As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    87v8LSL.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Know Your Meme has it listed as the RWBY Monopoly meme edit - No wait it's something else. What the hell internet? And OH MY GOD there's a lot of misses but the hits are... wow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I must have missed this one.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    HA!

DLC arena easter egg:
    5sebclkdz3bp.jpg
    lbuss0bmioh9.jpg

President Evil on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Know Your Meme has it listed as the RWBY Monopoly meme edit - No wait it's something else. What the hell internet? And OH MY GOD there's a lot of misses but the hits are... wow.

My expert sleuthing (lol) labels this as coming from "draw the squad" in which it is one of many templates that can be used.

This is like, a meme in a meme.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    HA!

DLC arena easter egg:
    5sebclkdz3bp.jpg
    lbuss0bmioh9.jpg

The best part.
    ThIn8tEl.jpg

Yes, that was one of the more than tenthousandfourhundred screenshots I had lying around.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    idgi

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    idgi
    It's the standard opening line for the merchants from Resident Evil 4. The android has apparently found a copy of the game and taken it for a historical account.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So this is post ending E, or like... everything, I dunno.
    I don't know what the practical application of those last questions the pod was asking me was, as far as wanting to help people even though it may be someone I don't like, etc, but the answer was always yes. How could I not? People need help and you don't need to make it about liking them or not, or getting thanks in return, etc.

Anyway I don't have a save file anymore so whatever that did I hope it did it well. The title screen is very pretty now though.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I don't know what the practical application of those last questions the pod was asking me was, as far as wanting to help people even though it may be someone I don't like, etc, but the answer was always yes. How could I not? People need help and you don't need to make it about liking them or not, or getting thanks in return, etc.

Anyway I don't have a save file anymore so whatever that did I hope it did it well. The title screen is very pretty now though.

Same
    To me it was the only choice

How do you feel

• Options

By sacrificing your save data, you create a helper that helps other people get through the credits hacking sequence so they can get to the final ending. If you called for help on that part, every extra triangle helping you out was someone else who chose to delete their save to help someone out.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Incredible interview:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/11/24/yoko-taro-nier-automata-interview-game-informer.aspx
    Music has been an integral part of the series and a standout feature. How closely do you work with composer Keiichi Okabe to ensure that the music matches the vision for bringing areas and scenes to life?

It's almost like the game is a slave to the music in a lot of ways. The emotions that are created in the players themselves are [a result of the music] and the game just sort of follows along behind that. I'm not quite sure how it's done outside of Japan, but certainly in most Japanese games development, the music is probably done in the last 30 percent of the development cycle, right at the end. Nier [both Automata and the original] is very different [in that] the music was done in a very early stage, and then the rest of the game worked around that and was fitted into that. The way I ordered the music there is that I look on YouTube for music clips, and I'll get one and I'll paste it and send it over to [Mr. Okabe], and say, "Right, I want something like this; this kind of tempo, this kind of pace, and [then] there's 15 frames in here like at the 45 second mark that the bass turns up, so we're going to have to make it very high-tempo, very exciting, you've got to bring the pace up there."

That's normally the kind of thing I send to him, and I think he really hates that. If you tried that with a regular composer and you made that kind of request, most of them would just turn around and say, "Alright then, you ask the guy that made that to make one for you!" But Mr. Okabe, you see, he quite likes money, so he'll do anything you ask him to. The theme on the overall Nier team, though, is if you'll give us money, we'll basically do whatever you want.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm a goddamn nerd for video game music and that answer is the best thing I've read in my life.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yoko Taro gives the best interviews/statements.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    idgi
    It's the standard opening line for the merchants from Resident Evil 4. The android has apparently found a copy of the game and taken it for a historical account.

whatareya buyin?

apparently not this for me today. went from in my cart for shipping to only available for pickup and only in stock at this location an hour outside the city and that's just not worth the sale price haha. anyone else matching the best buy $25 price? i've seen mostly 35 elsewhere

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    From that interview:
    You're very vocal about your love of drinking. Is that part of your creative process?

I mean certainly, I've always liked drinking a lot, but I remember when I was writing the previous games' scenarios and the stories for them, I noticed a [recurring theme] that all the stuff I had written when I was really out of it was actually the stuff that everyone really liked. And I thought, "Why the hell should that be?" It worked out. If I drink, I become a bit tipsy and a bit of a fool, and I lose my inhibitions. That kind of uninhibited story writing only comes out when I'm drinking, so I definitely try to drink a lot more whenever I'm writing now. It's very interesting; when I'm writing when I'm sober, it's like, "Ah yes, that's an interesting story, I'll write that, I'll put that there." But that's very different then when I've started drinking. I just start getting involved and having an emotional connection to the characters. I'll start crying and [I'm] like, "Wow, this is a really sad story!" So yeah, that's why I think it's better. Then I'll pass out, and wake up with tears down my face like, "Oh, I was writing a story." In the original Nier, there was the story of the wolf and the people with the masks. I remember crying along with the story as I was writing it while I was completely wasted.
    I love this man so much.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So first of all, I have to check whether this interview is going to be written in Japanese, and it's not, so I can tell you. Basically, when I was young and I was in school, I was really, really unpopular with the ladies and it was very hard to get a girl. So I felt at that time that the purpose of my life was to find a girlfriend, and I struggled really hard with that. And when I reached 21 years old, I finally got a girlfriend for the first time, and I thought, "Wow, this is great, I've achieved my life's goal now", so the rest of my life is really just leftover time. I've told this story once before when my wife was around and she got very angry at me and said, "You never tell that to anyone ever again." Again, I really love games, too, so one of my other big goals in life was to develop games. When I finally managed to do Drakengard for the first time, that was another one of my big life goals crossed off. So at the moment, I'm really wondering what I need to look at as a goal for the rest of my life. I'm not sure what I would like.

