As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dishonored 2 | Choke a bro | Billie Lurk Standalone DLC Coming Sept 15

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I'm watching a let's play of the DLC since I never played them

At the start, the Outsider says that there are only eight people who bear his mark

If there are only eight, how come all of Daud's lackeys can blink?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

At the start, the Outsider says that there are only eight people who bear his mark

I believe Daud has the power to give them the power, somehow. It's fuzzy but I think there's a note somewhere in the DLC that explains it or whatever.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

I believe Daud has the power to give them the power, somehow. It's fuzzy but I think there's a note somewhere in the DLC that explains it or whatever.

In the middle of the DLC right now. One of the powers in Daud's power menu is straight up "Daud can share these certain powers with nearby assassins" and you can upgrade that power to share even more powers with them.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Cool cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »
    Most recent games have used Denuvo as the drm, Doom, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mad Max, Battlefront, JC3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hitman, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Deus Ex Mankind Divided to name a handful. So if you haven't had a problem with any of those I doubt you'll have any problems with Dishonored 2.

Cool, I have played a number of those games with no issue so that certainly puts my fears to rest.

Yeah, I've got two of the games on that list and this is my first time hearing about the Denuvo thing; considering I've got something on the order of a hundred hours between the two and never once had so much as a hiccup, the DRM seems to work fairly well.

Doesn't mean I approve of it, but it seems to work pretty well. Shouldn't be a purchase-stopper, unless you just object to that sort of DRM on principle.

• Options
    VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    I don't know if theres been any specific word on it, however I do hope that Daud appears in the story somehow. He should still be alive depending on spoilery things in the Brigmore Witches DLC. Although then again it is unlikely considering this is a different city.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I reinstalled Dishonored since I never played any of the DLC, just started Knife of Dunwall, it's really fucking good!

Especially since I played Dishonored mostly ghost, and it feels good to play a character with a powerset that encourages you to go crazy psycho murderer.

I'm playing through the whole game again right now! I did a stealthy run but fully murderous, last time, and got the chaos ending. I didn't like the way they implemented chaos, but on the other hand there needs to be a penalty for the use of all your powers to murder indiscriminately and making the game fairly easy because of it. It's just a shame that creative murder is the most fun way to play!

This time I'm opting for non lethal as much as possible, with no reloads unless something bugs out or I accidentally blink in front of a walker instead of freezing time or something. The puzzle solving approach is pretty fun.

I might replay the tower level as a full frontal assault and see if you get some new events or dialog.

Looking forward to the DLC, I've heard good things.

As long as you don't attempt to kill everyone in a level, you have a pretty generous threshold for staying in low chaos. I think it's something like a quarter of the total people in a level killed to bump up the chaos level from low. Given that time stop + sleeping darts to the face can get you out of a lot of surprise bungled attempts at stealth there aren't too many times you need to stab your way out of a room. Choking people out is still ridiculously slow if you don't luck into finding a Strong Hands bone charm though.

I'm reluctant to choke people out in games ever since I learned that it only puts them out for like 20 seconds unless you choke them to death. It's a weird hang up in a game that is so not concerned with simulating reality, but it does touch my mind every time I choke a guy.

Freeze time makes you so powerful that it seems sadistic to actually kill anyone who doesn't strictly need killing, though

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I don't know if theres been any specific word on it, however I do hope that Daud appears in the story somehow. He should still be alive depending on spoilery things in the Brigmore Witches DLC. Although then again it is unlikely considering this is a different city.

one of the achievements even hints at him going to another major city (and in a journal he considers returning to Serkonos, the nation Karnaca resides in), so it is possible. They haven't said a word about it, though, but I imagine you'd want to keep it a surprise. He is such an iconic character and I hope we do see him again.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Continuing on this

Brigmore DLC
    The Delilah statue in the sewer says something like "Four of us, chosen..."

So Delilah thinks there are only four. Or maybe she meant four currently living

Also, when the Outsider said eight, that was probably before Emily received her mark

Assuming time is linear for the Outsider, which might not be the case

Man

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I reinstalled Dishonored since I never played any of the DLC, just started Knife of Dunwall, it's really fucking good!

Especially since I played Dishonored mostly ghost, and it feels good to play a character with a powerset that encourages you to go crazy psycho murderer.

I'm playing through the whole game again right now! I did a stealthy run but fully murderous, last time, and got the chaos ending. I didn't like the way they implemented chaos, but on the other hand there needs to be a penalty for the use of all your powers to murder indiscriminately and making the game fairly easy because of it. It's just a shame that creative murder is the most fun way to play!

This time I'm opting for non lethal as much as possible, with no reloads unless something bugs out or I accidentally blink in front of a walker instead of freezing time or something. The puzzle solving approach is pretty fun.

I might replay the tower level as a full frontal assault and see if you get some new events or dialog.

