As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    As I walked past the breakroom TV, the BBC/CNN lady said "Obama said the United States Government will no longer victimize the families of kidnap victims"

I either misheard, or missed the context of that line, because it makes no sense as written.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    gamestop is doing a thing where trading in a 360 or ps3 will give you $150 towards a new xbone or ps4

i don't particularly want a ps4 for anything i can think of right now, but i'd love to get rid of my old 360. and who knows maybe someday i'll want the ps4

Wqdwp8l.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

There are people who do not trust her and she has not earned their trust.

"Accountability?"

So, she's going to clarify that she obviously meant what she obviously meant, and that clarification/apology will be deemed as sufficient, or alternatively will further be pecked over for something to further willfully misinterpret.
    Coinage wrote: »
    So is it now just impossible to express the idea that everyone's life matters because of some people on twitter?

Apparently we should all follow prominent racists on twitter so we can not accidentally use similar wording as they did, despite the actual meaning being obvious from context.

Instead of actually focusing on actual policy to benefit the same people who have been allegedly slighted.

you are not a presidential candidate

presidential candidates literally have people whose job it is to keep their candidate from saying things that sound like they're kinda sorta endorsing the viewpoint of racists

like i said

this is a minor gaff that only reveals someone in Clinton's camp went "whoops"

and that's all

personally I don't even really think Clinton needs to apologize or address this, except maybe with her staff

some might disagree with me, and that's their prerogative

I think she could, and it's not a bad idea per se

but eh

Yes, and I am saying that the process of people picking shit apart with deliberate misinterpretations, especially ones based on twitter hashtags of a tiny minority of racists that everyone should be ignoring anyways, is bad, and people should feel bad for doing it.

Style over substance politics is harmful, because it takes debate away from "what specific policies could most effectively increase black economic participation," and turns it into, "OH EM GEE! Hilary said 'all lives matter' which, her Secretary of Twitter should know was the 216th trending hashtag one day, and really means the opposite of what you might think!"
    Mostly I just hope that modern politicians don't adopt the internet obsession with personal feelings of grievance being more important than governance or policy in my lifetime.

Unfortunately, it's already an issue. This stupid bullshit merits a NYT piece, so...

It is barely a piece.

Funny reading the whole line it seems to be tied to something completely different.

I don't know.

My knowledge of shit like this is below zero if it is tied to twitter.

Didn't even realize it was a counter slogan.

Funny it didn't pop on any of my news feeds or politico or any of my normal sources.
    Just a short article talking about some backlash on social media and like a couple short interviews.

it's amusing that you didn't get a long form questionnaire about how much you care about black people for posting this :bzz:

Wait what?

I am confused?

Like as stated before I don't go on twitter at all.

I knew the Black Lives Matter from the actual protest more than anything else.

i was alluding to pony's post at me a few pages back for saying the same thing

Oh I didn't read it probably by accident. I was behind so I skipped a few pages.

Actually first thing I did was try to find the full transcript of the speech.

Because speeches tend to be more than a single line that s in a paragraph that is probably has a bunch of different points being made.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mortious wrote: »
    As I walked past the breakroom TV, the BBC/CNN lady said "Obama said the United States Government will no longer victimize the families of kidnap victims"

I either misheard, or missed the context of that line, because it makes no sense as written.
    they released a report and are changing policies re: kidnapping
    before the gov't was officially opposed to it and i think paying ransom was technically criminal although i don't know if actively prosecuted (perhaps only in connection to terrorism? idk i only heard it briefly on radio)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

it's technically illegal to pay ransom to get your family members back

though no one has actually gotten in trouble for it

now it's official they won't

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Major shift in policy on how we work with the families of those taken hostage by terrorist groups. There were some major issues with it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    "i was on food stamps you think anyone helped me out" is a pretty good summation of the average american mindset

nnnngh

my brain

It gets better

k0u58zcgebb6.png

Did they have tea there though?

