As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    I like the "who got banned and why" thread as it cuts down on a fair amount of "Wait, what happened to so and so?" posts.

I do not like clicking on someone's profile and seeing all their infractions / jailings since it seems a bit stigma-y.

I'm meh about seeing infraction history on profiles, because I don't care who got infracted for what months or years ago and can't even fathom why someone would, but I absolutely want to see the in thread notifications back.

I asked Tube about this specifically and it's a technical issue and they're working on it.

see, the thread is useful!

i am big fan of thread!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I've certainly considered requesting a ban before when I was struggling with classes but being banned wouldn't stop me from just reading stuff on the forum, and I can certainly waste many, many hours just reading without posting so ultimately it would all come down to willpower and the ability to turn the computer off.

I get done with dinner generally by about 9:15, maybe earlier if I don't go biking/skating/doing some free weights on a given night

if I manage to make myself close the forums and get to playing vidjas/other things I plan to do with the evening before 1am it's a good night :P

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Gasp! From reading Tube's ultra secret blog I have discovered that he keeps trolls as pets and unleashes them on the community for his amusement!

illuminati

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The troll will then use their proxy alt to scrupulously follow the rules, confident that they have outsmarted you. As long as they’re smart enough to keep hiding their identity, you may as well let them. There is more than one user on Penny Arcade with a secret identity that everyone on the staff is aware of, but since said identity leaves results in them behaving in an exemplary fashion we’re all perfectly willing to let them believe we’ve been hoodwinked.

:P

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Neco wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Also, no one in D&D that I can think of is anti-feminist.

Once again we have a question of degrees.

I don't know if any regulars are, but it seems that whenever a thread comes up, people would end up coming out of the woodwork.

There are some, for lack of a better term, single-issue posters who otherwise will post in G&T about League of Legends or whatever but as soon as they catch wind about D&D having a thread about feminism they will don their fedora and run the fuck over here to opine about what women really need to do

OH! Not really topical at all, but: I saw an actual fedora nerd the yesterday, as I was stepping outside work.

I pray to Shaft that kid wasn't dressed like that for an interview.

This is an important thing to me because, while I'm definitely a nerd, I stand by the fedora if applied correctly to the correct person. Opie yesterday was not the correct person.

Topically, I have a nagging fear that I'm on, like... the entirety of D&D's ignore list.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    woot that's all done

thanks for being interesting while I chewed through that pile of paper [chat]

I am super thrilled about the news on the house. the inspection found a problem in the sewer line and I was worried about whether they would balk on that but the sellers agreed to fix it

We had this thing done where they run a camera on a cable down the sewer line all the way to the connection with the pipes owned by the city (since the house owner is responsible for any repairs up to that point). Damn was that worth the money.

also now I have a video of my future poop removal pipe

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Gasp! From reading Tube's ultra secret blog I have discovered that he keeps trolls as pets and unleashes them on the community for his amusement!

illuminati

Nah man, it's the papacy that's running everything.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Topically, I have a nagging fear that I'm on, like... the entirety of D&D's ignore list.

Me too, Hi5!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I don't know if any regulars are, but it seems that whenever a thread comes up, people would end up coming out of the woodwork.

There are some, for lack of a better term, single-issue posters who otherwise will post in G&T about League of Legends or whatever but as soon as they catch wind about D&D having a thread about feminism they will don their fedora and run the fuck over here to opine about what women really need to do

OH! Not really topical at all, but: I saw an actual fedora nerd the yesterday, as I was stepping outside work.

This is an important thing to me because, while I'm definitely a nerd, I stand by the fedora if applied correctly to the correct person. Opie yesterday was not the correct person.

Just send everyone a PM, it will bounce if you're ignored and is guaranteed to not annoy anyone.

Coinage on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I'd never ignore you, Gim.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Local news story: "Why is Wildfire season coming so early?"

Because we had a dry winter and a dry spring, sillies.

Also people like to pretend burn bans are just suggestions.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Just send everyone a PM, it will bounce if you're ignored and is guaranteed to not annoy anyone.

Lel

I am nothing if not a gorgeous brown study in insecurity. I think I shan't borrow trouble on that level.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Me too, Hi5!

Gim, you've suggested films to me that I didn't know existed and my life is richer for having seen. I always listen to you.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The troll will then use their proxy alt to scrupulously follow the rules, confident that they have outsmarted you. As long as they’re smart enough to keep hiding their identity, you may as well let them. There is more than one user on Penny Arcade with a secret identity that everyone on the staff is aware of, but since said identity leaves results in them behaving in an exemplary fashion we’re all perfectly willing to let them believe we’ve been hoodwinked.

Don't tell Tube I'm lorc plsthx.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I'd never ignore you, Gim.

Likewise, my good ronya! Your posts are oft fascinating/informative and you are good dog people dogple.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Local news story: "Why is Wildfire season coming so early?"

Because we had a dry winter and a dry spring, sillies.

