As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    You can disrupt detectors?

You can disrupt detectors.

You can disrupt detectors!

Why haven't I ever done this???

*boots up the game*

Later, in game:

http://youtu.be/TCQ0XbNss24

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The achievements on the new Predator AR are kinda odd. "Disregard the normal rules and just beat the room this way with these characters."

Also, looking at the Iceberg Lounge achievement, I'm not sure I will be able to pull that one off.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    You can disrupt detectors?

You can disrupt detectors.

You can disrupt detectors!

Why haven't I ever done this???

*boots up the game*

Now try disrupting a detector and a medic at the same time.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They were coming together so good too
    bnr1.png
    So what if they couldn't get the rain effects, close enough.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Started playing through asylum again.

I think I spend too much time in detective mode. I'm starting to think of this as a one man war against the army of red and blue skeletons.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I played Asylum so much, I could eventually get through that whole game quite handily on hard without using detective vision at all (unless the game mandated its use).

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Started playing through asylum again.

I think I spend too much time in detective mode. I'm starting to think of this as a one man war against the army of red and blue skeletons.

I remember being a few hours into the game, and for some reason I turned off detective vision and just had to stop and look around for a bit and see what the Asylum really looked like.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I cannot, however, figure out what dr young thought she was going to do with
    the Titan serum before she realized joker was involved

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

According to the audio logs
    The idea was that physically strengthening the patients would make them better able to cope with more extreme reconditioning methods.
    Which is still pretty shitty!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

The idea was that physically strengthening the patients would make them better able to cope with more extreme reconditioning methods.

Actually
    It was her theory that psychosis causes neurological damage/is the result of cumulative neurological damage, and titan could help cure them by making them resistant.

Which is likely based on a real paper released a few years prior to the game that outlined that theory, but which has since been ignored because evidence contradicted it (for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21282776) I looked it up to see if the writers had been inspired by anything, cos it was too specific.

This is on those movies that play in the medical centre. Next time you play through, sit and watch them.

edit: I had another look, and it seems to be an ongoing argument rather than getting ignored. In any case, Titan wouldn't do shit.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Actually
    It was her theory that psychosis causes neurological damage/is the result of cumulative neurological damage, and titan could help cure them by making them resistant.

Which is likely based on a real paper released a few years prior to the game that outlined that theory, but which has since been ignored because evidence contradicted it (for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21282776) I looked it up to see if the writers had been inspired by anything, cos it was too specific.

This is on those movies that play in the medical centre. Next time you play through, sit and watch them.

You're right, I remember properly with the reminder :+1: It's been a few years since I played through AA so I'm a little hazy.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Okay, I just went through the whole story of asylum, though just popping back in again before the big finish for completion, and I could swear there used to be a mr freeze fight in the medical building.

Am I just conflating the first game and City, or what?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You are.
    The only reference to Freeze in Asylum is a iced up cell.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Thought as much.

I look forward to besting City again, soon as I finish 100 percenting Asylum and also getting some more XCOM2 in there.

Edit: one other question, does anybody know if I screwed myself on the riddler fetch quest by picking up a map after grabbing everything else from that area, instead of waiting until I got absolutely everything except the maps?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Maps just count as another collectible, so you can just pick them up whenever you want.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Working through City, and its hard to not notice just how grounded in reality this game's Forensics Mode seems when compared to the utterly Clownshoes version we got in Knight.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    A GameStop employee leaked to Eurogamer ad material for Batman: Return to Arkham, a remaster of the first two games for PS4 and One. PEGI has rated Asylum for PS4.

Excited about this!

Arkham Knight was a bummer finish but I'd absolutely love to have those first two games running nicely on my PS4 (don't have a 360 anymore and the PS3 versions aren't quite as good)

This news is actually ten days old, I only just found it because I was wondering "whatever happened to that rumored collection"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That's cool, though Knight was my favourite of the series, it's a bummer everyone didn't like it. Also the crime scene investigation has always been goofy

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Knight stumbled a bit, unfortunately. Best predator sections, and combat in the entire series. Then they bring the whole thing down by focusing on the Batmanmobile too much. That, and some pretty disappointing boss fights. Chiefly Deathstroke! Like... come on! He spends the whole time taunting you and making fun of you for using a tank like a wuss. Then his bossfight is just a carbon copy of the supremely anti-fun Cloudburst tank fight. Bleh! It wasn't a horrible game, but man... they just couldn't stick the landing with their final Batman game =/