[...] The one thing I really want you to put in this article though is that, watch out children, because you're not going to learn anything about life or philosophy from a drunk, 47-year-old weirdo.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    He's deluding himself if he thinks she won't find out.

Also, his wife is the artist for Taiko no Tatsujin, which is why these exist:

DD3_Zero_Icon.png

And it probably lead to this, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaB8xEik488

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    so I bought this game on sale over the weekend. Anything I should know before I dive in?

• Options
    You can do it.

• Options
    Spam dodge.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Experiment with different skill chips and level up the ones that fit your style of play. Be aware that because of the "cost" of installing certain chips, it's sometimes better to have two lower leveled chips than a maxed out one.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MouserecoilMouserecoil Registered User regular
    if you make it more than 5-10 hours in to the game and are enjoying yourself, I highly recommend going to the actual end of the game. Stopping at the last little bit because I couldn't take it anymore made me a sad husk of a man.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    if you make it more than 5-10 hours in to the game and are enjoying yourself, I highly recommend going to the actual end of the game. Stopping at the last little bit because I couldn't take it anymore made me a sad husk of a man.

Which means you basically experienced what the characters were feeling.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    It's pretty funny to use Auto-Dodge and Auto-Fire for minigames.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This game is weird for me. Like when I quit playing the game I have a really hard time actually booting it back up to play it. But when I play the game I can't put it down. It's never really happened to me before.

The music though... The music is probably what brings me back, and everything else keeps me going.

• Options
    DQ2FB8TXkAATTr5.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Hey, quick question i thought i'd toss out. So, was thinking of restarting Automata from scratch (i'd started again after Ending E, but then got super busy and drifted away long enough it'd be worth it), i actually could afford to pick up the DLC as well now.
    i was just wondering how it interacts with the main game? Is it something you can get into relatively quickly (as far as access/recommended level), or is it something better to hold off until post(ish) game? If it's the latter, i can hold off a bit more before i buy it.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This went on my backlog working on ending 2. 9S's DPS is just not there and hacking is getting tiresome. I'll pull this out eventually.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    DLC spoilers...
    It doesn't really interact with main storyline. It adds three arenas hidden throughout the map behind the elevator doors that you couldn't open during your regular play through. I was max level when I started it, so I'm not sure when the game lets you access them. Each one has a dozen or so levels; the first few aren't too bad, but for the final ones you'd have to be pretty high level with some good chip sets.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up, Mego. i guess it's something i can leave to the side for the nonce then, which is fine. The DLC isn't exactly pricey, but why spend money when you don't need to.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    This was posted in SE++, but Famitsu published an interview they did with the devs. Had stuff like the surprise that the game sold more than double what they expected. And then the devs did something very troll-like.

Apparently something built into the game hasn't been discovered by any players yet. All they said was that it is "unpleasant."

ALL HANDS ON DECK, PLAY THE GAME AGAIN.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    This was posted in SE++, but Famitsu published an interview they did with the devs. Had stuff like the surprise that the game sold more than double what they expected. And then the devs did something very troll-like.

Apparently something built into the game hasn't been discovered by any players yet. All they said was that it is "unpleasant."

ALL HANDS ON DECK, PLAY THE GAME AGAIN.

More unpleasant than unlocking the final title screen?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Probably Taro just trolling.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My experience playing this for the first hour:

“Well, I’m pretty good at games. I’ll set the difficulty at hard.”

*dies 10 seconds in, credits roll*

“Hm, I guess it isn’t fucking around. Now I know what to expect, I’ll pay more attention.”

*dies at sudden twin stick shooting section*

“So it’s gonna switch up on me here and there. I’ll be watching for that now.”

*dies at unfamiliar character action section*

“Jesus. This is a very long intro section. I’m getting tired of playing through it from the start. It would be nice if there was a way to heal. Wait, I’ll just start hitting buttons and see if one heals or something.”

*finds the healing menu*

“Oh god, I was really handicapping myself. Now that I can recover health this should be easy!”

*gets to giant buzzsaw from nowhere and dies in one hit at full health*

“...”

*switches difficulty to Normal*

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Goddamn the music is good

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The difficulty eases up after the opening segment when you start to tailor your loadout to how you want to play but the opening sequence is often regarded as one of the tougher sections.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I finally got through the intro after switching to Normal

Taking a break to go to work for now, but I’m ready for the alleged weirdness to come