As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'll give them credit. That's a surprisingly straightforward answer that most others would have skated around.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Wonder if they mean PC or also Xbone. Will buy Xbone copy day one.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My guess leans to more PC than XBone, but who knows. Could be neither. Could be both.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    A PC version would sell more copies than an XBone version overall. PC isn't that big in Japan but it's growing and has a presence everywhere else as well. An XBone version basically has zero reason to release in Japan which I have to think know Squeenix is thinking about by now.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That really just means "We are thinking about it" and doesn't mean "We will do it" in any way shape or form.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think it means they're not locked to the platform through a contact with Sony. Realistically they're not going to spend the money to develop a port unless the game sells well.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    And unfortunately, Platinum doesn't sell well. They're a niche company.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's because their games in general are... well... How do I put this diplomatically? They're in no way bad games. And kudos to the people who can make their games sing and dance. I on the other hand, and likely a lot of people unfortunately, just get pissed right the fuck off playing their games. And it's rarely the good kind of pissed off, the "this is completely my fault, I'm so dumb". It usually bleeds into the other kind, the "this game is fucking stupid and fuck the tools who made it".

They're the best worst game developer in the world. Or maybe the worst best... I don't know. I love them. I wish them all the success in the world. I hate pretty much most of their games with an intense passion. :(

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think Vanquish is their best game. On the surface, it's a generic by-the-numbers third person 'take down the bad guy' third person shooter.

Then you get to Challenge mode.

And do things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1J4TxldPY

Probably the most fun challenge I've ever cleared in a game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So right after Nier Automata was first announced I figured, hey, I should watch a playthrough of Nier since everyone says the story and music is so great but the gameplay itself isn't so hot. Just a handful of days ago I finished watching all the stuff that was added in new game + and the extra endings

and then I listened to the soundtrack for like 3 days straight

and then today I ordered a copy of the game from square. That is a special game and I figured I should support it

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It's because their games in general are... well... How do I put this diplomatically? They're in no way bad games. And kudos to the people who can make their games sing and dance. I on the other hand, and likely a lot of people unfortunately, just get pissed right the fuck off playing their games. And it's rarely the good kind of pissed off, the "this is completely my fault, I'm so dumb". It usually bleeds into the other kind, the "this game is fucking stupid and fuck the tools who made it".

They're the best worst game developer in the world. Or maybe the worst best... I don't know. I love them. I wish them all the success in the world. I hate pretty much most of their games with an intense passion. :(

It's almost always your fault. They always give you the tools. Then they up the ante. And they don't care if you fail. They expect you to overcome. They expect you to get better at using the tools given to you.

People take it personally when they fail. They usually blame everyone except themselves too.

Platinum games are the most fair developer in the biz. The player character is almost always objectively more powerful than any of the enemies. They get ridiculously powerful defensive moves, frequently stupendously powerful counters with invincibility frames out the wazoo, special techniques and abilities that have useful properties that can be used to stun and lockdown hard enemies to finish them handily, enemies that in other games would be unassailable slogs with no respite. There's a few exceptions here and there, because they're not perfect at it, and I don't like those exceptions much. But for the most part, the power is in the players hands. It's up to them to beat the game. It's up to them to get better at the game. It's all on you.

Nowadays that kind of "It's your fault" game design is not at all popular. Even though games that go against it are actually frequently unfair, in a variety of ways, but they get away with it because of a particular feel, a particular "Hey you just did something totally awesome, you are awesome dude" reward flavor the first time you beat the hard (and frequently unfair) boss.

What platinum does is go "Yeah okay you beat it. Took you long enough. Have a B. Try harder next time."

It's a spartan "I expect better of you" attitude that very few people are able to take with grace. Which is fair, I mean, people just want to have fun most of the time, and very few people are interested in replay value, or getting better at video games. They just want to press buttons and have fun things happen, and if there is a skill ceiling, it almost never bothers them. Even very skilled players who don't want to play more than once, it wont bother them, because they're done before they hit that ceiling.
    But there's also that other type of player, who isn't satisfied with a low skill cieling, and wants the game to not just have a high skill ceiling, but challenges to match as they struggle to reach it.
    That's a niche group of players. It is, for the most part, their core audience.
    And that is why they are niche.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think Vanquish is their best game. On the surface, it's a generic by-the-numbers third person 'take down the bad guy' third person shooter.

Then you get to Challenge mode.

