As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dishonored 2 | Choke a bro | Billie Lurk Standalone DLC Coming Sept 15

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think I'm done with this game. I was doing a no kills run and got through to the end of the level to find out someone died. No problem! I'll just restart! Oh wait, it murders your fucking checkpoint save when you get to the stats screen.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think I'm done with this game. I was doing a no kills run and got through to the end of the level to find out someone died. No problem! I'll just restart! Oh wait, it murders your fucking checkpoint save when you get to the stats screen.

did you try making saved games

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    No because it's 2016 and competent games have had robust checkpointing for several years.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah the NPCs randomly dying thing is pretty annoying. I also suspect it will be basically impossible to fix because it's not a random bug that kills unconscious NPCs, it's bizarre environmental interactions.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    oh that's cool. i was a boy scout and their whole motto thing was "be prepared" so I guess that's why I'm big on saving my progress instead of relying on something else to choose when to do it but I guess some people don't like to do that. manual saving and quick saving and all sorts of saving. i dont know why there's no restart level option anymore tho, it's weird but easy to save at the start.

did having one person die ruin your game? was it because you wont get an achievement or something? I'm not being a smarty pants, it's just a strange thing I'm trying to understand.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah the NPCs randomly dying thing is pretty annoying. I also suspect it will be basically impossible to fix because it's not a random bug that kills unconscious NPCs, it's bizarre environmental interactions.

I don't mind that part so much, because I sort of expect it after the original. Crucially though, the original also had a "restart level" on the stats screen at the end and certainly didn't wipe out your checkpoint so there's no way to go back.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »
    oh that's cool. i was a boy scout and their whole motto thing was "be prepared" so I guess that's why I'm big on saving my progress instead of relying on something else to choose when to do it but I guess some people don't like to do that. manual saving and quick saving and all sorts of saving. i dont know why there's no restart level option anymore tho, it's weird but easy to save at the start.

did having one person die ruin your game? was it because you wont get an achievement or something? I'm not being a smarty pants, it's just a strange thing I'm trying to understand.

I was going for the ghost achievement, which isn't usually a huge deal for me but having gotten a few hours in I was decently invested in it. I wasn't super shit hot on the game before this happened and it was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I actually decided to restart instead, because I think I'll enjoy the early parts of the game more now that I'm more warmed up. I accidentally sequence broke almost every level, so this time I'll take things more slowly and pick powers I know I'll like.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I accidentally sequence broke almost every level,

This strikes me as a design intention. Every level has a method for bypassing most or all of the defenses to hit the Boss all by his lonesome. The one in the Witch Academy I thought was particularly striking-- did they really go thru all this trouble to design a sprawling, four-floored building with Witches and Bloodflies and Devil Dogs all over the place which I just bypassed in two Blinks ?

Yes, yes they did.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

This strikes me as a design intention. Every level has a method for bypassing most or all of the defenses to hit the Boss all by his lonesome. The one in the Witch Academy I thought was particularly striking-- did they really go thru all this trouble to design a sprawling, four-floored building with Witches and Bloodflies and Devil Dogs all over the place which I just bypassed in two Blinks ?

Yes, yes they did.

I think it's either deliberate or a necessary side effect of the more open design, but it's also... unsatisfying? I get into this beautiful clockwork mansion filled with intricate designs and shifting rooms and oh it's over I guess I wasn't supposed to go that way. Every level had me accidentally skip huge swathes of it.

The new systems and powers are a lot of fun, and the basic gameplay is still a lot of fun but after a few hours of playing all I can think is that every level in this game would, if it were in the original, be my least favourite level.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

I was going for the ghost achievement, which isn't usually a huge deal for me but having gotten a few hours in I was decently invested in it. I wasn't super shit hot on the game before this happened and it was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I actually decided to restart instead, because I think I'll enjoy the early parts of the game more now that I'm more warmed up. I accidentally sequence broke almost every level, so this time I'll take things more slowly and pick powers I know I'll like.

I have mentioned it a few times, but especially if you're going for a specific run like ghost/non-lethal, do note that you can check your stats for the current level in the pause screen. So at least you don't have to wait until the end of a mission to find out something bad happened.

Also, be careful putting unconscious bodies down near wooden shutters or those wooden room divider things. If they explode into pieces when you put a body down, that person is almost certainly dead.

