Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

19495969798100»

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Okay, serious question now; how long until someone convinces someone else to license out the System Shock rights and just flat out make a new System Shock game (not a spiritual successor)

this is a bit late (and may have already been answered) but

the rights to the entire franchise are owned by Night Dive Studios as of ... about a month ago

• SorceSorce Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    I think Dead Space was a better successor, plus it had spiritual stuff too

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

dead space was an Alien analogue

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

so it was a survival horror game is what you're saying
    ...how is System Shock 2 not survival horror?
    Once you have a moderate amount of familiarity with the game mechanics, you're too badass for the game to really count as survival horror.
    That argument works for any game though.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    BionicPenguin
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

Once you have a moderate amount of familiarity with the game mechanics, you're too badass for the game to really count as survival horror.

for the record I was saying it was a survival horror

all of those things paladin listed are staples in most survival games

STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

I disagree
    Lotta horror types make you totally worthless in any confrontation

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    cB557
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    I think a key feature of good survival horror is that you can't really fight the monsters. Your chief mechanics should be focused on hiding and or escaping.

9m1sgpgi7202.gif
    cB557
    I think a key feature of good survival horror is that you can't really fight the monsters. Your chief mechanics should be focused on hiding and or escaping.

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    BroloturtleantStraightzi
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

I think that's a key part of the survival part. Other horror games are fine too, but I hesitate to think of it as survival horror.

9m1sgpgi7202.gif

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

I think that's a key part of the survival part. Other horror games are fine too, but I hesitate to think of it as survival horror.

dead space, RE2, ss2, fatal frame?

all of them give you more supplies than you'd ever need and are all considered some of the best survival horror games ever made

STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

StiltsBrolochrishallett83
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

dead space, RE2, ss2, fatal frame?

all of them give you more supplies than you'd ever need and are all considered some of the best survival horror games ever made

Also while RE4 doesn't drown you in bullets, it's not exactly stingy, either.

IKknkhU.gif
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    defenseless horror is an extremely modern stylistic choice

7UVunkN.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    defenseless horror is an extremely modern stylistic choice

I don't think that's true, lots of old horror movies are based on the monster being so overwhelmingly tough that the protagonists have no choice but to flee. RE1, one of the earliest of the modern horror game genre, is also in that style.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    except for your gun

7UVunkN.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    in RE1 they do the ammo scarcity thing, so you can fight a few monsters, but you won't have enough ammo to fight everything

BahamutZERO.gif
    that is still very different than the "you cannot defend yourself at any point" modern horror game

7UVunkN.jpg
    Stilts
This discussion has been closed.