As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Book] Thread 20XXAD

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    my boy S A M U E L (skip to 3:57 the embed caused me suffering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N99S8n2TiA&feature=youtu.be&t=237

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I finished off Walkaways. Was it recommended here? I can't remember

It reminded me a great deal of Atlas Shrugged in the way it presents an ideology as good and just and all others as evil. Also it has the same magic science machines that solve scarcity

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm about 85% of the way through Embassytown, and I have some serious respect for Mieville.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, fuck. Harlan Ellison has passed away. One of the greats of SF.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Well, fuck. Harlan Ellison has passed away. One of the greats of SF.

Also, as I recall from all the drama around Cons and such, kind of a sexist dickhole.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I finished off Walkaways. Was it recommended here? I can't remember

It reminded me a great deal of Atlas Shrugged in the way it presents an ideology as good and just and all others as evil. Also it has the same magic science machines that solve scarcity

I just couldn't hook into this at all. For me, It felt like him writing a fanfic set in one of William Gibson's worlds. That sounds overly critical, which is unfair. It just didn't do it for me personally.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Seven Forges is some generic fantasy trash, but in the best way it can be. It's predictable and shallow and devoid of characterisation and yet I just bought the second book (sadly, not called Eight Forges).

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Man, Annihilation is kind of a weird book. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the sequels.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, Annihilation is kind of a weird book. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the sequels.

YOU SHOULD AS THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I blazed through every Brandon Sanderson Cosmere-connected book (Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn series, Wax and Wayne, the three books of The Stormlight Archive, the novellas...) in the last month, and now I just want more huge interconnected stories.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Different subject matter, but same weirdness. I really liked the series, but if he bounced off Annihilation then stopping seems pretty reasonable.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

Different subject matter, but same weirdness. I really liked the series, but if he bounced off Annihilation then stopping seems pretty reasonable.

Yup, if you didn't get fully in the tank after book 1, the other 2 will not improve for you. I dug the whole batch, but I think 1 was the strongest standalone experience.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Finished the broken earth trilogy while out in the cottage and it was pretty great. I really enjoy Jemisins writing, and her worldbuilding is incredible. Not too obtuse, but still letting it happen somewhat organically through the book.

And the flashback chapters in the third book were great, getting more and more sinister as they ground towards the inevitable ending.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Finished reading The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi, and I have to say that while the setting and characters were pretty neat, the plot and the reveal at the end were kinda eh? I'm still not exactly sure what the reveal was supposed to mean. The author got much too hung up in making a whole new dictionary of terms to remember that the story is what matters.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think it's worth noting that Humble Bundle's current ebook bundle is the works of Chuck Tingle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/chuck-tingle-books

If you somehow don't know who that is by now, well you're in for a treat.

• Options

I mean, I didn't bounce, it just didn't really resolve.

I've put the next one on hold, as its a short enough book, and I might as well give it a try. I'm trying to put my finger on what about it bothered me, and I think it might just be that I'm coming to this stuff from a hard scifi kick, and so it feels a little loose.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I think it's worth noting that Humble Bundle's current ebook bundle is the works of Chuck Tingle.

Is there anything to his work for someone who is into absurdist humor but not so much into gay erotica? Asking for a friend.

• Options
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Is there anything to his work for someone who is into absurdist humor but not so much into gay erotica? Asking for a friend.

As someone who isn't particularly aroused by gay erotica, his stories are still pretty amusing. I don't know that I would read more than one or two, but Bigfoot Sommelier Butt Tasting was totally worth reading.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I read the Gardner Dozois collection of best sci-fi short stories from 2016, and these 3 were my favorite if you were, I dunno, maybe a little preoccupied that year
    Touring with the Alien by Carolyn Gilman Probably the best story in the collection. In the present day, a professional driver takes a mysterious alien and its strange human handler around the US countryside, and she discovers more than she was expecting about the aliens and herself.
    One Sister, Two Sisters, Three by James Kelly Two sisters sell cookies and trinkets to tourists of the ruins of a long gone civilization, but their lives change when one of them finds a connection with a visiting academic. A beautifully rendered story of sibling rivalry and cultural conflict.
    Patience Lake by Matthew Claxton A fairly straightforward story, but the execution makes it engaging. Set in near future Canada, a homeless cyborg (and Army veteran) is just trying to survive, but he finds himself obligated to help a family that helped him.
    Runner Up: Checkerboard Planet by Eleanor Arnason A few painful cliches aside (the lengthy description of the protagonist's embedded AI hacking the interwebs was severe "what year is it?"), this was a neat idea about investigating a planet with a very strange ecology.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I've put the next one on hold, as its a short enough book, and I might as well give it a try. I'm trying to put my finger on what about it bothered me, and I think it might just be that I'm coming to this stuff from a hard scifi kick, and so it feels a little loose.