I'll pick up that Remaster thing down the line on sale, though! Would've been cool if it was all the games in the collection though(Origins and the slightly better(?) console version of Blackgate) . Though leaving Knight out since it's still pretty new makes sense.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I loved the batmobile, it's one of the best abilities/vehicles in any game. Calling it to you, driving it around the city, I felt the combat worked well, and the way you could remote control it, it felt like another device in your tool belt, I just adored it. I loved it as soon as you remotely used it during a cutscene to knock out those dudes, Especially if you used the alternative control scheme it felt amazing, vehicles just don't get more fun. For me it was a highlight but I understand that it was seen as a distraction by others, I refuse to accept that it was bad, but if you felt like it wasn't what you wanted then I appreciate that. I do think not having proper boss battles was a big mistake.

However, Knight made me want to grab all other story-focussed action game developers by the scruff of the neck and scream "see! This is how you direct transitions, convey info, and move the camera!"

To explain what I mean, it goes beyond just having No loading times. There are no disorienting cuts that undercut your sense of control or reduce your feeling of being "grounded" in a situation or scene. You always know where you are and what is happening. It had just beautiful and seamless gameplay-to-cutscene direction delivered mostly without the player ever having control taken away from them, and in fact a lot of the time you can actively interrupt a cutscene unprompted, like driving off when a character is talking to you by accelerating, it's glorious. It's a small thing and goes unnoticed most of the time, but it was a masterclass for me, and it gave the sense of intense forward momentum and immersion and a single throughline of an experience. It's not something I demand from every game, but more games that are in the style of arkham need to adopt it, because it plays to the strengths of the medium

Every bit of info, audio and visual, was conveyed to the player without any distracting artifice, ie there's no choppiness between gameplay and cutscene, it's all just so well done. Start to finish the game's camera transitions naturally and smoothly, no screen or info is shown "to the player" but to "batman" through in-world means, giving the sense of a 10 hour singular experience, unbroken. I just loved that, the way all encounters, even optional ones, were "in" the world, the man bat was flying around, joker visions would spring out naturally with no fade to black or jolt to a different camera angle.

If you never noticed go back and play the game and just marvel at the consideration they put into this largely unnoticed element of the game design. I'm pretty sure the camera never cuts away once, it always moves into a position and moves back.

Also the city was amazingly designed, beautiful, cohesive, gloriously destructible and changed at key story beats. It just did a lot right for me, and the story being nonsense was pretty much par for the series for me

Prohass on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm skipping due to the lack of Origins. It's ok though, they still play great on the PS3.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'd get it if they're going in and updating all the graphics to be on par with AK. If it's just a regular remaster, I'm fine with the PS3 versions, got them all via PS Plus anyways. Either that or a sale.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Re-release all the things.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Re-release all the things.

I just need EA to do a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, but they wont friggin do it! "We want to focus on new IPs" my left butt cheek. Can't wait to see their fresh new IPs this year: Mirror's Edge* and Battlefield 5!

/rant

*Mirrors Edge does look pretty sweet, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    the PC ports of the first two games are good and already look really good so....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    This is the very definition of "not for you". This repackage is for people who played on 360/PS3 and traded them in on console upgrade or want to play again without hooking up their old stuff.

I'm not buying it either, but I don't mind that it's there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My only gripe is them leaving out Origins...but that's because Origins was a fantastic game in the franchise with arguably the best story bosses of the bunch.

Who knows though, I'm such a fanboy of the series that I could see myself impulse buying it at some point when it's cheap. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the PC ports of the first two games are good and already look really good so....

As far as we know it's not for PC anyways

I wouldn't blame them if they never released another Batman game on PC honestly

• Options
    Origins really got a bad rap for being a bit buggy, but it's great. Glad that a whole 'nother bunch of people will get access to these if they missed them the first time around.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hardtarget wrote: »

As far as we know it's not for PC anyways

I wouldn't blame them if they never released another Batman game on PC honestly

I can blame them for not giving PC Knight the care and attention it needed in the first place and just dumping it out because who cares about people who buy it, and then punking out over the backlash if they choose not to do any more ports in the future.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Asylum and City remaster confirmed for PS4 and XBONE in GOTY form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWv07fouYvs

July 26th

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I get that Rocksteady really likes the games they created, but their language before Knight's release about finishing "their Arkham trilogy" and this thing coming out with only 2/3 of the Arkham games released last gen is kinda ridiculous.

