As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Playstation] thread will grant you three wishes

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I still don't really understand what you do in galak-z but it looks neat

I hope it doesn't lean too heavily on the anime sutff

Considering it is directly inspired by Saturday morning anime

I have bad news for you

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

It is a 2d spaceship roguelike. You go into a randomly generated level, it gives you a goal like "explore and find a thing" or whatever, you do it

It is also like far cry with factions and environmental stuff to use

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You fly around procedurally generated stages shooting other ships and aliens and collecting junk.

It's pretty fun.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Considering it is directly inspired by Saturday morning anime

I have bad news for you

I mean but does that affect how you actually play it or anything

it doesn't really look especially anime other than spaceship+robot

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    And there's some spacey physics so your ship will continue moving in the direction it's going so you can boost in one direction and then turn around and shoot at things behind you, and use side thrusters to sort of "strafe"

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I have no idea what you mean by that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    This seems like a pretty good intro to Galak-Z.

Kollar likens the parry feature to Dark Souls, as if From Software invented the concept of blocking. But other than that, it's a decent video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tz29aXxiMw

• Options
    I guess I'm just worried theres going to be a bunch of dialogue harping really hard on anime jokes or something

I'm not really sure why, just the way people have been talking about it as an 'anime homage'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Kollar likens the parry feature to Dark Souls, as if From Software invented the concept of blocking. But other than that, it's a decent video.

There are a lot of games with block buttons before Dark Souls that don't make you use it.

Kind of like racing games and brake buttons.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I guess I'm just worried theres going to be a bunch of dialogue harping really hard on anime jokes or something

I'm not really sure why, just the way people have been talking about it as an 'anime homage'

I guess that could be in there

But I think it is mainly an aesthetic thing. The designs, character portrait, the explosions. It's all very reminiscent of those sorts of shows. The closest "gameplay" thing I can think of is levels being split into episodes and seasons

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

tumblr_mo5g9bIZzT1qznx1fo2_r1_1280.png

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

But I think it is mainly an aesthetic thing. The designs, character portrait, the explosions. It's all very reminiscent of those sorts of shows. The closest "gameplay" thing I can think of is levels being split into episodes and seasons

Yeah then that sounds totally cool

I'll probably pick it up

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

There are a lot of games with block buttons before Dark Souls that don't make you use it.

Also, Dark Souls parrying is a lot more than just "blocking"

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I forgot how slick the dodge looks in Galak-Z.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »

Also, Dark Souls parrying is a lot more than just "blocking"

I'm just tired of seeing stuff compared to Dark Souls.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    If the shoe fits

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If the shoe fits

dark soles

• Options

I'll probably pick it up

Oh I guess turning into a dope ass mech counts as a "gameplay thing" too doesn't it

the best part of any anime

• Options

I'll probably pick it up

Oh I guess turning into a dope ass mech counts as a "gameplay thing" too doesn't it

the best part of any anime

It's got a lot of other nods to anime stuff in the gameplay.

I mean, it's basically a love letter / homage to the things a lot of us watched on Saturday mornings as kids, things that were brought over from Japan and re done for America like Thundercats, Robotech, Voltron, Power Rangers, etc.

It's essentially pretending to be like, a lost and rediscovered show from that time period, which I think is awesome.

So of course its got nods to that kinda stuff in the gameplay, things like the itano circus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

• Options
    POWER RANGERS IS NOT ANIME

• Options

No duh it's live action?

But it was 100% part of that movement of bringing stuff over from Japan and then editing it, voicing over it, or modifying it whatever way to make it into something new and different in America that was big when you and I were kids.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Power Rangers is the most anime live action thing that isn't literally a live action adaptation of an anime

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Power Rangers is the most anime live action thing that isn't literally a live action adaptation of an anime

don't make me power sword you

• Options
    dont be animecist

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Power Rangers is absofuckinglutely anime

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options

I think you mean don't make me ポワー サワード you!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

Look I'm sorry you like an incredibly anime thing but you must have known before now

Search your heart

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm watching the Quick Look of Deception 4

I did not know these games were this silly

I thought they'd be way more BRUTAL and EDGY

I greatly prefer it this way

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Look I'm sorry you like an incredibly anime thing but you must have known before now

Search your heart

There's nothing anime about the power of teamwork and friendship overcoming all obastacles

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Search your heart

There's nothing anime about the power of teamwork and friendship overcoming all obastacles

chiasaur11 on
  • Options

Search your heart

Oh are we talking about Gurren Lagann?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    anime is blood

therefore, bloodborne is the most anime

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    anime is blood

therefore, bloodborne is the most anime

The math checks out.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Search your heart

And then Goku shows up to talk about friendship and teamwork and the overcoming all obstacles.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Search your heart

And then Goku shows up to talk about friendship and teamwork and the overcoming all obstacles.

Which are all values he's instilled in his son by being literally the worst father ever.

No I don't.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The Electronic Sports League (ESL) is going to start drug testing its participants.

Esports is getting a drug scandal, just like real sports! They grow up so fast *sniff*.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The first Deception was pretty dark

2 and 3 were still a bit dark but also had some light comedy thrown in

4 went full anime

Deception is a fantastic series

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The first Deception was pretty dark

2 and 3 were still a bit dark but also had some light comedy thrown in

4 went full anime

Deception is a fantastic series

Yeah, the first one had you resurrecting SATAN. Like, that was just your job. It had a warning on the front for all the devil content within.

The stuff they show in the Quick Look is definitely the sillier side stuff, but it's pretty broad. You're killing the shit out of people in sadistic ways, but in a very Mouse Trap, Rube Goldbergian way that kinda removes a lot of the sting.

But, the best part is that all the people that you murder have backstories so you will wind up smashing an axe into a dude who will fly through the air, get hit my giant sharp pipes from a pipe organ falling on him, he'll then step on a rake and then have the stairs will flatten under him, he'll tumble down and then a giant flaming boulder will roll down, killing him...and then you find out that he was just there at this crazy mansion outside of town to find medicine for his dying father.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    The Electronic Sports League (ESL) is going to start drug testing its participants.

Esports is getting a drug scandal, just like real sports! They grow up so fast *sniff*.

To be fair i think people do use all sorts of uppers so probably for the best if there is some kind of oversight.

This discussion has been closed.