As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ryuutama] There and Back Again

• Options
    Darth Luke PicardDarth Luke Picard Of the U.S.S. Executor Registered User regular
    @Dex Dynamo go ahead and pick 2 Incantstion Spells of Low Level for your spell book, and then you'll also automatically get all the Low Level spells from the Season you attune to.

I'll be posting up the shopping info later today once I get home from work. You'll all be starting with 1,000 gold, but will be buying everything but your weapons, from clothes to rations. And if you want your clothing to be "cute" or "sturdy", expect to pay more!

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    You can specifically buy cute clothes? Best. Game. Ever.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Darth Luke PicardDarth Luke Picard Of the U.S.S. Executor Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    You can specifically buy cute clothes? Best. Game. Ever.

Yep! Items can be Cute, Beautiful, Uncool, Tough, Smelly.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I actually went ahead and accidentally did some prepurchasing while I was perusing the item section.

One thing that might be very useful to keep in mind is to set aside some amount for general party use. If we can each pitch in 200 gold or so, we can easily afford a party kit (800 gold) which will net us a lot of good traveling gear (including a pack animal that could be OptimusZed's character's Ox and a cart to help move around our rations and gear).

Another thing that I missed at first is if you buy a backpack or other container, you only count its weight, and anything you put inside it is considered weightless. Makes a huge difference for keeping yourself unencumbered (especially since you get a backpack for free with the Basic Kit)
    Tolly's Shopping List - cost [weight]
    "Sturdy" Clothes - 150 [3]
    Hunting Bow - Free [3]
    Basic Kit - 150 [0] (Broke it down into individual pieces)
    Large Backpack - 40 [5] (9/10)
    - Sleeping Bag - Basic [1]
    - Water Skin - Basic [1]
    - Rations x 2 - Basic [2]
    - Firestarter Set - 50 [1]
    - Insect Repellent Candle - 10 [1]
    - Rope - 50 [1]
    - Quill pen - 2 [1]
    - Wooden Utensils - Basic [1]
    Belt Pouch - 30 [1] (2/2)
    - "Utility" Knife - 200 [1]
    - Leather Notebook - 100 [1]

Total Cost: 782/1000 gold
    Capacity: 6/12 (1 slot free in backpack)

This ended up leaving me with 218 gold. 18 of which I'll claim for Tolly's personal cash reserve, the remaining 200 I'll gladly put up for the group's item fund.

I purchased a Firestarter set even though the Party Kit gives us one because I figure this is one of those things that having a backup for would be a really good idea, in case our first one gets damaged or we get somehow seperated for a night. Incidentally, it's a good idea to see what the Party Kit has, since it saved me buying a lot of other stuff like soap, a Repair Kit, and a handful of other things that I might have bought for personal use, but will gladly borrow from a group stash instead.

I also purchased a "Broken" (0.5 cost) light blade because I figured it would be silly for a Hunter to not have some sort of knife on him for the usual reasons, but couldn't really find a good way to fit a 400 gold purchase into my list. It looks like repairing a weapon costs 0.2 of its full cost (or 80 gold), so hopefully this isn't considered too cheesy given that Tolly isn't planning on using it in a fight, and is either going to have to get himself a paycheck before getting it fixed, or convince Edmund to maybe give him a hefty discount for using his Repair Skill. Could consider it something of a starting sidequest - "Get my favorite knife fixed because I broke it :?".

If that's not a good enough excuse, I'll just drop the knife and split the extra cash evenly between personal and group cash.
    - Replaced with a "Utility" Knife that's no good for combat.

Edit: Noticed the Basic Kit's weight is assuming you use the included backpack, which I'm not, so I went ahead and seperated out the contents into my Large Backpack and Belt Pouch. I guess I also have an empty backpack which I'm not using now, so uh, group fund for that I suppose? We can fill it with loot if we find any, perhaps.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    @Marshmallow if you don't want it for combat (which you really shouldn't since you don't have the skill anyway), I'd be okay saying the 200 covers a "utility knife" that just isn't any good for combat, but fully functional for other things.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I've chosen two low-level Incantations (though, do I have the option of learning a ritual? Because the tastegood ritual sounds up my alley, if I can), and added them to my character sheet.

• Options
    @Marshmallow if you don't want it for combat (which you really shouldn't since you don't have the skill anyway), I'd be okay saying the 200 covers a "utility knife" that just isn't any good for combat, but fully functional for other things.

I could see a few situations that having a combat-ready knife would be useful even without being skilled in it, especially since Tolly's Bow is very inaccurate in comparison. That said, a utility knife works just fine for me for the moment, thanks!

• Options

I could see a few situations that having a combat-ready knife would be useful even without being skilled in it, especially since Tolly's Bow is very inaccurate in comparison. That said, a utility knife works just fine for me for the moment, thanks!

True. I thought about that after I posted. But you've also got unarmed (and I'd totally let your bow count as an improvised melee weapon to reduce the penalty. You'd just risk breaking it on a Fumble.)

Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I've chosen two low-level Incantations (though, do I have the option of learning a ritual? Because the tastegood ritual sounds up my alley, if I can), and added them to my character sheet.

