As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Tormund needs to join the WWE. Classic run in and stare down. Awesome stuff.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    People keep saying they shouldn't have "shown" S5,E2 spoiler
    the dogs eating Walda and the baby. Well... they didn't. Not even a little. They had meaningful sound effects, but unlike the Sansa scene where he started tearing her clothes off on screen, it was ALL sound and obvious meaning. Saying that NOTHING was too gratuitous strikes me as... odd.
    It's just like, overflow on my general feelings of most things about Ramsay being unnecessary, gratuitous, and boring. Sure they didn't show them dying. But they spent too much time on the scene, come on we know what's going to happen we can imagine them getting eaten lets move on to more interesting plots and characters please.
    its funny, cause i actually thought they showed quite a bit of restraint in that scene, at least in regards to how quickly they cut out Walda's screaming. they could have dragged that on for even a few seconds more, making it all the more horrific.

could it have been done quicker? sure, but that wouldn't really be in keeping with the style of the show. the pace is a bit slower at times, and the more brutal aspects are lingered upon.

yeah, when it's women gettin hurt, mostly. I'm just tired of it. get back to the exciting shit.

Definitely. Move on from that and fire up some more of that montage of
    Arya getting her shit ruined repeatedly by that chick and her staff.

Wait...
    I kid, I kid, wait, no, not the face, not like Arya!
    Seriously they really beat the shit out of her recently. And yes, I'm aware that has been her lot in life since season 1.

A minor note re: show Arya
    Those staff beating montages always ruin my suspension of disbelief. Getting hit over and over with that apparent force seems like it would be doing real damage: broken jaw, spitting out teeth, busted lip, etc. etc. But she never needs any medical attention or anything, she just has some more artful bruises.

Standard TV magic, but still annoys me

not just tv magic
    she's being beaten by practitioners of actual magic as part of magical assassin training so maybe that has something to do with it

So basically a wizzard did it, then.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    the dogs eating Walda and the baby. Well... they didn't. Not even a little. They had meaningful sound effects, but unlike the Sansa scene where he started tearing her clothes off on screen, it was ALL sound and obvious meaning. Saying that NOTHING was too gratuitous strikes me as... odd.
    It's just like, overflow on my general feelings of most things about Ramsay being unnecessary, gratuitous, and boring. Sure they didn't show them dying. But they spent too much time on the scene, come on we know what's going to happen we can imagine them getting eaten lets move on to more interesting plots and characters please.
    its funny, cause i actually thought they showed quite a bit of restraint in that scene, at least in regards to how quickly they cut out Walda's screaming. they could have dragged that on for even a few seconds more, making it all the more horrific.

could it have been done quicker? sure, but that wouldn't really be in keeping with the style of the show. the pace is a bit slower at times, and the more brutal aspects are lingered upon.

yeah, when it's women gettin hurt, mostly. I'm just tired of it. get back to the exciting shit.

Wait...
    Seriously they really beat the shit out of her recently. And yes, I'm aware that has been her lot in life since season 1.

Those staff beating montages always ruin my suspension of disbelief. Getting hit over and over with that apparent force seems like it would be doing real damage: broken jaw, spitting out teeth, busted lip, etc. etc. But she never needs any medical attention or anything, she just has some more artful bruises.

not just tv magic
    she's being beaten by practitioners of actual magic as part of magical assassin training so maybe that has something to do with it

Yeah I was wondering
    Between the removing of faces, Arya taking off Jaqens face to reveal her own, poison that he drank that made her blind...

I can give the show the benefit of the doubt that the staff probably wasn't ash wood.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Wait...

not just tv magic

Yeah I was wondering
    Between the removing of faces, Arya taking off Jaqens face to reveal her own, poison that he drank that made her blind...

I can give the show the benefit of the doubt that the staff probably wasn't ash wood.

Show
    I just attribute it to being these are trained assassins that would know how to hit someone and avoid completely fucking them up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If bad things don't start happening to Ramsay now I swear to Christ

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure they will.

Roose makes a big speech about not doing crazy stuff otherwise you'll never unite the north,so what does Ramsay do??

I'm certain they're setting him up to fail...

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm probably going to be pretty pissed if GoT just ends up being a tragedy. Like I love the show for grounding fantasy in "realistic outcomes that defy genre expectations" but come the fuck on, We have to win one for real or I'm going to be disappointed with this.

And my disappointment is a terrible thing to behold.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular

This thread's obsession with the idea that Ramsey will never get his is strange to me. One by one all are being brought low. I remember the angst as to if the Lannisters would ever get theirs after the Red Wedding, and slowly but surely they did. The head of their house murdered, their king assassinated, the legitimacy of their rule shattered, etc. etc.

