As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Badges Cancelled

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Were you trying to sell your tickets? Cause that's usually a big no no lol.

PAX has no way to tell if the person buying the tickets are going to resell or not. Honestly, a lot of the scalpers you see on craigs list and ebay only sell 4 sets of passes.

• Options
    hideyoshikazehideyoshikaze Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    Were you trying to sell your tickets? Cause that's usually a big no no lol.

PAX has no way to tell if the person buying the tickets are going to resell or not. Honestly, a lot of the scalpers you see on craigs list and ebay only sell 4 sets of passes.

Don't know what to say then. I bought 4 sets of badges and mine got canceled. Never tried to sell them or anything. Got them for our group that's going. We even have a Facebook group page setup for this as well.

• Options
    theabysstheabyss Spokane WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I have been emailing back and forth with reed expo regarding a recent email I received about my PAX prime tickets being cancelled. During the fiasco of ordering tickets with the limits only allowing 2 sets at a time I ended up with to many tickets. I emailed reed expo back in May and tried to give back the extras and they told me that my orders were fine. So I surprised some friends and told them I was able to get extras. Now I am told all of my orders were being cancelled. Now I am out BYOC, hotel, flight and PAX 2015.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Lobster70Lobster70 Registered User regular
    I purchased 4 Saturday-only badges on the day they became available. I didn't do anything weird, I just got in the queue and placed the order while texting with friends elsewhere who are also going. Single family home, no other purchases for our address, IP, CC, anything, but I was flagged and refunded yesterday without warning. I've been attending PAX since 2009. So I emailed the PAXquestions address and received this response:
    Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, it appears our systems found you were in violation of our ticket purchasing policy, which is designed to reduce the resale of badges (also known as scalping) and instead get badges into the hands of actual consumers at face value. We apologize for the inconvenience.

That's it? I still don't understand how 4 Sat badges violates the ticket purchasing policy. I'm not selling any badges, each one is for a specific person. I cannot imagine what would have caused my purchase to be flagged, but the response I've received is dismal customer service. Why did they not at least contact me before simply canceling and refunding? How can I prove that I'm not a scalper and that "actual consumers" will be using them, just as my passes were used in past years?

Way to disappoint four loyal PAX fans and gamers, guys, awesome job.

• Options
    BrokunnBrokunn Registered User regular
    Oh my god... this was the most recent response from them:
    Hi Nick
    Since the tickets were found on a site to resell them, we cannot reinstate the order. Sorry.

Thanks,

Customer Service

And my reply:
    This is totally false! Can you provide me with any details on how you came to that conclusion? Don't you have some appeal process in place I can go through? I can provide plenty of information on our group, prior pictures of us at PAX, ID's etc to prove we'll all be attending.

As a long-time fan of PAX, I hope you can understand how ludicrous this situation feels for me. I feel like I'm being punished for enjoying the venue and being supportive all these years. I'm crushed.

• Options
    PlanetsideCosplayPlanetsideCosplay Aaron Thompson / Last Oryx Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I bought tickets for myself (and my friends) and my roommate bought tickets for himself (and his friends). I'm a cosplayer. He's a developer. We run in very different circles. But, we use the same address. We did the same thing last year without problems. This year, they cancelled my order.

• Options
    = / I wish I could get at least get a response from them lol

• Options
    theabysstheabyss Spokane WA Registered User regular
    If people are unable to get resolution on legit ticket purchases, what are they to do with nonrefundable costs? I know I have a flight, hotel, and BYOC tickets. Flight $500 round trip, hotel $250, and $40 BYOC. These cost are not cheap. Class action law suit?

• Options
    SpeedRacer20SpeedRacer20 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So the limit this year was four BADGES per person? Since they didn't offer a 4-Day badge, that meant at the very most a person could buy was one set of four single-day badges? If that was even possible that is. I remember when it took months for PAX Prime to sell out, now it sells out in under an hour. Luckily living locally means the closer the event the more desperate people are to sell that can't go and the eBay flippers get really desperate to sell since there is very little time to get the badges to their buyers.

The nice thing is the Convention Center in downtown Seattle is looking at expanding in size, will take a few years probably but that would mean a bigger PAX to accommodate more fans.

