As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghosts of Electric [chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And the VP of Sales got shitcanned some time between me leaving Friday and last night. It's a few days early for a birthday gift but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Was there a kerfuffle of epic magnitude?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    don't fresh graduate doctors often get like, six figures in debt though, and have to buy malpractice insurance

We're talking Swedistani doctors here. They'll still have student loan debts, but waaay less than Yanqistani doctors. And malpractice insurance is probably covered by the employer here.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hrm. What hero to level? Who am I kidding. There is only Doom!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And the VP of Sales got shitcanned some time between me leaving Friday and last night. It's a few days early for a birthday gift but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Was there a kerfuffle of epic magnitude?

I assume some shit came to a head. I'll find out next week. I'm on vacation this week.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    the main thing was - why the fuck did they expect me to cheer for red-haired I-can-sprint-through-a-fucking-jungle-in-heels woman and boo the touchy asshole iNGen guy?
    only one of those people were responsible for running the park AND refusing to evacuate and it wasn't mr steals-your-cola!

Like, what the shit?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hrm. What hero to level? Who am I kidding. There is only Doom!

pPEPU6YIH5AHG.jpg

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Our own glorious government is looking to kick out any non-EU migrant who isn't earning at least £35,000 after being here for six years. That's about ten to fifteen grand over the national mean, and will mean a bunch of nurses (which the NHS relies on to function) will have to go.

Good job, Tory government. You're amazing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my student loan debt is now closer to 6 figures than 4 figures

*eye twitch*

• Options
    "Benjamin, you blundering atavism. Brute strength can never triumph over supremely harnessed science."

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

*eye twitch*

The way University works in Freedomland never fails to astonish me.

• Options
    sometimes I think about my student loan debt and it legitimately makes me suicidal

I would be happier filing bankruptcy and stocking vegetable as the store for the rest of my life than I am when I think about it

I don't even have that option, the government will take 25% of my $7.25 an hour wage

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I may have mentioned it before but at this dialysis center most of the nurses sit on their brains making bank while the minimum wage technicians do all the work.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

*eye twitch*

:huh:

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

*eye twitch*

The way University works in Freedomland never fails to astonish me.

At least one presidential candidate has an idea of how to fix it: bring back indentured servitude!

• Options
    I just invented the term "free as in student loan".

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the main thing was - why the fuck did they expect me to cheer for red-haired I-can-sprint-through-a-fucking-jungle-in-heels woman and boo the touchy asshole iNGen guy?
    only one of those people were responsible for running the park AND refusing to evacuate and it wasn't mr steals-your-cola!

Like, what the shit?

she's really hot and worried about the wrong things and then sees her error (too late, clearly) so I cheer, sort of

if there's anything I didn't like it was
    The PA who loses the boys in a perfectly safe (at the time) theme park gets a death like 10x worse than Dennis Nedry in the first one. I don't know if we were supposed to dislike her enough that it'd be okay to single her out for a fucked up death or not, but it didn't sit well with me at all. I mean it isn't a huge deal but it felt out of place as hell.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Our own glorious government is looking to kick out any non-EU migrant who isn't earning at least £35,000 after being here for six years. That's about ten to fifteen grand over the national mean, and will mean a bunch of nurses (which the NHS relies on to function) will have to go.

Good job, Tory government. You're amazing.

sounds like an excellent reasons to demand that the NHS pay their nurses more. truly the Tories are the new worker's party.

... what, you mean you don't have the budget? Clearly you're mismanaging your budget. PRIVATIZE

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    as I understand it if I flee the US my loans will follow me as conventional civil debt and not subject to the immense legal power that student loan debt has in the US

so maybe I should move to Britain and become a chimney sweep

override367 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Nah, brov, that key is like DRM. The real criminals can make it start no problems. Believe.

If a thief can steal my car I will shake them by the hand, admit they are the better man and then cash in the insurance, whistling a jaunty tune as I do so.

My buddy was driving me home from school one day. We walked out to the parking lot where his car was. The inside was a mess. Everything had been gone through. He's like "OMG, someone broke into my car."

We search through the mess, clean it all up, put it all back. I ask "What did they steal?"

Him: ".... nothing"

Honestly, he felt a bit insulted.

shryke on
  • Options
    don't fresh graduate doctors often get like, six figures in debt though, and have to buy malpractice insurance

but yeah, never whine someone has more than you, try to get more yourself (unless the only way to get more for yourself is to actually redistribute because someone has so much more than you that they are taking it all, like America's 1% who own like half of everything)

Their debt is the same debt as anyone who studies anything. IE, the cost of living without working
    Zampanov wrote: »

Like, what the shit?

she's really hot and worried about the wrong things and then sees her error (too late, clearly) so I cheer, sort of

The PA who loses the boys in a perfectly safe (at the time) theme park gets a death like 10x worse than Dennis Nedry in the first one. I don't know if we were supposed to dislike her enough that it'd be okay to single her out for a fucked up death or not, but it didn't sit well with me at all. I mean it isn't a huge deal but it felt out of place as hell.

Yeah I was like oookay that's enough of that now please.

Actually like, all the deaths felt so weird because it was like... wait, but the writing is children's movie bad and then a dude gets eaten while screaming

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Meanwhile I've had people see the inside of my car and go "oh man, someone broke in to your car!"

And I reply "...uh yeah that must be why it's so messy. Someone broke in."