As long as you don't attempt to kill everyone in a level, you have a pretty generous threshold for staying in low chaos. I think it's something like a quarter of the total people in a level killed to bump up the chaos level from low. Given that time stop + sleeping darts to the face can get you out of a lot of surprise bungled attempts at stealth there aren't too many times you need to stab your way out of a room. Choking people out is still ridiculously slow if you don't luck into finding a Strong Hands bone charm though.

I'm reluctant to choke people out in games ever since I learned that it only puts them out for like 20 seconds unless you choke them to death. It's a weird hang up in a game that is so not concerned with simulating reality, but it does touch my mind every time I choke a guy.

Freeze time makes you so powerful that it seems sadistic to actually kill anyone who doesn't strictly need killing, though

Oh yeah, Corvo would definitely be giving a lot of dudes brain damage and dooming them to a life inside mental asylums. I still do it but am well aware of how it totally isn't good for them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

Continuing on this

Brigmore DLC

Also, when the Outsider said eight, that was probably before Emily received her mark

Man

When you're dealing with some sort of elder-god/outer-being...thing there's not a lot you can safely assume.

Man, I love lovecraftian themes.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Oh yeah, Corvo would definitely be giving a lot of dudes brain damage and dooming them to a life inside mental asylums. I still do it but am well aware of how it totally isn't good for them.

Either they go home with a bit of a twitchy eye or some loss of fine motor control, or their whole family gets to mourn their sudden and total disappearance forever because they had the bad luck of turning a corner while I'm in the middle of the old choke-and-toss.

Because why would you ever not make enemies vanish into ash when you kill them? There's a plague on, we can't leave bodies just laying around! It's unhygienic!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Either they go home with a bit of a twitchy eye or some loss of fine motor control, or their whole family gets to mourn their sudden and total disappearance forever because they had the bad luck of turning a corner while I'm in the middle of the old choke-and-toss.

Because why would you ever not make enemies vanish into ash when you kill them? There's a plague on, we can't leave bodies just laying around! It's unhygienic!

In many ways it's a convenience power but it's one hell of a convenience power. I take it even on my low chaos runs (not that there's a lot a low chaos run has to spend runes on).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Continuing on this

Brigmore DLC

Man
    When the Outsider says 8, that's before Corvo gets his Mark, so that brings it up to 9 by the time Daud faces Delilah.
    Ones we know about:
    Corvo
    Daud
    Delilah
    Granny Rags
    The Boy Who Knew Only Fear and Loneliness (from here)
    I don't think we know of any others?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    klemming wrote: »

Continuing on this

Brigmore DLC

Man
    When the Outsider says 8, that's before Corvo gets his Mark, so that brings it up to 9 by the time Daud faces Delilah.
    Ones we know about:
    Corvo
    Daud
    Delilah
    Granny Rags
    The Boy Who Knew Only Fear and Loneliness (from here)
    I don't think we know of any others?
    Morris Sullivan was marked too, wasn't he?

Edit - nevermind, did some googling and apparently Granny Rags notes that his faith is what protects him from Corvo's powers. No mention of a mark of his own.

vamen on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hey if anyone wants a Steam copy of Dishonored 2, I've had second thoughts on the game. I have a key from GMG, and would offer it for just forty. PM me if you're game.

Aaaand gone, thanks @TychoCelchuuu

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Edit - nevermind, did some googling and apparently Granny Rags notes that his faith is what protects him from Corvo's powers. No mention of a mark of his own.
    Per Harvey Smith, he was Granny Rags's apprentice and was lent her power similarly as Daud empowers the whalers or Delilah the witches.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Per Harvey Smith, he was Granny Rags's apprentice and was lent her power similarly as Daud empowers the whalers or Delilah the witches.

Oooh interesting, I did not know that at all.

• Options
  • Options
    game is out if you're an, ahem, citizen of Australia or most parts of Asia.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Sounds like PC perf is burning garbage.

But, except for that, more and better than the first.

IGN has been playing for 7 hours, here's their thoughts so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ9xhVBb91U

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Reading people talking about the PC stuff has the opposite effect on me as others I think.

Reading people saying they are getting 50-60fps on high and dropping to 30 on ultra just makes me go

"So you're saying I can play on Ultra and get the best FPS I notice? Heck yea!"

• Options
    I started replaying the original so I'd be up to speed for this one. This is my second time through that game and the first time doing high chaos. It's still lots and lots of fun and it's still fucking gorgeous too. I love how the faces have so much character and every little design touch, like the weird way the hounds look, just adds so much character.

Hearing bad things about the PC performance of Dishonored 2 is slightly discouraging but I assume that'll either get patched or it's a result of the game being super cutting edge, since after all it's on the iD tech engine so it might just be designed to eat up as much as your computer can do, just like DooM 3 did back when it came out.

