As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-New, All-Different [Superhero Thread]: Howard the Duck gets a new hat!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Maybe adapting all those Frank Miller stories finally just broke Bruce Timm. Also it's hard to say that this is what Timm looks like unchecked because Alan Burnett, the third part of the DCAU with Timm and Dini, is also heavily involved in the Gods and Monsters stuff.

Also these mini-episodes have been renewed for a second season next year already. There are also no other DC Direct-to-Video movies announced so far.

He is still working for WB. It's not like he can just say that MoS was crap even if he did hate it.

Yeah, but here's an interview with him on Kotaku today where he basically says he doesn't understand why Superheroes still have no-kill rules in 2015, when the audience for comics has gotten older. It seems like he feels that would be the legitimate progression of superhero stories, to revoke that rule.
    I mean the only superheroes that still have no kill rules are the ones for whom its an ingrained part of the character.

This has me thinking. Which superheroes in the comics still have a pretty strong no-kill rule? Superman, Batman, Shazam, and Flash all spring to mind on the DC side. Daredevil and Spider-Man on the Marvel side. Green Lantern and Captain America used to have no-kill rules, but discarded them in recent years.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many, but those are the ones that readily come to mind.

I'm not sure Daredevil really counts. He doesn't have a "no kill rule" so much as a "wanting to avoid damning his soul". He really wants to kill some people, and his arc is more about him wanting to avoid becoming like them by giving in. However he will totally call on some of the biblical "cheats" if he's pushed far enough.

I mean, how is that so different from Batman?

I am certain beyond any doubt that he wants to kill people. But he chooses not to, and forces himself not to, due to a higher moral purpose.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Might try and start my Fables marathon tomorrow.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so i logged in to marvel heroes after god knows how long and I realized I had a thousand eternity splinters so I bought Doom and what a great decision that was

his power descriptions are amazing

Teleport: Impending Doom. "Nothing will stop Doom. Nothing can hinder Doom. Doom goes where Doom pleases"

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    what i mostly want from bruce timm is for him to be able to draw more than one female body type

like here's harley quinn, the joker's sexy sidekick, sure sure fine

now could we get a female character whose silhouette is as distinct from harley's as the joker's is from batman

i mean i get that it would make it more difficult for you to masturbate to her but don't you already have someone for that

They actually said on DCAU DVD commentaries that Bruce Timm sucks at drawing different female body types. They wanted him to design a more brawny female villain for one of the newer Batman episodes and all his designs were bad.

The problem is really obvious in the episode with Supergirl and Batgirl. You wouldn't even be able to tell them apart in their civilian clothing if it wasn't for their hair color.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The think tank also includes Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, Ready Player One adapter Zak Penn, Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Jeff Pinkner, Iron Man writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, Short Circuit remake writer Lindsey Beer, and Shut In writer Christina Hodson.
    Sounds like a fun and rewarding process!

can you really put that you wrote iron man on your resume, marcum and holloway

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Maybe adapting all those Frank Miller stories finally just broke Bruce Timm. Also it's hard to say that this is what Timm looks like unchecked because Alan Burnett, the third part of the DCAU with Timm and Dini, is also heavily involved in the Gods and Monsters stuff.

Also these mini-episodes have been renewed for a second season next year already. There are also no other DC Direct-to-Video movies announced so far.

He is still working for WB. It's not like he can just say that MoS was crap even if he did hate it.

Yeah, but here's an interview with him on Kotaku today where he basically says he doesn't understand why Superheroes still have no-kill rules in 2015, when the audience for comics has gotten older. It seems like he feels that would be the legitimate progression of superhero stories, to revoke that rule.
    I mean the only superheroes that still have no kill rules are the ones for whom its an ingrained part of the character.

This has me thinking. Which superheroes in the comics still have a pretty strong no-kill rule? Superman, Batman, Shazam, and Flash all spring to mind on the DC side. Daredevil and Spider-Man on the Marvel side. Green Lantern and Captain America used to have no-kill rules, but discarded them in recent years.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many, but those are the ones that readily come to mind.

I'm not sure Daredevil really counts. He doesn't have a "no kill rule" so much as a "wanting to avoid damning his soul". He really wants to kill some people, and his arc is more about him wanting to avoid becoming like them by giving in. However he will totally call on some of the biblical "cheats" if he's pushed far enough.

I mean, how is that so different from Batman?

I am certain beyond any doubt that he wants to kill people. But he chooses not to, and forces himself not to, due to a higher moral purpose.

Daredevil tips over that line sometimes and not because he was being written by someone who didn't understand the character at the time.

Daredevil set out to kill Fisk and was damned sure that he had done it, even though he actually failed.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The think tank also includes Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, Ready Player One adapter Zak Penn, Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Jeff Pinkner, Iron Man writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, Short Circuit remake writer Lindsey Beer, and Shut In writer Christina Hodson.
    Sounds like a fun and rewarding process!

Mark Wahlberg decapitates Shia Labeouf with Bumblebee when Shia tries to date his daughter.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wait, short circuit remake?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Wait, short circuit remake?

I was gonna say...

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Chappie

• Options
    I found this post by John Seavey on MightyGodKing to be pretty funny.
    http://mightygodking.com/2015/06/08/my-hopes-for-the-post-secret-wars-marvel-universe/
    He makes a series of demands to Marvel, detailing his expectations for the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe
    3) Bring back the Sentry. Then kill him off again, in an even more painful and ignominious fashion.

4) Bring back the Spider-Marriage. Then bring back Gwen Stacy and have her marry Peter too. Then have Betty Brant, Liz Allan, Felicia Hardy and Deb Whitman all marry him as well due to a series of wacky misunderstandings, turning the series into an anime-style harem comic.

