As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post-E3 Discussion Thread: Stuff Happened, I Guess

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I wish a PS4 model with a bigger hard drive was announced. You can replace the one included but I don't need a 500gb one lying around.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the announcement. There's been a rumor floating around of a 1tb model and I was sure they'd talk about that at E3.

You think they would have announced it when MS announce their 1TB Xbox One.

Now that I think about it, they probably don't want to hurt sales of the Batman PS4 bundle. Maybe they'll make an announcement after the bump from that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I wish a PS4 model with a bigger hard drive was announced. You can replace the one included but I don't need a 500gb one lying around.

There's one coming, it's been rated by the FCC. RidleySaria's probably right, so maybe they'll announce it some time around mid-July.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

You don't need it lying around. You can put it in an enclosure and convert it into an external or you can slot it into a desktop.

I pulled the 500GB HD out, looked at the 120GB PS3 that had been sitting unused since the blu-ray drive stopped reading discs, and there was a bit of internal connecting of two and two and a bit of real-world connecting of drive A into slot B and now it's been resurrected as a digital-only PS3.

It was, what's the word, serendipity, especially with all the PS3 games I've picked up on PSN sales in the last year.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I can totally see the worth of hololens for stuff

You don't need it lying around. You can put it in an enclosure and convert it into an external or you can slot it into a desktop.

Or use it with the WiiU.

Speaking of WiiU and mario maker, how much pre made content is there? Because I'm up for getting all new Mario, Mario 3 and Mario World levels from Nintendo.

Also, will anyone actually use the new super Mario Bros style given the awesome alternatives?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Or use it with the WiiU.

Speaking of WiiU and mario maker, how much pre made content is there? Because I'm up for getting all new Mario, Mario 3 and Mario World levels from Nintendo.

Also, will anyone actually use the new super Mario Bros style given the awesome alternatives?

Well, the NWC levels will be included. After that, I don't know. I hope Nintendo uploads their own levels. Those would be a blast. I image they'll tell us in the pre-release direct they'll inevitably have.

As for SMB style, I can see it being used for 2 reasons.

1. Retro hipster purists.
    2. Amiibo mystery mushrooms only work on that style.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize until E3 was over but I was expecting the next mainline Sonic game to be announced.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I didn't realize until E3 was over but I was expecting the next mainline Sonic game to be announced.

Just play Freedom Planet. You'll be happier.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They announced a Sonic Boom game for the 3DS didn't they?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    They announced a Sonic Boom game for the 3DS didn't they?

They did.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am wondering if Sony will try to make a proper PS3 emulator to combat Xbox BC or just stick with PS Now. Exclusives aside, it's the one thing Xbox Uno is doing right now that PS4 can't. Plus being able to freely redownload games I already bought is amazing. PS Now is almost universally panned at this point. I doubt Sony will give up the steaming stuff since they bought Gaikai for that express purpose. I am not sure if there's any good option for them in regards to backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll just ignore it?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Or use it with the WiiU.

Well, the NWC levels will be included. After that, I don't know. I hope Nintendo uploads their own levels. Those would be a blast. I image they'll tell us in the pre-release direct they'll inevitably have.

As for SMB style, I can see it being used for 2 reasons.

1. Retro hipster purists.
    2. Amiibo mystery mushrooms only work on that style.

SMB style prevents any leaf usage. Well I guess you can make sure that doesn't happen by not placing one too, but the leaf does heavilly change what you have to do to a level. I dunno if when you do runs of levels things can carry over. So that could be a reason SMB style is valid. And some of the enemies look pretty silly in that one.

As for levels, the BB demo had what I assume is all premade levels (I doubt those guys did anything themselves) and it had like 10 worlds of 3 levels each done. I recognized most of them too. So I would say thats your starting set right there.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    I am wondering if Sony will try to make a proper PS3 emulator to combat Xbox BC or just stick with PS Now. Exclusives aside, it's the one thing Xbox Uno is doing right now that PS4 can't. Plus being able to freely redownload games I already bought is amazing. PS Now is almost universally panned at this point. I doubt Sony will give up the steaming stuff since they bought Gaikai for that express purpose. I am not sure if there's any good option for them in regards to backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll just ignore it?

They could at least try to compete with back compat by letting people play the PS3 games they own digitally for free on PSNow

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I'm more curious about PSVue. It has "too good to be true" written all over it, yet we are at the end-times of the cable giants and on paper, PSVue has what people want (hassle-free installation and true a la carte channels)

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    PS3 emulation on the PS4 is basically impossible. The Cell is a stupid processor.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, the 360 shouldn't be too hard for the One to emulate. I'm curious how well the preview program games run.

I think we're seeing backwards compatibility happening now because the Xbox division has finally cleaned up all of Don Mattrick's terrible mess.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Yeah, the 360 shouldn't be too hard for the One to emulate. I'm curious how well the preview program games run.

