As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    This video seems pretty good. No "HEY GUYS, CHECK OUT MAH NEW VID, LIKESUBSCRIBESHARECOMMENT!" (I'm only five minutes into it, but it's more info than I knew this morning!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOdgQHWxnU

The heavy juggle is a little bit inconsistent, doing the juggle with a light weapon also seems to proc much less regularly. Pretty sure it is based on relative level. Bots that outlived you will not be tossed in the air. Don't quote me on that though.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    That soul tower sure is some hackery bullshit I tell you what. I hate those death walls with all my being, because of how that dumb hacking arrow controls I can't help but bounce against them.

@fawst The higher you get in level the more "press Square/Triangle to make everything die" it becomes. The mirage pod program is also godly.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't personally think Automata's gameplay is tight enough that I would ever bother trying to do combos like that. I expected with Platinum at the helm we'd have more CAG style combat, but they lean harder into the RPG than the A with this game IMO.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I had a heck of a time just doing some of the fancy traversal you need to reach some of the boxes (like the one on the building in the flooded city)

Then I had to figure it out again on route B because some of the moves are different

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I had a heck of a time just doing some of the fancy traversal you need to reach some of the boxes (like the one on the building in the flooded city)

Then I had to figure it out again on route B because some of the moves are different

The one near the robo dojo quest guy? On the edge of the map? Cause I've tried almost everything and can't work it out.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Big Classy wrote: »

The one near the robo dojo quest guy? On the edge of the map? Cause I've tried almost everything and can't work it out.

I grabbed that one too. Took me several attempts, but what I did was (minor route B spoiler)
    I equipped 9S with as many Evade chips as I could find, which make the R2 dash go farther. I also equipped him with a spear because a light attack will propel him forward a little bit.

Then I just started from the building nearest to the one I wanted to reach (the one with the stacked crates) and jump-dash-pod swing- 2 light attacks got me there

In my experience, 9S only gets 2 light attacks before the third does a slam attack. 2B gets 3

I had actually reached that one on route A only to find that I couldn't open it.

And actually there isn't anything unique in that chest anyway.

knitdan on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    when do i get to open these damn chests with the big round lock on them?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    At first I got across to places like the building near Servo by juryrigging a bunch of bullshit launchers, podrides, aerial attacks and dashes, but since Morninglord showed me glide to glide-attack to glide to glide-attack to airdash to glide to glide-attack, I just do that.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    when do i get to open these damn chests with the big round lock on them?

On route B, after you've finished the first main ending.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Lame.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    What is wrong with the lock on in hacking? Sometimes it locks on and sometimes it does not even register my inputs at all and the lock on won't even activate.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I never used the lock on in hacking, I just held down the shoot button and played it with both sticks

Hell, I didn't even realize you could lock on

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Route B done! Sorta end game spoilers.
    Noooooooo 2B! That's not how I wanna start the third run!

Good heavens, what a fantastic game. Completely changes my idea of what is going on with each run.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Strap in.

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Route C question:
    At the part where the pods are allowing you to select between 2A and 9S. Is there an optimal order to play through the two characters, or will I get to see the full stories no matter what order I choose? Don't want to miss anything!

Route B/C stuff:
    The late credits and introduction to route C (the music!) -- so good.

Generally, does anyone bother fighting with 9S? Obviously the chip system makes things super-customizable, but I've found hacking to be a fun and expedient way to deal with robots. Curious about how other ppl approached it.

Think I lost all my 2B chips at some point when I died a few times at the end of route B? -- recovered my body at the start of C but definitely some things missing. Was distraught at first, but finding Emil made that a non-issue. Game just messes with you like that I guess.

First Taro AND first Platinum game I've played, enjoying it very much.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    Route C question:
    At the part where the pods are allowing you to select between 2A and 9S. Is there an optimal order to play through the two characters, or will I get to see the full stories no matter what order I choose? Don't want to miss anything!

Route B/C stuff:
    The late credits and introduction to route C (the music!) -- so good.

Generally, does anyone bother fighting with 9S? Obviously the chip system makes things super-customizable, but I've found hacking to be a fun and expedient way to deal with robots. Curious about how other ppl approached it.

Think I lost all my 2B chips at some point when I died a few times at the end of route B? -- recovered my body at the start of C but definitely some things missing. Was distraught at first, but finding Emil made that a non-issue. Game just messes with you like that I guess.

First Taro AND first Platinum game I've played, enjoying it very much.

Route C - You play through all the sequences, you're just deciding what order to do them.

9S - His charge attacks do a lot of damage, sometimes killing things faster than hacking would be. I did hack a lot with him for sure though.

• Options
    Just noticed something dumb about hacking. So I did it like twenty times.

Certain fights have some scripting that has to play out before the fight can end, rather than a cutscene. So if they can be stunned by hacking, they just never die as long as you keep hacking.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    This game is so fucking good. The music is incredible. The story is totally up my alley, and the combat is incredibly satisfying. Pascal's Village's theme is maybe my favorite so far. At least, it makes me happy when I hear it!

