As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Max Fury [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    hello

I fell asleep

I am awake again

I feel like one continuous bruise

Check your post history.

hth god bless

oh I know how I got most of these

I found a bitemark I can't recall getting, though

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

i have hundreds of games and every game i play today leaves me feeling like I'm not having as much fun as i could.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Learning Channel

(allegedly)

I haven't heard a peep about Honey Boo-Boo in a year so I assume that show, at least, was canceled.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it's funny because the fact that these women like younger men is completely irrelevant

that they are alcoholic, neglectful parents is the story here

but that's not how the show is framed

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The Learning Channel

(allegedly)

I haven't heard a peep about Honey Boo-Boo in a year so I assume that show, at least, was canceled.

yeah, that got cancelled because momma boo boo's boyfriend is a child molester and that's bad for ad revenue

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The Learning Channel

(allegedly)

Well yeah.

the mom made a rather big mistake involving her dating a child molester and letting him into the home.

so TLC had to pull the plug.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

i have hundreds of games and every game i play today leaves me feeling like I'm not having as much fun as i could.

You've built up a tolerance. Unplug for a month and dry out.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

tbf most games aren't like amazing or anything

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    The Learning Channel

(allegedly)

wasn't that show cancelled after it turned out her mom was dating a child molester or something

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    hello

I fell asleep

I am awake again

Check your post history.

hth god bless

How bad is the bite? Might be worth getting it looked at, or at least some solid septic creams just given how quickly those can become badly infected.

t: Have had to get a friend to hospital in a country that didn't speak english less then twelve hours after getting bitten because of how enflamed it had become.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    hello

I fell asleep

I am awake again

Check your post history.

hth god bless

How bad is the bite? Might be worth getting it looked at, or at least some solid septic creams just given how quickly those can become badly infected.

t: Have had to get a friend to hospital in a country that didn't speak english less then twelve hours after getting bitten because of how enflamed it had become.
    we are the walking dead

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the new cat aggressively licks toys once she's caught them
    she also wamts to paw at and nibble on your hand when you pet her
    crazy cat

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I really should stop thinking about things late at night.

Last night's theme was thinking that planets are turning out to be pretty common in the galaxy, so where the hell is all the intelligent life?

Basically my conclusion was Reapers (elder gods) are probably real, and the only comfort is that our generation isn't the one that gets eaten.

EDIT: Other things to avoid thinking about - that future Futurama episode where they travel to the end of the universe.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    hello

I fell asleep

I am awake again

Check your post history.

hth god bless

just bruises. didn't break the skin. that would have been kinda weird.

B was staying sober for fire safety purposes and regularily caught me and made me sit down so she could disinfect any fresh wounds

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Last night's theme was thinking that planets are turning out to be pretty common in the galaxy, so where the hell is all the intelligent life?

Basically my conclusion was Reapers (elder gods) are probably real, and the only comfort is that our generation isn't the one that gets eaten.

EDIT: Other things to avoid thinking about - that future Futurama episode where they travel to the end of the universe.

Planets that support life in a format we are aware exists are very very few, and so far apart that by the time light from them ever reaches us (or the inverse) we will have long since passed into oblivion.

The universe is probably littered with thousands - tens of thousands of flashes in the pan as successful as ours, if not moreso.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

If I could just not be constantly trying to survive in the games industry I could be learning how to make the game that would let you have as much fun as you could.

Also maybe more.

It might kill you.

• Options

i think the "solution" to the Fermi Paradox is that FTL doesn't exist, anywhere

there is no solution to the sheer vastness of space and our assumption that alien life would and should be out there exploring and broadcasting into space like we want to, in a way that we can currently detect, is this weird kind of humanocentrism

there is life out there, it just doesn't give a shit about us and it's making no special effort to find us, and there's no magic way to get faster between the stars so there's generally not a lot of interestellar travel going on.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

If I could just not be constantly trying to survive in the games industry I could be learning how to make the game that would let you have as much fun as you could.

Also maybe more.

It might kill you.

Opium Den 64.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Planets that support life in a format we are aware exists are very very few, and so far apart that by the time light from them ever reaches us (or the inverse) we will have long since passed into oblivion.

The universe is probably littered with thousands - tens of thousands of flashes in the pan as successful as ours, if not moreso.

See the part that's really bothersome though is that it would only take 1 surviving for a very long time to make their presence known on essentially every habitable planet in the galaxy - if they wanted to. There's almost certainly more then 1 which has, so why didn't they, or what did they end up doing instead?

Also it's occurred to me that in terms of government and social policy, the discovery of an archive of more advanced species history would be pretty much the rosetta stone of civic planning. An actual roadmap of one or several civilizations which dealt with advanced technology, and what did and did not work, would be staggeringly valuable.

• Options
    Uuuuughhhhhhhhhh.

Also maybe more.

It might kill you.