SpeedRacer20 on
  • Options
    PacketdancerPacketdancer SeattleRegistered User regular
    So the limit this year was four BADGES per person? Since they didn't offer a 4-Day badge, that meant at the very most a person could buy was one set of four single-day badges?

The terminology's a little confusing, but the answer I got from customer service yesterday was that the limit was four badges per type per person. So, though the limit is 16 badges from a practical standpoint, you can have no more than 4 of any one type of badge. So you can buy 16 passes if they are four complete sets, but you cannot buy 16 Saturday passes.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    So the limit this year was four BADGES per person? Since they didn't offer a 4-Day badge, that meant at the very most a person could buy was one set of four single-day badges? If that was even possible that is. I remember when it took months for PAX Prime to sell out, now it sells out in under an hour. Luckily living locally means the closer the event the more desperate people are to sell that can't go and the eBay flippers get really desperate to sell since there is very little time to get the badges to their buyers.

No, the limit was four of each type of badge. So 4 of each day would be 16 total badges possible.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DoompantsDoompants Registered User regular
    It appears the majority of us are here with our fingers crossed because multiple people ordered within their limit, but share an address. Barring, of course, anyone who was found to be listing tickets for sale, the rest of us would just like a clarification on whether or not we are out of luck simply because we share addresses. I have to admit, I think it's pretty unfair for a shared address to be the only reason to cancel ticket orders otherwise made within the policy of "4 sets per person" by separate adults with separate credit cards. No other way for our family to do this. :(

And of course, hoping that our customer service emails are being seriously looked at, and not just given the "Our system found you were in violation" form letter. Please and thank you!

• Options
    mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Granted, I'm glad my order wasn't cancelled, but I got this email for my order of 3 Fri, 3 Sat, 3 Sun badges (so 9 total):
    Good Morning,

Your orders for PAX Prime 2015 badges were flagged in our system as an over purchase. We will need you to come onsite with your Photo ID to pick up your badges. We will not be mailing them. If you paid for expedited shipping, those charges will be refunded back to your credit card this week.

Show Policy:
    PLEASE NOTE: In order to keep things fair, we currently have badge limits of 4 per person (per badge type). If we determine that you are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately.

Thanks,

PAX Customer Service

I'm confused how this was an over purchase? And honestly it wouldn't be an issue at all (having to pick them up) but when I placed my order my card was declined and frozen (thanks BoA) and BoA said I'd be able to use my card again in 15 minutes but I only had the badges in my cart for another 9 minutes so I had to call my mom and ask her to let me use her credit card... I really don't want my mom to have to go pick them up :(
    but I guess it could be worse... hopefully pax_questions emails me back with good news...

• Options
    Govt CheezeGovt Cheeze Registered User new member
    mljonir wrote: »
    Granted, I'm glad my order wasn't cancelled, but I got this email for my order of 3 Fri, 3 Sat, 3 Sun badges (so 9 total):
    Good Morning,

Your orders for PAX Prime 2015 badges were flagged in our system as an over purchase. We will need you to come onsite with your Photo ID to pick up your badges. We will not be mailing them. If you paid for expedited shipping, those charges will be refunded back to your credit card this week.

Show Policy:
    PLEASE NOTE: In order to keep things fair, we currently have badge limits of 4 per person (per badge type). If we determine that you are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately.

Thanks,

PAX Customer Service

I'm confused how this was an over purchase? And honestly it wouldn't be an issue at all (having to pick them up) but when I placed my order my card was declined and frozen (thanks BoA) and BoA said I'd be able to use my card again in 15 minutes but I only had the badges in my cart for another 9 minutes so I had to call my mom and ask her to let me use her credit card... I really don't want my mom to have to go pick them up :(
    but I guess it could be worse... hopefully pax_questions emails me back with good news...

I got this same email, and I only ordered 3 Monday badged for me, my buddy and my brother. I was baffled at how that could be flagged as an over purchase. It didn't occur to me, until I read this email that I had also used my mom's card (as it was a deal made to bring my brother). Now I suppose it makes sense that I used her card with a different address to send them to my house which may raise a flag, although I don't know that I would classify it as an over purchase.... perhaps a billing irregularity if that was indeed was raised the alarm. In any case, I have no issues with presenting photo ID at will call...and my heart goes out to those legitimate orders that were cancelled. After reading this horror forum Im hoping for no further mix ups and (knock on wood) being downgraded to cancelled.

