As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    The only FF8 song that I don't dislike because it's otherwise associated with FF8 is The Man with the Machine Gun.

FF7 remake
    Madican wrote: »
    The story is such a big pile of plot holes and garbage. Absolutely none of it makes sense except as a fever dream.
    Especially the orphanage plot point!

http://squallsdead.com/

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    The story is such a big pile of plot holes and garbage. Absolutely none of it makes sense except as a fever dream.

it's final fantasy

it ain't that deep

take the shit at face value

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    So I got the thing that lets me make items from cards, is there also a thing that lets me make magic from them? Or is it a multi step process to make items from the cards and then magic from the items?

FF7 remake
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's final fantasy

it ain't that deep

Well, I think it's dumb either way, but at least that theory makes it dumb in a slightly more interesting way.

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I liked Zell a ton...dude loved him some hot dogs. I swear, Squall's dialogue must have been 1/3 ellipses. I remember disliking his attitude towards basically everyone.
    I do agree that the summons and limit breaks were awesome.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I just bought Final Fantasy VII for my iPhone because I am a consumer whore

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's final fantasy

it ain't that deep

Also
    "Everything in discs 2 and 3 were a dream and nothing mattered" is, like

A phenomenally shittier plot than just taking FF8 at face value.

IKknkhU.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Javen wrote: »
    So I got the thing that lets me make items from cards, is there also a thing that lets me make magic from them? Or is it a multi step process to make items from the cards and then magic from the items?

Short answer: each GF has a Refine magic ability that converts items to magic.

Long answer: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Refine

Nier 2
    Like, maybe the plot makes more sense if that theory is true (I personally find it to be more absurd, but whatever)

But the plot that theory espouses would have zero meaningful character interaction, conflicts, and decisions

Which, like, are kinda the whole reason stories exist

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    My favorite FF8 theory is pretty old, and I'm no longer convinced it's actually in the text very much, but I prefer it so much to a surface-level reading of the plot that I can accept this

dN0T6ur.png
    Nier 2
    Wyborn wrote: »
    My favorite FF8 theory is pretty old, and I'm no longer convinced it's actually in the text very much, but I prefer it so much to a surface-level reading of the plot that I can accept this

What was it?

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Stilts wrote: »

What was it?

FF8 ending stuff
    Ultimecia is Rinoa after her guardian force has completely stripped her of her memory and she is trying to condense time to a single point so she can reach back for the echo of a love she is sure she once had - until that purpose is lost too, and all she has left is the act itself, so she doesn't even recognize Squall when she sees him. She recognizes him enough to create Griever from the power in his heart, though

dN0T6ur.png
    Nier 2

What was it?

FF8 ending stuff
    Ultimecia is Rinoa after her guardian force has completely stripped her of her memory and she is trying to condense time to a single point so she can reach back for the echo of a love she is sure she once had - until that purpose is lost too, and all she has left is the act itself, so she doesn't even recognize Squall when she sees him. She recognizes him enough to create Griever from the power in his heart, though

Oh yeah
    I've seen that theory bandied about before.

It's a neat one, but I also never really felt there was compelling evidence.

It's one of those theories where I'd be fine with it be true, though.

IKknkhU.gif
    FF7 remake
    6mU3GC0.jpg?1

Welp!

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Reminds me of the crazy person that maxed out everyone's levels in a Tales game...demo.

uyvfOQy.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    leveling to 99 in 3 minutes is very impressive

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    FFVIII is rad

It could be better, certainly

But the characters are great, the story and setting are so awesome that I kinda don't care too much about its gameplay fuckups

kiiiinda agree

okay like, honestly I felt the setting wasn't fleshed-out enough to really feel too strongly about--what even is the political landscape of this world? all we see is that there's one presumably belligerent nation led by a literal monster who teamed up with a literal wizard

and then a bunch of what are presumably city-states? somehow, in a fully modern world? and also there are these weird mercenary schools everywhere that somehow haven't yet completely unbalanced the political structure of this place?

okay....

the story is full of weird nonsense like
    1) pretty much everything to do with sorceresses (I don't know why they even went there, the politics alone should have been enough but you know how it is, it's not a final fantasy game if they don't put at least one evil wizard in it for no reason)

2) "we all used to live together but we forgot"

characters I will give you, they are definitely the best thing about the game*, though I will point out that it kind of had the same problem FFVI did, which is that most of them didn't get enough screen time, which is pretty inexcusable in a forty hour game

*except Seifer, who is basically the same person as Gary Oak from fuckin' Pokemon

Shorty on
    FF7 remake
    Jars wrote: »
    leveling to 99 in 3 minutes is very impressive

They give you Omnislash too

Other
    that's nice of them

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake

What was it?

FF8 ending stuff

Oh yeah
    I've seen that theory bandied about before.

It's a neat one, but I also never really felt there was compelling evidence.

It's one of those theories where I'd be fine with it be true, though.
    yeah I think if there were more evidence for that it would actually make the game better since then there'd actually be a point to all the Sorceress stuff

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    I only played the first disc of FF8, and I spent most of it wishing I was allowed to play either of the far better games they could have made with either Laguna's or Seifer's teams.

uyvfOQy.png
    FF7 remake
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I only played the first disc of FF8, and I spent most of it wishing I was allowed to play either of the far better games they could have made with either Laguna's or Seifer's teams.

