As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I know this is a big hypothetical but if current coding/technology were not an issue or limitation is there something you would love to see implemented on the forums in the future?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what can we people who post in it do or change about our behavior to make the webcomic thread less of a problem thread?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Was the "Post here to tell me why you should be a mod" thread actually a trap all along?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I know this is a big hypothetical but if current coding/technology were not an issue or limitation is there something you would love to see implemented on the forums in the future?

Mostly boring backend stuff. If I had resources to throw at it I'd expand Geth hugely, but the bottleneck is how much time Icy has.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Have you considered setting up a temporary Tumblr askbox or something along those lines to also allow anonymous questions? I can imagine some might feel more comfortable asking "difficult" questions with that veneer of anonymity. There's at least one question I have that I'd rather not ask in front of god and sundry.

This would also probably be a magnet for the worst "questions" imaginable, so I suppose I understand if there's no way to make something like that work.

signature.png

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    can we have an anime thread

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Have you considered setting up a temporary Tumblr askbox or something along those lines to also allow anonymous questions? I can imagine some might feel more comfortable asking "difficult" questions with that veneer of anonymity. There's at least one question I have that I'd rather not ask in front of god and sundry.

This would also probably be a magnet for the worst "questions" imaginable, so I suppose I understand if there's no way to make something like that work.

No. People can PM me questions if they want and I'll put them in the thread as anonymous. I'm not interested in answering questions from anonymous people. If someone wants to ask me a question anonymously, it's because they want to be a dickhead and know it won't blow back.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    how do you feel about frogs, what's your favourite kind of frog, what are you supposed to feed frogs? I found a frog

wait shit are you supposed to feed frogs?

For Tube - what's the process like for recruiting mods? Do you ask forum regulars to do it or is it a posting people apply to? How do you feel about the current size of the mod staff?

We discuss it in the mod forum and then approach candidates. We don't take applications, and volunteering weighs heavily against a candidate. The mod team is currently overstaffed but not in any way that I care about. "Inactive" moderators are profoundly useful for their input more than their ability to lock threads and ban spammers.

Speaking of mod input

How do you deal with big moderation decisions, in other words, do you guys act like a council with debate and voting, or does Tube make decisions and just take advice under advisement?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Mostly boring backend stuff. If I had resources to throw at it I'd expand Geth hugely, but the bottleneck is how much time Icy has.

So we need to invest in a community kickstarter to make Icy a time machine.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    who are your favorite forumers

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Have you ever had to deal with a forum breakup to an extent that it required mod intervention? Like ' these two people are being so shitty to each other we need to separate them'?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    don't answer that

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    how do you feel about frogs, what's your favourite kind of frog, what are you supposed to feed frogs? I found a frog

wait shit are you supposed to feed frogs?

For Tube - what's the process like for recruiting mods? Do you ask forum regulars to do it or is it a posting people apply to? How do you feel about the current size of the mod staff?

We discuss it in the mod forum and then approach candidates. We don't take applications, and volunteering weighs heavily against a candidate. The mod team is currently overstaffed but not in any way that I care about. "Inactive" moderators are profoundly useful for their input more than their ability to lock threads and ban spammers.

Speaking of mod input

How do you deal with big moderation decisions, in other words, do you guys act like a council with debate and voting, or does Tube make decisions and just take advice under advisement?

I take counsel and then make a decision. Decisions for particular individual sub forums are generally dealt with by the moderators of that forum with my input where required. Dispute rate is essentially zero.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Have you ever had to deal with a forum breakup to an extent that it required mod intervention? Like ' these two people are being so shitty to each other we need to separate them'?

I have :P

It was such a super long time ago that it probably largely predates forum memory at this point.

I have a standing policy that I don't allow relationship threads about other forumers because once was enough.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

Yes.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Are there any major decisions you wish you could have done differently or regret making at all?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Have you tried the new hot-dog crust pizza from pizza hut and how did it (or would it) effect your ability to moderate?

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Pants: yay or nay?

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Are there any major decisions you wish you could have done differently or regret making at all?

Major decisions (as in massive epoch changing forum decisions) no. Minor decisions and handling of specific forumers and situations? Absolutely, all the time. A manager who doesn't think they could do better has no self-awareness. I don't let it bum me out too hard, just use it as advisement for next time.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What is the Wu-Tang secret?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Have you tried the new hot-dog crust pizza from pizza hut and how did it (or would it) effect your ability to moderate?

I tried it years ago when it debuted in the UK. I really enjoyed it, but it was available for a very limited time.

• Options
    What is the Wu-Tang secret?

They're anything to fuck with.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Have you ever considered building a small, useless widget into the Vanilla software called Icy User Privacy and abbreviating it to the Icy U.P.?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    who are your favorite forumers

DI76936T?id=kUhTv3&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=591&hei=789

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    How do you or the admin staff feel about lurkers? Or 95% lurkers?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Do you actually dislike my name, or are you just being tsundere?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Have you ever considered building a small, useless widget into the Vanilla software called Icy User Privacy and abbreviating it to the Icy U.P.?

This shouldn't amuse me as much as it does.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    How much input did/do you have on the forum's visual design and overall look?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

For you, the day Tube commented on your name was the most important day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday.
    Label wrote: »

No feelings.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What is your favorite memory of a forum game or event? Say a specific EPYC or when you merge the forums during the holidays?

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    OH WHAT A LOVELY DAY

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    How much did you love Mad Max Fury Road?

• Options
    THE SHINE HAS COME.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Will you continue to participate in the trans thread discussions?

I think it's a good thing just having you around, chillin'

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm curious about the no name change policy. Is this a time/ hassle doing it issue, or a moderation issue, or just a way to keep people knowing who is who, or some combination thereof?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The Witness icon is an eye, not a UFO as I first thought, which makes it significantly less confusing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man I am so happy about these reactions

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    where do you get the icons for the new reaction buttons? from vanilla?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh
    Oh no

I was already so tired of mad max memes already

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

For you, the day Tube commented on your name was the most important day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday.
    Label wrote: »

No feelings.

He noticed me!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.