I think we're seeing backwards compatibility happening now because the Xbox division has finally cleaned up all of Don Mattrick's terrible mess.

I mean, the 360 is very hard for the XB1 to emulate. The state of 360 emulation on significantly more powerful PCs is credit to that. But the cell is orders of magnitudes more different than the relatively standard PPC architecture in the 360.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    It would be funny if Sony implemented ad-hoc backwards compatibility by basically having 3rd parties take the PC or 360 version of old PS360 multiplats and gussy them up for PS4 re-release, which wouldn't work for the exclusives because it would require a full-scale port job.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I mean, the 360 is very hard for the XB1 to emulate. The state of 360 emulation on significantly more powerful PCs is credit to that. But the cell is orders of magnitudes more different than the relatively standard PPC architecture in the 360.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It is easier (not easy) for the 360 -> One backwards compatibility because it's just PowerPC, and may be helped along by people who have worked close to the system. Compare that to the nightmare that is the Cell processor, where it took some developers years to get used to, and you can see why PS3 BC will never, ever happen.

Unless Sony wanted to start shipping PS4s with built-in Cell processors.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well, one thing BC has going for it is Microsoft can pretty much pack in any previous games with their current gen sequels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex MD comes with HR.

Which is actually a first for backwards compatibility and something I never really thought about before the announcement.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Each skin includes features and a moveset exclusive to that game. NSMB style has wall jumping and ground pound. Maybe also triple jumping, I haven't seen it demonstrated yet but it should have it. And maybe it'll have the propeller cap from NSMB Wii?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I could have sworn I saw the propeller cap in a SMM video. I remember them doing the triple jump on the Treehouse stream. The guy even made a long flat stretch just to try it out.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Forget PS3 BC, I want PS1/PS2 games to work on PS4.

At the very least they need to expand the PS2's digital library and bring it over to PS4.

That was the one announcement I was really hoping for in Sony's conference. Even though you won't hear me complain with what we did get, I still want it to happen.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Guys, we have the ultimate E3 recap. Nothing more needs to be said. Go home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovwOqghjPY

This was terrible. Why would you post that?

I've never wanted to punch someone through the computer so badly before.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I'm more curious about PSVue. It has "too good to be true" written all over it, yet we are at the end-times of the cable giants and on paper, PSVue has what people want (hassle-free installation and true a la carte channels)

A la carte channels is serious mixed bag and long term I think it's more likely to hurt more than help. All those niche channels that you might like but many people don't? They'll be the ones that die out w/o package pricing keeping them afloat. Or they'll migrate to the net, and the cable companies will get their lost revenue there back from their ISP services. Cable Giants (like Comcast and Verizon) are also ISP giants...

It's hard to see a situation where people don't wind up paying more and getting less with a la carte programming imo... and people who still get bundled are also going to eat higher costs because the "lower price" of bundled channels is due to subscriber volume.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Name a weird niche channel that anyone gives a shit about

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm interested to see what they do with any items that are exclusive to one game. ...If there are any at all at this point. There's the obvious stuff we've seen already, like 8-bit boos, chain chomps, bob-oms. The Bowser sprites in 3 and World are completely new. We've seen Jr. in a few as well. I wonder if there are 8-bit versions of Yoshi. Given that you can change games at the touch of a button, there must be some sort of system that auto changes items into an appropriate equivalent. Like I imagine if you put a racoon leaf in a block in 3, it would change to a cape or propellor cap in World/NSMB.

But what would it change into if you switch to SMB style...???

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Name a weird niche channel that anyone gives a shit about

"Weird" is not a qualifier that I put into my post... but IFC (even post rebrand it's still niche), Science (from Discovery), and TMC are niche channels that aren't in most basic packages.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I already made the prediction that Super Mario Maker will get a new world palette DLC when Wooly World comes out, which will of course, be wooly world themed. I'm 99% sure that I am 100% sure that is the cause of the release gap.

I plan on using the original SMB palette to try and create as much of the original game as possible, but inverted. So you play it World 1-1, but the levels are built backwards.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    "That new Metroid game looks pretty exciting!"
    - No one ever

It does, though.

https://youtu.be/9wx5now2XJo?t=133

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

The game is not what I want from a new Metroid game at all and even judged on its own merit that game looks pretty bland to me.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I feel like a Wooly World theme would feel very out of place amongst all those iconic Mario themes.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Digital Foundry has some early impressions up from the preview program.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm kind of bummed there's no SMB2 option, but that understandable considering it's literally a completely different game. :)

It'd make for a hell of a DLC pack though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

I don't think PS Now has been universally panned actually. It seems to work fantastically for some people and doesn't for others.

But like Knight said, emulating PS3 isn't going to happen any time soon and certainly not on the PS4. PS Now is the only logical solution to that problem.

