As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I finally got through the intro after switching to Normal

Taking a break to go to work for now, but I’m ready for the alleged weirdness to come

Oh you are so not ready for the weirdness . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    There is no benefit to playing on Hard.

Zero. No trophies, no special scenes, no nothing.

The only thing Hard provides is anger.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The only thing Hard provides is anger.

emotions are prohibited

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It looks like the Square Enix store has the 2B plushie in stock. I never did get around to importing one from Japan after seeing what the shippings costs could be. Shipping from Square Enix is still pricey but not nearly as bad as importing from Japan.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Naked Sephiroth Robot Man

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    It's a boy!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If y’all want me to stop bumping the thread with reactions I will, I’m used to being late to the party

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If y’all want me to stop bumping the thread with reactions I will, I’m used to being late to the party
    You could always split them between here and the SE++ thread!

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    You could always split them between here and the SE++ thread!

That way people will be annoyed more evenly

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Reading people's reactions to Nier Automata honestly brightens my day. Please continue reacting to this strange and wonderful game.

Just keep it in the spoiler tags for those who are also late to the party.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    joshofalltrades

Did you know that the baby bit requires you to be violent? That boss doesn't attack you until you do.

• Options
    joshofalltrades

Did you know that the baby bit requires you to be violent? That boss doesn't attack you until you do.

Yeah I was gonna leave it alone but nothing happened

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    joshofalltrades

An even better part about that "fight"
    The actions you take in Route A as 2B, are mirrored when you do it again as 9S.

If youattack right away in Route A, your AI 2B companion will attack right away when you reach that point in Route B. If you wait ten seconds, she'll wait ten seconds. If you don't attack at all, she won't the second time around either.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular

Watching people stumble into stories they aren't prepared for is 80% of why I bookmark threads

• Options
    I got to the singing boss which has seemed like the most straightforward boss fight so far except for the random hacking mini game out of nowhere

I’m trying to get sidequests done but I’m not really sure how important they are? The rewards are not great and I feel bad for attacking my fellow androids, I’ve been trying to play as peacefully as possible

Not sure if it matters in the end or if this is part of how the multiple endings aspect works

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    endings aren't affected by sidequests, so i recommend doing as many of them as possible for lore, if nothing else

• Options
    Should I do them as soon as they’re available? Is there a point where they become unavailable?

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Several side quests do have a point where they will no longer be available. However, don't stress too much if you miss them. After a certain point you unlock a chapter select and can jump to any point you want.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Wherefore art thou Romeo
    you stupid asshole

Pisseth off

Is certainly a unique take on the Bard

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Oh thank god a fast travel system

I thought I was going to have to play this in bite-sized chunks

I would have advanced the story faster if I had known

• Options
    I ate the mackerel

Death followed swiftly

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Bet it tasted good though.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I dusted this off of my backlog because my PC is fucked and I'm done with Dad of War.

Now I remember why I put it away.
    Nines can't fight for shit and the fetch quests for weapons and upgrades suck. I'll suffer though it and hope I can sort out whatever junk I have to pluck off the ground

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I dusted this off of my backlog because my PC is fucked and I'm done with Dad of War.

Nines can't fight for shit and the fetch quests for weapons and upgrades suck. I'll suffer though it and hope I can sort out whatever junk I have to pluck off the ground
    Nines' hacking can destroy stuff very fast once you get good at the minigame.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »

That's just it though:
    I chew up and shit out shumps. The minigame is a joke to me, breaking up the flow of delicious classic Platinum slashing and dodging.

Cantido on
  • Options

That's just it though:
    I chew up and shit out shumps. The minigame is a joke to me, breaking up the flow of delicious classic Platinum slashing and dodging.

I'm kind of glad that part of it exists, because as far as the usual platinum-level of action game mechanics they usually churn out, I wouldn't put Nier as one of their best efforts.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of stuck at level 17 or so because I want to finish the 10 stamps quest but all those robots in the basement are level 20 and there doesn't seem to be a grinding area. I just found the Forest, so maybe I'll poke around in there some more and hopefully get leveled.

At some point along the way, I lost my autoheal chip because I couldn't make it back to my body before I died again (.....I think. I took a 2-3 month break from this game and now I feel weaker). Part of me is debating a full restart and then staying focused on the game instead of meandering into other games.