The same is true for Ramsey and the Boltons. Their victory over Stannis is their "red wedding". Things are already frayed at the edges, I expect to see the entire thing unravel by the end of the season.

The show is rather brilliant that way. It sets up its villains as untouchables, evil men that ruin good ones and get away with it.... Up until theyre ignominiously killed while taking a shit or what have you.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ramsay spoilers up to the current episode
    Yeah but as many people have pointed out he's basically got plot armor until he meets Jon Snow in some climactic showdown of bastards who been made legitimate. In the books it is possible to not see it going that direction because Ramsay is a) sparingly used and b) not obviously contrasted with Jon Snow like he is in the show.

In the show, he is hyped up as a major antagonist, and is totally a Villain Sue. That said, Jon Snow has flaws, he has hardships, he makes mistakes, he breaks his oaths, he experiences loss (example: Ygritte). The show tried, in possibly the most hamfisted, half-hearted, lamebrained way, to give Ramsay a "loss" too with the death of Myranda on the catwalks. And true to form, instead of mourning her as Jon Snow would, he has her fed to the damn dogs.

I know I'm gonna get shit on for this but the reason the books work for me is because they are subtle. Characters can manipulate things behind the scenes, there are internal monologues detailing characterization and reasoning, and events can occur, with foreshadowing through rumors or other means, without a POV character nearby to see it, with us only learning about the truth about it later (and thus putting the pieces together at a critical juncture rather than several seasons ahead of time).

We've all watched a shitload of movies and TV and even though tropes themselves are not bad, it is turning this show into a predictable mess to me because I can recognize how characters are being positioned. If you show me where Ramsay is now and you clearly telegraph where he will be at the end of the story, I can make a pretty good guess what will occur to him along the way. I might slip on some minor details, but the skeleton for how the rest of this show will go is being laid bare for anybody who is paying attention.

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Roose makes a big speech about not doing crazy stuff otherwise you'll never unite the north,so what does Ramsay do??

It has to happen this season. The character has run it's course, there's really nothing more to be done with him and his repetitive characterization has felt like beating a dead horse for a while now.

• Options
    Uhtred wrote: »

It has to happen this season. The character has run it's course, there's really nothing more to be done with him and his repetitive characterization has felt like beating a dead horse for a while now.

They're not beating the dead horse so much as flaying it and cutting off various body parts

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

To be fair, I think Ramsey would be into that.

Edit: @joshofalltrades made a similar joke, only better, at the same time. Darn.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Complaints about predictability are inevitable when a series goes this long, be it show or book. If you couldn't figure out where most of it was going, they wouldn't be doing their job.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ramsay spoilers up to the current episode
    Yeah but as many people have pointed out he's basically got plot armor until he meets Jon Snow in some climactic showdown of bastards who been made legitimate. In the books it is possible to not see it going that direction because Ramsay is a) sparingly used and b) not obviously contrasted with Jon Snow like he is in the show.

In the show, he is hyped up as a major antagonist, and is totally a Villain Sue. That said, Jon Snow has flaws, he has hardships, he makes mistakes, he breaks his oaths, he experiences loss (example: Ygritte). The show tried, in possibly the most hamfisted, half-hearted, lamebrained way, to give Ramsay a "loss" too with the death of Myranda on the catwalks. And true to form, instead of mourning her as Jon Snow would, he has her fed to the damn dogs.

I know I'm gonna get shit on for this but the reason the books work for me is because they are subtle. Characters can manipulate things behind the scenes, there are internal monologues detailing characterization and reasoning, and events can occur, with foreshadowing through rumors or other means, without a POV character nearby to see it, with us only learning about the truth about it later (and thus putting the pieces together at a critical juncture rather than several seasons ahead of time).

We've all watched a shitload of movies and TV and even though tropes themselves are not bad, it is turning this show into a predictable mess to me because I can recognize how characters are being positioned. If you show me where Ramsay is now and you clearly telegraph where he will be at the end of the story, I can make a pretty good guess what will occur to him along the way. I might slip on some minor details, but the skeleton for how the rest of this show will go is being laid bare for anybody who is paying attention.

I just don't see this being thematically in line with the show or the books, but maybe that's because I'm rooting for
    Manderly and the north to "remember" and fix this shit themselves, putting Sansa in winterfell

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Latest episode spoiler:
    Latest episode spoiler
    dzJch9t.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

The only major issue with Ramsay getting his very soon is that then the show would be mostly out of established villains. Granted, they seem to be developing a couple more this season.
    Somebody's gotta be sitting on the Iron Throne for Dany to come take it back from.