I'm on something like 27 hours, but at least four of those are the system just chilling while I'm off being distracted. I'm not very far in, but I don't care. I'm getting distracted by sidequests now that I have fast travel unlocked. I think I'll just press forward in the story because there are areas that are locked off to me that I want to go see.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    At first I got across to places like the building near Servo by juryrigging a bunch of bullshit launchers, podrides, aerial attacks and dashes, but since Morninglord showed me glide to glide-attack to glide to glide-attack to airdash to glide to glide-attack, I just do that.

Wait, how does this work? I can't seem to get past glide -> glide attack.

• Options

There is also a pod vault that is activated by combining jump and pod attack, a helicopter move, and also certain light attacks move you horizontally quite a ways. Never initiate with the air dash as that resets your abilities.

• Options
    Yeah, six seconds of Anti-Chain works pretty well with Auto-Heal, like I thought. I can be killed in one hit. I can only be killed in one hit. Unless I fall asleep in a trashcompactor, or something, I guess?

Glide with the double-jump, too. Jump, glide, attack, jump, glide, attack.

• Options
    So route C is basically the continuation of the game?

• Options
    Yeah. C is basically the final route of the main game. At the end of it you choose one of two things, and that's how you get endings C and D. Then you do one more thing in the credits to get ending E which is the "true" ending.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Finished the game with all real endings and holy shit, what a game.
    I want to 100% it but there's some researching to be done like how to get unit data to 100%, where to find the remaining weapons, novels and side quests I missed. I know chapter select shows you you missed some but not which or where to get them.

Also I am stuck at Speed Star 3, even with speed chips, one little mistake or hickup on your way and you're done. I can't use slow on the dude either because he starts in the air so I can't drop anything on him.

The song that plays during the credit sequence made me shed a tear.
    Especially when the rest of the world joins you, damn. <3

Also funny story about the ending.
    I had no internet for a week and when I arrived at the "Square Enix" part and realized it became impossible to solo, I had to toggle on my phone as a 4G hotspot and connecting my PS4 to that just to finish the credits fight. Data plan be damned.

Also a question for those that managed to beat the optional 99 boss.

I am level 65 and equiped to the deeth with attack chips but I can't seem to make a dent in to him so thought hacking usually fixes this, but no hacking him barely does anything to him. Do you really have to be level 99 yourself to some decent damage to him?

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    You know, I got really confused when I hit the cap on playtime. Now I can't see which save is the longest.

Feel like I can probably take this secret boss before level 60. We'll see.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I am level 65 and equiped to the deeth with attack chips but I can't seem to make a dent in to him so thought hacking usually fixes this, but no hacking him barely does anything to him. Do you really have to be level 99 yourself to some decent damage to him?

Which optional boss?
    The second one was pretty hard at 99, first one was sort of a joke.
    If you fight the bunny statue outside the amusement park (hack into a mid-sized enemy, then into it) you'll level up real quick. The grind should take like ten minutes from 60 to 99.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    There's a level difference past which you can only do chip damage and 65/99 is on the wrong side of it

I did it at level 74 or so and it was absolutely fine.

• Options
    If I ever meet the motherfucker who came up with "go across the entire map while your systems are failing so you can't run jump or fight" he's getting kicked in the balls for a solid hour

• Options
    I'm a bit into route C and overall This game has so far swung from

Tedious Bullshit (beginning of A)
    Kind of Fun (rest of A)
    Really Fun. (B)
    Back to Tedious Bullshit(immediately starting C)
    More Tedious Bullshit (continuing C)

• Options
    If I ever meet the motherfucker who came up with "go across the entire map while your systems are failing so you can't run jump or fight" he's getting kicked in the balls for a solid hour

I thought that sequence was short enough not to be a real issue. It was supposed to be frustrating and a little scary.

• Options
    There's also the bit where you have to do it 3 times to get all the endings

• Options
    A2's design is like

Oh you guys thought 2B was fanservicey?

Lololololol

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

No you don't, you can just use the chapter select to skip right back to the end.

• Options
    I don't have chapter select

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    You'll get it when you need it.

• Options
    MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    Also I am stuck at Speed Star 3, even with speed chips, one little mistake or hickup on your way and you're done. I can't use slow on the dude either because he starts in the air so I can't drop anything on him.

Remember, you can use speed salves to stack with movement chips. Other than that, I dashed off the side of the building, used a heavy sword attack to put me on the ground faster (without falling stagger) then just stuck to the path just left of the crater, think it only took me two tries with salve and the quick drop.

We believe in you!

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

No you don't, you can just use the chapter select to skip right back to the end.

the game actually has only one ending, it just has bookends on various arcs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Remember, you can use speed salves to stack with movement chips. Other than that, I dashed off the side of the building, used a heavy sword attack to put me on the ground faster (without falling stagger) then just stuck to the path just left of the crater, think it only took me two tries with salve and the quick drop.

We believe in you!

Also if you throw slow immediately at the start it will hit him

It's how I finally got it

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    glimmung wrote: »

I thought that sequence was short enough not to be a real issue. It was supposed to be frustrating and a little scary.

No, there's a couple points where if you fall it's impossible to recover.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy