Chanus wrote: »
    people complain about silent protagonist

people complain about voiced protagonist

i don't get it

protagonists, how barbaric

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is so sad.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

i don't get it

When will we get a triple A game without a protagonist at all.

I think that's what we're really looking for here.

Well, the REAL gamers among us anyway.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SKFM = wrekt

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @syndalis it's worth remembering that the 'escape reality' / block out the world aspect of Occulus style VR is really great for some people... Bel is really excited for the tech to advance in that direction because it's a blessing to cut out the extra noise when she's in lots of pain or struggling with PTSD. I hope we get a lot more of the fully immersive VR as things progress.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guano_Islands_Act

Any US citizens fancy going seizing some territory?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I wonder if by this point more people have played FO3 and New Vegas than the originals.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Really though how long until people smash that botler into a billion bolts.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    ey! dere's sahm fahckin' supah myouents ovah heah! dahg meat! go fahk 'em up!

Huh yoo think ya pretty tuff huh guy
    Well kid you fahkin fahked with the wrong fahkin dood

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Why people freaking out over this holonen thing? Like every sci-fi show ever does the holographic thing as a way to give exposition from a computer while showing the characters and their reactions in the same shot. In real life something like that feels super gimmicky and niche.
    God typing that out makes me feel like I'm the Grinch.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    syndalis it's worth remembering that the 'escape reality' / block out the world aspect of Occulus style VR is really great for some people... Bel is really excited for the tech to advance in that direction because it's a blessing to cut out the extra noise when she's in lots of pain or struggling with PTSD. I hope we get a lot more of the fully immersive VR as things progress.

yeah, i see the appeal of both approaches

i guess i'm going to have to buy all the things

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Why people freaking out over this holonen thing? Like every sci-fi show ever does the holographic thing as a way to give exposition from a computer while showing the characters and their reactions in the same shot. In real life something like that feels super gimmicky and niche.

it's exactly the super gimmicky niche i've been looking for though

i want to play minecraft like that

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm probably going to play the shit out of FO4 when it comes out but seeing those graphics right after the Witcher 3 gave me a lot of hmmmmmmmm

Witcher is definitely prettier, yes.

But it doesn't exactly look like a bad game graphically.

New Tomb Raider has better graphics than either, but its doing something pretty different.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Eddy wrote: »

i don't get it

protagonists, how barbaric

the perfect videogame reminds the player that there is no such thing as morality and that existence is meaningless

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm fine with Fallout 4 having all voiced dialog with a PC because why not?

There are still tons of games being made right now to match the tastes of anyone who likes playing them. Pillars of Eternity and Torment are there making classic top down iso CRPGs, The Bard's Tale is coming for that retro big party turn based stuff... wasteland still exists.

Fallout 4 looks like it will be a potentially fun game set in the universe of fallout, using a different format. A format I have really enjoyed in other titles. I'll bite.

This is the problem. Fucking vultures. Just make your own damn setting even if its a rip off, and leave poor fallout alone. Fallout is the series that popularized heavily dialog based gameplay. You could talk the final boss to death. Now fallout won't have any dialog choices. That just isn't right.

I didn't get that impression from the show, just that it's going to be voiced and in the vein of Mass Effect style wheel dialogue. I'm sure your stats and rep will provide additional options for dialogue.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Geth...

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It took me about 3 minutes to arrive at emissions center and be tested and pay and leave. The DMV had a 90 second wait and then took maybe 2 minutes including paying to get my plates.

Noice.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @syndalis it's worth remembering that the 'escape reality' / block out the world aspect of Occulus style VR is really great for some people... Bel is really excited for the tech to advance in that direction because it's a blessing to cut out the extra noise when she's in lots of pain or struggling with PTSD. I hope we get a lot more of the fully immersive VR as things progress.

I don't want one to beat out the other, and there are certain experiences where the "presence" of VR is going to just be fucking bananas.

I just don't think that VR is going to be all that good for a lot of the games people like to play right now, wheras something like the hololens, used properly can allow your screen to be completely HUD-free and put all the info, GPS arrows, maps, etc on the periphery of your TV, available at a glance.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm probably going to play the shit out of FO4 when it comes out but seeing those graphics right after the Witcher 3 gave me a lot of hmmmmmmmm

Witcher is definitely prettier, yes.

But it doesn't exactly look like a bad game graphically.

New Tomb Raider has better graphics than either, but its doing something pretty different.

the environment in fallout 4's preview was really good looking imo

just the character models were kinda gross

but also i can't think of a bethesda game where the character models didn't look gross

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Having more Fallout is always better than having no Fallout.

215504262_cSCGQ-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Perhaps they'll give you the option in the beginning for voiced/silent...

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I wonder if by this point more people have played FO3 and New Vegas than the originals.

Definitely.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    It took me about 3 minutes to arrive at emissions center and be tested and pay and leave. The DMV had a 90 second wait and then took maybe 2 minutes including paying to get my plates.

Noice.

so what you're saying is private business is more efficient than government, got it.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Chu's narrative arc is clearly that of the recidivist libertarian, the monomyth that has driven works from sophocles to shakespeare

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Perhaps they'll give you the option in the beginning for voiced/silent...

Yes! That would be excellent. A whole new set of dialog options … like when you set the Intelligence to 2 in the original Fallout and everyone in the game talked to you like you were an idiot.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    At a certain point of video game prettiness, I stop noticing the differences all that much to be honest.

For Witcher 3, Crysis 2 & 3, and probably the new TR and FO4, they're all gorgeous enough that it doesn't matter too much unless you get really up close and staring at textures.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

i don't get it

Silent protags are booooooring

Except in Journey

But everything else is blah. Including Zelda.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

i don't get it

Silent protags are booooooring

Except in Journey

i honestly can't say it's ever bothered me either way

like it's just not a thing i notice

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    How does anyone unironically wear a mustache these days?
    Checkmate

selleck_blue_bloods_4_full.jpg

Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, and Samuel L. Jackson are the only people who can pull it off.

I mean, I guess Wilford Brimley does too, but I don't know if he looks "good" doing it.

• Options
    Well excuse me, princess.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0W3xRgr70E

MGSV has picked up an 80's vibe in the new trailer.

Yeah I can diggit <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    At a certain point of video game prettiness, I stop noticing the differences all that much to be honest.

For Witcher 3, Crysis 2 & 3, and probably the new TR and FO4, they're all gorgeous enough that it doesn't matter too much unless you get really up close and staring at textures.

No amount of bells and whistles can save a game that doesn't look good

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

i don't get it

Now you might think this just means nerds don't know what they want.

But at the end of the day, we kinda just hate everything.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Four words

Virtual D and D.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

yes that was true fucking ages ag0 d0g

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    MGS 5 feels like I need to spend 200 hours playing previous games to have any idea what is going on.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    No amount of bells and whistles can save a game that doesn't look good
    They can get off the ground as long as they create gameplay there's a demand for that isn't filled by the AAA games though.

See: DayZ.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    MGS 5 feels like I need to spend 200 hours playing previous games to have any idea what is going on.

Lemme save you 200 hours.

It probably won't help as much as you think.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

my sweet summer child..

This discussion has been closed.