Opium Den 64.

zzjak9he08ce.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

there is no solution to the sheer vastness of space and our assumption that alien life would and should be out there exploring and broadcasting into space like we want to, in a way that we can currently detect, is this weird kind of humanocentrism

there is life out there, it just doesn't give a shit about us and it's making no special effort to find us, and there's no magic way to get faster between the stars so there's generally not a lot of interestellar travel going on.

Kind of tangential, but I'd like to think that alien life probably lives on like a vastly different timescale than we do.

Like there's a good chance it lives and dies on scales that would make it almost completely impossible for us to really interface with it on any level.

Like talking to Ents x 1000.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Kind of tangential, but I'd like to think that alien life probably lives on like a vastly different timescale than we do.

Like there's a good chance it lives and dies on scales that would make it almost completely impossible for us to really interface with it on any level.

Yeah, but that life has no special reason to be more advanced than the essentially immortal fungus we have here on Earth.

Intelligence evolves when it helps a species to survive, otherwise it's just a waste of energy.

• Options

This was, incidentally, my interpretation of what was going on in the Gears of War series and why they had this oddly whacky technology level. The whole civilization was the descendants of human colonization in a universe without FTL. So we'd landed on this planet with an ecosystem we didn't fully understand, but there was no where left to go after that anyway.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently there is now a trophy

HVEGHdf.jpg

Does the horse put this on its mantle in its horse house?

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

Yeah, but that life has no special reason to be more advanced than the essentially immortal fungus we have here on Earth.

Intelligence evolves when it helps a species to survive, otherwise it's just a waste of energy.

Well, yeah, but the concept that there's other intelligent life somewhere in the universe is sort of like the concept that there's other life that uses wing-like structures to "fly" somewhere in the universe: given that life happens frequently enough (which I don't really know), then it's not strange to assume it might happen many times across the universe.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    i don't know the specifics of our attempts to contact alien life but i suspect its been throwing messages in bottles into the vastness of space
    two ships, etc.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently there is now a trophy

HVEGHdf.jpg

Does the horse put this on its mantle in its horse house?

...do you mean stable or are horses watch ESPN in a living room after work now?

• Options
    sci fi really changes dramatically once you take FTL out of the equation

like if you say "no FTL" (or any other kind of FTL-like conceits like wormholes or mass effect relays or any of that) then suddenly you're in a much harder, more grounded place and if you're writing something with any kind of realistic scale to how fucking big space is you start to understand just how ridiculous fretting about stuff like Fermi is

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Our current attempts to contact alien life are idiotic unless we assume they're in orbit.

We've been looking for half a century, that's a 50ly search radius

Might as well spit in the ocean and hope you hit a squid

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Our current attempts to contact alien life are idiotic unless we assume they're in orbit.

Or a kid.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    If you assume advanced alien life doesn't use radio waves in a way that would broadcast themselves and that they don't really care about life on earth then it stops being a paradox and more a case of them just not being into us because we smell.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Or a kid.

Or a squid.

• Options
    sci fi really changes dramatically once you take FTL out of the equation

like if you say "no FTL" (or any other kind of FTL-like conceits like wormholes or mass effect relays or any of that) then suddenly you're in a much harder, more grounded place and if you're writing something with any kind of realistic scale to how fucking big space is you start to understand just how ridiculous fretting about stuff like Fermi is

Incidentally you should look up the lore for Rimworld. The whole game-verse is set in exactly this type of place, to the extent that space-travel has a weird type of fatalism to it.

• Options
    The paradox is really stupid and doesn't take into account anything about the realities of space as we currently know it.

It is incredibly outmoded

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    As sad as it is, without FTL it becomes really ridiculous to dream of going to other solar systems.

Not only will you not survive it without cold sleep and incredible AI manning and repairing the ship, but you'll be completely cut off from the rest of the species and the world forever, and you'll get no support from anything but crazy libertarian would-be god-kings.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

But even if you plug in just the fastest speed that human shuttles have reached, you still get most of the galaxy being colonized.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I watched Jurassic Park again after someone mentioned it earlier.

As a kid I did not clock that Jeff Goldblum spends most of the movie either hitting on Laura Dern, or essentially shirtless.

I also discovered the "Clever Girl" guy died of cancer really young. That's pretty sad.

It still holds up pretty well though!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

Actually we're mostly not trying. There's been no serious effort to contact alien life other then the 1 or 2 publicity stunt messages which definitely won't find anyone.

The exciting stuff has been the developments in technology what mean when we find an Earth-like we'll be able to do spectroscopy on it's atmosphere, and the use of the planet-hunting survey data by SETI to direct their searches.

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    If you assume advanced alien life doesn't use radio waves in a way that would broadcast themselves and that they don't really care about life on earth then it stops being a paradox and more a case of them just not being into us because we smell.

What if the aliens are sapient germs and our immune systems attack them automatically as soon as they meet humans?

Intergalactic war, that's what!

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

But even if you plug in just the fastest speed that human shuttles have reached, you still get most of the galaxy being colonized.

Colonized by who? Aliens who want to die on a space ship so that their great great great great great grandkids can spend a thousand years developing a world in order to send out another ship full of their kids who they will never see again?

This discussion has been closed.