As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Playstation] thread will grant you three wishes

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    It was still dumb to all get killed by one person after taking down an intergalactic world devouring god-creature

and then a couple of hours later your mid-game party stomps that person into the dirt

miguel does not kill them all

that is not what occurs

I was actually talking about Lynx, but the wiki isn't definitive that anyone but
    Lucca are dead at all

you see lucca die in a flashback as a result of lynx, and you see the ghost of a few more party members, also FATE deletes robo from her memory banks to piss you off

but none of the deaths other than luccas are at all defined or shown

The kingdom that Chrono and Marle were king and queen of was conquered by the hyper militaristic Pore Empire.

They are dead as dog shit.

I mean, they are ghosts

I know this

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    4DQp4Ko.jpg
    These are some much more approachable movelists

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd get rid of the dragon punch motion entirely

but that does look very nice

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    What I hate about the dragon punch motion, is that the picture did relate to the inputs at all. I had to look them up.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I usualy cheat it on a pad by doing two quarter circles forward

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What's wrong with shoryuken?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The dragon punch picture is 1:1 with the motion though?

Also I assume they kept the input shortcuts that were present in SF4 so doing DPs should be super easy.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

the notation is nonsensical and its a difficult motion for new players, ESPECIALLY if you don't have anyone there to physically show you how it should be done
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Also I assume they kept the input shortcuts that were present in SF4 so doing DPs should be super easy.

its definitely not

you cant go from bottom center right, you have to go to neutral right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

When I follow the picture I think "forward, down back, forward" because the last input is parallel with the first input. I mean, I have been playing for years now so it's nbd, but that was my experience early on.

Guile's ultras were just hell.

• Options

the notation is nonsensical and its a difficult motion for new players, ESPECIALLY if you don't have anyone there to physically show you how it should be done

its definitely not

you cant go from bottom center right, you have to go to neutral right

?

You can go from bottom center right.

I don't get what you are trying to say.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Which always kills me playing, even with a stick sometimes.

So many times in SF4 I needed Cammy's Ultra, and instead, "Cannon Spike!" Into her death.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    as someone unfamiliar with fighting games, that picture for the motion is not intuitive at all

after looking up what it actually is I can see what it's going for, but it's definitely a poor way of depicting the motion for those that don't already know what it is

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

Which always kills me playing, even with a stick sometimes.

So many times in SF4 I needed Cammy's Ultra, and instead, "Cannon Spike!" Into her death.

My favorite is when I've somehow built up super and instead of a dragon punch I waste all my resources on a miss

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    One thing that is really nice about these new inputs, which may not be immediately apparent, is that Birdie is a grappler.

A grappler with no 360s or 720s

• Options
    as someone unfamiliar with fighting games, that picture for the motion is not intuitive at all

after looking up what it actually is I can see what it's going for, but it's definitely a poor way of depicting the motion for those that don't already know what it is

I mean, the picture shows the stick going from forward, to down, to down forward, in the exact motion you need to move the stick in order to execute the move (if you are not using shortcuts).

How would you like them to represent it graphically instead?

• Options

I mean, the picture shows the stick going from forward, to down, to down forward, in the exact motion you need to move the stick in order to execute the move (if you are not using shortcuts).

at least two circles but really 3

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

But there are no circles involved in doing a DP?

I'm just genuinely confused at this point.

• Options
    edited July 2015

the little red circle with the arrow on it

three of those

one with an arrow going forward, one going down, one going down-forward

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    To me that picture looks like forward, down back, down, down forward

OR

forward, down back, forward

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    the shoryuken and hadoken motions are so ingrained into what street fighter is that I don't think I would ever want them to go away

720s and one frame links and all that ridiculous execution bullshit yes, please set us free from it. But a dragon punch feels good to do imo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

three of those

one with an arrow going forward, one going down, one going down and forward

Oh, like three separate images? But that would imply, to me at least, that you need to let the stick reset or pass through neutral between each step which you don't need to do.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

three of those

one with an arrow going forward, one going down, one going down-forward

Wouldn't that just give the impression that you were required to return to neutral between down and down-forward?

Maybe two red circles, one forward and one down and rolling to down-forward, like half a fireball.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

three of those

Oh, like three separate images? But that would imply, to me at least, that you need to let the stick reset or pass through neutral between each step which you don't need to do.

Yeah sure, well the game can tell you that too

fighting games just need a training mode that tell you shit, dragon punch motion is fine really but the game just needs to tell you exactly what it means

also charging

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    the only thing I'll miss about 720s is churning butter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

three of those

Yeah sure, well the game can tell you that too

fighting games just need a training mode that tell you shit, dragon punch motion is fine really but the game just needs to tell you exactly what it means

also charging

Yeah a good tutorial is 100% essential.

I'm just also genuinely wondering at this point what the best way graphically would be to represent a DP to someone who has never seen one before. Everything I can think of hits some kind of snag. But a good tutorial explaining what the motion is obviously is the best route.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the shoryuken motion is so ingrained in my thumb i really don't even actually know how i do it

as far as i know my thumb just kind of fumbles for a second and then a dragon punch comes out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    the only thing I'll miss about 720s is churning butter

play Chadha for that sweet sweet 1080

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    growing up "playing fighting games" for me was renting fighting games and going into training mode and doing everyone's specials and supers to find the coolest ones and scrubbing through arcade mode

so i can't really ever remember a time when i couldn't consistently do fireball and dp motions

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm just also genuinely wondering at this point what the best way graphically would be to represent a DP to someone who has never seen one before. Everything I can think of hits some kind of snag. But a good tutorial explaining what the motion is obviously is the best route.

I think they just need to to have the last motion not be a straight line to the right but a curve, to show that down-forward is slightly higher than down. Because that would also show that the second motion isn't down-back.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »

I think they just need to to have the last motion not be a straight line to the right but a curve, to show that down-forward is slightly higher than down. Because that would also show that the second motion isn't down-back.

I think part of the trick is that down-forward isn't slightly higher than down, but level with down, on the controller they are writing the inputs for originally, an arcade stick which has a square gate.

But they could do a re-write of the images for the console release. But then if someone plays on the console with a stick... well if they own a stick they probably know how to do a DP motion on it.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i still find dps hard to do. my fingers don't work that way :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    well i play fighting games with the d-pad and you can just rub your thumb from forward to down to downforward super easily

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i still find dps hard to do. my fingers don't work that way :/

Assuming the shortcuts in SF4 still exist in SF5, you can execute a DP by double tapping down-forward twice is rapid succession, it's a very fast, very reliable way to get a DP out.

Also, if you want to make sure you do a DP without standing up (cause you are using it as an anti-air most likely) in SF4 you can do a DP by going down, down-foward, down, down-forward, basically never moving the stick up above down, just riding that gate.

Of course if you are playing anything else that doesn't have those shortcuts for DPs well, this post is no help.

• Options
    yeah the way I learned to do dps back in SF2 on SNES was just mashing the dpad in two quarter circles, front to down then back to front

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm going to forever complain about no 720's

how am I supposed to do big dick standing or dashing 720's????

I think the solution is blazblue, please release it in NA : (

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Blazblue is out in NA though?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    All in game commands should be represented by an animated joystick actually performing the motion.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I guess technically a proper release for the latest version? My (probably misunderstanding as I stopped following it after CS) was that the current arcade patch hasn't been released yet

I guess it doesn't actually matter but I've got Xrd and Potemkin who is only a little less cool then Tager

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What is this gibberish you're all spouting

This discussion has been closed.