• Options
    It seems like using the destiny share power has a lot of accidentally kill a dude potential

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It seems like using the destiny share power has a lot of accidentally kill a dude potential

A lot of people get at last two accidental kills when they discover that it applies physics effects, not just dead/KO states, when they Far Reach someone they tagged with Domino.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

Yes, yes they did.

I think it's either deliberate or a necessary side effect of the more open design, but it's also... unsatisfying? I get into this beautiful clockwork mansion filled with intricate designs and shifting rooms and oh it's over I guess I wasn't supposed to go that way. Every level had me accidentally skip huge swathes of it.

The new systems and powers are a lot of fun, and the basic gameplay is still a lot of fun but after a few hours of playing all I can think is that every level in this game would, if it were in the original, be my least favourite level.

I think they kind of front load the bad levels. The clockwork mansion is cool and clever, but I didn't actually enjoy playing it.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    On high chaos with Corvo, why even bother with stealth? I can kill 10 people in open combat with blink and the misfire charm. Honestly, it's a bit easy, even on higher difficulties.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    gavindel wrote: »
    On high chaos with Corvo, why even bother with stealth? I can kill 10 people in open combat with blink and the misfire charm. Honestly, it's a bit easy, even on higher difficulties.

Just a matter of preference really. Sure you can masacre all the competition. But you don't have to do it that way.

In the original my favourite run was high chaos game checkpoints only max difficulty. The appeal being sure I can slaughter my way through but a stray shot could cost me 20+ minutes so it made sense to take out as many by stealth as possible to even the odds for when I was spotted.

I will say I think some of the dishonored 2 charms are a bit OP and That's without stacking them.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I am really tempted to go straight to a max difficulty, fully lethal, no powers run for the second play through as Corvo. I kinda want to use his powers, but I also really like the idea of having no cushion whatsoever and having to experience every level completely on the ground with just gear and weapons and legit stealth.

Edit: also the target takedowns are amazing in this game so it's super tempting to just jump a target asap. When I killed the target in mission 5, Emily did a spin kick, caught the target's neck in the crook of her knee to bear them down, and then gutstabbed them while looking them in the eyes. GIT IT GIRL.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    My first playthrough is a pure stealth Corvo run; no alerts, no knockouts/kills (except required mission targets), no powers. I'm part way through Chapter 5 and it's taken me 12 hours so far. There are a lot of asshole guards that require like 3 thrown bottles and a ton of patience. I started out on Very Hard but had to push it down to Hard when I got to Jindosh and couldn't get him to split off from his robots without them being just a little less attentive.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    That is a super arduous way of playing the game. You don't even want to try the powers your first time out?

I just got past Stilton's mansion and it was a really great hook. I can only imagine what a nightmare the technology behind it was. I kind of wish they'd had the other half of the mansion be a social stealth level rather than always having to think about guards, but it was pretty amazing either way.

• Options
    I played 1 quite a bit, I'm already familiar with the powers. I did the same challenge run in 1 and the Daud missions as well.

This way teaches me the levels in a very detailed way for future playthroughs. I could tell you the patrol path by memory for pretty much every guard so far.

• Options
    I got to the riddle and decided, fuck it. Gonna sit down with a pen and paper and solve it.
    Since it has five axes it was a little tricky but I got it on the first try after four pages of notebooking. Not gonna lie, felt really smart

• Options
    Finished my first run as Bat-Emily (Action non lethal) and by god do I love this series. Going to have to go back and do a High chaos run as Corvo.
    Killed Delilah even though it was a low chaos run since I wanted my confrontation. And well Daud stuffed her into a painting once and it obviously didn't do the job. I do think the ending could have used a bit more content beyond Corvo waking up and then cutting to the Outsider's summary though. Would have been nice to see a bit more of the aftermath.

Here's hoping we get the Adventures of Billie and Daud in either Dishonoured 3 or DLC

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    not having the ability to replay levels easily definitely feels like a step backwards.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    And the (almost) nihilist run is complete:
    aGGL099.png
    oZPcHPQ.jpg?1

Actual playtime was probably up around 22 hours.
    Would have been pure nihilist but I used a couple crossbow bolts as distractions here and there when I couldn't find a bottle lying around. Very Hard would have been fun but I'm not sure it's actually feasible for certain sections.
    The 10 knockouts were Ramsay, Jindosh, Luca, and 7 for Delilah.
    Absolute hardest part was getting Luca upstairs. I had to get the clockwork soldier near his patio to run super far away and then take him through the vault and up the back stairs.

