Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

1373839404143»

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm glad others are coming around to my way of thinking, that Sawblaze is basically a glorified wedge bot. A very good wedge bot, but still.

I also still think the active weapons requirement is dumb and half the fun of robot fighting is the meta shifts that lead to different bot types taking precedence over time, and that the current spinner-heavy meta because of a ban on the bots best at dealing with them leads to it being boring and predictable.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There's nothing more boring than bots without weapons.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    FrymarajiObiFettSealThe Deliverator
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2
    Wedge vs. spinner is fun, but there's the opposite extreme that killed Robot Wars for a while, allowing brick/wedge bots means you end up with a bracket peppered with potato fights where two wedges rub against each other and the judges shrug and flip a coin. And that was a format with at least one straight up lethal hazard in those pits.

Duck and Sawblaze show that a wedgebot can meet the technicality of the active weapon rule and still be successful. Free Shipping shows that they can also suck in an exciting and entertaining way.

Hevach on
    Elvenshaemaraji
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    It’s funny, but I like both Duck and FreeShipping and dislike Sawblaze. Maybe it’s that Duck doesn’t have any pretense and presents a better “did you build your bot well enough to House the weapon?” test, while Free Shipping presents a “did you make your bot maneuverable enough to use the weapon?”

I’d like to see Deep Six try to handle either of them. Just the idea of Duck scooting in on the side and lifting it up with that silly beak makes me giggle.

Sawblaze seems to want to insist that the spark/fire show is important, when in reality it’s all about pushing lesser tier bots into the screws and trying to look flashy.

Having said that, I certainly don’t feel a need for more wedges on the show

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Wonder how the tournaments would shake out if they removed the "active weapon" restriction, and then had some preliminary, non-televised rounds where bots got matched up against other bots with the same weapon (or lack thereof, in the case of "brick" bots). That way you can still have a brickbot or two in the competition, but you don't have a field overflowing with them resulting in a ton of boring TV.

Plus it might lead to some innovation in weaponry. If you're the only person who brought a flamethrower bot, congratulations, you get to skip the prelims. Maybe someone would take the effort to figure out a novel weapon - it'd be pretty sweet if someone figured out a cryonic weapon for instance.

Aioua wrote: »
    There's nothing more boring than bots without weapons.

I think watching wedge vs wedge fights is super enjoyable, because driving skill becomes of paramount importance. I also think seeing so many spinners gets tedious after a while, even if the destruction they wreak is cool.

Mostly though, like I said before, right now spinners have no real counter so all the top bots are spinners in some form or another. Allowing wedge/brickbots to counter spinners would not only mean more of those bots, but more of every other type of bot too because suddenly the rock-paper-scissors game doesn't have one clear obvious best choice.

Real strong, facetious.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited August 3
    I don’t know that we need to go to wedge versus wedge to see good driving, and the weak hazards in battlebots would make such fights interminable.

Whiplash and Minotaur show that you can combine great driving and a weapon that still does damage. Minotaur’s problems this season seem rooted it the decision to go bigger and the worse handling and overloaded motor/belt the increased spinning mass caused. The instability and reliability issues have reduced the advantage their driver’s skill gave them.

What weapon types would see a resurgence if plain wedges were allowed?

maraji on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    What weapon types would see a resurgence if plain wedges were allowed?

IIRC, the primary counters to a wedge were a better wedge (closer to the floor of the box, lower angle on the wedge, more powerful drives) and better driving...
    I'd imagine that if just straight up wedges were allowed you'd see a spike in flippers/lifters in response. Anything that might get a wedge outside of the ring. Possibly an increase in grappling bots designed to grab and lift.

If wedges are brought in, I'd hope that they come with a few improvements to the box:
    1: A substantial improvement to the power of the hazards. Kill saws weren't that impressive 20 years ago, and they haven't really changed.
    2: All hazards are controlled by the competing teams. They're split up 50/50, clearly labeled in the box and every team that is competing designates an operator for them.
    3: Put a limit on the hazard use (for example: drum spinners can only run 60 seconds per match, hammers can only fire 15 times, flipping pad can only launch 10 times etc)
    4: A stepped box design, or otherwise uneven floor. Altering the design of the floor to include a 2-3 inch step up in the middle would require substantial rethinking to pretty much every bot design out here (Huge may be the exception)

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    marajiMyiagros
    edited August 3
    Alternate to 3: Bring back the staff guy who ran the hazards in the Comedy Central days. For example: Did you know the hellraisers and the swinging arms on the spike strips next to the screws are still in the box? They're never used or even referenced, but according to a few people who were there during assembly they're still included in the box for some reason. The only hazard that's actually been dropped since back then are the ram rods.

The teams only directly control the hammers. A crew guy half heartedly fires the saws once in a while. The screws mostly seem to run on automatic, they're supposed to reverse when something gets caught on top of them, but half the time they just stop working instead.

Back in the CC seasons, though? That guy who ran all the hazards was a complete sadist. If you lost drive power under the hammer, he didn't care if you were getting counted out, he'd slam that hammer down on you until the officials made him stop. At least once he broke a hammer off beating on a robot that had been disabled for a good 30 seconds at that point.

Hevach on
    RiusElvenshaemarajifacetiousFry
    edited August 14
    This is the best Witch Doctor we've ever seen I think, by a wide margin. I actually think it has potential of making a run.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

Hevachmaraji
    facetious wrote: »
    This is the best Witch Doctor we've ever seen I think, by a wide margin. I actually think it has potential of making a run.
    In the Amazon convention thing, Witch Doctor utterly wrecked Tombstone and Bronco both in under a minute.

Those are generally the "if you can't beat them you won't win" robots, though I might add Cobalt to that this year - If you don't face them you face their victor, and that isn't always going to be the vengeful ghost of an 0-4 tire fire that slipped in on a technicality.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'm loving the glass cannon of Deep Six. They did an AMA where someone asked them about adding more stability for next year and their response was they were going to increase their weapon weight from 110# to 125#.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    facetious
    Also gotta give Nelly the Ellybot some props after that fight. Their robot sucks and they're going to go 0-4 (if they can even fix it for four fights), but they're like, "Hell yeah we suck man this is super fun though I hope Tombstone gets to break us next!"

marajifacetious
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I'm loving the glass cannon of Deep Six. They did an AMA where someone asked them about adding more stability for next year and their response was they were going to increase their weapon weight from 110# to 125#.

Deep Six, it's like they looked at Nightmare and said "No, that's entirely too stable"

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    marajifacetious
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    You guys see this? Post fight of Gigabyte/Huge
    lxbpsdavg3nh.png

Very interesting write up by the Huge team on the fight: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=417681508837728&id=182584115680803

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    facetiousXantomas
    I loved the part they showed on the show where they just went over with a tape measure and figured out which weapon would hit it on the top instead of the sides.

Earlier in the season Shatter was walking around opponents with a pool noodle being all sneaky and shit. Huge is just like, "Hey buddy mind if we have a few minutes with your robot? Thanks."

facetious