@Dex Dynamo Don't have my pdf with me atm, but I want to say that Rituals are only different from normal Incantations in that they take an hour to perform. So yes, you could take the ritual so long as it was Low Level.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Edmund's Shopping List:
    Backpack (3, 5/5)
    * Sleeping Bag
    * Waterskin
    * Leather Notebook
    * Quill pen
    * Soap
    Clothes (3)
    Light Blade (1)
    Walking Stick (3)

Pantry The Goat (Pack Animal, Loud) (13/15)
    * Alcohol X6
    * Pillow
    * Rations X2
    * Utensils
    * Animal Feed (3)

Remaining GP: 35
    Capacity: 3/7

Pantry is a portly goat who groans and yells a lot as he walks. Sometimes Edmund will engage him in surprisingly detailed conversations.

EDIT: And I'm putting 200GP towards a party kit.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention, clothes you're wearing and weapons you're wielding don't count their weight, so your clothes aren't going to count against your Carrying Capacity, and your main weapon generally won't count either.

• Options
    Excellent. In that case, I'm buying a walking stick.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Excellent. In that case, I'm buying a walking stick.

Walking stick also won't count so long as you don't have it strapped to your back, as its "equipped". So you'll still have between 3 and 4 Capacity free.

Also, for future reference, unconscious and/or dead party members count as a 5-weight item. :P

Darth Luke Picard on
  • Options
    Even better!

• Options
    That frees up a considerable amount of Capacity for Tolly. Looks like he can easily carry a incapacitated party member if the going gets rough and we need to get going. Two even, if it's dire enough and he ditches his backpack.

Best make friends with him, everyone. Don't want to get left behind.

• Options
    Edmund could easily move his backpack onto Pantry and carry an incapacitated party member as well--though he'd need to free up 1 point of weight, which would probably mean knocking back a bottle of alcohol on the spot.

The sacrifices I'm willing to make for you young'ns!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'll have an equipment list up sometime this evening. I just need to decide if dad left his ox when he took off.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you have the ox, would you get a cart too? Or would Babe be too proud to pull?

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If you have the ox, would you get a cart too? Or would Babe be too proud to pull?

There actually aren't any carts in the game yet. They'll be in a splat book. But since you guys are meant to go off road fairly often, I imagine they'd run out their usefulness pretty quickly.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

There actually aren't any carts in the game yet. They'll be in a splat book. But since you guys are meant to go off road fairly often, I imagine they'd run out their usefulness pretty quickly.

I'm actually really delighted to see there will be more books in the first place. Do you know what else they will be putting in it?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

I'm actually really delighted to see there will be more books in the first place. Do you know what else they will be putting in it?

The next book is supposed to deal with seafaring at a minimum. There's a new Navigator class, and there'll be ship stuff. And I know it also has a new race--those cat-goblin things.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    God I am so glad you talked about this game in the general RPG thread and convinced me to buy it. That sounds really great (minding, I'm still digesting the core system).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Aegeri wrote: »
    God I am so glad you talked about this game in the general RPG thread and convinced me to buy it. That sounds really great (minding, I'm still digesting the core system).

I've got to admit, I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out. Being able to expand or shrink Travel rolls to cover anything from a full days hike to a single chase is pretty interesting in how it effects the game itself. It's not "roll the same Dex check 10 times while I narrate the thief at you" but instead is "wow. 3 on your travel check on the chase? What the hell happened, did you fall off a roof!?" And then letting the player explain how everything went wrong. And then sprinkling in some rolls to the story to see how the details played out.

I love that it basically creates a bunch of in medias res moments and let's you skip all the parts that don't matter, and that its build into the mechanics and not just a "well, let's skip ahead" call by the GM.

Darth Luke Picard on
  • Options
    @jdarksun @OptimusZed @Mikey CTS Friendly reminder!

• Options
    I'll pick my equipment tomorrow, I got my spells ready to go.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Apologies, my wife has been out of town for the past week and it has just been me and the kids. Catching up on stuff now.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Apologies, my wife has been out of town for the past week and it has just been me and the kids. Catching up on stuff now.

No problem! I know how life can be, hence the @s. Its a relaxed gsme, so I'm perfectly fine with a relaxed pace. :)

• Options
    Okay, I have 185 zenny to contribute to the party fund! A d4 in strength really makes it hard to manage inventory space.

• Options
    Hey guys, should I take Cure instead of Pure Crystalight? I'm not currently taking Cure because it seemed like a waste, since I've already got healing ability without using MP. But being a Spring caster I can add 2 MP to my Cure casting to increase the effect an additional d6, which is huge. Thoughts?

• Options
    Chris' Shopping List - 8/9
    Rapier (Light Blade) - Free / worn
    Clothes - 50G / worn
    Instrument (Harp) - 300G / 3
    Windbreaker - 120G / worn
    Large Backpack - 40G / 5 - 10/10
    . Basic Kit - 150G / 3
    . Clothes, spare - 50G / 3
    . Soap - 5G / 1
    . Washing Set - 15G / 3

Cost: 730

Chris can contribute 270G to the party kit, but he'd really like this particular Cap he's had his eyes on...