• Options
    God watching people play videogames poorly is agony.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Companies have been "get it out, optimize later" mode more or more it seems. So yeah, I'd expect it to improve.

• Options
    Game runs fairly well for me. Combat is so much more fun, so is stealth, and you can actual do non-lethal takedowns during stealth now. I loved the Heart but they improved it so much, it says such heartbreaking things and will react to things you do.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    AMD did just release a new driver with 'support' for Dishonored 2, so if you're running a Radeon, that might be the driver to install.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.11.3-Release-Notes.aspx

• Options
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    There's some oddness with the PC version. There's a sort of "judder" to camera movement even at high framerates, which is very distracting. Not as bad on controller because you are moving the camera slower obviously, but still distracting.

Doesn't appear like everyone has it (or notices it) so might be a YMMV thing.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    4 more hours I am just sitting here salivating.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    4 more hours I am just sitting here salivating.
    This is a sign of plague infection. RIP.

• Options
    I've been replaying the original Thief trilogy the last couple of weeks for the first time in probably almost a decade. Just finished The Cradle this afternoon, so I'm well set up to finish the game this evening, probably right before the day early preorder opens up for Dishonored 2.

Deadly Shadows is a bit better than I remember it, although initially starting it right after playing the original Dark Engine games was pretty jarring, even with the slightly fixed movement and such the fans have managed to tweak. The entire Keeper Enforcer section is just the dumbest damn thing in the world though, always has been.

Anyway, I've been a bit torn on whether I wanted to start with Emily's story or pick right up with Corvo 'Garrett' Attano. I think replaying Thief has me leaning back towards Corvo though. And speaking of that, during the 'news' coverage last night, I actually saw the Corvo variation of the live action commercial, prior to that I had only seen the Emily one. Really awesome with Stephen Russell's voiceover.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I never got far in the DLC. That new teleport makes things a nightmare for me.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    So I've played the prologue and got to the first mission start. W10 force closed the game on the boat ride in to free up low memory (I have 8gb, which is apparently the minimum), so I dunno if the city tanks performance or there's a memory leak, but I guess I'll find out later.

Up to then it was pretty appealing, though!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Corpekata wrote: »
    There's some oddness with the PC version. There's a sort of "judder" to camera movement even at high framerates, which is very distracting. Not as bad on controller because you are moving the camera slower obviously, but still distracting.

Doesn't appear like everyone has it (or notices it) so might be a YMMV thing.

This effect is very distracting. It's like it's dropping frames but it's really not. The animations and movement are all smooth. It's just the camera. I might have to shelve it until they fix it but I was really enjoying the game so far.

edit: I put in for a refund. That camera effect was getting worse and the game started dropping frames all over the place. Changing the settings did bugger all. It was this or Tyranny so I think i'd rather have the money in case Tyranny reviews well. If not I'll pick it back up when they fix it.

edit 2: max prerendered frames set to 1 in nvidia control panel seems to reduce the judder slightly but does not eliminate it.

danx on
  • Options
    So I'm playing the training mission and when I get to the crossbow part, I can't figure out how to progress...? I shot all the targets, I think, but nothing happens. I feel like I'm bad at this video game.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    There should be something in the ceiling that you can shoot that causes something to crash down and make a whole you can get through.

• Options
    So I'm playing the training mission and when I get to the crossbow part, I can't figure out how to progress...? I shot all the targets, I think, but nothing happens. I feel like I'm bad at this video game.

Yeah, I just finished the tutorial myself, with objective markers off, you have no idea that you're supposed to shoot that thing in the ceiling to ram the door open from the other side.

Other than that though, the tutorial ran butter smooth on my RX480 and aging i5-2500k with 16GB of RAM on whatever default settings it recognized for me, seemed like almost everything was Very High or High, the only thing I did was turn off AA (it chose TXAA x1 by default, though I might try turning it back on.) Granted, from what I was reading, the first place people were finding framerate issues was the throne room at or near the start of the game proper where it could drop down to about 12fps or so.

I did notice in my GPU monitor that it was using about 6GB of VRAM almost exactly on the very high settings it chose. That loading screen when you first start the game before it gets to the main menu is a little intense, I think it took 2 or 3 minutes for me that first time. I've gotta eat something, but then it'll be diving into Karnaca for the night, assuming I don't run into any major issues.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    So far I'm finding I tend to get the most slowdown when I'm in the open city areas. In the small indoor maps the game seems to run considerably smoother for me.

• Options
    VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    Even in the open city areas the game is doing fine for me! Then again I have a 1070. Running most things on Ultra, the game looks absolutely fantastic. Doing the traditional for me which is a ghost and clean hands playthrough on my first run, which I'll probably do for both characters (starting with Corvo). The only current debate I have is whether to have unsheath/sheath on tab and takedown on F, or vice versa.