As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    look at that awkward, standardized font

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    sadly I couldn't come up with old versions of the exile 1 and 2 graphics. I'll poke around a little more

all four exile games are freeware now

Jars on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    look at that awkward, standardized font

In my head the name for it is literally "System Font"

I guess it's actually called MS Sans Serif though.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    awww yeah, just set up the new router and modem

mm8Q296.png

I'm paying for 100/10 (or maybe 100/5) on time warner

pretty nice jump going from 25/5 with Verizon

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Any good websites to buy a cheap PC with lots of RAM and a halfway decent video card?

I currently have a ~3 year old budget laptop, and I essentially have a budget of $0, so it needs to be as cheap as possible. The only gaming I would probably even do is MechWarrior: Online and similar stuff, mostly Netflix and youtube and the like.

e: for clarity's sake, I'm interesting in upgrading my internet. I currently have ~18Mb, and AT&T offers 45 and 75, but I feel like especially at the latter my PC would become the bottleneck

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    If you want cheap with a few quality parts, you're better off building your own. Use this as a template, then upgrade individual pieces. Easier than getting something cheap and pre-built with all shitty parts.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I don't understand how you expect anyone to work with a budget of essentially $0 dollars especially if you want a "halfway decent video card" which is going to cost like $150.

About the only thing I can recommend is checking Craiglist to see what people are in your area are offloading but don't expect to find a reasonably priced "gaming" rig because those are always overvalued by their original owners.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Oh yeah, I forgot used.

I never trust used electronics though. And I just assumed that didn't mean "literally zero dollars" but more "as cheap as could be at all possible".

Oh! You're in IT, Tox. Just steal from work ;)

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    18Mbit down isn't fast, but it isn't really a struggle either. It's enough to stream, and to download most things in a relatively timely fashion.

AAA games have gotten very big, you're going to have to wait a long time for download anyway on all but the most blazing connections.

A bit of a caveat is if you share with other people. 2 people both streaming TV over that line will kill any remaining download speed.

For online gaming purposes ping, upload speed, and connection stability all matter way more than your pure download speed. You want to talk to get to the server fast, that all the packets arrive, and up is usually more of a bottleneck than down.

I remember doing a test on WoW back when I played it, it used about 100kbs, peaking at maybe 200kbs when raiding.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Any good websites to buy a cheap PC with lots of RAM and a halfway decent video card?

I currently have a ~3 year old budget laptop, and I essentially have a budget of $0, so it needs to be as cheap as possible. The only gaming I would probably even do is MechWarrior: Online and similar stuff, mostly Netflix and youtube and the like.

e: for clarity's sake, I'm interesting in upgrading my internet. I currently have ~18Mb, and AT&T offers 45 and 75, but I feel like especially at the latter my PC would become the bottleneck

My 4 year old macbook air wouldn't bottleneck 100mb internet, and it ain't no powerhouse. Not saying don't upgrade if you want to, but your PC won't slow down your internet.

edited July 2015
    e: nevermind I'll figure it out thanks for the advice those that gave it.

Tox on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I just got a little windows 8.1 tablet to use as an e-reader for colour content / viewing videos when on trips -- previously we had a sketchy android tablet which worked sort of okay but got flakier and flakier as time passes, so I wanted to go with an OS where I know what's going on.

Except that it's windows 8.1 rather than win7, so things aren't quite what I'm expecting; once I'd found the desktop and the 'show full keyboard' switches everything is pretty much okay, and I can consume all my media just fine -- is there anything else I should be looking out for / tweaking?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just got a little windows 8.1 tablet to use as an e-reader for colour content / viewing videos when on trips -- previously we had a sketchy android tablet which worked sort of okay but got flakier and flakier as time passes, so I wanted to go with an OS where I know what's going on.

Except that it's windows 8.1 rather than win7, so things aren't quite what I'm expecting; once I'd found the desktop and the 'show full keyboard' switches everything is pretty much okay, and I can consume all my media just fine -- is there anything else I should be looking out for / tweaking?

Download ClassicShell. It's a godsend.

schuss wrote: »

Download ClassicShell. It's a godsend.

Or wait, like, a week, and upgrade to Windows10 for free.

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    I'm moving out into the country where the biggest pipe I can buy is 3 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up. :(

Steam ID: highentropy
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    introp wrote: »
    I'm moving out into the country where the biggest pipe I can buy is 3 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up. :(

But you can raise all your own food!