10) Look, would it kill ya to bring back US-1? I got a feeling that Citizens Band radio is coming back in a big way, here. Maybe include Razorback as a supporting character for added sizzle.
    Unfortunately Brian Clevenger might be too busy to do a US-1 book.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The fact that Rachel's gotten to the tier of ascended superfan is pretty awesome

I haven't ascended until I get a damn script published

Give me five years and you'll see what I'm capable of.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Now that I've slept and am no longer sucked deep into Heroes, I gotta say, holy cow that event yesterday was insane. I started at level 22 and in blues yesterday, finished out the marathon at level 60 full uniques.

The Midtown Madness boxes are crazy

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ya'll, Groot #1 is super good.

Kesinger draws a real good Rocket

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Green_Goblin_Death_zps692c7876.jpg

This is not Spider-man killing someone.

"So do the proud men die: Crucified, not on a cross of gold...

...but on a stake of humble tin"

Man that's cool

Stan Lee knew his business!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The fact that Rachel's gotten to the tier of ascended superfan is pretty awesome

I haven't ascended until I get a damn script published

Give me five years and you'll see what I'm capable of.

Things great and terrible, which the mortal flesh is not suited to witness?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So anyone wondering how out of hand doom gets as a summoner.

There is no other players in this screenshot, this is all doombots ( and a team up, and a Herbie pet)

C6BC53EFB0F96BE951A3ECE460FFC720DCA3F086

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I found this post by John Seavey on MightyGodKing to be pretty funny.
    http://mightygodking.com/2015/06/08/my-hopes-for-the-post-secret-wars-marvel-universe/
    He makes a series of demands to Marvel, detailing his expectations for the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe
    3) Bring back the Sentry. Then kill him off again, in an even more painful and ignominious fashion.

4) Bring back the Spider-Marriage. Then bring back Gwen Stacy and have her marry Peter too. Then have Betty Brant, Liz Allan, Felicia Hardy and Deb Whitman all marry him as well due to a series of wacky misunderstandings, turning the series into an anime-style harem comic.

10) Look, would it kill ya to bring back US-1? I got a feeling that Citizens Band radio is coming back in a big way, here. Maybe include Razorback as a supporting character for added sizzle.
    Unfortunately Brian Clevenger might be too busy to do a US-1 book.

you know what though, I think I'm on board with the other seven ideas

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    They should have had the Swimsuit Zone on Battleworld. A whole series of swimsuit issues. Have the overarching plot be... I dunno, some bad guy attacking the beach. Hmm, I have created Archie VS Predator.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    'you're for jail, mister' is a pretty good line

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hating on the Sentry :(

I thought you were cool, MGK

• Options
    MGK hasn't posted on mightygodking.com for a while. I dunno what's up with that. I think he might be busy with work.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hating on the Sentry :(

I thought you were cool, MGK

Hating on the sentry is p cool

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I don't hate the Sentry. But killing him off just feels right you know?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Green_Goblin_Death_zps692c7876.jpg

This is not Spider-man killing someone.

"So do the proud men die: Crucified, not on a cross of gold...

...but on a stake of humble tin"

Man that's cool

Stan Lee knew his business!

(Gerry Conway wrote that)

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    What's a Gerry Conway?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    What's a Gerry Conway?

about 200 lbs

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    What's a Gerry Conway?

about 200 lbs
    Go to hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What's really funny to me about that line is how it sort of sounds like Conway got the idea from William Jennings Bryan's famous "cross of gold" speech, which is about how the gold standard sucks

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    What's a Gerry Conway?

about 200 lbs
    Go to hell

yuk yuk yuk yuk

• Options
    What's a Gerry Conway?

about 200 lbs
    Go to hell

yuk yuk yuk yuk
    What is the sound everyone makes upon seeing Chincy for the first time?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    <3

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What's a Gerry Conway?

about 200 lbs
    Go to hell

yuk yuk yuk yuk
    What is the sound everyone makes upon seeing Chincy for the first time?

In my experience its usually something along the lines of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_QLRFMWEds

• Options
    I can't wait to make full on transition to dad jokester

• Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    what i mostly want from bruce timm is for him to be able to draw more than one female body type

like here's harley quinn, the joker's sexy sidekick, sure sure fine

now could we get a female character whose silhouette is as distinct from harley's as the joker's is from batman

i mean i get that it would make it more difficult for you to masturbate to her but don't you already have someone for that

They actually said on DCAU DVD commentaries that Bruce Timm sucks at drawing different female body types. They wanted him to design a more brawny female villain for one of the newer Batman episodes and all his designs were bad.

The problem is really obvious in the episode with Supergirl and Batgirl. You wouldn't even be able to tell them apart in their civilian clothing if it wasn't for their hair color.

I kinda remember reading that the body types were kept nearly identical because it also made manufacturing the action figures easier, but I don't know if that was true. Also while it's a small touch, I think Hawkgirl was built a bit differently from the standard DCAU female figure.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

ooooooooof, people are not going to like this

it's gonna make for some good hate-reading on their FB page

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

ooooooooof, people are not going to like this

it's gonna make for some good hate-reading on their FB page

I mean, do they have any announcements?

Last year they kind of put it all on the table.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    They had their own thing

they have no reason to go there

this is like Nintendo skipping the press announcements at E3

they have such a large fan base they straight up don't need an event around them

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    it's just like E3, people are realizing that they can do this shit themselves.

Marvel will do their own press event in the Fall, not have to worry about being at Comic Con, and it will be a huge news cycle for them.

This discussion has been closed.