Also people like to pretend burn bans are just suggestions.

my sister is up in Fairbanks Alaska and apparently that whole state is a tinderbox right now. Already fires are getting bad.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    casual wrote:
    is the KKK actually an illegal organisation?

is it a crime to be a member?

Completely and totally legal to be a member of a hate group in America.

Legal to march in parades carrying hateful banners dressed in hateful costume.

NOT legal to light crosses on fire in people's yards or lynch someone.

Much like saying nDONG, that's no longer polite.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

I have known who at least two of these dudes were

One of them was a w_h alt and the mods knew damn well he was w_h and allowed him to continue the charade as long as he behaved and we all just operated under the shared lie that he wasn't w_h

i don't remember if he just stopped posting or he got up to his old tricks but I don't know if he's still around

Pony on
  • Options
    I actually want a sweet-ass Blackula-style painting made in my likeness.

BLACKULA POSTERS FOR MY PEOPLE

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

this is gim right

• Options
    I will neither confirm not deny that I have been spending a fair amount of time on my minecraft server choosing which bees to crossbreed with which

in order to create super bees

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Me too, Hi5!

Gim, you've suggested films to me that I didn't know existed and my life is richer for having seen. I always listen to you.

Aw shucks, thank you sir. I hope we have another Instant Watch thread this year so I might infect more people with my film school lunacy.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Me too, Hi5!

By the same token, who even knows the dude who recommended The Love Guru. Not me!

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    like have you ever seen gim in the same room?

thought not

• Options
    like have you ever seen gim in the same room?

thought not

Well one of his legs are both the same.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Todagoinbelie

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

I was just thinking the other day how weirdly fast the transition was from "Oblivion Horse Armor LoL" to "DLC is normal and everyone accepts it"

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Me too, Hi5!

Aw shucks, thank you sir. I hope we have another Instant Watch thread this year so I might infect more people with my film school lunacy.

I'm thinking July.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    By the same token, who even knows the dude who recommended The Love Guru. Not me!

I do. It's on the list of injuries I will not forgive.

• Options

this is gim right

Japanese whaling is glorious!

<.<

>.>

I mean.

wMbi9fQl.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (extended cut) with my stepdad the other day and after awhile he just paused it and turned to me. "Dan, I don't remember any of these scenes, are you sure we're watching the right movie?"

So I explained what extended cut meant.

And then annoyed him by humming all the musical cues when they turned up.

Also, if you ever listen to the dude listing all the crimes Tuco is being hanged for, it's hilarious.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

One of them was a w_h alt and the mods knew damn well he was w_h and allowed him to continue the charade as long as he behaved and we all just operated under the shared lie that he wasn't w_h

i don't remember if he just stopped posting or he got up to his old tricks but I don't know if he's still around

Well this alt never went on a forum rampage against me so he must have been a changed man.

• Options

I was just thinking the other day how weirdly fast the transition was from "Oblivion Horse Armor LoL" to "DLC is normal and everyone accepts it"

2006: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Horse Armor for $2.50 - GAMING'S GREATEST CONTROVERSY

2011: Saints Row: The Third - Cheat Code DLC for $3.50 - NOBODY FUCKING CARES

Gamers

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hmm still pretty torn on weather I like a certain aspect of Arkham Knight or not, otherwise Batmobile aside it's a fine game it seems.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    off-topic musing re: Charleston thread
    on one hand, I've put forth strong views about Reconstruction that I got some pushback for (that in general the brutality of initial Radical measures are whitewashed, and yet that it was necessary and the eventual failure of Radicalism merely extended the mess for another century; that these are linked problems - if you fail to embrace the extent of federal authority in the past, you are more likely to recoil from it when it is advisable in the present, and you will fail to recognize a rhetoric of resisting federal tyranny in its historical context)

on the other hand, I'm most interested in the pushback and I'm more likely to get interesting counterarguments when threads are buzzing about Waco and Bundy ranch (i.e., reflexively anti-federal) than about Charleston. hmm.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

2006: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Horse Armor for $2.50 - GAMING'S GREATEST CONTROVERSY

2011: Saints Row: The Third - Cheat Code DLC for $3.50 - NOBODY FUCKING CARES

Gamers

Bullshit becomes standard practice if you do it enough.

Remember EVE and its $70 Monocle?

• Options

Well this alt never went on a forum rampage against me so he must have been a changed man.

He kinda was!

He PM'd me to personally apologize for being rude to me in the past and we had a perfectly civil conversation about religion and stuff

He really did seem like he was trying to change his ways

I wonder what happened to him

I don't even remember the name of his alt so I couldn't tell you

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Good morning.

The police twitter did not mention catching a drunk driver easily identifiable as the one I called about, but it also doesn't mention a lot of stuff in my experience. Which is annoying because I'm suuper curious if they got the guy. The police car was only seconds behind.

Although if he didn't get caught at least he'll get some shit for ruining the hubcaps on mom's toyota.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.