As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Marauder announcement lands critical hit on wallets.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Disclaimer. Please don't touch anything inside your computer when it is on. Some of those parts can hurt you.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Disclaimer. Please don't touch anything inside your computer when it is on. Some of those parts can hurt you.

I said touch the computer, not any of the components.

Your case is almost as much a heatsink as your heatsinks are.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    A fusion reactor would generate so much heat it's unreal. We're talking about a miniature sun inside each mech.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    You could conduct heat out through the feet into whatever the mech was standing on.

Except that's not how heatsinks in Battletech/MWO work at all.
    You could conduct heat out through the feet into whatever the mech was standing on.

Or shunt the heat through a flamer. The hotter your mech is running, the higher the damage...all the while you're draining your mech's heat (reducing combat effectiveness of prolonged flaming).

Flamers shunt reactor plasma out via the flamer nozzles, You cant fuel flamers off of electronic heat.

In other words, inside every fusion engined mech is a little sun, and flamers shoot starstuff.

Except that is not expressed in the game. If it's plasma that the flamers spray around, shouldn't it apply a DoT effect? And if it's venting reactor plasma, isn't that a big component of what fuels the heat gauge on the mech (which would be the logic behind engine heatsinks being more efficient at cooling than sinks bolted to the outside of the mech).

Feel your computer.

Feel how hot it is?

Imagine ones the size bathroom, and with hardware lasers the size of cars.

That's whats generating your heat. Sure a reactor generates some waste heat, but its generally not significant or a concern on anything but the most blazing hot of worlds.

If it's just "some waste heat"...where's that high-energy plasma coming from? If a flamer vents reactor plasma (which, as represented in-game, is quite hot), what is 1) not stopping the unvented plasma from heating up your reactor (i.e. waste heat) and 2) making dumping said waste plasma not lower/mitigate the heat of the engine? Using your computer analogy, that's why I have a shit-ton of fans blowing the heat out of my case (in an effort to keep things cool).

Now, all this could be avoided if "Flamer" was a total misnomer and the weapon actually just directed crazy amounts of unfiltered stellar radiation...but that runs into other issues, too.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Or shunt the heat through a flamer. The hotter your mech is running, the higher the damage...all the while you're draining your mech's heat (reducing combat effectiveness of prolonged flaming).

Flamers shunt reactor plasma out via the flamer nozzles, You cant fuel flamers off of electronic heat.

In other words, inside every fusion engined mech is a little sun, and flamers shoot starstuff.

Except that is not expressed in the game. If it's plasma that the flamers spray around, shouldn't it apply a DoT effect? And if it's venting reactor plasma, isn't that a big component of what fuels the heat gauge on the mech (which would be the logic behind engine heatsinks being more efficient at cooling than sinks bolted to the outside of the mech).

Feel your computer.

Feel how hot it is?

That's whats generating your heat. Sure a reactor generates some waste heat, but its generally not significant or a concern on anything but the most blazing hot of worlds.

If it's just "some waste heat"...where's that high-energy plasma coming from? If a flamer vents reactor plasma (which, as represented in-game, is quite hot), what is 1) not stopping the unvented plasma from heating up your reactor (i.e. waste heat) and 2) making dumping said waste plasma not lower/mitigate the heat of the engine? Using your computer analogy, that's why I have a shit-ton of fans blowing the heat out of my case (in an effort to keep things cool).

Now, all this could be avoided if "Flamer" was a total misnomer and the weapon actually just directed crazy amounts of unfiltered stellar radiation...but that runs into other issues, too.

I could be spitting out burning diesel fuel or something.

I'm pretty sure battletech is just space-magic though. If that's the case I don't really need explanations for anything.

I wonder what would happen if they made losing a clan XL side torso lower your movement speed as much as if you lost a leg.

• Options

Feel your computer.

Feel how hot it is?

I'm pretty sure battletech is just space-magic though. If that's the case I don't really need explanations for anything.

I wonder what would happen if they made losing a clan XL side torso lower your movement speed as much as if you lost a leg.