I don't think it was said here, but spears seem to be overpowered compared to some of the other weapons. I found one spear not too long ago and it's my main weapon now (I forget the name, but it was relatively easy to find after I checked a wiki).

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I have a question, playing through it for the first time (I had a false start back at release). Just so I'm understanding it right, the Resistance fighters on the planet are androids too? Or are they part human? Just a thought that came up when I was doing the first two fetch quests.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    I have a question, playing through it for the first time (I had a false start back at release). Just so I'm understanding it right, the Resistance fighters on the planet are androids too? Or are they part human? Just a thought that came up when I was doing the first two fetch quests.

they're androids, but not made by YoRHa.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

It's pretty rough having the double whammy of a playthrough(I havent finished B) that is repetitive and boring from a story perspective, and a sudden new form of combat that I suuuck at. I hope I can get up the while to try to continue it someday.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options

Are we supposed to know who did make them yet?

• Options

Are we supposed to know who did make them yet?

Maaaaaybe? If you played the first NieR, you'd know, and there's lore you find at some point in Automata (my memory doesn't recall when) that fills in that bit of information.

• Options
    The minigame and combat are finally requiring my full attention. Shit just got real.

• Options
    I beat it for reals.
    I lent my power to those who will follow. While I don’t mind losing my save, my main reservation stems from the ‘cycle of war’ theme, and while the choice is certainly framed as an altruistic one, I can’t help but feel like it’s not, if the idea is that neither side can voluntarily choose to stop fighting. In retrospect, I feel like the correct decision would have been to give up, and finally let it be over.

• Options
    I got ending A
    That was a little sad but ended on kind of an upbeat note? I’ve heard this game gives you the feels but so far the feels remain dormant.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I got ending A
    That was a little sad but ended on kind of an upbeat note? I’ve heard this game gives you the feels but so far the feels remain dormant.

Ending A is only 33% of the game. Continue, and the feels come. Oh do they come...

• Options
    I read a plot summary of NieR and while I get the gist of that game I’m still confused on some points.
    So did humanity go completely extinct due to the failure of the Gestalt Project? Or did some in fact relocate to the moon after goddamn aliens showed up out of nowhere sometime after the events of NieR?

I’m also still a bit unclear on who is creating androids on Earth if humans do still exist and are only on the moon. Is it Popola/Devola? If so, what is the purpose of that? I thought one of the sisters died in the first NieR, so how come they are both there?

Please only reveal the answers to these questions if they aren’t part of a plot reveal in Automata. Ending A was kind of unsatisfying since it doesn’t do much to explain
    what happens to the machines on Earth once both Adam and Eve are killed, since apparently they were controlling all the hostile robots from the start? But also, they were created by the robots somehow and for some reason? Thinking about all this makes my head hurt.

And I’m not given any indication of whether removing the threat means humans can return to Earth or if YoRHA is still dedicated to eradicating all the machines beforehand, regardless of their lack of hostility?

Do I need to know anything before I start over? Are there special criteria for getting different endings or is it just “replay the game after getting an ending and you get a different one”?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I read a plot summary of NieR and while I get the gist of that game I’m still confused on some points.
    So did humanity go completely extinct due to the failure of the Gestalt Project? Or did some in fact relocate to the moon after goddamn aliens showed up out of nowhere sometime after the events of NieR?

I’m also still a bit unclear on who is creating androids on Earth if humans do still exist and are only on the moon. Is it Popola/Devola? If so, what is the purpose of that? I thought one of the sisters died in the first NieR, so how come they are both there?

Please only reveal the answers to these questions if they aren’t part of a plot reveal in Automata. Ending A was kind of unsatisfying since it doesn’t do much to explain
    what happens to the machines on Earth once both Adam and Eve are killed, since apparently they were controlling all the hostile robots from the start? But also, they were created by the robots somehow and for some reason? Thinking about all this makes my head hurt.

And I’m not given any indication of whether removing the threat means humans can return to Earth or if YoRHA is still dedicated to eradicating all the machines beforehand, regardless of their lack of hostility?

Do I need to know anything before I start over? Are there special criteria for getting different endings or is it just “replay the game after getting an ending and you get a different one”?

Just replay the game.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You aren't actually starting over. Load your save.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    keep playing josh, all your questions will be answered in time