As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yet another fine example of how Hollywood executives and writers manage to butcher Greek mythology

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Rhah wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Opportunity Knocks, another nice little early 90's comedy that slipped through the radar. A pleasant little Dana Carvey movie that looks like it was going to be the post SNL movie that jump started his acting career before Wayne's World.

Carvey's a conman, doing oddjob grifts to skirt by in Chicago, until he and his buddy stumble into an empty house in the wealthy part of town where a guy is away in India on business and it just so happens this house sitter cancels, leading Carvey to pretend to be this guy when the man's parents show up and assume he's the housesitter. So a case of mistaken identity, wooing the guy's sister (who was the lady in the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had to go to Amish country with), and dealing with the mobsters from his real life.

It's not a laugh out loud movie, and doesn't really have chuckles, but it's pleasant. Pleasant isn't really a thing anymore, because it's not hashtag worthy, but this is basically Carvey getting a chance to do all his impersonations, even a George Bush act, in one place as opposed to having a standup special. I mean, it sets out it's job of telling the story good enough, without trying too hard. It's forgettable but not bad.

I dislike seeing this movie when I open the guide because somehow my brain got its wires mixed up and almost EVERY time I think I get to see Jennifer Connelly riding a toy horse in a store, and as I hover over the movie it says Dana Carvey instead. Don't ask me why my brain can't remember that one is Career Opportunities and the other is Opportunity Knocks.
    OoG7OkJ.gif

Both are up on HBO now.

I've watched Career Opportunities before and had that toy horse scene memory burned into my head as a kid, but I also remember the lead guy being terrible at acting.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how Clash of the Titans can be such a dull, leaden film devoid of fun even in the most superficial terms?

I don't know how it got a sequel.

Wrath_of_the_Titans.jpg

The international market. That's who really gobbles up dull plodding pointless scriptless action flicks with lots of CGI.

Because spectacle doesn't need to be translated.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Europe was actually disapointed the titans didn't wipe out greece...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 will do that.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Yet another fine example of how Hollywood executives and writers manage to butcher Greek mythology

I would really, really, really like to see a good, modern Greek Myth movie. I liked Troy well enough, but it completely bailed on mythology and Gods and it had some unhealthy bits dragging it down ( but it did serve up a kick-ass Hector/Achilles fight). After that you've got Clash/Wrath and two different Hercules movies recently. Maybe I'm forgetting some others.

Am I silly to hope somebody gives this a real go and puts out a good product? C'mon, Hollywood, you love using old material!

• Options
    After recent events anything other than a Greek disaster movie probably won't sell.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I would really, really, really like to see a good, modern Greek Myth movie. I liked Troy well enough, but it completely bailed on mythology and Gods and it had some unhealthy bits dragging it down ( but it did serve up a kick-ass Hector/Achilles fight). After that you've got Clash/Wrath and two different Hercules movies recently. Maybe I'm forgetting some others.

Am I silly to hope somebody gives this a real go and puts out a good product? C'mon, Hollywood, you love using old material!

It won't be in Hollywood movie, it'd be on a premium channel tv show or mini-series.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Not really. They love to have Hades be the equivalent of Satan when he really isn't. All the gods have their moments of being pen ultimate evil but Hera, the "loving mother and queen " is generally the most spiteful and evil of them all.

A TV series with a different Greek story every episode could be a good premise.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Not really. They love to have Hades be the equivalent of Satan when he really isn't. All the gods have their moments of being pen ultimate evil but Hera, the "loving mother and queen " is generally the most spiteful and evil of them all.

A TV series with a different Greek story every episode could be a good premise.

Someone call HBO. That would be a fantastic HBO series.
    Although I would also love one with a comedy treatment and Zeus comically sticking his dick in everything.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Also Zeus loves tossing people so far it takes them days to hit the ground, he's basically the uncle Phil of the family.

• Options
    I had the most extraordinary experience making the film. When a dream is happening, it’s unlike anything you can ever imagine. Which is why, when the movie came out, it was more painful than anything you can imagine. I’m not going to spend a lot of time on that moment, because why do that? We don’t live in the past. I’m just bringing it up for a point, to tell you that 1995 was such a different time, where taking risks like that were not embraced. They were laughed at. They were shamed publicly. To be a young girl in the center of that was something that was quite difficult. But I found my own resiliency and my power and my confidence – not only through what I had to find out, but because of you guys.

