Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

More DnD art

LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
edited May 2018 in Artist's Corner
I've been experiencing another springtime of drawing in my life, and that seasonal rhythm dictates that I eventually return here in search of critique and inspiration.

Brief background: I have a (useless) liberal arts degree in sculpture. I did about half of an M.Arch before dropping out. I grow produce for a living. My artistic ambitions are focused on creator-owned projects (I lack the emotional fortitude for creative freelancing.) Some artists I admire are Zak Smith, Eddie Campbell, Heather Gwinn, Cedric Plante. I like looking at things that feel extemporaneous or even naive, or that juxtapose beauty and other non-beauty concepts.

I draw mostly with pens--either felt-tipped multiliners or rapidographs--and have a preference against doing erasable underdrawings. I work very iteratively, and recycle lots of barely-begun drawings. I often warm up by following timed recorded life drawing sessions from youtube, or by drawing my family around the house. Other than that, I rarely draw directly from reference. I re-read my Loomis books a lot. I have to look through the backside of the paper pretty often or my drawings develop a strong skew toward the upper right. I suffer from a lack of patience when drawing.

Here are some warm-up sketches I've done recently, 2-5 minute poses:
m8u2bhvypopv.jpg
9uwulktjv3wz.jpg

Some other figures from imagination:
azs299j0kj6f.jpg
nb4cawcvjdu1.jpg

Then here's some things closer to what I'm trying for as a finished product (part of a map card project for Dungeon World):
b6y22yhzf8j0.jpg

ic63p6bvknvz.jpg
w2fcd1stbbqo.jpg
qtlcdg3u0l05.jpg
t2tdyeo343vf.jpg
n5gamgb50ux4.jpg
ej6szvp3ap0v.jpg
uwhqxxiimvm1.png
z9xr5v5ni8bh.png
l4sxgkzbxumm.jpg

Thanks!
Dirk

Lyrical on
DMACtapeslingerF87acadia

• LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
    Some Gibson studies and some bird ladies.

sba9c3kcx8ez.jpg
    6lrnhepyqcgz.jpg

y9iqa1rwlu7l.jpg
    ym01v8rx5j1z.jpg
    on studies

tynicProspicienceacadiatapeslingerBrocksMulletEncbombardierFANTOMAS
    t08jlincpbfe.jpg

Battle chicken I'm working on. Trying to figure out how to introduce more areas of black, having a hard time with it.

Encbombardierwhoreray
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Love that chicken.

Your eyes seem to be a bit flat on the face in some of your drawings, I would spend a little while looking more carefully at their form and maybe reigning in your strokes around the area to better describe whats going on.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Battle chicken is amazing. I showed it to one of my players and now he is trying to roll a gnome chicken chevalier for his next character in pathfinder.

Thanks guys! And thanks for calling my attention to the eyes, I've been trying to treat them more carefully.

Here's a stack of vignettes and characters I've been working on for a game I'm running:
    kt8y2qskl1qa.jpg

Enctapeslinger
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    T-that robot! To do list:
    • Scythe something
    • grab them and stab??
    • Smash them!
    • Earn my forever love <3

Lyrical