I've got the 3 from last gen on PC so unless it gets super cheap at some point I won't be picking this up so it doesn't really matter what I think, but it seems super petty.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    I'd maybe be interested in a remastered Arkham Asylum. The upgraded graphics would actually matter there, given how much of that game's appeal relied on the claustrophobia and atmosphere.

But I can't see a point to Arkham City. I found the storytelling incompetent and the open world they created was so hampered by technical limitations(horse-shoe shaped map and slow gliding) that it's irrelevant when Arkham Knight is available. You show me skyscrapers and I can't dive and glide off them?

"YES! Let's get into Arkham City and deduce/foil Hugo Strange's master plan!
    Oh, the real plot is another Joker story and Strange's plot is ignored except for 15 minutes at the end..

great...

I hope they break it up for individual purchase.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Arkham City still looks great, though. Asylum is rough looking these days.

Mite b cool

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I love Asylum, but unless they improve the combat engine I'm not sure I could go back no matter how nice it looks.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Later than I expected, but so happy this is happening

I don't care about the lack of Origins because I don't care about the existence of Origins

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Origins was just, how to best describe it, great concept, poor execution.

The story beats were great, the boss fights were a lot of fun (my personal favorite is when you're playing through the helicopter cam and you want to do your best to look awesome for the camera), and the gadgets were very cool.

The problem was that Origins felt like a mod and some of the game design decisions were absolutely horrible.

1.) Riddler trophies that are inaccessible at the beginning of the game. "But, they did that in Arkham City and Asylum, what's the problem?" The problem is that the trophies were hidden inside of GIANT levels where you have to run around an empty cargo ship, navigate the traps, all to grab one miserable trophy and then run ALL THE WAY BACK OUT with no option to fast travel.

2.) Putting snipers in the middle of a commonly used glide path with no real option to take an alternate route. When Snipers are present in City and Knight, they are at least out of the way so that you have an opportunity to dodge. The snipers in Origins see you immediately and do a lot of damage, and it's a pain to have to avoid them every single time or to fast travel, every, single, time.

3.) The combat was supremely busted at launch with enemies sliding across the floor just to punch you. Most of these have thankfully been fixed but there's still a sliding thug on occasion.

4.) Glue grenade essentially being an uglier retexture of the ice grenade. It's a small thing but it never ceases to bug me.

5.) Due to engine limitations, there was a distinct inability to grapple higher than some buildings. Arkham City didn't have this problem (with the exception of the wall around Wonder Tower), and Origins shouldn't have had this issue either. It made the play area feel a lot more restricted and more artificial as a result.

Other than that, Origins was still a fun game and one that I've sunk many hours into. It's a shame it's not getting ported over and I did tell myself I would never buy another Batman game if it came out as shitty as Origins, but after the patches, the game is fun just frustrating.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Later than I expected, but so happy this is happening

I don't care about the lack of Origins because I don't care about the existence of Origins

You know it's funny, if Arkham Origins wasn't a thing, Arkham Origins might actually be a decent name for the remaster set.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    So I loaded up Arkham Knight for the first time in close to a year now

Mainly because I bought the season pass but never played any of that stuff, and also because a friend told me that all the new AR challenges they've added will give you WayneTech upgrade points, which meant I could finally get the one riddle left I needed without having to subject myself to any more Batmobile races

So I did, got 100%

Man, that ending, I don't even know. I didn't hate it? But it's just oddly more open to interpretation than I'd expect from being Rocksteady's "final chapter" (the upcoming Arkham VR notwithstanding)

The DLC though, I'm really enjoying so far. I've done Red Hood and just finished up the Killer Croc stuff, but hey! It has boss fights! Not fantastic ones but after the base game only having one (and one that makes you do 240 riddles before you get to it), I'm really digging this as a small little make-good

Also, all those DLC AR challenges, the stars went toward the 69 stars needed for all the base game Trophies, which means that a Platinum is within my grasp. Just gotta finish a New Game+, which I've already started. My issues with the game still persists - the Batmobile still sucks, there's still way too many enemy types, and it's still easily the weakest Arkham game - but the good time I'm having with the DLC is enough to lift my spirits up quite a bit

UnbreakableVow on