As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The timing on breaking throws is really strange, I find I have to double tap to really ever do it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    m!ttensMoridin889Kristmas Kthulhu
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The timing for a lot of things is strange.

1v1 is really, really, fun. It's a shame that this is exactly the game that'll die in a week after release.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I mean, maybe?

It's getting a lot of press with the beta, tons of viewers on twitch, and is really the only game of it's kind.

I can see people sticking around. But I'm also the kind of person that believes if there's enough people playing online to fill a game when I want to play it, then it isn't dead.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Kristmas KthulhuLord_AsmodeusAvalonGuardBlue mapstopgapHiryu02
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out what the Vanguard classes are supposed to be good at.

The defender classes can parry with lights, the assassins can dodge into attacks to block, the vangaurd get...???

Maybe I approach the game too defensively but why pick em?

Also learned that you can draw duels in this game, if you get a double KO no one gets a point but it advances to the next round, so our game ended 2-2.

I play the Raider because she's a cool big barbarian lady who can pick people up like a sack of potatoes.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what the Vanguard classes are supposed to be good at.

The defender classes can parry with lights, the assassins can dodge into attacks to block, the vangaurd get...???

Maybe I approach the game too defensively but why pick em?

The vanguard are meant to be versatile all arounders, they have a few particular tricks up their sleeves like more aggressive shoves/stuns and generally the best range outside of the hybrids. They are supposed to be a nice middle ground for health, damage, range and speed. The hybrids have range, debuffs, and mixups, the assassins have damage and mobility with some sneaky debuffs thrown in and the heavies are fat and tend to be best at throwing their weight around and tanking hits. The vanguard sit somewhere in between them all where they aren't necessarily the best at any one thing, but they have few weaknesses to match.

Kristmas Kthulhu
    Hm, not having a strength seems like a big liability to me, considering my approach to combat is just to maximize my strength as much as I can. It seems easy to cover your weakness with your strength in this game.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh man this is speaking to me.

I need to figure out which platform people are playing this on.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Oh man this is speaking to me.

I need to figure out which platform people are playing this on.

I foresee this game having legs on consoles. Unfortunately, I'm reasonably certain the PC population will rapidly decline to a very small group of dedicated players.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    MegaMek
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I hope PC because I think consoles are locked to 30 fps.
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I mean, maybe?

It's getting a lot of press with the beta, tons of viewers on twitch, and is really the only game of it's kind.

I can see people sticking around. But I'm also the kind of person that believes if there's enough people playing online to fill a game when I want to play it, then it isn't dead.

I hope so because this is the kind of 'fighter' that I can get behind.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hm, not having a strength seems like a big liability to me, considering my approach to combat is just to maximize my strength as much as I can. It seems easy to cover your weakness with your strength in this game.

Well to go over the Warden:

You can bully people off of ever attacking top by using counter attacks to smash their shit in. Which then makes your defensive game way easier. You've got huge amounts of pressure off of light into shoulder barge mix ups and your attacks all have good range with your top attacks being exceptional in both damage and range.

The big advantage that the Warden really brings is that you don't get a bad match up. You get match ups that make you switch up how you're playing to cope but nothing is outright going to put you at a disadvantage. You aren't going to be a conqueror vs a Nobushi and just crying into your shield as she pressures you from range and punishes your shield bashes.

I feel like one of the game's greatest advantages is no real alternative.

Like, a bunch of shooters will die out early because everyone will just play the new CoD or Battlefield or whatever instead. For Honor doesn't really have that. The closest thing is like, Dark Souls pvp I guess? Or Mount and Blade. And even then, not a lot in common mechanics wise.

And Ubisoft seems like it's going to try to people people invested long term with stuff like the loot system and the territory war stuff.

Honestly this is the most impressed I've been with an Ubisoft title in a long-ass time. Since like, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. For the longest time I felt like they were just comfortable cranking out mediocre AC sequels every year, and I guess they make Rainbow Six games, I never paid attention to those. I'm tired of GTA style games I don't give a shit about Watch Dogs. Then they come along with For Honor, which is a medieval melee combat game with a truly original and cool combat system. With an honestly really cool look and design for everything. Just, yeah. Super impressed. I'm glad they took the risk to do something different.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    HermanoKanaKristmas KthulhuLord_AsmodeusBlue mapSonorkRchanen
    Yeah, the more I'm playing the Warden the more I'm loving this game.