I mean, it's possible that towards the end of the series the White Walkers will be the only real antagonists left but that's a fair bit less satisfying. Ideally whoever ends up being the last non-supernatural villain is someone who's been around and has been developing from the beginning, and who actually remains formidable.

Perhaps it'd be most fitting if in the end Jaime somehow ends up as king? He (and Cersei) are the only villainous characters who we've really been asked to sympathize with, and he'd obviously be a good fit as Dany's ultimate antagonist (being the kingslayer and all).

Of course, there's also Littlefinger.

• Options
    Apparently Emilia Clarke is very, very funny on set, something you would never know if you didn't look at cast interviews and other bonus materials because her character is so... stoic.

But if you are interested in seeing her funny side, here she is singing a reggae song about her character with Coldplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfI_mUIvYq8

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Also regarding Ramsay, in the books if anything he's largely used to define Roose's character as well - who's pretty obviously the far more dangerous one out of the two. Ramsay is his psycho son and Roose is morally apathetic but stylistically disgusted by him, because he's impulsive and stupid. Roose was plainly ready to murder the shit out of him the moment he could, but since he's still the heir for now that's just how it goes. Roose even ruminates that Ramsay inheriting would ruin the house... he's just not sure if a child inheriting would be a better or worse alternative.

Weirdly the show did a really awesome job at Roose back in the Red Wedding season, all the way up to that weird calm he had when Catelyn realized they were all about to get murdered when she sees chainmail under his sleeve.

And then the Boltons turned into the Ramsay show for some reason

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Faceless Men as barista's shouldn't be trusted.
    3U87Ewn.jpg

Maybe use an alias when you order your next coffee. Yeah.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Apparently Emilia Clarke is very, very funny on set, something you would never know if you didn't look at cast interviews and other bonus materials because her character is so... stoic.

But if you are interested in seeing her funny side, here she is singing a reggae song about her character with Coldplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfI_mUIvYq8

The bit where Iwan Rheon and Alfie Allen see each other was my favorite part from that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Also regarding Ramsay, in the books if anything he's largely used to define Roose's character as well - who's pretty obviously the far more dangerous one out of the two. Ramsay is his psycho son and Roose is morally apathetic but stylistically disgusted by him, because he's impulsive and stupid. Roose was plainly ready to murder the shit out of him the moment he could, but since he's still the heir for now that's just how it goes. Roose even ruminates that Ramsay inheriting would ruin the house... he's just not sure if a child inheriting would be a better or worse alternative.

Weirdly the show did a really awesome job at Roose back in the Red Wedding season, all the way up to that weird calm he had when Catelyn realized they were all about to get murdered when she sees chainmail under his sleeve.

The best part of that scene imo. Just the look he gives her is fantastic. But then I think Michael McElhatton is one of the many many actors they got for this show that really nailed his part well.

The rest of it I found really stilted though honestly. Just awkward feeling with alot of people standing around waiting for the other actor to do their part of the blocking.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The best part of that scene imo. Just the look he gives her is fantastic. But then I think Michael McElhatton is one of the many many actors they got for this show that really nailed his part well.

The rest of it I found really stilted though honestly. Just awkward feeling with alot of people standing around waiting for the other actor to do their part of the blocking.

Nothing is worse than the Sand Snakes fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2o1GBZj1A

Some real Xena shit going on here.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    God yeah that fight scene is just awful. You can see them counting out the routine in their heads.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    If somehow someone figured out how to make an atom bomb out of dragon piss and Ramsays head, blowing the entirety of Dorne out of the show, I would not mind at all.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Nothing is worse than the Sand Snakes fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2o1GBZj1A

Some real Xena shit going on here.

If I recall, the set-up to that scene was also atrocious. Aka, non-existent, aka they all just happened to be walking into a courtyard at the same time and then there was a random fight scene.

Sand snakes 4never

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    God yeah that fight scene is just awful. You can see them counting out the routine in their heads.

I can't see that because I can barely see anything. That is the most disorienting camera work. Frequent cuts that change orientation every time.

And it STILL doesn't hide the terrible choreography.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
  • Options
    That scene went on for wayyyyy too long.

I would have understood that they killed Walda just from the "bring me Walda and the baby" line. Because I'm not a moron.

Instead we got 5 minutes of them standing around in the kennels while she asked where Roose was. Really?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    That scene went on for wayyyyy too long.