Rule of cool. Flamethrowers are cool...so they need to be in the game (just don't ask how they work) :P

And yeah, I thought the original incarnation of Clan XL 'balance' was to lose 50% of your heatsinks in addition to a speed reduction.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Sarna answers all...
    Heat sinks, which sharing names with real world passive radiators found in computers, are actually complete heat pumps, not "true" heat sinks in the engineering sense [1][2]. They serve as a BattleMech's means of protecting itself from internal damage caused by heat, as most 'Mechs' weapons easily cause enough heat to fry the machine's own electronics or melt its synthetic muscles, the myomers that make 'Mechs possible.

Heat sinks operate by collecting heat with coolant distributed to heat sources (weapons, engines, myomers, electronics, etc.) and delivering that to a radiator. Because a BattleMech may operate in environments considerably hotter than the interior of the 'Mech, the system includes a heat pump to "force" the heat out of the 'Mech by elevating the temperature of the coolant in some reversible fashion. (The vapor-compression heat pump of home air conditioners is a typical example, but 31st Century BattleMechs may make use of more exotic heat pumps.)

Note that if the heat sinks were true heat sinks or simple combustion engine radiators, a BattleMech operating in a hot environment would find the exterior heat being driven into the BattleMech rather than having internal heat rejected.

BattleMechs generally have two types of heat sinks: those mounted in the fusion engine and those mounted elsewhere on the chassis. The chassis-mounted heat sinks perform as described above, while the engine-mounted heat sinks constitute a "regenerative cooling" system that scavenges excess heat for power.

Heat sinks are made of a number of materials. Traditional heat sinks, the so-called single strength heat sinks, typically use radiators made of very thermally conductive oriented graphite (which may have up to five times the thermal conductivity of copper). Double heat sinks have largely replaced normal heat sinks. They dissipate twice as much heat for the same tonnage, but take up more space to operate effectively because of their use of a crystalline polymer. This polymer, similar to the engine shielding of XL fusion engines [3], is not as thermally conductive as graphite but significantly lighter and more durable, allowing it to be formed into a larger radiator for the same mass.

The actual coolant circulating in the heat sink varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and military to military. Heavy oils (hydrocarbon and silicone) are favored for their high boiling points and thus may be contained by low pressure tubing. Water-based coolants, typically modified with glycols, have nearly unbeatable heat capacities and are readily available for resupply. Freons work very effectively with the heat pumps in heat sinks. Some gases, like helium, also find use in heat sinks. Contrary to what might be thought, liquid nitrogen is a very poor coolant - it has very little heat capacity and boils far too easily.

Despite the heat pump, heat sinks are affected by the surrounding environment as a matter of basic thermodynamics - it takes less work to dump heat into a cold environment than a hot one, and water is a better coolant than air. Many 'Mechs on desert worlds often have to be refitted for the different conditions, or risk overheating from the compounded effects of weapons-fire and the environment. Conversely, heat sinks operating in cold regions and worlds dissipate heat much more effectively, as the environment's natively-cold temperature helps cool the BattleMech by default. This often leads to many garrisons on ice-worlds using a larger number of energy weapons, as they don't have to worry about heat as much. A 'Mech submerged in water, however, is often the one with the most efficient heat sinks as they can pump dense water (with its enormous heat capacity) over the heat sink radiators instead of low density air.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    'venting reactor plasma' doesn't really make sense anyway; a fusion reactor (at least based on our contemporary understanding of fusion) would not create a plasma waste product which needed manual venting.

it would make (slightly) more sense for a flamer to vent spent liquid coolant, but even that's kind of dumb since whatever liquid-ish substance you'd use would probably not be that well suited to projectile spray

it would make much more sense for flamers to just be fed by a napalm tank or something

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Introduced in 2025, the standard Flamer taps into a BattleMech's reactor to produce heat in the form of a plasma release.[3] An extremely short-ranged weapon, the Flamer is devastating against infantry, however damage done against other 'Mechs and vehicles is negligible, though it can raise the enemy unit's heat levels. The Flamer is also often used to set ambient objects such as trees aflame, making it useful for burning forests or cities in order to slow the enemy down or cover friendly movements. A clear example of such weapon usage in a 'Mech is the Firestarter BattleMech.

There is also the Vehicle flamer, which uses a fuel source as ammo

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Feel your computer.