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Maybe someone didn't get the memo of 4 per day instead of the original 2 per day... Thought Robert took care of that??

• Options
    Good Morning,

Show Policy:

Thanks,

PAX Customer Service

I got this same email, and I only ordered 3 Monday badged for me, my buddy and my brother. I was baffled at how that could be flagged as an over purchase. It didn't occur to me, until I read this email that I had also used my mom's card (as it was a deal made to bring my brother). Now I suppose it makes sense that I used her card with a different address to send them to my house which may raise a flag, although I don't know that I would classify it as an over purchase.... perhaps a billing irregularity if that was indeed was raised the alarm. In any case, I have no issues with presenting photo ID at will call...and my heart goes out to those legitimate orders that were cancelled. After reading this horror forum Im hoping for no further mix ups and (knock on wood) being downgraded to cancelled.

You know, that's so weird. I didn't even realize that I still had the delivery address as my address... I wonder if I can just ask them to change it to the billing address because I'd rather it get sent to my mom's anyways... That's strange though that that's why it's flagged... Not everyone's billing address is their shipping address.. I guess you just can't have the name on the card be different than the name they're being shipped to..

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I feel for ya, Brokunn (and others) - I'm starting to suspect that there may have been a data breach somewhere in the system. How else could so many of us have completely normal orders within the limits that are mysteriously flagged? I can guarantee without even a sliver of doubt that my confirmation number was never shared anywhere with anyone. It was sent to me in an email I didn't look at again after May 7, until now. My email account is secured with 2-factor authentication, in an app with a PIN, on a phone with a PIN. So there is simply no Earthly way that it could have been breached on my end. That tells me something between the ticket company and my email must have been compromised, if indeed my exact confirmation number was found somewhere online attempting to scalp tickets. But yes, I'd like to see proof of that.

Also, would we be going to this level of passionate pleas if we didn't want to tickets SO WE CAN GO TO PAX PRIME?

The feeling of unjust punishment is really aggravating, and the "you can only contact PAX support via email" only adds to the frustration. It also completely goes against the spirit of PAX. Maybe they've gotten too commercial. I'm still hoping for a positive resolution, but my confidence is waning. :-(

Lobster70 on
  • Options
    PacketdancerPacketdancer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Lobster70 wrote: »
    Also, would we be going to this level of passionate pleas if we didn't want to tickets SO WE CAN GO TO PAX PRIME?

Playing devil's advocate here, it's certainly conceivable a scalper (watching their ticket sales going away) could be pleading pretty hard too! So while I get what you're trying to say, "would we be appealing this if we didn't want the tickets to attend?" seems like the wrong question since the answer could well be "Yes."

In other words, I really doubt "but we are pleading, so must be innocent" is really sufficient proof for the ticketing folks, any more than "but I said I was innocent!" is sufficient proof for most juries. ;)

• Options
    Good point. How would one prove a negative, such as this? If there's a way to prove innocence, I'm ready.

As for the passion, I guess I assumed some asshat scalper wouldn't waste time pleading a case or might be worried about being caught.

• Options
    Playing devil's advocate here, it's certainly conceivable a scalper (watching their ticket sales going away) could be pleading pretty hard too! So while I get what you're trying to say, "would we be appealing this if we didn't want the tickets to attend?" seems like the wrong question since the answer could well be "Yes."

In other words, I really doubt "but we are pleading, so must be innocent" is really sufficient proof for the ticketing folks, any more than "but I said I was innocent!" is sufficient proof for most juries. ;)

Except I and every person in my group would be more than happy to show up in person with identification to collect our tickets; scalpers wouldn't/couldn't do that. Sadly, customer support hasn't given us that option, or any options at all. At this point, it feels like they've condemned us as being scalpers with no realistic proof, and no ability to appeal their decision.

