Options

Hollywood [chat]s

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    spool32 wrote: »
    So Donkey Kong we had a DM mode in the old NWN, but one of the essential problems was that you were in the same 3d isometric mode that the players where in, but you still needed all sorts of tables and menus open. Being able to float all of that around you while you move around, and have it not impede your view, would be wonderful. The other major problem is the need to be in two places at once... to manage the encounter and also prepare for the next one. The backed-out 3d view like you saw in the minecraft demo would work perfectly for that, allowing you a real gods-eye view of the area where the players are adventuring, while also being able to see what they're doing.

Doing all that on a monitor would need two or three of them, and an interface that I've not seen for any game so far.

I think more difficult UI challenges have been solved in the past. Hololens might offer an easier to manage UI, but I don't buy that the only reason this experience doesn't exist is because the UI would be messy. Not in a world where dwarf fortress is a thing.

I think the reason nobody ran with the NWN DM mode is because it wasn't very popular or fun.

The player population in 2001-2005 disagrees. It was never WoW size of course, but there were multiple community worlds with a few thousand players each and many thousands of smaller private campaigns.
    No I think the reason the experience doesn't exist is that we've moved away from private co-op based multiplayer and into MMO F2P. It's not the popularity, it's the monetization that's prevented us from getting a newer, better multiplayer NWN.

Also the DM client was buggy as fuck and still had major problems even after a decade of patching and community work.

spool32 on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    . . . The PC in FO4 is really voiced? Is it true there is a wheel too, like DK was saying? I thought I was being trolled.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Last night I went to a bro's house and we recorded a test episode of sorts for a podcast he wants to do. We're reading the Left Behind series and doing basically a How Did This Get Made style analysis, maybe a handful of chapters at a time. With no delusions of grandeur or expectations of anyone ever listening, it was actually pretty fun just as like an activity or project to do with a friend. I want to take a light editing pass on it, but I think it actually turned out a lot better than I was expecting (expectations were low)and maybe legitimately funny in parts.

my only request is pls have gud mics pls pls pls

I have been listening to this podcast called Fire Talk With Me on occasion to get all hype for the new season

but i legit can't stand the truly awful audio quality anymore

it's impossible to listen to in subways, on the street, on the train, while driving, p much anywhere with ambient noise

Yeah, that was partly what we were testing and I think we will spend a little tiny bit of money to get something decent. My friend wanted to just sit down and try it rather than find reasons to wait so this recording is probably not release quality, but he was totally right and I'm glad we decided to just dive in.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If god exists, how could he let this happen?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I really don't get the appeal of GoT book readers hanging out in the show thread and "guessing" the outcomes.

What do you have to gain from that? And it's not like it isn't blindingly obvious to other book readers, when the aspects of the next episode that you guess are straight out of the books, and the events you offer no guesses about are not.

I guess this is almost the last season we'll have to deal with that though.

There was a huge problem in that thread back a few seasons ago with book readers getting really uppity about being told to fuck off.

I still have no idea what would possess someone to act that way.

Nerd culture shit valuing knowledge as a status symbol. Book readers using it to show off status in Nerd communities.

I mean, I guess. Still, busting up into a join where you've been specifically asked to not enter and then doing the exact thing for which the barrier was in place for, and then acting pissy and entitled about it?

That's some pathological stuff.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

obviously he never played FO3

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    . . . The PC in FO4 is really voiced? Is it true there is a wheel too, like DK was saying? I thought I was being trolled.

I mean, I was straight trolling but I was doing so with facts.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I don't even know if I want Obsidian to make Fallout 4.5. What is there to even build on? Seriously, no dialog choices?

• Options
    How does anyone unironically wear a mustache these days?

• Options
    This is similar to how I have felt when some relatives have died. This is terrible.

• Options
    I think I need a drink.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Of course, there's no way I'm not buying Fallout 4 for PC.

But mods

to fix all the crippling stupid that Bethesda has married to it like a 200 year old civilization made entirely out of corrugated metal sheets

Mods will now work on consoles.

I buy maybe a pre approved list of mods, because the console hardware is already stretched as stretchy as it can go

• Options

Aw, I kinda like it

Voiceless PCs are just so damn bland and boring.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

wellllll

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So re: screen sizes and hololenses, stolen from the E3 thread:
    For people skeptical about Hololens, it actually is a bit of a bait and switch, at least currently. They show this full screen video on stage like you are literally seeing what they're showing when you have the headset on, but your field of vision of the holo-content is actually pretty narrowly centered in the center. Supposed to be kind of disconcerting.

http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-hololens-round-2-why-cant-i-see-more-of-thi-1701500831
    Here, try this for me real quick. Pick up your smartphone. Hold it about a foot in front of your face. Now imagine that the phone is a window into a parallel world. Through that window, you can see holograms that appear to exist in the real world—but all around that phone, you’re only seeing the world. In other words, you have to be looking directly at a digital object to see it, because HoloLens currently has a ridiculously tiny field of view. As soon as you turn your head a little bit, the holograms disappear.

LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA

yeah, thats been known for a while, and as they iterate the screen has been getting bigger and bigger.

this is technically the third time they have shown off the tech, just the first time they have done so for the purposes of gaming.

MS is investing heavily in this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Maybe this is better. Bethesda can't write dialog and now they won't have to.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    good afternoon everyone

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    sike it is the morning

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I really don't get the appeal of GoT book readers hanging out in the show thread and "guessing" the outcomes.

What do you have to gain from that? And it's not like it isn't blindingly obvious to other book readers, when the aspects of the next episode that you guess are straight out of the books, and the events you offer no guesses about are not.

I guess this is almost the last season we'll have to deal with that though.

There was a huge problem in that thread back a few seasons ago with book readers getting really uppity about being told to fuck off.

I still have no idea what would possess someone to act that way.

Nerd culture shit valuing knowledge as a status symbol. Book readers using it to show off status in Nerd communities.

I mean, I guess. Still, busting up into a join where you've been specifically asked to not enter and then doing the exact thing for which the barrier was in place for, and then acting pissy and entitled about it?

That's some pathological stuff.

Pfft, it's small potatoes compared to the other stuff human beings do for status. I mean releasing a sex tape and having a show on E? Waking up in the morning to wall to wall gold leaf with Donald Trump's reflection in the mirror. Not to mention wide swaths of criminal activity.

• Options
    sike it is actually the afternoon lol #rekt

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    sike it is the morning

Gooey, didn't anyone tell you? Humor is dead. We are all just lifeless husks drifting on the breeze now. Bethesda killed the world.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    sike it is actually the afternoon lol #rekt

wh-

wait

JESUS CHRIST GOOEY EVERY GODDAM TIME

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    sike it is the morning

Tink agen gooy

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    O no u done alredy tunk it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    @gooey - Fallout 4 looks pretty good!
    Sike! I am a shell of a man now. :(

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I'm fine with Fallout 4 having all voiced dialog with a PC because why not?

There are still tons of games being made right now to match the tastes of anyone who likes playing them. Pillars of Eternity and Torment are there making classic top down iso CRPGs, The Bard's Tale is coming for that retro big party turn based stuff... wasteland still exists.

Fallout 4 looks like it will be a potentially fun game set in the universe of fallout, using a different format. A format I have really enjoyed in other titles. I'll bite.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

*gasps*

silence

Also yes somebody pls help I wish to make that gif I made my av??

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

yo i herd they were going to find the nasaliest bahston accented guy to voice the PC

919UOwT.png
  • Options

yo i herd they were going to find the nasaliest bahston accented guy to voice the PC

Yes sir I start next week

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to play the shit out of FO4 when it comes out but seeing those graphics right after the Witcher 3 gave me a lot of hmmmmmmmm

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ey! dere's sahm fahckin' supah myouents ovah heah! dahg meat! go fahk 'em up!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    people complain about silent protagonist

people complain about voiced protagonist

i don't get it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Mustaches are pretty awful hth

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Maybe this is better. Bethesda can't write dialog and now they won't have to.

weird definition of dialogue there

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Checkmate

selleck_blue_bloods_4_full.jpg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    people complain

you summed up vidja fyi hth

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm probably going to play the shit out of FO4 when it comes out but seeing those graphics right after the Witcher 3 gave me a lot of hmmmmmmmm

the PC looks kinda grody

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm fine with Fallout 4 having all voiced dialog with a PC because why not?

There are still tons of games being made right now to match the tastes of anyone who likes playing them. Pillars of Eternity and Torment are there making classic top down iso CRPGs, The Bard's Tale is coming for that retro big party turn based stuff... wasteland still exists.

Fallout 4 looks like it will be a potentially fun game set in the universe of fallout, using a different format. A format I have really enjoyed in other titles. I'll bite.

This is the problem. Fucking vultures. Just make your own damn setting even if its a rip off, and leave poor fallout alone. Fallout is the series that popularized heavily dialog based gameplay. You could talk the final boss to death. Now fallout won't have any dialog choices. That just isn't right.

• Options
    not that I disagree about the statement that bethesda can't write dialogue

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.