Feel how hot it is?

Rule of cool. Flamethrowers are cool...so they need to be in the game (just don't ask how they work) :P

And yeah, I thought the original incarnation of Clan XL 'balance' was to lose 50% of your heatsinks in addition to a speed reduction.

That was the idea, but would a 50% reduction in cooling capability really inhibit a mech that on average just lost 50% of its heat generating equipment?

The speed reduction would sting though. So would forcing them to go through a power down /power up cycle.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I forgot to ask this while playing this weekend. When did they put in the powering up animation in the game? Was it in the last patch? It is cool seeing the mechs stand up while turning them on, but makes no sense when in the dropship.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The powering up animation has been there for a long long time. You just cant normally see it unless you have teammates in front of you at the start of a match.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    A fusion reactor would generate so much heat it's unreal. We're talking about a miniature sun inside each mech.

Not necessarily true. The plasma itself is very hot, but a reactor isn't filled with it. The inside of a tokamak is a whole lot of vacuum with a bit of plasma inside.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The powering up animation has been there for a long long time. You just cant normally see it unless you have teammates in front of you at the start of a match.

Ok must be since I pushed the video to very high this past weekend. Before the rest of my Lance would stand up, but my cockpit wouldn't jerk up as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Not necessarily true. The plasma itself is very hot, but a reactor isn't filled with it. The inside of a tokamak is a whole lot of vacuum with a bit of plasma inside.

It has to produce heat or it wouldn't be useful. Reactors don't just generate electricity magically. They produce heat which is then harnessed to do work. Moving a huge mech is a lot of work, even if whatever heat capture they use is very efficient the reactor would still need to generate an obscene amount of heat to move the mech.

• Options
    Friendly reminder, Alpha Strike Kickstarter tomorrow afternoon. Get hype!

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    That would be cool. Dead mechs should break away from the ship and float into space.

Dumping heat would be harder though, since you wouldn't have any fluid (like air) to rush through the heatsinks so you'd only be able to sink head via radiation.
    You'd think that, but I don't think HPG manifold has much of an atmosphere and heat dissipates just fine there.

In think PGI skipped class the day they covered conduction. All they think about is that it is cold. They don't think about the fact that it is a near vacuum. They probably also think that a Thermos works on magic.

That's a fundamental issue with BattleTech, not MWO in particular. How do aerospace fighters and dropships work? They use the same weapons and heat sinks.

• Options
    Friendly reminder, Alpha Strike Kickstarter tomorrow afternoon. Get hype!

Pfft, what is this afternoon you speak of? 10AM for some of us.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Haha! I finally finished earning the 15k pilot XP that I needed to finish upgrading my UAVs. Now they're just as good as the MC UAVs. A whole 15 extra seconds of flight time when the enemy is too dumb to look up.

I know my cbill gain is horribly handicapped when I use these things, but I love popping UAVs and dropping artillery strikes on the enemy.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Haha! I finally finished earning the 15k pilot XP that I needed to finish upgrading my UAVs. Now they're just as good as the MC UAVs. A whole 15 extra seconds of flight time when the enemy is too dumb to look up.

I know my cbill gain is horribly handicapped when I use these things, but I love popping UAVs and dropping artillery strikes on the enemy.

A well placed UAV can outright win the match if your team capitalizes on the information. Being able to zip into the enemy team, pop a UAV and zip out again is my favorite thing about piloting lights as well.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

A well placed UAV can outright win the match if your team capitalizes on the information. Being able to zip into the enemy team, pop a UAV and zip out again is my favorite thing about piloting lights as well.

Because of this, whenever I see lights run in I always look skyward since nine times out of ten they pop a UAV.

One match this weekend a guy was ordering others to launch a uav, but never launched one himself. He then spent the second half of the match arguing against two people saying that not all pilots are rich like him. I pointed it out that he himself did not launch a uav from his timberwolf and he just yelled at me saying that he didn't want to waste his hard earned cash on a crappy pug. We won the game with a bunch of us flanking the enemy causing their side to collapse upon themselves.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I know PPCs in general aren't good weapons for most mechs, but I'll be damned if PPC kills aren't satisfying. (I was channeling Hydro Squeegee's Timberwolf with my heat gauge).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakUslatAwY

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I know PPCs in general aren't good weapons for most mechs, but I'll be damned if PPC kills aren't satisfying. (I was channeling Hydro Squeegee's Timberwolf with my heat gauge.