The Warden top Stance is brutal. The light attack has a really high priority, so you can counter attacks coming left or right. Which forces the opponent to attack top (or forever get countered). There you can guard break and bully them around, or wait for the heavy attack and parry them into the ground. You can also mix things up with the clean (heavy + light) which is a fast attack to their left.

I'll have to mess around with the Warden more, it seems.

I was trying Kensai earlier and well, his whole thing seems to be unblockable vertical heavies, but, it has to be the third attack in a chain, and said unblockable telegraphs well and is easily sidestepped. So I must be missing something!

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I was trying Kensai earlier and well, his whole thing seems to be unblockable vertical heavies, but, it has to be the third attack in a chain, and said unblockable telegraphs well and is easily sidestepped. So I must be missing something!

He can skip steps in his chains and can end certain maneuvers with chain finishers.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh hey, something else from doing the practices. if you do basic and advance practice you get the 3500 coins needed to unlock all of the current hero choices.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    InquisitorKonphujun
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I played this game against AI for an hour or so and figured I would check out the thread.

Uh, its almost like you guys are playing a different game. Cancels, priority, combos...

Makes me super afraid to step into player v player matches.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    oh hey, something else from doing the practices. if you do basic and advance practice you get the 3500 coins needed to unlock all of the current hero choices.

Wait, practices?

play against the ai, so you can understand your own moveset, play the advance tutorial so you can get the basics down.
    you need to learn how to cancel enemy stuns, and learn how to parry attacks. I did this for about 20minutes so I could learn the timing on the conqueror.

then jump into a duel and just accept and get your ass handed to you.

honestly, that's probably the best way to learn. you are gonna be fighting people, and they will be doing things you didn't think was possible.
    but you play a few rounds with them and they start giving away tells, and its just the best feeling to learn them and then shut down their offense.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    KonphujunRchanen
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I played this game against AI for an hour or so and figured I would check out the thread.

Uh, its almost like you guys are playing a different game. Cancels, priority, combos...

Most players don't know how to do anything fancy, and those of us that do forget what to do half the time. I've found that people are generally easier to fight then bots just because bots will change guard instantly to block most attacks and people don't.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    Moridin889Blue mapArthil
    edited January 2017

Wait, practices?

from the main menu.

Play > How to Play > Practice and Advance Practice
    there is also a free mode so you can experiment with your fighter.

honestly, this *really* needs to be more prominent. For Honor is in the same vein as Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, and Tekken

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Kristmas KthulhuKonphujunArthil
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    honestly, this *really* needs to be more prominent. For Honor is in the same vein as Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, and Tekken
    Yup, excellently said.

It's a fighting game, which is a genre I am totally not good at, and that's why the game didn't click for me; that's also the reason why it will have the same longevity for me, which is: play a lot the first few days, and then realize I'm not all that good and my fun I experience evaporates in thin air...

So I'm happy that I tried out this beta and realised that it is not for me. Money saved! :biggrin:

It is however, already fun seeing Twitch Fail videos where people are smashing their controllers in rage when they get killed :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
    ArthilHiryu02
    edited January 2017
    alright, so... I'm still new, and I got a lot of time to put into this finally.

PC users, what's your uplay name so I can spam you all with friend invites. Some of you may have N-Ben, and that is me, as well. that one is a defunct account because I had an issue awhile ago when I couldn't remember the password to my actual account (since I hadn't played a Ubisoft game in 6 years before a little while ago)

but now I remembered it. Friend me on Uplay as NotoriusBEN

edit** also, Im hanging out on the PA ventrillo server for a bit so we can actually talk while playing the game

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    So I had a great time playing with @fsmith1 today, and practicing brawls helped me get a *much* better handle on how to combat certain strategies. I think figuring out what works best with your character is very much trial and error, and the chaos of Dominion is way too difficult to understand *why* you got your ass handed to you.

It also made clear that people might not understand what the fuck is the actual objective in Dominion. So I figured I'd make a quick write-up to let everyone know *what* your objective is, and how to accomplish it.

At its most basic, in Dominon you want your team to get 1000 points, then kill every person on the enemy team. There are several ways to earn points, but the two most important ways are by killing the weenie soldiers that meet up at the middle objective (point B), and passively by holding objective areas (A, B, and C). You might notice that when you first capture an objective, the screen flashes and says your team has earned 100 points. "Awesome," you might think to yourself and run off to find baddies to kill. However, it is important to note that those 100 points will be taken from your team if you ever lose control of that objective.