And do things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1J4TxldPY

Probably the most fun challenge I've ever cleared in a game.

I dunno, since Platinum is basically Clover Studios with a different name, their best game is and always will be Okami. It's nearly 10 years old and it still holds up to new titles. I also think that game proves that they could make the best game ever, and it still wouldn't sell because they just don't market their games.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Godhand is my favourite game of all time and has not yet been dethroned. Okami had little depth and was pretty boring for me. Nice game, very pretty, but shallow.

Morninglord on
  • Options

It's almost always your fault. They always give you the tools. Then they up the ante. And they don't care if you fail. They expect you to overcome. They expect you to get better at using the tools given to you.

People take it personally when they fail. They usually blame everyone except themselves too.

Platinum games are the most fair developer in the biz. The player character is almost always objectively more powerful than any of the enemies. They get ridiculously powerful defensive moves, frequently stupendously powerful counters with invincibility frames out the wazoo, special techniques and abilities that have useful properties that can be used to stun and lockdown hard enemies to finish them handily, enemies that in other games would be unassailable slogs with no respite. There's a few exceptions here and there, because they're not perfect at it, and I don't like those exceptions much. But for the most part, the power is in the players hands. It's up to them to beat the game. It's up to them to get better at the game. It's all on you.

Nowadays that kind of "It's your fault" game design is not at all popular. Even though games that go against it are actually frequently unfair, in a variety of ways, but they get away with it because of a particular feel, a particular "Hey you just did something totally awesome, you are awesome dude" reward flavor the first time you beat the hard (and frequently unfair) boss.

What platinum does is go "Yeah okay you beat it. Took you long enough. Have a B. Try harder next time."

It's a spartan "I expect better of you" attitude that very few people are able to take with grace. Which is fair, I mean, people just want to have fun most of the time, and very few people are interested in replay value, or getting better at video games. They just want to press buttons and have fun things happen, and if there is a skill ceiling, it almost never bothers them. Even very skilled players who don't want to play more than once, it wont bother them, because they're done before they hit that ceiling.
    But there's also that other type of player, who isn't satisfied with a low skill cieling, and wants the game to not just have a high skill ceiling, but challenges to match as they struggle to reach it.
    That's a niche group of players. It is, for the most part, their core audience.
    And that is why they are niche.

Here's the thing. Using W101 as an example. The game throws two turtles at the player. Who proceeds to get his ass beaten. Either because the snap attack is ridiculously fast, or because while he's focusing on one turtle, the other one does its snap attack. Or every time he has any opening on the first turtle, the second does that fire pillar move and forces the player to break off. Or any other manner of bullshit.

He finally manages to finish the fight, voice likely shot from swearing. And the game hands him a B.

To put that B into perspective. You know how everybody shits on 7/10 reviews? Because that's obviously code for "shit game" and that's how everybody interprets it now? That's what that B rank is to the player.

And it's at that point he just gets pissed off and throws the game away.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Just to hopefully preemptively comment on the paragraph you're probably already typing. :)

I don't want to argue with you. I don't think you're wrong. And it's fabulous you can make these games look like an utter blast to play.

When I play them, I just feel like shit. :(

• Options
    I dunno why you'd think I'd argue with you. We both just said the exact same thing.

• Options
    We're arguing about arguing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HBBf_eDLM

• Options
    edited November 2015
    IM NOT ANGRY WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING IM ANGRY

Morninglord on
  • Options

The other games that Taro Yoko has been in charge of have not been as punishing gameplay-wise as the stuff Platinum is famous for. I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplay that we get is somewhere in between Nier and Platinum. When it's out you should check back here or check out a demo if there is one, and maybe it will be something more to your taste than you expect.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I love Nier to pieces, but I'm worried Nier 2 is going to be a brutally difficult action game based on the way some of you are talking. I really, really hope that isn't the case. Let me just button mash through the junkyard so I can find 5 spark plugs or whatever rare ass thing I need to upgrade my spear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I love Nier to pieces, but I'm worried Nier 2 is going to be a brutally difficult action game based on the way some of you are talking. I really, really hope that isn't the case. Let me just button mash through the junkyard so I can find 5 spark plugs or whatever rare ass thing I need to upgrade my spear.

I'm terrible at video games and I've never had trouble with the Platinum games I've played and greatly enjoyed them.