• Options
    Look as a young man who showgirls was one of the only films that had a lot of nudity and I had access too... It's a shitty movie and really unsexy, so it wasn't a risk, it was just awful Elizabeth.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, look at the shit she gets just for making a bad movie. And at least it had nudity, lot of bad films don't even have that!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how Clash of the Titans can be such a dull, leaden film devoid of fun even in the most superficial terms?

You're referring to the remake, right?

Because otherwise it's pistols gorgon heads at dawn.
    Yup, the remake. I have to admit that I've never seen all of the original, just the occasional scene here and there.
    shryke wrote: »

Wrath_of_the_Titans.jpg

The international market. That's who really gobbles up dull plodding pointless scriptless action flicks with lots of CGI.

But even as spectacle goes, it's so utterly boring! Perhaps it's different on a big screen in 3D, but on our TV it looked like a half-assed, sort-of-Greek budget Lord of the Rings remake. The CGI is functional at best and lacks any flair. It's basically the Sam Worthington of CGI - except not, because it isn't even pretty.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    You don't need to get Greek mythology "right" in order to make an entertaining movie based on it.

Also, like most religions and myths, Greek mythology has been retold and reinterpreted lots of different times so there isn't a definitive version. Plus, there are plenty of ideas from Greek myths, and other religions/myths, in Christianity. The Greek gods are mentioned in the bible. I believe Revelations says that Hades will be cast into the lake of fire.

As for Hera, the popular conception of her as an extremely vengeful and evil goddess may be due in large part to the influence of Homer, similar to how popular conception of Satan today is influenced mostly by Milton and Dante.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yup, the remake. I have to admit that I've never seen all of the original, just the occasional scene here and there.

The original Clash of the Titans is less good than Jason and the Argonauts, but still worth a punt. Laurence Olivier as Zeus, Ursula Andress and Maggie Smith as goddesses, Burgess Meredith essentially playing the same role he had in Rocky and Harry Hamlin being handsome but not very good as Perseus. Big plusses are the imperious bearing of the gods (Olivier as Zeus because of course he is), Ray Harryhausen's glorious stop-motion animation and a general air of fun that seems absent entirely from the plodding remake. Also Andromeda is quite dishy.

But if you haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts, see that first, if only for the skeleton fight and Nigel Green as Hercules.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Wrath_of_the_Titans.jpg

I couldn't believe how dull the sequel was, which is saying something when you take into account the remake.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Bogart wrote: »
    The original Clash of the Titans is less good than Jason and the Argonauts, but still worth a punt. Laurence Olivier as Zeus, Ursula Andress and Maggie Smith as goddesses, Burgess Meredith essentially playing the same role he had in Rocky and Harry Hamlin being handsome but not very good as Perseus. Big plusses are the imperious bearing of the gods (Olivier as Zeus because of course he is), Ray Harryhausen's glorious stop-motion animation and a general air of fun that seems absent entirely from the plodding remake. Also Andromeda is quite dishy.

But if you haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts, see that first, if only for the skeleton fight and Nigel Green as Hercules.
    I've seen the skeleton fight - but only as a clip. Having checked Harryhausen's IMDB page, I'm not sure I've seen *any* of his films. Perhaps one of the Sindbad movies, but that's it, unfortunately.

Definitely curious about the original Clash, though I'm not sure I'd ever overcome the feeling that (Veronica Mars spoiler dead ahead!)
    Perseus will grow up to kill Lilly Kane.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    A couple of the Sinbad movies are great fun. The one with Tom Baker, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, is probably the best. See Sinbad fight a six-armed living statue!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I see they are continuing the fine JRPG tradition of having awful music that not only sounds like it was made on a Casio keyboard, but is also utterly inappropriate in tone for what is happening on screen.

Rad visuals though.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    its a slightly modified version of the original ff4 theme

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

"gee, it's a shame he's a bad guy"

If you said that out loud in the theater or with anyone around you that had not seen the show before, You are going to the special hell.

I guess I'm safe then, because it was a mental comment

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ted 2

Still, it gets the laughs when needed, Patrick Warburton and a new character steal all the scenes they're in with some legitimately good pop culture references, and will give you the laughs you need to make up for the dumb stuff. Just don't go in expecting it to be the same as the first one.