I do love me some PPCs. I run a mailer that sports 4 of them abd boy howdy is that fun.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I - oh. O-oh.
    0jAFrCm.jpg

I know I love you, MechWarrior Online, but this is a bit much to come back to after a month and a half of hiatus.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Given that you are one of our Elite Tipplers, I have absolutely no surprise that you're ranked accordingly.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I don't know how you are supposed to make PPCs work with Ghost Heat being what it is. I tried running a pair of them on a Timberwolf and the Hellbringer and its just impossible to deal with the damn heat even with 20+ DHS.

Is there a link for the kickstarter?

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    I don't know how you are supposed to make PPCs work with Ghost Heat being what it is. I tried running a pair of them on a Timberwolf and the Hellbringer and its just impossible to deal with the damn heat even with 20+ DHS.

Only for their site, no kickstarter link yet.

http://battletechgame.com

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015

They are too hot. The only way I made it work with the shadowcat is because 14 dhs gets the heat per alpha to a convenient 50%, and the small size, mobility, and ECM of the shadowcat lets me avoid direct confrontation and be the ghost of poptarts past.

Fortunately it is super useful in your average pug where both teams are passive and prefer hiding in cover. I just keep poking as my heat permits. If pressured, the 2x cerppc shadow rubs into trouble fast. I can get off 2-3 alphas in relatively short order, but I'm spent after that.

It racks up a good number of cbills . Each Cooldown cycle ends up counting as a "hit and run", so I rack up a bunch of those. Sometimes they count as flanks too.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    2 LPL worKS on the cat as well

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    It's up!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

$1000 pledge gets our merc emblem in the game!

Let's talk combining forces!

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Haha holy shit one of the high level tiers (4 digit $) already has a backer

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Not supposed to link Kickstarters, Hydro.

but I backed it at $50. Tempted to up it to $1000 to get the Oosik logo in :p

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    "That said, Shadowrun and BattleTech are very different games! For one thing, Shadowrunners like to hide behind cover, while ‘Mechs… squash cover."

Hah.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    15 minutes in and they've broken 115,000 dollars.
    I want to say that's insane, but I haven't followed many Kickstarters to know if it's insane or not.

But it seems insane.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I feel like I want to go in for the $275 level just to get the flight jacket. Doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    15 minutes in and they've broken 115,000 dollars.
    I want to say that's insane, but I haven't followed many Kickstarters to know if it's insane or not.

But it seems insane.

130 now, including multiple 4k pledges..yikes

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Alternately, the system got too hot and fucked itself.. so I dunno. But I need a new fan apparantly. Blerg.

I even have the blessing to build a new PC. Can't justify it though.

Dude. Listen to me. Get an i5 and a 270X. They're cheap as far as these things go and cyber Monday isn't far off if you're really trying to scrimp and scrape. You won't regret it and you'll be fine for other games (XCOM 2 babaaaaaay) as well.

Currently running i5 / 270x purchased last year

BF4 64players online has to be run at medium to guarantee 60 FPS at 1080p, and it's starting to show signs of age in a few other applications

It's still a great card, but you might want to future proof a bit

It should XCOM2 / Fallout 4 at 60fps/1080p/high

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I'm a bit reluctant to pledge via KS. I'm a bit saddened by the lack of a crowdfunding page on their actual website.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm in just at the $25 tier.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The jacket is a pretty damn nice idea, although the grognard in me wants to point out that your typical MechWarrior wears shorts, a T-shirt, and cooling vest at the most. Way too hot in those cockpits for jackets. I guess maybe the jacket could be in a survival package if they have to eject or their 'mech gets disabled.

I think I will be getting in at the $50 level, though. I can't realistically picture myself hanging a Great House flag in my residence even if I could pick which one I wanted. And while gaming T-shirts are one thing I cannot imagine going out in public wearing a patch-covered video game jacket because I am not the main character in Ernest Cline's Armada (thankfully, because Armada is fucking awful).

Gaslight on