• Options
    I really want to work full time for this last year of college but I just lost out on an amzing job because, and they wrote me a nice personalized e-mail

they thought that if I was unable to reconcile my schedule I would abandon the job, rather than a degree I've completed 85% of, which is probably correct

and yet I keep hearing I should be able to work my way through school, yet school is a massive albatross at finding a job that pays more than minimum wage

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

but yeah, never whine someone has more than you, try to get more yourself (unless the only way to get more for yourself is to actually redistribute because someone has so much more than you that they are taking it all, like America's 1% who own like half of everything)

Their debt is the same debt as anyone who studies anything. IE, the cost of living without working
    Zampanov wrote: »

Like, what the shit?

Yeah I was like oookay that's enough of that now please.

Actually like, all the deaths felt so weird because it was like... wait, but the writing is children's movie bad and then a dude gets eaten while screaming

well the first one is like that too but it's mostly just some extras get eaten to make sure the stakes feel real, and then maybe a named character bites it in case you started to feel okay about people with names, and any douchebags eat it pretty bad so our idea of karmic justice is reinforced

but that one just felt like it was either excessive in general, or 'justice' that was in no way proportional to any perceived crime

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    I also wondered why
    superdino could somehow talk to the raptors, having been raised in isolation. This would not be a plot hole I cared about if it wasn't for the fact that the movie has a scene dedicated to nothing but saying just that

and then just ignoring it.

But anyway that's a trifle. But it was a seriously deplorable movie. I can't remember worse writing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I also wondered why
    superdino could somehow talk to the raptors, having been raised in isolation. This would not be a plot hole I cared about if it wasn't for the fact that the movie has a scene dedicated to nothing but saying just that

and then just ignoring it.

But anyway that's a trifle. But it was a seriously deplorable movie. I can't remember worse writing.

I didn't think it was that terrible, it was mostly a fun spectacle for me

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    my mom has offered to pay off the entirety of my unsubsidized student loan debt with her retirement and I could pay her what I would pay in loan payments instead

and I think I will take her up that if I ever find a job that pays more than $14 an hour

• Options
    Oh hey Java has a binary null-coalescing operator.

That's a bit of a mouthful, so people just call it the Elvis operator due to how it looks like a weird smiley: ?:

• Options
    I also don't have a very long memory, mind you.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Or rather, Java does something sensible and lets you use the ternary "x : y ? z" operator without the middle argument, making it a binary operator instead.

Seems PHP also has that as of 5.3, and will get a proper null-coalescing operator in PHP 7.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    All you people with debt should do the sensible thing and start a revolution to crush the man.

• Options
    Which makes me happy, because using a full ternary to check undefined values sucks balls in PHP:
    $name = $name : $name ? "Bob"

Which reads as If $name is not null, then $name equals $name, otherwise $name equals "Bob".

Compare that to a condensed coalesce:
    $name = $name ?: "Bob"

In PHP 7 it will have a true null-coalescing operator, meaning it will pick the first value that's not null:
    $stuff = $value1 ?? $value2 ?? $value3 ?? "Set the damn value to something you idiot"

• Options
    This has been "Echo does random musings on programming".

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    This has been "Echo does random musings on programming".

Revolutions can be very expensive and they have poor credit.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    @kedinik @simonwolf and other EU4 players

I've sunk ~30 hours into EU4 (with all major DLC) in the past two weeks, and I've come to really enjoy it! It's a much more subtle and restrained game than CK2 which is refreshing, and there are lots of different ways to play the game. I've finally gotten the trade system down (still kind of figuring out the right naval and merc management methods; I think I was way too conservative with my money), so next I'm going to play in the HRE and see if I can centralize that shit and blob out.

Common Sense has given Scandinavia and Commonwealth Poland godlike powers so I've been avoiding dealing with Eastern Europe completely, but the hordes seem quite interesting

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Other operator names, because programmers have a shitty sense of humor:
    Rocket operator =>
    Spaceship operator <=>

Because it looks like a TIE Interceptor.

• Options
    Which makes me happy, because using a full ternary to check undefined values sucks balls in PHP:
    $name = $name : $name ? "Bob"

Which reads as If $name is not null, then $name equals $name, otherwise $name equals "Bob".

Compare that to a condensed coalesce:
    $name = $name ?: "Bob"

In PHP 7 it will have a true null-coalescing operator, meaning it will pick the first value that's not null:
    $stuff = $value1 ?? $value2 ?? $value3 ?? "Set the damn value to something you idiot"

This second example you provide is also known as 'short-circuit'ing.

basically, omg there is so much crazy code we write on a daily basis that takes advantage of this with so many functions that produce side effects and please just shooot me now.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Other operator names, because programmers have a shitty sense of humor:
    Rocket operator =>
    Spaceship operator <=>

Because it looks like a TIE Interceptor.

That's stupid and the people who invented it are stupid.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    @kedinik @simonwolf and other EU4 players

I've sunk ~30 hours into EU4 (with all major DLC) in the past two weeks, and I've come to really enjoy it! It's a much more subtle and restrained game than CK2 which is refreshing, and there are lots of different ways to play the game. I've finally gotten the trade system down, so next I'm going to play in the HRE and see if I can centralize that shit and blob out

And here I was about ready to put you on retainer.

• Options
    In Ruby it's called a hash rocket because it's used to map values in a hash.
    h = [
      key => value
    ]

In Ruby 2.0 they added a new syntax that upset a whole lot of people:
    h = [
      key: value
    ]

This looks a whole lot more readable, but in this case the key is explicitly a symbol, and symbols in Ruby are defined by a colon before the symbol name, like :some_symbol. And now it's a symbol with a colon at the end instead.

It confused me a bit until I got used to it.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello [chat].
    Also: Balalalalalalala.

This discussion has been closed.