean 2016 LGBT film called A Girl At My Door.

https://wn.com/interview_with_doona_bae_on_a_girl_at_my_door

At about the 5 minute mark she talks about the experience of acting in English and how much more difficult it is for her than acting in Korean.

She also mentions the Wachowskis and Park Chan Wook as "respectable" directors. Whatever that means. :biggrin:

• Options
    Me, after finishing season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsEIu6-lciA

• Options
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    News of the decision also comes a day after Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings told CNBC at the Code Conference that he thinks the content platform hasn't canceled enough shows. "Our hit ratio is way too high right now," he said. "I'm always pushing the content team; we have to take more risk, you have to try more crazy things, because we should have a higher cancel rate overall."
    I don't get it. Is he saying their shows are too good and too many people like them and they should make more crap to hit some imagined optimal rate of having bad shows?
    It's that bullshit when professors think that havin a high a pass rate means their tests are too easy, not that students are learning all the material.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    FUUUUUCK THAT

We didnt even get a real ending

Honestly, though, I think there will be enough backlash to this, probably led by the LGBT community, that someone else will pick it up

• Options
    edited June 2017
    News of the decision also comes a day after Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings told CNBC at the Code Conference that he thinks the content platform hasn't canceled enough shows. "Our hit ratio is way too high right now," he said. "I'm always pushing the content team; we have to take more risk, you have to try more crazy things, because we should have a higher cancel rate overall."
    I don't get it. Is he saying their shows are too good and too many people like them and they should make more crap to hit some imagined optimal rate of having bad shows?
    It's that bullshit when professors think that havin a high a pass rate means their tests are too easy, not that students are learning all the material.

Sounds like they are taking the absolutely horrible industry practice of evaluating employees and then getting rid of the bottom 10-15% and applying it to their lineup.

Its possible that a department can have all good employees!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm baffled that Sense8 isn't considered one of the riskier shows

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I can only hope JMS is familiar enough with this practice that he can navigate the whole team to a different platform.

He saved B5 so let's hope he can save Sense8.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Oh my god really??? I am just.. heartbroken. Fuck.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    I'm baffled that Sense8 isn't considered one of the riskier shows

Yeah for real
    have to take more risk, you have to try more crazy things

is like literally Sense8 at its core

• Options
    He must mean riskier shows like the cutting edge content they created with Ironfist.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sense8 was one of the most expensive tv shows I have ever seen, considering the events, locations, etc.

I am not surprised Netflix dropped it, though I am sad. It was a very expensive show with a small but very dedicated audience.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If it was the cost I'd rather they said that instead of pretending it's an attempt to make something "riskier."

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    [constant internal screaming]

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm like 30 minutes from finishing this season, and that news is infuriating.

I have a feeling it will be amplified later this evening when I finish those 30 minutes.

God dammit. While I can understand that with their business model that they need to have a bunch of one-and-done TV shows to really push their product (The OA being a good example of a show that I thoroughly enjoyed, but doesn't need to come back), tell the creators for these shows that they're not getting renewed ahead of time, so they can give them some finality. This is what the resuscitation of old TV shows by Netflix originally gave us. Finales for shows that got axed before they could deliver one.

I'm hoping there's at least a two-hour special to finish it off.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm like 30 minutes from finishing this season, and that news is infuriating.

I have a feeling it will be amplified later this evening when I finish those 30 minutes.

God dammit. While I can understand that with their business model that they need to have a bunch of one-and-done TV shows to really push their product (The OA being a good example of a show that I thoroughly enjoyed, but doesn't need to come back), tell the creators for these shows that they're not getting renewed ahead of time, so they can give them some finality. This is what the resuscitation of old TV shows by Netflix originally gave us. Finales for shows that got axed before they could deliver one.

I'm hoping there's at least a two-hour special to finish it off.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    If it was the cost I'd rather they said that instead of pretending it's an attempt to make something "riskier."

You guys are reading that statement backwards. He's not looking for a show riskier than Sense8, he's looking to take more risks like Sense8. He sees cancellations as a sign that they are taking big swings. It's an odd metric to measure yourself by, where failure is the goal, but whatever.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I think they could convince Netflix to let them do a Christmas Special style thing if they wanted to.

But even that would be pretty expensive, due to the nature of the show.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Regardless, whatever the next thing the people that did this do is, I'm in

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I think they could convince Netflix to let them do a Christmas Special style thing if they wanted to.

But even that would be pretty expensive, due to the nature of the show.

Yeah I kinda expect that if they want to do anything, they might as well do a full season, as much work that has to go into it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

How often do these sorts of press releases come with the explicit statement of "this show was too goddamn expensive to make/profit margins weren't high enough"?

Like, I get that it'd be appreciated if the statement weren't such blatant nonsense (especially in relation to what show is being discussed), but I don't know that there is anything they could say to properly justify the cancellation other than it was stupid expensive to make.