I would have understood that they killed Walda just from the "bring me Walda and the baby" line. Because I'm not a moron.

Instead we got 5 minutes of them standing around in the kennels while she asked where Roose was. Really?

Fuck, just cut after the whistle even if they feel they have to show any of it

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Well I mean

The writers are always citing a lack of running time as a reason they can't put some of the more important book scenes in

Scenes like the one in spoilers or the Sand Snakes arc make that reasoning ring pretty damn hollow

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Well I mean

The writers are always citing a lack of running time as a reason they can't put some of the more important book scenes in

Scenes like the one in spoilers or the Sand Snakes arc make that reasoning ring pretty damn hollow

Hoping recent events mean we get a more focused show. Dorne was a huge disappointment after the awesome of Oberyn

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well I mean

That excuse has never worked. There are so many gratuitous scenes of sex or violence that do nothing to add to the story, and in Season 4 Tyrion had a high number of repetitive scenes. Cutting book scenes is a creative decision, they should just own up to it.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well I mean

That excuse has never worked. There are so many gratuitous scenes of sex or violence that do nothing to add to the story, and in Season 4 Tyrion had a high number of repetitive scenes. Cutting book scenes is a creative decision, they should just own up to it.

It wasn't just Tyrion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PHTbt2GdM

EDIT: oh wait that was season 5

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Ok...so Theon. They cut off lots of you... You can forgive yourself.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    The thing that makes me so angry about the Dorne subplot is that it replaced the incredible "Bronn merrily murders everyone standing in his wife's way of inheriting the castle. With wisecracking along the way." Somewhere there is an alternate reality who got this instead, lucky bastards.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    The thing that makes me so angry about the Dorne subplot is that it replaced the incredible "Bronn merrily murders everyone standing in his wife's way of inheriting the castle. With wisecracking along the way." Somewhere there is an alternate reality who got this instead, lucky bastards.

Eh, we were never going to get that storyline sadly because it only features Bronn, very occasionally Cersei and no other established cast member.

I would have rather we got the Jamie book plot with Bronn tagging along. That plot was already pretty fun for Jamie and adding Bronn would have only increased the fun.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »

That plot line was possibly the best part of book 4 despite never actually being shown.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    TV talk with book stuff
    The show sending Jaime to Dorne was the dumbest thing. Jaime's story arc in the Riverlands is terrific and they have, apparently, cut it for the garbage they're passing off for the Dorne story line.

Jaime's PoV chapters are really great and shiw the transformation his character undergoes after Tyrion's trial and Tywin's death. He becomes much more relatabke when he starts questioning the choices he's made so far and how they'll shape how he's remembered. He comes to the realization that Cersei has been manipulating him and he goes to help in the Riverlands to escape her. In the Riverlands he starts acting more like Tywon & Tyrion, negotiating and bargaining for peace. He's not the same Jaime that threw a young boy out of a window and it shows very well.

But now we've got Jaime seemingly going back to the aggreasive, reckless man he was befor losing his hand. The chances of his very real transformation in the books being swept aside just keep going up. The show runners feel the need to completely flip or destroy characterization in exchange for more shock and awe.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    "not having time" doesn't get solved by turning one scene into another. you need to set things up and all that.
    Zomro wrote: »
    TV talk with book stuff
    The show sending Jaime to Dorne was the dumbest thing. Jaime's story arc in the Riverlands is terrific and they have, apparently, cut it for the garbage they're passing off for the Dorne story line.

Jaime's PoV chapters are really great and shiw the transformation his character undergoes after Tyrion's trial and Tywin's death. He becomes much more relatabke when he starts questioning the choices he's made so far and how they'll shape how he's remembered. He comes to the realization that Cersei has been manipulating him and he goes to help in the Riverlands to escape her. In the Riverlands he starts acting more like Tywon & Tyrion, negotiating and bargaining for peace. He's not the same Jaime that threw a young boy out of a window and it shows very well.

But now we've got Jaime seemingly going back to the aggreasive, reckless man he was befor losing his hand. The chances of his very real transformation in the books being swept aside just keep going up. The show runners feel the need to completely flip or destroy characterization in exchange for more shock and awe.

I disagree that he's gone back. that's as someone who hasn't read the books.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    TV talk with book stuff

Fuckin' A. His characterization has been god awful, nearly non existant for the last 2 seasons, as opposed to utterly brilliant in the books. Stannis is my favorite character but Jaime has had one of, if not the best overall character arcs.

This discussion has been closed.