As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] This thread was punched into oblivion, post in the new one

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    ca37c531a6ff97d9b1e8897ca53027d83874cf64.jpg

Looks like Marilyn Manson cosplaying Alex Mercer.

He's... a vampire.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well the coat could simply be to block set photos they don't want people taking, not necessarily part of the costume.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'd really like to see a [prototype] movie.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't know how "fun gameplay retard rodeo story" really translates to the big screen? Uhh the ff movies?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man-sized Godzilla wrecks city.

But I guess we've already had Man of Steel.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Man-sized Godzilla wrecks city.

But I guess we've already had Man of Steel.

My god, he's disappeared! How did we lose a fifty foot Godzilla Superman - he was right there a moment ago.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    New photos of Suicide Squad's Joker. Looks like the tats are still in. Also, Leto describes his Joker as "almost Shakespearian." Riiiiiiight.

Also, looks like a heavily-tattooed Common (what's up with this flick and tats?) is in it too as... somebody.

Reports are he's playing The Tattooed Man, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to not have any.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Tattooed Man. Fighting Batman? In a purple car? Alongside Harley Quinn? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh you guys meant Common. Goddammit, with how looney tunes this movie is, I legit thought the latest rumour was that Jared Leto was playing The Tattooed Man.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    ca37c531a6ff97d9b1e8897ca53027d83874cf64.jpg

Looks like Marilyn Manson cosplaying Alex Mercer.

They're clearly taking some inspiration from Mark Hamill.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    This Gods and Monsters thing looks dumber with each preview video I see.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The DC animated movies are about an hour long anyway, and they've given previews for about a third of the film so far.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Are they previews? I thought they were separate things that won't be in the main movie.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also the Zoderman one was the best.

• Options
    Those are stand alone shorts independent of the movie.

I would guess that this world will end up being more like the MCU than the DCAU.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    New photos of Suicide Squad's Joker. Looks like the tats are still in. Also, Leto describes his Joker as "almost Shakespearian." Riiiiiiight.

No, it's totally Shakespearean.

He's really drawing from Timon of Athen's "complete piece of shit" style.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Are they previews? I thought they were separate things that won't be in the main movie.

Yeah they're releasing episodes separate from the movie, in the same universe.

We've gotten 3 to start with (Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman) and then a second season with 10 episodes.

I've enjoyed all three quite a bit so far. Especially the Superman one.

I mean, yeah this is a really horrible version of the justice league, but it's kind of the point. I have zero problems with an alternate universe story depicting these sorts of characters.

As opposed to, say, Justice League War.

Which was just a shit movie with shit characters.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I don't think this version of the Justice League are necessarily bad people. I think that they're going to be more like soldiers and spies rather than superheroes. I doubt that it'll be dark and edgy for its own sake, except maybe for Batman.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well no, they're not all horrible, but they're definitely not very heroic in how they go about their business.

Batman is pretty horrible, though.
    He eats Harley Quinn.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Batman is played by Michael C. Hall.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd be more down with Gods and Monsters if "Superheroes, but with an edge" didn't seem like greater bulk of DC's current output right now.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing that bugs me the most about the edgy grimdark approach is that people brag about how its so much more "mature" then the "kids movies" that marvel kicks out.

I wish I could articulate to them that you don't have to have a bleak dystopian setting in order to tell a "mature" story, that you can tell one by exploring themes and idea's in a subject in ways that don't require your characters to have DBZ style fights.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I don't think this version of the Justice League are necessarily bad people. I think that they're going to be more like soldiers and spies rather than superheroes. I doubt that it'll be dark and edgy for its own sake, except maybe for Batman.

I actually really liked the Superman one

Not nearly enough to wash the taste of Batman being a vampire or that Harley Quinn episode out of my mouth though

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I would really like the endgame of Gods and Monsters to be a crossover to the JLU universe.

But it's not going to happen.