Yeah if you're looking for full resolutions and explanations you'll probably be disappointed by the series.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Yeah if you're looking for full resolutions and explanations you'll probably be disappointed by the series.

I mean, The City & The City left the operation of the Cities and the Breach somewhat in question, but the story itself at least had a solid resolution. We'll see, I'll at least read Authority.

I really wish my library had the 3rd Ninefox Gambit book in e-book format.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Picked up Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse, and Missoula by Jon Krakauer.

The first one because it’s been getting a lot of buzz around these parts, and the second one because I’m interested in the subject matter (the long term coverup by Missoula police of sexual assaults connected to the University of Montana football program). It came out in 2015 but somehow I missed it on my radar.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Apparently I missed that there was a new Expanse novel (came out the end of last year, just didn't catch it), I am excite.

No holds on the eBook, today is coming up aces.

And my library finally got an e-copy of Revenant Gun for me to request.

Brody on

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Folio Society, makers of very pretty but very expensive illustrated editions of classic books, are having a 50% off sale: http://www.foliosociety.com/category/10215/summer-sale

-

I looked up a book of Christina Rossetti poems with a fantastic cover illustration that caught my eye a while back, only to find out that it's out of print:

9pONH27.png?1

But then I thought to check Amazon, and they had a relatively inexpensive used version, in "very good" condition, so I got that.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2018
    Finished reading The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi, and I have to say that while the setting and characters were pretty neat, the plot and the reveal at the end were kinda eh? I'm still not exactly sure what the reveal was supposed to mean. The author got much too hung up in making a whole new dictionary of terms to remember that the story is what matters.

It's more of an old dictionary, really. Lots of Russian philosophy and cosmism going on. But at least in that book I could understand most stuff, things in The Fractal Prince got even more obscure.

Echo on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

It's more of an old dictionary, really. Lots of Russian philosophy and cosmism going on. But at least in that book I could understand most stuff, things in The Fractal Prince got even more obscure.

does that deeper background into the ideas associated with the terminology give you a better inside into what's happening? Is Gogol much more than a name drop?

the series deal with enough stuff I haven't really seen much before that i didn't mind the jargon too much. but I used to be a serious weab. that's water off a duck's back.

For me it did a decent enough job describing the stuff that that the events and motivations were something i felt i had a good handle on the second time through. and I freaking love posthuman world building.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Was this linked here?

Well here it is again, some cool recs here

https://www.gq.com/story/21-books-you-dont-have-to-read

cool article

however I recommend both blood meridian and the sisters brothers >:[

• Options

Ah, that is why it sounded like Greek to me. I got some of the references, like Gogol, but it took some work. Maybe if I read it and saw the words, it might have helped more, instead of listening to it on audiobook. I'm still not sure what happened in the finale:
    with the bullets and the memories of people that weren't actually people (maybe they were created AIs? I'm not sure) and Jean's "double" but not actually his double in the needle. Was he the "real" Jean and the Jean we were following throughout the book a copy? I was super confused by this.

So, if you're up for it, I'd be grateful for any explanations. :)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Was this linked here?

cool article

I really liked Slaughterhouse-Five. :( Though maybe liked is the wrong word, it is a super depressing book. I liked it in much the same way I liked 1984.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Was this linked here?

cool article

I really liked Slaughterhouse-Five. :( Though maybe liked is the wrong word, it is a super depressing book. I liked it in much the same way I liked 1984.

I'm down with all those

Ain't nothing wrong with reading ALL the books

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Ah, that is why it sounded like Greek to me. I got some of the references, like Gogol, but it took some work. Maybe if I read it and saw the words, it might have helped more, instead of listening to it on audiobook. I'm still not sure what happened in the finale:
    with the bullets and the memories of people that weren't actually people (maybe they were created AIs? I'm not sure) and Jean's "double" but not actually his double in the needle. Was he the "real" Jean and the Jean we were following throughout the book a copy? I was super confused by this.