So what's the point of taking them? Well, every second that you control an objective (A, B, or C), your team's point total will tick up by 1. So if you hold one for 60 seconds, that is 60 points towards that 1000 goal that cannot be taken away from you. If at least one person on your team is physically in an objective, that will increase to 2 points per second. The exception to this is objective B (the middle one with all the weenie soldiers), which can't be boosted to earn 2 points per second. But killing those weenie soldiers will increase your score by 1 each! These are also points that cannot be taken away from you!

So let's say your team has earned 800 "hard" points from killing soldiers, and steadily over time from owning objectives. If you hold 2 objectives at this point, that's an extra 200 points, which will bring you to the 1000 point goal and the enemy team will start Breaking. Once the enemy team starts breaking, they no longer respawn! If you manage to kill them all at this point, you win! It is important to note, however, that enemies can still revive each other by going up to their corpses and holding B (or Circle on PS4). And let's say they take one of the objectives away from you, bringing your team's total down to 900 and change. All of their dead can now respawn, and you have to get your point total over 1000 again to stop them.

Once your team has over 1000 points regardless of whether or not you hold any objectives, the enemy team will stop respawning permanently. If you want to prevent them from reviving their teammates over and over, you can perform an execution or throw them down a pit. If you do either of these two things, that player will never come back to life as long as your team has over 1000 points. If both teams are over 1000 points at the same time, neither will have respawns, and it comes down to either taking one team's point total down below 1000 so that your teammates can spawn, or killing all of the enemy players before they can kill all of yours.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if players on opposing teams are in an objective at the same time, neither will get those passive points per second. So you can stop the enemy team from accruing points from objectives by being in one at the same time that they are. This is a great stalling tactic if you can hold an objective for a decent amount of time, and if you get 2 of the enemy team to come and try to get you out of it, that means your team will have fewer enemies trying to stop them from completing other objectives elsewhere! This is a big reason why playing defensively is so important.

This ended up being a lot longer than I'd intended it to, but hopefully it makes sense and helps some of you out there that were confused about the 4v4 game type.

fsmith1NotoriusBENLord_AsmodeusFuriousJodoKonphujunBubsHermano
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

The AI are actually harder than most of the player base who are all timid and uncertain of how to prosecute a good offense.

Kensai Bot meanwhile will wreck you without blinking.

Other than that yeah, the games tutorial does a terrible job of actually teaching you how to play and the tutorial videos for each class still don't really give you a bigger picture to work with. When launch happens I'll probably commit pretty hard to a class so I can actually write a semi competent guide outlining your game plan and how your moves help you achieve that. For now if you're uncertain the Conqueror is probably the most straight forwards class once you get the fact that pretty much any hit can be chained into a heavy to shield bash mix up or just a raw grab. Plus you get an all guard stance to give yourself a panic button.

MegaMekNotoriusBEN
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

He can skip steps in his chains and can end certain maneuvers with chain finishers.

You can, if I remember correctly, also switch your unblockable overhead to a heavy side attack early in the animation, and the Kensai's side heavies are faster than most heavies and their angle makes it difficult to dodge, so if someone tries to sidestep your overhead you can punish them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Welcome to my world.

Just in case people don't understand how the whole level/renown/reputation thing works, until you hit level 20 it will display your level with any given hero. After you've hit 21, you just start to get those single digit frames showing how many times you've reached level 20. I am currently level 34 with Berserker but you only see the number 1, and on the other team there are two that are somewhere between 21-40 and one that is at a staggering 61-80. The number next to that represents their gear score, showing how high level their equipment is and how harshly their strengths and weaknesses will skew because of said gear.

Long story short, that game was a total stomp.

conqueror is beast, if you know how to read your opponent. I love parrying them into no stamina and then just chunk... chunk... chunk... smack! with that endless combo of his.

I've tried warlord, and I can't get into a groove with him. yea, he's a counter attacker with the shield, and he can stall with the shield, but I can't get his timing down, and he definitely is a high risk, high reward hero.

With conqueror I can get stuck in and shut down combos or break them. the longer I can draw out a fight, the more pissed off the enemy gets and they start mashing into my parry riposte giant fuck off chain ball to the head.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I don't suppose I'm likely to get a beta code before the beta is over?

Nah it's really nothing that complicated. Certain classes and have certain moves that can trump other moves, is all, and you learn them via playing.
    conqueror is beast, if you know how to read your opponent. I love parrying them into no stamina and then just chunk... chunk... chunk... smack! with that endless combo of his.