DLC, price/size OK for the Harp?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    @jdarkson
    As long as Sean can contribute at least 65 gold to the fund, you should be good to buy your cap and just put in 150. Also note that the Party Kit comes with Soap and a Washing Set, so you don't have to get your own, unless you don't want to share the same soap with everyone else (which I'd consider a pretty valid reason).

Also I think the Basic Kit's weight of 3 is assuming you use the backpack it comes with. Since I'm fairly sure you can't put a filled backpack inside another backpack, you might be over your capacity. You might see if you can't get a partial refund on the extraneous backpack and get a Belt Pouch to make up some of the weight difference (they're only 30 gold, so not terribly hard to fit into a budget).

Another alternative for both you and @Mikey CTS would be to requisition some space on a pack animal. Since I guess we might be ending up with two of them what with Edmund's Pantry goat and the one that comes with a Party Kit, we should be able to spare some space for some personal items. Wouldn't hurt to toss your harp/washing kit in a wooden chest for the pack animals to hoof around since it's not like you'll need them at a moment's notice in a life or death situation.

Edit: And if no one ends up having any plans for the group pack animal, it should totally be a really big dog.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My kit is pretty simple. I couldn't afford an Ox, unfortunately.

But my mom basically just loaded me up with as much food as I could carry before I left town, because she worries about me getting too skinny on the road.

I've got 550 to apply to the group fund.

Edit: I should specify; I put the kit up on my sheet.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Let's see.

Sleeping bag - 1
    Wooden utensils - 1
    Waterskin - 1
    Rations x2 - 1... each?

So yeah, probably 5 from the Basic Kit. But I'm rather disbelieving that Clothes are 3 while a Sleeping Bag is 1... and that's the same size as Utensils, a Waterskin, and one Ration. A Tent for three people is size 3! One set of spare Clothes takes up as much room as a Tent?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Group funds after purchasing a Party Kit: 485 (Assuming Chris buys his Cap)

That gets us:

Pack Animal - 10/15
    Barrel [5] 0/10 (15 if water)
    Wooden Chest 13/15
    - Repair Kit [1]
    - Torches x 3 [3]
    - Firestarter Kit [1]
    - Soap x 2 [2]
    - Washing Set [3]
    - Tent [3]

So there's still 2 weight free in the Wooden Chest, and 5 Weight free on the pack animal, as well as an empty barrel we might as well fill with water since that's the most efficient use of it. Might be worth nabbing 10 gold from the group stash to buy an extra Wooden Chest so we can get 15 more weight for rations/stuff.

We should also decide what the pack animal is. I have no problem with @OptimusZed claiming it for Sean's Ox, given how much he contributed to the party fund.

We should also maybe have someone act as Quartermaster (in-character, even). Keep track of party funds and rations/water and all that jazz. Anyone want to volunteer for that?
    jdarksun wrote: »
    One set of spare Clothes takes up as much room as a Tent?
    I've got a Quill pen that takes up as much room as 30 ft of rope. Who knows, man.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Think of it more like Diablo's inventory system. Things take up either 1, 3, or 5 blocks.

• Options
    Quartermaster sounds right up Edmund's alley unless someone else really wants the job. Gotta make sure you kids are eating right, after all!

• Options
    Nope, I don't usually mind doing it but I think not for this Madalene, I think. If it's Edmund's thing then by all means.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    If I'm quartermaster, you can look forward to stock reports and monthly financial statements, so best not to go there.

Oh and uh, for input on @Mikey CTS's Cure/Crystalight question: I dunno. I'm not really sure how many fights we'll be getting into and how much healing we'll need, so I suppose pick whatever you think'll give you more mileage. You get two spells per level so you can always pick up whichever one you miss out on when we level up.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    I went ahead and took Cure Touch, cause I forgot my Healer ability does require the use of rations and water. The spell will help us manage our inventory some.

• Options
    Whoops. Sorry guys, didn't realize @Mikey CTS had edited his shopping list into his original character post, so was waiting for that. Well! Alright. I guess we're in a position where we can start then, and we can make any last little changes as we go without too much of an issue.

@jdarksun @Marshmallow @OptimusZed @Dex Dynamo

One thing I want to make clear to everyone is that this is a bit of a learning experience. I know most people on this forum are experienced GMs and players, so if you have any comments or ideas on changes to how I'm running things, feel free to post here or message me in private. This game has a unique flow to be sure, and the book, honestly, has awful examples. So it might take a journey or two to find a good way to play it. Hopefully you guys don't mind hanging in there with me until we can find our footing!

@Aegeri The above applies to you as well! If you have any suggestions as things get rolling, feel free to shoot me a PM, as I'd love your input.

And with that, I'd like everyone to Roll your Condition. That's a roll of [STR + SPI], and then we'll get started!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Geth roll 1d6+1d4 for Tolly's Condition

Looks like Tolly's having a fairly average start to his day. Could be feeling better, but could be feeling worse.

Tolly's Condition:
    1d6+1d4 5 [1d6=4] [1d4=1]

Marshmallow on