• Options
    KeibiKeibi Registered User regular
    As with many others, my purchase was flagged. Luckily, it was only flagged for Will Call pickup and not cancelled outright, which I am of course grateful for. However, the card in question was used to purchase both my boyfriend's tickets and my own because I had the money in my checking account at the time and he did not (we expected the tickets to go on sale later in the month). I bought two sets of tickets and he bought three sets of tickets. The delivery address and names on the orders are both different because he lives in Oregon and I live in California (we were both at University together when the tickets went on sale). I freaked out because that's technically five sets of tickets on one card, so I e-mailed PAX questions to make sure that they knew that it was two separate people on the orders, not just me trying to scam the system. They said since the delivery addresses were different, there would be no problem. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

What I'm especially concerned about is the fact that the card that we used to buy the tickets had to be cancelled about a month and a half after the transaction because of fraud. In fact, I left the bank entirely because of issues I was having with them. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I will have to produce the card that was used in the purchase at Will Call? I won't be able to show it because the bank took my card and disposed of it when I closed my account with them.

I really hope this will all be sorted out for everyone, and thank you in advance for any advice that can be given!

~ Keibi

• Options
    Keibi wrote: »
    As with many others, my purchase was flagged. Luckily, it was only flagged for Will Call pickup and not cancelled outright, which I am of course grateful for. However, the card in question was used to purchase both my boyfriend's tickets and my own because I had the money in my checking account at the time and he did not (we expected the tickets to go on sale later in the month). I bought two sets of tickets and he bought three sets of tickets. The delivery address and names on the orders are both different because he lives in Oregon and I live in California (we were both at University together when the tickets went on sale). I freaked out because that's technically five sets of tickets on one card, so I e-mailed PAX questions to make sure that they knew that it was two separate people on the orders, not just me trying to scam the system. They said since the delivery addresses were different, there would be no problem. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

What I'm especially concerned about is the fact that the card that we used to buy the tickets had to be cancelled about a month and a half after the transaction because of fraud. In fact, I left the bank entirely because of issues I was having with them. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I will have to produce the card that was used in the purchase at Will Call? I won't be able to show it because the bank took my card and disposed of it when I closed my account with them.

I really hope this will all be sorted out for everyone, and thank you in advance for any advice that can be given!

~ Keibi

They told me I would just need my email confirmation and photo ID. Since I had to use my mom's card and obviously won't have that with me on hand.
    You should definitely double check with them to be safe.

• Options
    Ughhh it's been two days and so far no one has emailed me back lol

• Options
    Ughhh it's been two days and so far no one has emailed me back lol
    What email did you email? I emailed both paxquestions@reedexpo.com and
    pax_questions@paxsite.com. the paxsite was the one that responded to me.

• Options
    Thanks. I emailed two different ones lol.

• Options
    yoda24hoursyoda24hours Registered User regular
    What email did you email? I emailed both paxquestions@reedexpo.com and
    pax_questions@paxsite.com. the paxsite was the one that responded to me.

Oops, thanks for this I just Checked the PAX Questions e-mail I've been contacting with no response and it was all to @reedexpo.com.

Ugh.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    theabyss wrote: »
    If people are unable to get resolution on legit ticket purchases, what are they to do with nonrefundable costs? I know I have a flight, hotel, and BYOC tickets. Flight $500 round trip, hotel $250, and $40 BYOC. These cost are not cheap. Class action law suit?

If I was you I'd be mailing images of these items as part of your appeal. A nonrefundable ticket seems like pretty good proof to me.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I sent this email in. Do you guys think it's enough proof? I included my non-refundable plane ticket as well. And as much info I could think of.
    Or should I send anything else in that could help me with my appeal process?
    I also sent in my Photo-ID and credit that I used to buy the tickets as well.

hideyoshikaze on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Unfortunately none of us here can know what the folks at pax_questions think is the right set of information.

• Options
    krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a trend. Ordering 5 sets of badges got "We'll let you keep them but you need to pick them up in person"

Presumably 5 to x got "we're cancelling your orders over the limit"

and X+1 got "We're cancelling everything".

• Options
    GreyGarouGreyGarou Registered User regular
    I purchased passes for me and my friends. The person I rent from, same address, purchased passes for him and his friends. My Friday and Sunday passes were cancelled and refunded leaving me with only Monday passes. I explained this in an email. The response I received this AM was:
    "Hi,

Yes, orders were flagged if there were multiple orders using duplicate information.