I don't know if you're saying a new character to not spoil the surprise but those scenes at comic con made the entire film for me. The audacity of The Tick and
    Worf

walking around comic con dressed as themselves slyly bullying nerds is probably one of the greatest things MacFarlane has ever made happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

You're referring to the remake, right?

Because otherwise it's pistols gorgon heads at dawn.
    shryke wrote: »

Wrath_of_the_Titans.jpg

But even as spectacle goes, it's so utterly boring! Perhaps it's different on a big screen in 3D, but on our TV it looked like a half-assed, sort-of-Greek budget Lord of the Rings remake. The CGI is functional at best and lacks any flair. It's basically the Sam Worthington of CGI - except not, because it isn't even pretty.

That's not entirely true - Gemma Arterton is there for her paycheck.

gemma-arterton-in-clash-of-the-titans-0-ms.jpg

• Options

Aesthetic, yes - but also so boring in this film. She must be the seventh- or eighth-most boring character in the film.

Seriously - even Liam "Davos Seaworthy" Cunningham is 99% boring in this film! *close to hyperventilating*

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Bogart wrote: »

I've seen the skeleton fight - but only as a clip. Having checked Harryhausen's IMDB page, I'm not sure I've seen *any* of his films. Perhaps one of the Sindbad movies, but that's it, unfortunately.

Definitely curious about the original Clash, though I'm not sure I'd ever overcome the feeling that (Veronica Mars spoiler dead ahead!)
    Perseus will grow up to kill Lilly Kane.

Man, that needs to be fixed ASAP. Harryhausen movies are so much fun.

...and quite a few of the monster fights stand up surprising well today, thanks to most of those scenes being filmed with the actors fighting stuntmen that are replaced with the monster in editing. Duh thing today (at least, most of the time...), but you can find so many non-Harryhausen movies using claymation at the time that didn't, and it's so obvious when you see it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Aesthetic, yes - but also so boring in this film. She must be the seventh- or eighth-most boring character in the film.

Seriously - even Liam "Davos Seaworthy" Cunningham is 99% boring in this film! *close to hyperventilating*

IIRC everyone felt sorry for Medusa on this forum. She made an impression.

• Options
    There have been four successful versions before this one, so why would I fight the process? I just went and gave to the best of my ability in the scenario I was in. Now, was it the best scenario for me? The best at what I’m good at? Fuck, no. Not having any information about what the heck is going on doesn’t empower any artists to be at the best of their ability. I trusted Tom Cruise, [director] Chris McQuarrie and the studio, and I went with it.

• Options
    There were two successful versions before MI 5, two.

• Options
    Well technically 3, I mean people hated the second one but I believe it made money.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That's the second movie Renner's said he hasn't a clue what's going on. The first was Avengers.

• Options
    I think Renner just doesn't give a fuck. He had a great answer to people thinking he's gay "so what I'm not proving shit to you, and its not even a negative thing to be."

Also in tragic celebrity news Garneck have divorced. Batman can't use his capitol one card anymore.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This whole thing with successful actors basically shit talking huge movies they've been in that have paid them boatloads of money is... weird. I guess it's happened for decades but it seems very common these days, but to me it just reeks of biting the hand that feeds you. Older, more renowned actors can get away with it, but doing it before the movie even releases comes off as classless. I like Renner a lot, too.

Butcher on
  • Options
    I don't see that quote (unless there are others?) as shit talking. He's mainly just saying the movie doesn't challenge him as an actor, but he still gave it his all. If anything he'd be accused of being too honest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Butcher wrote: »
    This whole thing with successful actors basically shit talking huge movies they've been in that have paid them boatloads of money is... weird. I guess it's happened for decades but it seems very common these days, but to me it just reeks of biting the hand that feeds you. Older, more renowned actors can get away with it, but doing it before the movie even releases comes off as classless. I like Renner a lot, too.

That doesn't bother me, but I'd like for the movie to be made before shitting on it. Unless it's obviously a train wreck, like Catwoman was.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan but I do believe he's telling the truth about a story where he made fun of a movie Garner did for one of his actor hangout things, and she basically forbade Affleck from talking to him since then.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan but I do believe he's telling the truth about a story where he made fun of a movie Garner did for one of his actor hangout things, and she basically forbade Affleck from talking to him since then.

Oh wow I didn't hear about this. Maybe now Affleck can talk to him again since they're getting divorced.

This discussion has been closed.