I vaguely remember rumors to the effect that Fujin and Raijin were going to get a spinoff at some point, years ago, back when they might still have been relevant

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Reynolds wrote: »

I say this every time FF8 comes up, but it's still one of my favorite bits of trivia, so heck...

Did you know that Laguna's parts had a different localization team from the rest of the game? It was one of the first big jobs at Square for Alexander O. Smith.

So, if it feels different from the rest of the game, that's part of why.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    6mU3GC0.jpg?1

Welp!

i...don't know how i feel about this

like no encounters i get but infinity gil and instant max levels? uh

Orphane on
    FF7 remake
    I don't even know what I'm looking at

VITA port of ff7 with mods or an official trainer?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Yeah at this point I think I'm just going to learn encounter-none, and just try and blitz through the game as quickly as possible

FF7 remake
    Impressions of FFVII iOS after spending 30 minutes with it

- Virtual analog stick is mostly fine. It's responsive, but the problem with FFVII is that pressing up does not always correspond to the character moving "up" onscreen - the game uses some weird camera angles.
    - It's definitely preferable to the virtual D-pad that takes over in menus/in battle though. The buttons are way too small.
    - Max stats/no encounters is a great addition for people that would just want to experience the story and not mess around with any of the gameplay systems, akin to the Very Easy mode in Persona 4 Golden
    - It's the same translation - I know some people (including @Professor Snugglesworth ) were hopeful for the PS4 port coming this winter having a new translation, but if this version is any indication, it won't be the case
    - Definitely looks better than the PS1 version! Characters are a slightly higher res. But I legit love the way FFVII looks as is so this small improvement is welcome
    - The "swirl" when you go into battle looks really slick, almost out of place with how old everything else in the game looks
    - If you somehow lack a PC, PS1, PS2, PS3 or PS4, it's probably worth it, but definitely check out the PC/PS1 version first, unless like I said you just want to do god mode. Even so, I might say hold off and see if the PS4 version contains that stuff.

FF7 remake
    Orphane wrote: »
    6mU3GC0.jpg?1

Welp!

It's for people that want the experience of FFVII but don't want to bother learning the systems

Options are good

Other
    if bravely default's only legacy as a jrpg is an encounter slider then that would be enough

edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't even know what I'm looking at

VITA port of ff7 with mods or an official trainer?

FFVII for iOS, released today

It has a max stats option and no random encounter option

UnbreakableVow on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake

It's the same translation - I know some people (including @Professor Snugglesworth ) were hopeful for the PS4 port coming this winter having a new translation, but if this version is any indication, it won't be the case

I'm still hoping. Kagari from GAF said last they heard, the PS4 version was going to get a new translation.

But if they were committed to re-translating the game, it's odd that they wouldn't apply it to this iOS version, which may potentially be one of the largest audiences for this re-release.

I mean, why else would that PS4 port be taking so long? It was originally going to come out in Spring. Is Square so busted with their release schedule they can't even get a barebones port released on time?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    Nier 2
    Orphane wrote: »
    6mU3GC0.jpg?1

Welp!

It's for people that want the experience of FFVII but don't want to bother learning the systems

Options are good

That's rad.

Should you make sure to try out all the summons and limit breaks at least once, though.

Especially Knights of the Round.

Experience it in all its set-the-controller-down-and-make-a-sandwich glory.

IKknkhU.gif
    FF7 remake
    Oh for sure

I mainly picked up the iPhone version as a curiosity, just wanted to see what had been done with it

But now that it's on there and doesn't seem like it saps my power as fast as other games have in the past, I might stick with it, leaving no random encounters on

If they do release it this way on PS4, I'll probably do two separate runs, one legitimate run for Trophies and another run to just destroy everything in two seconds because I miss the days of GameShark

edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    Oh for sure

I mainly picked up the iPhone version as a curiosity, just wanted to see what had been done with it

But now that it's on there and doesn't seem like it saps my power as fast as other games have in the past, I might stick with it, leaving no random encounters on

If they do release it this way on PS4, I'll probably do two separate runs, one legitimate run for Trophies and another run to just destroy everything in two seconds because I miss the days of GameShark

GameShark still kinda exists, believe it or not.

My friend would use them for games where he didn't want to do a crazy amount of grinding. Instead of having a discrete thing you put into your system, you copy your save file from your PS3 and send it to them, and then they manually edit it and send it back to you.

EDIT: Well, it's technically GameGenie that does that. But they were basically the same thing anyway.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    FF7 remake
    iOS version defaults to Aeris, as it should be

edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Whoa uh

I think I'm stuck

You know the spot where you have to walk outside of Aeris' house without being caught?

Well the iOS version defaults to running. You can walk by holding down B and moving, but as soon as Cloud gets outside his door, he starts running and gets caught

This has happened like

Fifteen times in a row now

EDIT: Someone on GAF had the same problem, apparently you hold down A, which is...not the walk button. What the fuck?

UnbreakableVow on
    Nier 2
    Whoa uh

I think I'm stuck

You know the spot where you have to walk outside of Aeris' house without being caught?

Well the iOS version defaults to running. You can walk by holding down B and moving, but as soon as Cloud gets outside his door, he starts running and gets caught

This has happened like

Fifteen times in a row now

Can you switch the default?

IKknkhU.gif
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Nope, but apparently you have to press A for that part - you won't walk, you'll sprint, but Aeris won't wake up

Walking straight up doesn't work

EDIT: IN MORE IMPORTANT NEWS, THE FF PORTAL APP HIT IOS TODAY AND HAS TRIPLE TRIAD

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.