As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    That review isn't... that bad. 7/10 eh? I naturally assume most MC clones to be lazy and shitty. I will have to give it a shot.

Also, I keep thinking the NX is some crazy 32X system that will dock into the Wii U somehow... I mean, at this point I believe it's just a new home console but the way they talk about it, it's like it is in addition to the Wii U and 3DS, which worries me.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The upgrade cost for the WiiU VC was worth it but the number of releases is pretty shameful

Is it? Wikipedia says there are 398 Wii VC games and 171 Wii U VC games.

Getting about half of the library is pretty good when studios had to explicitly re-up their VC games for the new console. In many cases it's not Nintendo's fault - Konami hasn't rereleased Hudson's back catalog on Wii U, which includes the whole TurboGrafx (59 games), and SNK didn't bother to rerelease their Neo Geo games (54 games). Sega hasn't either which means we're missing the whole Master System and Genesis, and some of the few arcade games as well, which is almost 100 games. In fact, the lack of those systems right there almost make up for the difference between Wii and Wii U. And for whatever reason, Square Enix hasn't returned either.

Nintendo are doing their best to make up for it with GBA and DS VC. There are actually a ton of GBA games available, I think a lot of people tend to not count those because they want them portable on 3DS and thus dismiss that part of the service.

but even the first party stuff is missing.
    look at the n64 lists - the wii has 19 nintendo published games, the wiiu has 2 of them

and I don't think they're doing their best with the portable stuff. 5 ds games, 2 of which are garbage?
    doing their best would've been even mentioning it during their e3 stuff, maybe with a "here's a list of 25 games, 1 coming a week through the end of the year"

Which 2 are garbage? Because if one of them is Yoshi's Touch & Go, we're gonna have to talk.

Yoshi's Island and NSMB

Touch and Go was just boring, not actively insulting to players

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    NSMB was awesome when it came out and is still awesome. I think it gets a bad rap because Nintendo went on to run the series into the ground, in many peoples' eyes. It has great level design and feels like the SMB1 of the series, a simpler time that was more about tricky block placement than gimmicks in each level (not that I'm against the level gimmicks either). No flying, just a focus on fireballs, and rad shell Mario.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If the NX gets announced as a handheld, or a box for some sort of PSNow-esque streaming service, or anything other than a direct Wii U successor, how angry do you think the internet will get?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The only thing I think Nintendo did wrong with NSMB is when they introduced multiplayer. When you have any group with mixed abilities it just ends up an un-fun, frustrating mess.

I loved Yoshi Touch & Go. I seem to remember it hitting at a time when there wasn't a lot else to play on the DS - like maybe for awhile my library was Feel the Magic and that :) Strangely, I just re-bought Rub Rabbits this weekend, on the hunt to re-buy FTM at some point.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Touch and go isnt a game. Its a tech demo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    If the NX gets announced as a handheld, or a box for some sort of PSNow-esque streaming service, or anything other than a direct Wii U successor, how angry do you think the internet will get?

Oof. People will try to strangle each other with wireless controllers.

• Options
    The only thing I think Nintendo did wrong with NSMB is when they introduced multiplayer. When you have any group with mixed abilities it just ends up an un-fun, frustrating mess.

I loved Yoshi Touch & Go. I seem to remember it hitting at a time when there wasn't a lot else to play on the DS - like maybe for awhile my library was Feel the Magic and that :) Strangely, I just re-bought Rub Rabbits this weekend, on the hunt to re-buy FTM at some point.

You should track down Sprung.

And Ping Pals.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My wife is the only person that I know that actually enjoyed Sprung. I've tried to convince her that means she would probably really like Hatoful Boyfriend on the PC (the pigeon dating game) but so far she hasn't tried it.

• Options
    My wife is the only person that I know that actually enjoyed Sprung. I've tried to convince her that means she would probably really like Hatoful Boyfriend on the PC (the pigeon dating game) but so far she hasn't tried it.

Sprung is really not so bad, I played some of it a long time ago. The premise sounds awful but in practice it's like a bland Monkey Island or something. I knew someone in college who genuinely liked it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I dunno, they said they're going to talk about NX next E3. That's at least one guaranteed year for Wii U (and you know it's not coming out AT E3, so it'll be longer than that, even). A year is a pretty long time to wait, and it's also a pretty long time to be able to enjoy a gaming device.

Turns out we already have NX's on our shelves. They've been shipping games with a coating of nano-machines on the disk, and they've been going to town upgrading the hardware slowly while the console isn't in use.

What do you think it's doing in the middle of the night when the light goes yellow?

All it's waiting for is a signal from home base, and it'll finish the transformation.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I dunno, they said they're going to talk about NX next E3. That's at least one guaranteed year for Wii U (and you know it's not coming out AT E3, so it'll be longer than that, even). A year is a pretty long time to wait, and it's also a pretty long time to be able to enjoy a gaming device.

Turns out we already have NX's on our shelves. They've been shipping games with a coating of nano-machines on the disk, and they've been going to town upgrading the hardware slowly while the console isn't in use.