Thanks,

Customer Service"

So many people have been negatively affected. In previous years we endured the crashed ticket system fiasco. Some of my friends have already given up on PAX. This is completely unacceptable. I'm taking this to the news channels depending on the response I get today.

• Options
    Last year only 1% were affected. This year 3% were affected. I looked it up. Barely anyone. Last year that legit bought tickets were affected at all. This year a lot of legit people got affected and getting bad answers. I still have yet to receive an answer from them lol

• Options
    GreyGarou wrote: »
    ... This is completely unacceptable. I'm taking this to the news channels depending on the response I get today.

Agreed. I think the time for us to be patient and wait for a response is over. I totally understand if they're a little swamped, but if they want us to sit tight while they sort stuff out they need to send out a tweet or a blanket email to everyone affected.

Tomorrow I'm grabbing my pitchfork.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Brokunn wrote: »
    ... This is completely unacceptable. I'm taking this to the news channels depending on the response I get today.

Agreed. I think the time for us to be patient and wait for a response is over. I totally understand if they're a little swamped, but if they want us to sit tight while they sort stuff out they need to send out a tweet or a blanket email to everyone affected.

I don't know what you mean by this. But doing it on this forum is probably a really good way to get banned and further hurt your chances of remediation.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I think you have to understand that they aren't an office of 100 people; PA itself is tiny and the event organizing company (the name escapes me at the moment) is not incredibly large either. Each question needs research and time so I can imagine they are overwhelmed and need a little patience on the consumer side. I know it must be frustrating, but I would take a deep breath and have faith in them. I don't think a crusade is either necessary or helpful.

Keroan on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »

I think you have to understand that they aren't an office of 100 people; PA itself is tiny and the event organizing company (the name escapes me at the moment) is not incredibly large either. Each question needs research and time so I can imagine they are overwhelmed and need a little patience on the consumer side. I know it must be frustrating, but I would take a deep breath and have faith in them.
    Yes, 3% of 80,000 (nobody really knows) is 2400. If each incident covers 4 people, that is still 600 cases hammering on them for answers. If each case takes only 20 minutes to fully resolve that is 200 man hours.

• Options
    Keroan wrote: »
    I think you have to understand that they aren't an office of 100 people; PA itself is tiny and the event organizing company (the name escapes me at the moment) is not incredibly large either. Each question needs research and time so I can imagine they are overwhelmed and need a little patience on the consumer side. I know it must be frustrating, but I would take a deep breath and have faith in them. I don't think a crusade is either necessary or helpful.

Right right right. They're busy. I get it. I said that. What I also said is that all they needed to do was respond with something like:

"Hey everyone! We're looking into these issues on a case by case basis and it will take some time. Please be patient."

Instead, what I got was a very vague response that neither confirmed or denied I had any further recourse:
    Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, it appears our systems found you were in violation of our ticket purchasing policy, which is designed to reduce the resale of badges (also known as scalping) and instead get badges into the hands of actual consumers at face value. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Followed by a blatant lie:
    Since the tickets were found on a site to resell them, we cannot reinstate the order. Sorry.

How is that suppose to make me want to wait around patiently?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That really sucks if it's a mistake, but I think calling it a lie is reaching and implies some nefarious intent that I have a pretty hard time believing would have a reason behind it.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I understand the frustration but I would reply with any information or proof that you have. They are trying their hardest and I doubt they are actively trying to cheat anyone. It would not be in their best interest to do so.

Keroan on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That really sucks if it's a mistake, but I think calling it a lie is reaching and implies some nefarious intent that I have a pretty hard time believing would have a reason behind it.

Yeah, I guess that's what makes it so frustrating. It was hurtful when I read it and it just blew my mind to think that they would even have the ability to accuse me of it? I mean, how? I'm a roughly average intelligence person, and I can't really fathom any way they could justifiably tie an eBay or Craigslist ad or whatever back to me without it being 100% conjecture?

I'm usually a pretty calm person, but this whole thing is making my blood boil, especially after that accusation. I want to be patient and wait to see if this can be resolved, but I also don't want to just wait around until they decide to resell the reclaimed tickets and then be totally out of luck because I didn't act.