As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] Lang. Zone.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Like I don't have a problem with fat princess, its super goofy and cartoony and that makes it not really offensive

For me

But what does or doesn't bother me doesn't affect what does or doesn't bother someone else, and you don't have to be offended by x to earn the right to be offended by y

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one

So..pretty impressive but it's clear they still have work to do

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »
    He has a point. For something as innocuous as that to be considered offensive rings hollow if the same offended people are totally into games about death and destruction or who knows what else.

Firstly, how "innocuous" something is, is up to the eye of the beholder. Secondly, gating people's offense behind arbitrary restrictions of "if you're not against A, don't bother being against B." is a misdirection tactic, and is exactly the mentality that allows these things to continue to exist unabated.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    He has a point. For something as innocuous as that to be considered offensive rings hollow if the same offended people are totally into games about death and destruction or who knows what else.

Firstly, how "innocuous" something is, is up to the eye of the beholder. Secondly, gating people's offense behind arbitrary restrictions of "if you're not against A, don't bother being against B." is a misdirection tactic, and is exactly the mentality that allows these things to continue to exist unabated.

The game is a silly fat joke. Is the goal to not have games with a sense of humor, or only a sense of humor you deem appropriate? Comedy should never have limits and from what I've seen of this it seems like one big joke, on purpose.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

The game is a silly fat joke. Is the goal to not have games with a sense of humor, or only a sense of humor you deem appropriate? Comedy should never have limits and from what I've seen of this it seems like one big joke, on purpose.

Why?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    That sure is a logical leap

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

Why?

Because it's comedy. It should only be dictated by what is and isn't funny. Once you start imposing restrictions because of what one section of the audience might find offensive, you have to take everyone into account, and then you have pages of taboo subjects.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Actually comedy has limits based on how people respond, and equating killing in a game to fat princess is a massive false dichotomy in the same way (but to a lesser extent obviously) as saying murder is worse than rape so you can't be offended by one without the other in a video game.

• Options

Its only silly if you think its silly

You don't get to make that call for every person

Also the idea that comedy should have no limits is not going to get you far here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Games are not influencing you to go kill people.

Games are reinforcing mysoginistic and body shaming stereotypes just like other media.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also the issue with fat princess is less to do with the fat joke and more to do with the fact that the only female characters in the game are treated as literal objects that the male player characters kidnap, protect, and force feed

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also I also find gta to be generally in very poor taste so

vOv

• Options

Why?

Because it's comedy. It should only be dictated by what is and isn't funny. Once you start imposing restrictions because of what one section of the audience might find offensive, you have to take everyone into account, and then you have pages of taboo subjects.

Yes.

• Options

Why?

Yes.

That's what you want? Comedians to tip toe over every even slightly sore subject in society?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually if a section of the audience finds something offensive you have in fact not told a funny joke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Why?

Yes.

That's what you want? Comedians to tip toe over every even slightly sore subject in society?

I would like you to not have a false dichotomy of "no subjects are taboo or all are"

Comedians should absolutely consider what is and isn't appropriate based on audience, culture, and current climate

And speaking of knowing you're audience

Dude if you think this idea is gonna fly here you really

Really don't know this forum

• Options
    actually if a section of the audience finds something offensive you have in fact not told a funny joke

No. Chappelle's Show became a hit partially for telling hilarious offensive jokes. If they're good enough, you break through that barrier.

• Options
    Like speaking as a person who has done some form of comedy for the last 10 years of their life, the most important thing in comedy is knowing your audience. It is absolutely okay to make light of taboo subjects and jokes that some people would find tasteless as long as your audience is on board with it. I mean hell comedy can be a coping mechanism for some people and taking that away from them would be atrocious. But for realsies, audience is important, and what's why you don't say make racist jokes on a public venue like twitter.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dave Chappelle may not be the best example given he quit comedy because white people kept wanting him to do racist jokes that they didn't get.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Dave Chappelle may not be the best example given he quit comedy because white people kept wanting him to do racist jokes that they didn't get.

He never quit comedy (he's doing an HBO special this year), he quit the show, and that's not the reason why. Had more to do with meteoric fame. Also, doesn't change the fact that the show had nearly constant offensive jokes that all killed.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Like speaking as a person who has done some form of comedy for the last 10 years of their life, the most important thing in comedy is knowing your audience. It is absolutely okay to make light of taboo subjects and jokes that some people would find tasteless as long as your audience is on board with it. I mean hell comedy can be a coping mechanism for some people and taking that away from them would be atrocious. But for realsies, audience is important, and what's why you don't say make racist jokes on a public venue like twitter.

And the tone and subject matters. You might tell a fat joke that undermines expectations and a crowd finds it funny or you might just make fun of fat people and it falls flat.

• Options

He never quit comedy (he's doing an HBO special this year), he quit the show, and that's not the reason why. Had more to do with meteoric fame. Also, doesn't change the fact that the show had nearly constant offensive jokes that all killed.