But it already has in my head.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I would really like the endgame of Gods and Monsters to be a crossover to the JLU universe.

So basically the Justice Lords episodes, except not as well done and without being a component into a larger story arc?

sig.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Also, saw this on Cracked today and felt it was relevant in the DC thread.

5 Ways Batman's TRUE Creator Got Screwed Out Of His Legacy

sig.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It is astonishing how shitty Bob Kane's tombstone is.

And man, it might not be much but I do hope that the tide can keep turning and eventually people will only associate Bill Finger with Batman.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I kindof thought that's what was happening since Harley expected Bats to take her to jail. I thought it was imposter Bats or alternate universe Bats ruining amok eating villains and the real Bats would have to stop him or some shit.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Read All-Star Superman today! Was mostly excellent. I liked the use of Jor El's flight speech from Man of Steel - is that like an oft quoted thing from old stories or something?

Hated that whole Bizarro arc in the middle though. Everything about Bizarro is just the worst.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Holy shit, that Bob Kane tombstone! You could almost make a drinking game out of it; take a drink every time Bob Kane's tombstone mentions Batman.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular

Ha, the tantalizing slip of the guy's costume was a nice touch, though. It's like Wonder Woman's sexually empowered shtick here infects the very rules of the camera.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Classic Kirk shirt rip. The Wonder Woman short was pretty good, and minus the Mother Box mention and using a Boom Tube wasn't very different from a standard WW story. I'm a big Jack Kirby New Gods fan, but I didn't know anything about Bekka before this. Was she a throw away character, or was there more to her than just being Orion's wife?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Her New52 iteration.

Before the universe was rebooted though, she wasn't much more than Orion's wife, from what I remember.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Read All-Star Superman today! Was mostly excellent. I liked the use of Jor El's flight speech from Man of Steel - is that like an oft quoted thing from old stories or something?

Hated that whole Bizarro arc in the middle though. Everything about Bizarro is just the worst.

I actually really liked that take on Bizarro. The shapeshifting, interdimensional superpredator thing is just so insane and awesome. It, a lot like the rest of All-Star Superman, represents part of why I like comics; the freedom of the medium to explore fucking batshit crazy ideas.

• Options
    I think it's the backwards meaning talk, y'know? It feels goofy in a bad way. The book was full of other goofy stuff that I had no problem buying into like the super power serum he just comes up with to gift Lois, or the time travel shenanigans. And Lex was a perfect prick. So goood.

Like I said, I think the book as a whole was excellent, and the DC movies should aspire to be more like it. But I can recognize that's a helluva fine line. Bizarro as presented in that book would be poison in a movie, IMO. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Classic Kirk shirt rip. The Wonder Woman short was pretty good, and minus the Mother Box mention and using a Boom Tube wasn't very different from a standard WW story. I'm a big Jack Kirby New Gods fan, but I didn't know anything about Bekka before this. Was she a throw away character, or was there more to her than just being Orion's wife?

Regular Wonder Woman isn't keen on killing dudes like it's a sport and isn't going to get freaky in a room filled with corpses she murdered minutes ago.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to track down the All-Star Superman comic -- I liked the animated adaptation but they skipped over Bizarro completely.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I think it's the backwards meaning talk, y'know? It feels goofy in a bad way. The book was full of other goofy stuff that I had no problem buying into like the super power serum he just comes up with to gift Lois, or the time travel shenanigans.

That's fair, actually. The Bizarro speak was a little hurdle for me, too. I think it takes a really skilled hand or maybe blind luck to pull off that sort of thing. It's kind of like Yoda in Star Wars. He's quirky in the original trilogy, but some of his lines in the prequels are just unbearably forced.

• Options

Regular Wonder Woman isn't keen on killing dudes like it's a sport and isn't going to get freaky in a room filled with corpses she murdered minutes ago.

They sexed and violenced it up, but it's not that far removed from this Brave and the Bold cold open;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKXBxK82LE

kyrcl.png