• Options
    I got to the riddle and decided, fuck it. Gonna sit down with a pen and paper and solve it.
    Since it has five axes it was a little tricky but I got it on the first try after four pages of notebooking. Not gonna lie, felt really smart

I also have to say, while I enjoyed solving it, this was the dumbest, most video gamey silliness I've seen in both games
    Why would there be a riddle as a lock, giving anyone the possibility of entering? Why would it be a riddle you can solve in 20 minutes? Why wouldn't someone just bust in one of the many windows? Even if it weren't relatively simple, why would it allow infinite permutations to be attempted so you could brute force it?

It was just so plainly a case of HEY GUYS LET'S PUT A COOL RIDDLE IN and so forced, I was giggling the whole time. Just really stood out in a game that tries to go for at least dramatic plausibility.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I like the riddle for adding another option for these games. Usually they're 'do it this way (bad) or do it this way (good)', and this one just adds 'or you can work it out yourself'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Some of the stuff with Stilton's mansion is balls out insane. I tried a second run through:
    there's a whole third version you can get by knocking him out so he doesn't see the ritual. It also changes dust town, and gives meredith back her arm and eye

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Some of the stuff with Stilton's mansion is balls out insane. I tried a second run through:
    there's a whole third version you can get by knocking him out so he doesn't see the ritual. It also changes dust town, and gives meredith back her arm and eye

Holy shit.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    They need to hurry up and get that New Game+ mode out, so I can start a new playthrough. That is a thing they said they're doing right? I didn't just dream it?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Holy shit.

Yup. Did you notice she is voiced by Rosario Dawson ?
    I didn't find anything that explained Meagan's eye and arm repair, altho it's easy to surmise that she lost them while defending an insane Stilton from Delilah.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Holy shit.

I didn't find anything that explained Meagan's eye and arm repair, altho it's easy to surmise that she lost them while defending an insane Stilton from Delilah.

There's something in one of your conversations with her prior to the mission.
    After Stilton went crazy and was locked up in his house, she tried to go get him out. She was less than successful. The implication is that's how she lost her eye and arm.

By keeping Stilton from seeing the ritual, he never goes crazy and so Megan never goes looking for him and doesn't get hurt.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Holy shit.

After Stilton went crazy and was locked up in his house, she tried to go get him out. She was less than successful. The implication is that's how she lost her eye and arm.

By keeping Stilton from seeing the ritual, he never goes crazy and so Megan never goes looking for him and doesn't get hurt.

I see, thanks.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    knitdan wrote: »

Holy shit.

Yeah one of the things this game does well is subtle world building.
    One find I liked is there is an audiograph that explains why Megan has a grudge against the Duke. As kids on the street they had gotten into the path of the Duke and his brother and at the Duke's urging the brother strikes and kills Meagan's freind. Meagan kills the brother and goes on the run. In the Dukes palace a book recounts the event but only says he was killed by a Dunwell street kid. Leaving out that the brother had just killed someone and the Duke's involvement.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Re: Megan, late game spoilers
    She's Billie Lurk, right? Is that what's implied when you get into her cabin?

• Options

Yup.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Yup.

OMFG, shouldn't have clicked those spoilers but still lighting the @RoyceSraphim signal.

• Options

She flat out tells you that if you talk to her on the boat before Mission 9, too, so definitely confirmed.

• Options

She flat out tells you that if you talk to her on the boat before Mission 9, too, so definitely confirmed.

I belive that's low chaos only though.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So the good ending of this game is basically
    The end of the famous Alan Moore Superman story, "For the man who has everything".

Wikipedia doesn't do a great job of explaining it, but basically they capture the villain at the end of it in a fantasy world where he wins and rules everything. Basically the painting from the end of the game.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

First try. About a third of a notebook page.

I was addicted to logic puzzles back in elementary school. Never thought this'd be how they'd pay off, but hey. Not complaining.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Karoz wrote: »

Yup.

OMFG, shouldn't have clicked those spoilers but still lighting the RoyceSraphim signal.
    Wow, spoilers for a game I cannot play on my rig but OMG! OMG! OMG!

I'm curious is her model still matches the model from Knife and its end cutscene.

Tube on