I've tried warlord, and I can't get into a groove with him. yea, he's a counter attacker with the shield, and he can stall with the shield, but I can't get his timing down, and he definitely is a high risk, high reward hero.

With conqueror I can get stuck in and shut down combos or break them. the longer I can draw out a fight, the more pissed off the enemy gets and they start mashing into my parry riposte giant fuck off chain ball to the head.

You can actually turtle and play hyper safe with the Warlord. Down on the right stick blocks any direction and then gives you a free light followup. I usually do this to get an HP advantage and lull the opponent into being aggressive and throwing lots of guard breaks. Then I turn on the heavy strikes that blow through enemy attacks and the light parries to try to finish them off.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Group playing atm on Discord: https://discord.gg/T3xVB

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The "dying soon on PC" worry is legit, I'd say. I hate that it happens. I prefer to play on my PC if I have a choice, in most cases, but some games just don't have staying power on them. They tend to be dominated by bigger names. Just take either Titanfall, for instant. Both FPS games that tried a few new things, were a lot of fun, dead community on PC within months. When people say they'll stick around because of "no alternative" they said that when War of the Roses came out, too, and War of the Roses was a lot like this game. The fighting system is near identical save for some of the throws The closest alternative is Mount and Blade, people still play that.

If I'm going to be playing this I'm going to be playing it competitively, which means playing at 30fps which frankly kind of sucks in a competitive environment.

I've been in several betas for the game, not just this one, so I've seen what it has done to try to keep lasting appeal, and I hope it does. It really is a good game, and i think I can say that right now unless launch throws me a bunch of curveballs.

There are also more than one anticipated games coming out around it - Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Torment (I know, PC only, but still big) plus March's imminent big releases. It's hard to be optimistic, even though I want to be.

Regardless, I'll spend a lot of time chopping fools and having fun, no matter what system I need to do it on.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
    We should really try to get a ps4 crew together when the game comes out. I'm content with messing around in Dominion with randoms in the beta, but 4 people running around without any actual communication isn't a great way to play this game.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    MegaMekMoridin889BubsHermanoFrei
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Man, really wanted to like this game but it's way too technical for me

Was hoping for more Dark Souls and less fighting game

GnomeTank
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Man, really wanted to like this game but it's way too technical for me

Was hoping for more Dark Souls and less fighting game

This is kind of where I'm at, but I'm going to give it some more time during the beta since @Konphujun gave me an invite.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    It's definitely similar to Chivalry, where it has a steep learning curve, but once you get at least semi-competent, and everything starts to click, you really start to feel less frustration from not knowing the controls or mechanics.

KonphujunKristmas Kthulhu
    Best thing to do is to concentrate on one hero and just learn that character. Learns their timing,l their moveset, their hitboxes, etc. Or be a bastard and run around the map on dominion and backstab people in the middle of duels.

Kristmas KthulhuSonork
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    It's definitely similar to Chivalry, where it has a steep learning curve, but once you get at least semi-competent, and everything starts to click, you really start to feel less frustration from not knowing the controls or mechanics.

I was actually just coming here to post that this game is way more similar to Chivalry and Dark Souls than fighting games. Both of those games have absolutely punishing learning curves that involve you getting completely demolished before you are able to make any noticeable progress. Stick with it, pick a class and learn everything about it. Jumping around is very counter-intuitive to obtaining the level of competence needed to feel like a god of the battlefield.

Most of all, accept that you're going to die a lot, and that it is always going to be your fault.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Kristmas KthulhuNotoriusBEN
    yea, I brawled and dueled with @Lord_Asmodeus quite a bit tonight. I *wanted* to play other characters, but the conqueror is just too much fun for me.
    oh and I found out why there are no conquerors in duels or brawls... they are all in dominion. at least 2 or 3 conquerors besides me running around in there every match

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I was actually just coming here to post that this game is way more similar to Chivalry and Dark Souls than fighting games. Both of those games have absolutely punishing learning curves that involve you getting completely demolished before you are able to make any noticeable progress. Stick with it, pick a class and learn everything about it. Jumping around is very counter-intuitive to obtaining the level of competence needed to feel like a god of the battlefield.

Most of all, accept that you're going to die a lot, and that it is always going to be your fault.

I consider the bolded to qualify as pretty technical, at least to a greater degree than I am interested in. I don't really want to have to spend an hour in practice mode to be able to even use a character's moveset correctly.

I'm not saying that's a universal negative, just that I enjoy being able to pick up any given weapon in Dark Souls or Chivalry and utilize every part of its moveset.