What do you think it's doing in the middle of the night when the light goes yellow?

All it's waiting for is a signal from home base, and it'll finish the transformation.

Hah, so everyone going digital is screwed.

WOO PHYSICAL MEDIA!

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I figure in regards to VR Nintendo's just going to take a step back and see how the market actually responds to it first. If it responds positively, they can work on building a console that's actually designed with it in mind instead of having to kludge something together like everyone else is doing. If it doesn't... well, they won't be the one getting cut by being on the bleeding edge for once.

As someone who is probably as close to the average consumer as you can get on here VR is still too expensive and Clunky. Holo Lens looks interesting and I think ultimately that's what I would invest in but only a few years in after it's shrunk or if they can work it into perscription glasses

They'd also have to fix the FOV. In the videos it's fakery. In reality it's about the same size as an iPad held at arms length.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    For expensive, there's always stuff like Google Cardboard.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Oh shit, I still have my copies of Feel the Magic from the DS' launch and the later "The Rub Rabbits" sequel/prequel.

That was back when still actually made games and the Nintendo DS still felt a bit like black magic in the palm of your hands.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Touch and go isnt a game. Its a tech demo

Touch & Go was an addictive smartphone game before smart phones. I got a lot of mileage out of that game.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    We know NX is gonna be a console. The question is if that's all it will be.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    We know NX is gonna be a console.

We do?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    We know NX is gonna be a console.

We do?

When Nintendo Producer Kensuke Tanabe was asked if he'd make a Metroid Prime game for Wii U, he said Metroid Prime games take at least three years to make, so he would probably make it for NX instead of Wii U.

Not official conformation, but it's hard to read that statement as anything other than "the NX is a gaming console that will be able to run Wii U level games at the very least".

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm still crossing my fingers that the NX is a really nice handheld that has a way to connect to the TV and extra controllers. By combining their handheld and home console, they can focus all their attention on a single platform instead of splitting their focus across 2.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm still crossing my fingers that the NX is a really nice handheld that has a way to connect to the TV and extra controllers. By combining their handheld and home console, they can focus all their attention on a single platform instead of splitting their focus across 2.

IMO if they did that they'd be running the risk of the device being both but doing neither very well.... too small to be a powerful console and too clunky/power draining to be a good portable. They do have a problem with having to carry two platforms but I think the merger of their console and handheld development teams is part of their effort to consolidate their software efforts. I believe there will still be a console and still be a handheld but the operating system for both will be very similar. That way their teams are all operating on the same page and they can easily pull people from working on a handheld game to focus on a console game, and vice versa. You'll probably get some game that come out for both but for the most part they will have distinct libraries.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Well, I'm not asking for a portable PS4. It would fall right in line with their "weaker hardware + gimmick" tradition.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

If I'm not mistaken -- and they don't go SEGA Saturn crazy on us -- Nintendo's usual pattern is:

E3: Announce the system

Next E3: Show off the system with games coming at launch or in the near future

Holiday following: Launch

If that holds true and they properly announce it next year (saying "we're working on something called the NX" doesn't count; I mean at least a "You say you want a Revolution? Well... we've got one!" moment), then it wouldn't be out until winter 2017.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

If I'm not mistaken -- and they don't go SEGA Saturn crazy on us -- Nintendo's usual pattern is:

E3: Announce the system

Next E3: Show off the system with games coming at launch or in the near future

Holiday following: Launch

If that holds true and they properly announce it next year (saying "we're working on something called the NX" doesn't count; I mean at least a "You say you want a Revolution? Well... we've got one!" moment), then it wouldn't be out until winter 2017.

Might actually beat my WiiU library at that point...

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      Well, I'm not asking for a portable PS4. It would fall right in line with their "weaker hardware + gimmick" tradition.

They might still go down that route since it worked so well for Wii. But when the gimmick doesn't catch on, the system falls flat on its face like Wii U.

Who knows. You can't easily predict Nintendo.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      3DS already has enough battery life struggles, I can't imagine a Wii U power level portable working out in that respect.

• Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      3DS already has enough battery life struggles, I can't imagine a Wii U power level portable working out in that respect.

Indeed, and people are a lot less forgiving of battery troubles on handhelds than they are on phones. Phone lasts two hours playing high end phone games? Perfectly normal, you should just carry a couple power banks because you ought to know already. Console runs out in three and a half hours of high end portable games? Travesty.

So a console with the kind of battery a portable WiiU would require would come in with a definite handicap.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      I'm imagining a hard-core NX player carrying a bandolier of rechargeable batteries to swap in as their system starts flagging.

• Options
      eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      The battery life on the Wii U gamepad leaves a lot to be desired and that doesn't even run the game itself like a handheld system would need to. I have always thought a combination portable/HDMI out to TV type system would be cool but to get the graphics people would want on the TV portion it would need some serious hardware that even when running at a lower than 1080p resolution on the handheld screen would probably have horrible battery life. If they can fix that hurdle it would be amazing though.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo return to single-screen platforms and just making good games for them. Is no gimmicks for a generation too much to ask? Instead we will end up with Nintendo Smellovision or something, and I will buy it anyway.