• Options
    That's good. The way people are talking with shit like invincibility frames and whatever is starting to hurt my head.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Platinum are great at making easy to play, hard to master games, I've found.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Platinum is pretty good at scaling their difficult levels these days, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    One of the interviews mentioned they were specifically making it easier to play. I don't think it is going to have the same ferocity as their normal titles. Plus you've always been able to use items in platinum games just to get through it.

I wouldn't go in expecting bayonetta nier. It's not gonna happen here. I'm more expecting their smoothness and easy to play feel, with a bit of depth, I'm not expecting a traditional platinum action game.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm used to them by now but Platinum games are pretty easy on normal difficulty if you aren't worried about rank.

That said if you want to do cool stuff and feel cool it takes practice.

I'd say that differs from a lot of games that usually have a "press A for cool stuff to happen" approach but at the same time the way they do it offers more freedom and makes you feel more awesome cause you did it.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Yoko: “PlatinumGames’ action might seem a little high-end, but they’re working on adjusting it so that just about anyone can enjoy it and feel that they can play it.”

They're actually really good at that when they want to be. I wouldn't worry about it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Platinum games let you do all kinds of over the top skill intensive gameplay that the game never requires of you.

Then there is the regular flashy fun-looking stuff that happens normally, like level 1 of Revengeance. Looks awesome even if you're screwing up.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    It is one of Platinum's best qualities, making dying look awesome.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    One of my favourite things about platinum games is their recovery options. Most games you get knocked into a wall or some shit, you can't do anything but fall down and slowly get up.
    They let you press a button and do a rebound kick off the wall straight back into the enemies face (Revengeance). When you hit the ground you can press a button to instantly recover into standing (Revengeance/Godhand).

As you get more skilled, there is no longer any reason to use those moves. This is why I like Godhand, because I never got to the ridiculously inhuman skill level where I'd never ever get hit, so I kept needing to use those moves occasionally. That part of my skill set was never invalidated. Cos there wasn't a bonus for no damage, or S ranks, or any of that business. You just got more money at the end of the stage if you died less.
    I actually don't like their ranking systems as much as I like just straight up fighting. The Platinum games I like the best don't overly penalise being low on health and needing to bust out everything you got to beat everything left with one hit point. They don't penalize brawling.

I actually really hope this game doesn't have ranking. I don't think scoring and ranks have any place in Nier.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Okami is neat. That you can pull fire means that you can pull fire from burning demons, and if you carry a burning weapon you can pull fire from it.
    Even making a tiny dot of ink is a thing, an "inkbullet".
    Issun is present, so with the right upgrade you can pull him, too.
    Loadingscreens are tiny minigames.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I liked Okami, but it just kind of dragged after a while. It really does feel like three games in one, and not in a good way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I have tried to beat that game twice and each time I burnt out and lost interest in the snow area.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    LD50 wrote: »
    The other games that Taro Yoko has been in charge of have not been as punishing gameplay-wise as the stuff Platinum is famous for.

inb4 OHKO, no checkpoint, rhythm-game boss fight

Or maybe it won't be OHKO, just that each time you get hit, it deletes one achievement/save-game progress/enemy spawn point/NPC/save point from the world. Eventually by the time you finally beat it, there are no save points, no NPCs, and you have no achievements to show for having beaten the game. The world is left utterly barren from your struggle, but you are still allowed to roam in its open world and reminisce about what used to be there.

And that'll be the happy ending.

Oh man, it'll be even better will be when Nier 3 comes out and asks if you'd like to import Nier 2 data!
    Nier 3 just thanks your console for its efforts as being an Accord, and that its mission has finally come to an end.
    And then Nier 3 turns off your console.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    That actually sounds kinda awesome....

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier Spoilers/Gamplay/Meta
    You don't lose ALL your data. You have a system save that's not deleted. It's why the title screen changes and you can't name your character the same when starting a new game.

That save could totally be uploaded and transferred over if they patch-in a Nier save carry over bonus. ;)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Nier totally should have:
    Deleted your trophies too.

• Options

This would be hilarious, especially since I am one of those people who grew a Lunar Tear for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

This would be hilarious, especially since I am one of those people who grew a Lunar Tear for some reason.

I did too! I cheated the clock though, so it only took a few hours.

• Options

I did too! I cheated the clock though, so it only took a few hours.

I discovered something where you shouldn't plant all the seeds at once or something in order to increase the chances of getting rarer flower seeds. I don't remember the specifics since this was five years ago or something, but I remember it improved the probability part of it a lot.

steam_sig.png