PS1/PS2/PSP backwards compatibility though? Yeah, I'm sure we'll see that at some point. They already have the emulators required to do so, they "just" need to port them over and test/re-license the digital catalogues. I'm surprised they haven't added them already, to be honest, but it's probably just a matter of time before they do.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    That seems to be the way things go now. Launch your console pretty bare bones, then add features over time.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Do you think the lack of Nintendo products during E3 marks of the start of the dev teams moving to NX?

I kinda expected more Pokemon noise.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I believe that; Zelda is probably the last major Wii U game.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I think of Playstation Now as something along the lines of Netflix for games, and just like Netflix, its future is original content. Eventually games streaming services will have to branch out of retro gaming. I imagine a future where services such as Playstation Now will offer experiences that can't be powered locally because of prohibitive cost. Experiences that are the equivalent of Netflix Originals, or what HBO shows are in comparison to basic cable shows. I don't know if you've ever seen the Shinra Tech Demo - but the potential of streaming technology goes far beyond rehashing old games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjZlbWBHF4

In regards to Backwards Compatability, sure, it's nice, but do I personally use it? Hardly. I think I replayed one original Xbox game on my 360 (Jade Empire), and I never finished the playthrough either. I think if I ever want to play an old game, it's not one I already own, but one that I want to discover for myself, because I heard somebody raving about it. For discoverability purposes streaming services like Playstation Now are way more convenient than having to hunt down physical copies. Let's say Playstation Now's library keeps expanding and will one day include 90+% of all PS1 and PS2 and PS3 games (and why stop there, there's no technical reason why it couldn't do Dreamcast games and 16-bit era SEGA games and whatnot). The only reason why not every old game could show up on PS Now are legal and business reasons.

As far as I see it, backwards compatibility is a breeze. It may fill Microsoft's sails a bit and add some minute momentum. Streaming technology is a major flippin' hurricane building up out at sea. Nobody really knows how bad it will get, but it will make landfall one day, and only in its aftermath will we see how much of the *Old World of Gaming* will withstand its fury. The day of streaming games might not come tomorrow, or the day after that, but it will come someday, and I'd wager it'll come before this decade is out.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Do you think the lack of Nintendo products during E3 marks of the start of the dev teams moving to NX?

I kinda expected more Pokemon noise.

Nintendo's kind of hard to predict, since their "it's finished when it's finished" philosophy has long given them feast or famine years.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they haven't shifted over to NX big time, since it's apparent nothing will stop the Wii U from selling horribly.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

I think of Playstation Now as something along the lines of Netflix for games, and just like Netflix, its future is original content. Eventually games streaming services will have to branch out of retro gaming. I imagine a future where services such as Playstation Now will offer experiences that can't be powered locally because of prohibitive cost. Experiences that are the equivalent of Netflix Originals, or what HBO shows are in comparison to basic cable shows. I don't know if you've ever seen the Shinra Tech Demo - but the potential of streaming technology goes far beyond rehashing old games.

In regards to Backwards Compatability, sure, it's nice, but do I personally use it? Hardly. I think I replayed one original Xbox game on my 360 (Jade Empire), and I never finished the playthrough either. I think if I ever want to play an old game, it's not one I already own, but one that I want to discover for myself, because I heard somebody raving about it. For discoverability purposes streaming services like Playstation Now are way more convenient than having to hunt down physical copies. Let's say Playstation Now's library keeps expanding and will one day include 90+% of all PS1 and PS2 and PS3 games (and why stop there, there's no technical reason why it couldn't do Dreamcast games and 16-bit era SEGA games and whatnot). The only reason why not every old game could show up on PS Now are legal and business reasons.

As far as I see it, backwards compatibility is a breeze. It may fill Microsoft's sails a bit and add some minute momentum. Streaming technology is a major flippin' hurricane building up out at sea. Nobody really knows how bad it will get, but it will make landfall one day, and only in its aftermath will we see how much of the *Old World of Gaming* will withstand its fury. The day of streaming games might not come tomorrow, or the day after that, but it will come someday, and I'd wager it'll come before this decade is out.

The U.S. will see to it that this day remains a long way off, unless the FCC's newfound backbone leads to some sweeping changes fast. Still large parts of the country where broadband is not anywhere near where streaming 7th or 8th gen games is a possibility, and won't be there for 25 years unless the FCC lights a fire under the asses of the big telecoms. And none of the major players would rebuild their entire strategy over something that would cut off a large proportion of U.S. and Canadian markets as well as chunks of the developing world who are just now getting to the point where regular consoles are in reach.

I could be wrong. In a perfect world, i would be wrong.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

You do realize that every game that will be BC is downloaded and could therefore be purchased or given away digitally, right?

And that this tech works now instead of in some nebulous future where bandwidth caps and speed don't matter?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.