Are you Dave chapelle?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Louis CK is probably the best example of a current comedian who tiptoes the line between hilarious and offensive, and even he manages to fuck it up sometimes. For example, his latest SNL monologue.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Also I also find gta to be generally in very poor taste so

vOv

Yeah GTA5 was such an expansive and beautifully crafted game.

But also totally unappealing over large swaths of the narrative and tone.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm not even sure what this discussion is supposed to be about now

Comedians should do whatever comedy they like

But the fact that they're doing comedy isn't a universal shield against criticism, as so many comedians seem to assume it is

A good comedian learns from their mistakes, they don't just keep making the same ones over and over again.

Fat Princess is a bad joke, one I hope the devs learned from making

Cilla Black on
  • Options

No. Chappelle's Show became a hit partially for telling hilarious offensive jokes. If they're good enough, you break through that barrier.

There is a difference between punching up and punching down

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    you can make whatever shitty, tasteless, stereotype reinforcing joke you want

and it is completely, totally fair for someone to respond negatively when this offends them

then, whether or not you care if you offend people is the important thing

taking criticism as a sign of censorship is stupid

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

There is a difference between punching up and punching down

High Blocking and Low Blocking respectively.

But that chip damage adds up.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

and it is completely, totally fair for someone to respond negatively when this offends them

Fuckin' for real

Someone thinking a joke is shitty and awful and saying so is the same as someone making a shitty and awful joke in the first place

Both have as much right to exist as the other

And if the person telling the joke goes "hey maybe I shouldn't tell that joke anymore" that's not censorship, thats not destroying the very fabric of comedy, that's personal growth

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Zay wrote: »

Extremely well said zay

now let me go lie down because that sentence hurt my brain

(<3)

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm not even sure what this discussion is supposed to be about now

Comedians should do whatever comedy they like

But the fact that they're doing comedy isn't a universal shield against criticism, as so many comedians seem to assume it is

A good comedian learns from their mistakes, they don't just keep making the same ones over and over again.

Fat Princess is a bad joke, one I hope the devs learned from making

Well, when I was looking around at what Fat Princess Adventures was- there was some E3 marketing presser stuff about the princesses no longer be inactive participants, and how they would actively help players.

It seems like Cake is eaten by players in this game, so I get the impression there's still obese body mechanics.
    It looks like the entire game is different for this iteration, being a story based magika style experience with the original game's character classes.
    I got the impression these developers were tasked with making a parent-child co-op experience, so I expect it to be fairly tame.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Comedy is, or it should be, inherently subversive of cultural norms and societal standards, which is why comedy is such an important art. It takes the piss out of the status quo.

There's this concept called punching down, in comedy, and it means picking an easy target. The disabled, the lgbt community, and yes, even fat people such as myself. That's shitty comedy because it isn't subversive and it isn't challenging societal norms or whatever, it's just being unnecessarily cruel for the sake of a cheap laugh.

Real comedians, the good ones, don't do that shit. You know who does that shit? Hacks.

That's why there'll never be a conservative version of The Daily Show that doesn't suck an entire parade of assholes, because making jokes about OH THOSE WACKY POOR PEOPLE AND HAHA WELFARE AND HATE CRIMES ARE FUNNY will never be a winning formula...

BECAUSE GOOD COMEDY ISN'T POINTLESSLY, ARBITRARILY MEAN. IT HAS A POINT. Even dudes like Don Rickles, who made his living as an insult comic, are practicing subversive comedy because they're flipping the audience/artist interaction on its head.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Wow I didn't expect Fat princess to generate this much discussion in this day and age

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Wow I didn't expect Fat princess to generate this much discussion in this day and age

I'm surprised that a fat joke could be made into a game by a major player in this day and age.

That it gets discussed is a positive.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    The worst thing about the new game seems to be the...

AWESOME SAUCE mechanic
    but again it looks like they are adapting the IP into a children's game, so it's probably app.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    whats wrong with awesome sauce

I could always use a flavor enhancer for most dishes

• Options
    Im not one for mayo myself.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I don't think there's anything "innocuous" at all about a game wholly predicated on the one two punch of making fun of the overweight and reinforcing body shaming AND treating women as objects!

But hey no, your right, me being mad about people treating others like shit and as a joke, causing them to often develop severe depression and body image issues is totally just me overreacting!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sure, why not.

November
    - Star Wars Battlefront (11/17)

December
    - Hitman (12/8) (maybe)

“2015”
    - No Man's Sky
    - Persona 5

- Dark Souls III (Q1/Q2)
    - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Q1/Q2)
    - Doom
    - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    - Mass Effect Andromeda (Q4)
    - Street Fighter V (March)

-Vampyr

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just watched that big MGS5 gameplay footage thing and man that game looks rad, it's a real shame that it's got such sleazy stuff in it.