So, if you're up for it, I'd be grateful for any explanations. :)

Been a while and no promises I really understood it perfectly but:
    The bullets were linked to the Time storage devices of his friends. Firing them totally erased all the memories and converted those people, who were Jean's friends when he was around Mars the first time, into Quiet and they would never return to being people. The important thing to understand is that those memories only exist in the mainframe equivalents. Firing them basically erases the people who were his friends completely. Jean is not really a nice guy despite how much the book makes you like him.

"Real" Jean is going to get into huge problems. It isn't really clear in QT but it looks like Jean is sorta like the Sobernost but on a much smaller scale. He has been copied many times and versions exist of him all over. There are probably thousands of him still in the Dilemma prison for example. The "other" Jean in QT was another branch of him that had established himself as the secret ruler of Mars awhile ago and the "real" Jean that we follow was split from him or at least those memories before that happened.

What the "real" anyone is in the book is an open question since so many folks have been copied/edited or outsource their memories. Well except for Meili until the end of the book.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I needed something light and fun to take my mind off the endless hopeless doom, and I found a book by Catherynne Valente, Space Opera.

Think of it as Douglas Adams does Space Eurovision. That kinda gives you the idea. After the terrible catastrophic war that wiped out planets and species and nearly destroyed intergalactic civilization, the only way the disparate survivors could figure out to come together and resolve their differences was by over-the-top music competitions. Thus, the way for newly discovered species to join is to not come in last place in the competition - shows that they're compatible enough with everyone else. Fail, and the species is entirely erased to prevent another war and allow some other organism from their world a chance to not be as terrible in a few million years.

And so, just after First Contact, it's time to sing for the survival of the human race.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I needed something light and fun to take my mind off the endless hopeless doom, and I found a book by Catherynne Valente, Space Opera.

Think of it as Douglas Adams does Space Eurovision. That kinda gives you the idea. After the terrible catastrophic war that wiped out planets and species and nearly destroyed intergalactic civilization, the only way the disparate survivors could figure out to come together and resolve their differences was by over-the-top music competitions. Thus, the way for newly discovered species to join is to not come in last place in the competition - shows that they're compatible enough with everyone else. Fail, and the species is entirely erased to prevent another war and allow some other organism from their world a chance to not be as terrible in a few million years.

And so, just after First Contact, it's time to sing for the survival of the human race.

wasn't this a rick and morty episode

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

I bought this thinking it'd recapture the magic of Adams, but I only got about a quarter of the way through it (I think it was where the aliens first showed up and described their Eurovision contest). I think it may be just my mood, but I just couldn't get into it, especially since it was highly recommended from several sources. I dunno, I might give it another chance later this summer.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Alex Thomson’s ‘Death of a Clone’ is rather fun - a eco-fi murder mystery with some nuanced thoughts on cloning, and the risks people will take for access to resources. The central mystery is well constructed and an explicit callback to Christie-style tropes, but there’s some poignantly constructed emotional work here too.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That sounds like a very depressing book

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    knitdan wrote: »
    That sounds like a very depressing book

Yeah I got my threads turned around there! (Although there are some moments in Death of a Clone which are...wrenching).

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Reading The Vagrant by Peter Newman. I've never read any Cormac McCarthy, but this is how I imagine the tone is in both Blood Meridian and, more relevant, The Road. The book is very much in the same vein as The Road, except instead of a father and a son it's a mute man, a baby and a goat. It's not big on dialogue.

PkNYOiul.jpg

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Reading The Vagrant by Peter Newman. I've never read any Cormac McCarthy, but this is how I imagine the tone is in both Blood Meridian and, more relevant, The Road. The book is very much in the same vein as The Road, except instead of a father and a son it's a mute man, a baby and a goat. It's not big on dialogue.

PkNYOiul.jpg

The Vagrant and other books in the series gave off a real Warhammer 40k vibe although slightly more optimistic.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The Vagrant and other books in the series gave off a real Warhammer 40k vibe although slightly more optimistic.

Yeah, I'm a third through it and it definitely has some 40k vibes set on some backwater shithole of an Empire planet, but less over the top.

This discussion has been closed.