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    There's county-level backbone fiber (multi-Gbps) literally running right down the county road the property is on. It's just that the nearest DSLAM on that fiber is wayyyy up the road.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    0703736624.png

How do I fix this? I also can't see facebook pictures.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is your DNS borked? You could always configure your network settings to use the Google one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    I got a new modem from my ISP so I guess that's it. I don't know how to configure my DNS.

edited July 2015
    Yeah, I'd try that first since it's pretty easy. Just open up your network adapter, go into the IPv4 settings, and change the DNS entries to 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

E:Whoops, just read your post

Go here: http://techluminati.com/how-to-guides/error-105-how-to-fix-error-105-in-google-chrome/

godmode on
    That sorted it thanks!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey, what Anti-virus is everyone using?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Malware Bytes for big scans. MSE for having running all the time. It does pretty well.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Is there some way to get MSE to update on its own in Windows 8.1? Since its integrated as part of windows firewall, it never auto downloads updates like MSE used to and I constantly get "windows update has updates available" messages

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've just got the built in windows 8.1 virus thing, and then have noscript on my Firefox, which I use to visit sites I have low confidence in not getting me riddled with viruses. Chrome is used for trusted sites.

It has been pretty effective for the past 5 years or so at never getting me a virus.

Cilla Black on
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    I use Trend Micro Internet Security. It catches a lot of the bad bugs on the tube sites.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
    I've been using avast. The free version is okay, but you need to turn off the advertisements and pop-up reminders if you just want to keep the free one.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Is there some way to get MSE to update on its own in Windows 8.1? Since its integrated as part of windows firewall, it never auto downloads updates like MSE used to and I constantly get "windows update has updates available" messages

Settings => Control Panel => Windows Defender => Update tab => click the update button? (oh, no, that's windows defender, not MSE, but I was getting stuck windows updates for defender definitions as well so you never know, maybe MSE hides its UI somewhere like that?)

Actually, I still get the same stuck definition updates in windows update even after I've installed them manually so I dunno. Googling "windows update is not working right" is pretty terrifying and the last time I tried messing with dism/etc I actually had a real keyboard to type on and even then it still never quite got back to happy again.

djmitchella on
    I don't use anything, even though I can have free full ZoneAlarm through work. I assume I have nothing bad on here, but really, how would I know? Not all malware makes itself known, I may be part of a dormant (or even active!) botnet.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I don't use anything, even though I can have free full ZoneAlarm through work. I assume I have nothing bad on here, but really, how would I know? Not all malware makes itself known, I may be part of a dormant (or even active!) botnet.

Ignorance is bliss.

InfoSec Taylor Swift would be so disappointed...

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    woo

Either El Capitan, Parallels, or the latest Win 10 Tech Preview Build has totally fucked my Win 10 VM. Try to boot it, tries to install Parallel Tools (driver compatibility stuff) but if it finishes installing has a forced reboot at the end. Following the reboot, I get a "There's an unsigned file your system needs to be repaired" and Win 10 can't boot. Try to enable allowing unsigned stuff and it installs, but then when I log in I get snagged on an eternal black screen. Attempting to disable the install of the Parallels Tools means the drivers don't get installed, which means the screen size gets all fucked and networking drivers don't get installed properly.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pimento wrote: »

Ignorance is bliss.

InfoSec Taylor Swift would be so disappointed...

Right? It feels so naughty.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    ah good ol exile game play. I did the two starter dungeons and now I don't have enough gold to train.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Wonder if I should do a clean install of 7 before I upgrade to 10.

I'm also worried about doing 10 on Day 1 because I have the Intel RAID thing set up, and if the upgrade breaks that somehow I am going to be... unhappy.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    anyone used one of these newer logitech mice?

My razer is finally starting to die I think and newegg has the g502 for like 25% off.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I've got a g502. I like it a lot. For 25% off then I'd definitely get it.

Protip: the best option for configuring your buttons is the automatic game profile selection. It doesn't work well though until you make one for your browser. Since I did that it's worked great. Offers a lot more flexibility for configuration than just changing the buttons on their own.

I have had the Logitech G700 forrrrrrrr I think going on two years? I forget exactly when I bought it, but it's fantastic. Before this one, I had the MX Revolution, which still works to this day but I believe it's been discontinued. They are solid products.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If I suddenly cannot skip around or jump ahead when watching streaming videos, such as vaati dark souls stuff, what do I need to do to fix whatever so I can jump ahead?

I'm on an android tablet.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    2 more weeks and i can go back to having more than 2mbps download

and that's on a good day..

Oghulk on
This discussion has been closed.