(She/Her)
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      eelektrik wrote: »
      The battery life on the Wii U gamepad leaves a lot to be desired and that doesn't even run the game itself like a handheld system would need to.

Although a handheld system wouldn't need to stream 480p video at 30-60 FPS wirelessly either.

Wireless eats a ton of power, it's why it's important to switch it off on 3DS when it's not needed, and all it's doing most of the time is just seeing if something is range, not actively doing anything like the Wii U pad does.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      The battery life on the Wii U gamepad leaves a lot to be desired and that doesn't even run the game itself like a handheld system would need to. I have always thought a combination portable/HDMI out to TV type system would be cool but to get the graphics people would want on the TV portion it would need some serious hardware that even when running at a lower than 1080p resolution on the handheld screen would probably have horrible battery life. If they can fix that hurdle it would be amazing though.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo return to single-screen platforms and just making good games for them. Is no gimmicks for a generation too much to ask? Instead we will end up with Nintendo Smellovision or something, and I will buy it anyway.

I want a console that has a gimmick, but also has the right controller setup to play standard games.

If only, right?

• Options
      KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular

I think Nintendo knows that going head to head with the PS4 and XBox is suicide. The console would be just as expensive as XBox/Ps4 if not more so; and the 3rd parties will probably still treat it like dirt cause they have to compete with 1st party Nintendo games.

In short: I'm making the GameCube vs PS2 argument.

• Options
      KupiKupi Registered User regular
      With miniaturization marching on, and most actual video game logic being able to fit on comparatively small amounts of CPU and RAM when you've got competent experts working on the problem, I wouldn't be surprised if the NX comes in a pair of form-factors differing mostly by the weight of the graphics card, along with a dev-kit purpose-built to handle the scaling between the two. So developers just build to the NX architecture and the game runs, whether you bought the NX Travel or the NX Home. Now, whether the same disc works in both devices, or if they give you some kind of cross-buy (by way of their DeNA partnership), I've no idea.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Whoa we're into some heavy theory-crafting

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Nintendo's backed themselves into a corner on this. Smart devices are eating up the low end market, while AAA gaming eats up the hight end, leaving Nintendo in that ever-shrinking middle. They need gimmicks to say relevant.

And if Nintendo is going to take advantage of their back catalog, then it's important that every future Nintendo console include all the features from the previous ones. Meaning every Nintendo console from now on is going to have two screen functionality and motion controls.

• Options

They might still go down that route since it worked so well for Wii. But when the gimmick doesn't catch on, the system falls flat on its face like Wii U.

Sure you can.

Doom!

• Options
        PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
        edited June 2015
        Nintendo's backed themselves into a corner on this. Smart devices are eating up the low end market, while AAA gaming eats up the hight end, leaving Nintendo in that ever-shrinking middle. They need gimmicks to say relevant.

This is a bad analysis.

Handheld games are not the (exact) same market as consoles. Low end games for handhelds are shifting to phones/tablets/etc. But the only competition for portable AAA games is the Vita, which has done poorly (despite being an overall excellent device, but...), and Nintendo basically owns that entire market.

For consoles, Nintendo has a huge stable of IPs with rabid fanbases and can offer things like VC to tap nostalgia. These are outside the whole system power issue and are the biggest reason to get a Nintendo console (and really, have been for over a decade at this point imo).

Polaritie on
        Steam: Polaritie
        3DS: 0473-8507-2652
        Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
        PSN: AbEntropy
      • Options
        Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

When the gimmick doesn't take off and gets in the way, is the key. Wii U could be $100 cheaper or more by now without the gamepad and everything else equal, and would have at least 50% higher sales right now. The message here isn't so much that gimmicks are risky but that you don't want your gimmick to be a financial albatross. This is the "withered technology" line of the old Gunpei Yokoi adage. It doesn't mean a weak console but it doesn't mean a console with a lot of crazy bells and whistles, it just means that the tech in it has to be economical and non-burdensome. 3D and the gamepad are burdensome, despite being cheapo 3D and cheap-ish gamepad (single touch resistive touchscreen), so neither of them taking off that well kind of screwed Nintendo.

• Options
        DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
        I don't think selling the console without the gamepad is the magic bullet that fixes the WiiU, commercially.

Pricing it lower would probably help, but even at firesale prices I don't see it moving millions of units overnight. The ship has sailed.

• Options
        The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
        I think it says something that, for me personally anyways, most of the time their "gimmick" stops becoming a gimmick and becomes almost natural. The second screen of the DS, which even at the worst of times can be simply a map, or additional space to reduce clutter. The gamepad is the exact same way. Splatoon now shows that you can make that kind of motion control almost invisible. But even then Ocarina of Time 3DS showed that early with its aiming (I'm in the middle of finally playing Majora's Mask, and I aced every shooting challenge thanks to motion controls). The wii remote... is kind of in a grey area. For every example of how good it worked is an equal example of "waggle"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."