Yes but it was Lipton.

so no, then

Lh96QHG.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah what those other guys said

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Coinage wrote: »
    i will never stop being baffled/horrified/bewildered by food stamps, as a concept
    Why? I'm pretty sure the Canadian system works roughly the same way.

No we don't

We have welfare programs but they just give you money and let you buy your own food where you want and how you want and trust you won't spend it on liquor and cigarettes

Maybe you do!

Some people do, they abuse the system and that's sad

But the point is we don't treat the poor like they're irresponsible children who don't know how to use money properly and need to have specific itemized Not Money given to them so they don't spend it irresponsibly at places we don't want them to shop at

none of this "they have to use their Not Money at places we want poor people to shop, and that is all"

remember the big fuckin' controversy at the idea of allowing food stamps to be used at Whole Foods?

yeah

in Canada, if you want to buy stuff at Whole Foods or an equivalent, that's your business, budget yourself accordingly

Pony on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

People who try to ransom their family members were under threat of prosecution for giving material aid to a terrorist organization.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    after a few years of trying, someone i know just became a father

i am p happy for him

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    gamestop is doing a thing where trading in a 360 or ps3 will give you $150 towards a new xbone or ps4

i don't particularly want a ps4 for anything i can think of right now, but i'd love to get rid of my old 360. and who knows maybe someday i'll want the ps4

Beware, the deal applies to the Slim 360 only. And you probably have to give up a 360 controller, too.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

They added backwards compatibility to the One, right?

edited June 2015
    geth is cloning my post that was also posted by two three other people

seems excessively redundant

Chanus on
    Matt, I would encourage you NOT to look for news reports with the keywords "Kansas" and "ATM Limit".

okay i won't!

see, I don't have a strong "don't push the button" reflex

so I will actually not do this

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I had a dream last night where, while deeply engaged in the world or the dream, I dismissed someone else's idea as something crazy because it seemed like something that would be thought up in a dream.

Did I...did I successfully block an inception?

Matt, I would encourage you NOT to look for news reports with the keywords "Kansas" and "ATM Limit".

okay i won't!

see, I don't have a strong "don't push the button" reflex

so I will actually not do this

probably should avoid most news reports about kansas right now

it's kind of a

situation they've got there

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

they are having to do it title by title, and the list is short but growing.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks guys.

Move to New Zealand
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    after a few years of trying, someone i know just became a father

i am p happy for him

elendil isnt here so im filling in ok
    Would not a man rather have so much sympathy with the coming generation as to spare it the burden of existence, or at any rate not take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?
    A coin is examined, and only after careful deliberation, given to a beggar, whereas a child is flung out into the cosmic brutality without hesitation.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I have literally been on the phone for 45 minutes just making this hotel reservation ffs

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    not on hold, he's just incompetent

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Gim wrote: »
    I had a dream last night where, while deeply engaged in the world or the dream, I dismissed someone else's idea as something crazy because it seemed like something that would be thought up in a dream.

Or divine inspiration.

Move to New Zealand
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I actually don't agree that that is the average american's mindset.

If it were, Obama would not be rounding out his second term right now.

I do think that it is the mindset of a large minority of the electorate, and perhaps the most active one in midterms, but broadly Americans don't think that way.

We're very good at ignoring the fact that certain politicians do believe that, though, for the sake of balance.

No, the average American is not fringey. By definition.

The people holding those signs up are 20-25% of the population at best.

So right off the bat any democratic candidate needs to write their vote off.

Then you have a large block that are not really educated on the issues and vote their team because it's what their family did. They exist on both sides of the aisle and the best you can expect if up they are on the opposing party is that they stay home because they dislike their candidate so much.

Then you have people who are on both sides, study the issues, and vote their conscience. More often than not they stick with their party, but they sometimes abstain, and sometimes vote outside their party because they respect another candidate enough to do so.

But those people crossing lines like that will not do so for a candidate so fully on the other end of the spectrum from them.

There is a reason most mainstream presidential candidates skew towards the middle as much as they do. They want to capture

Yeah, will, do it. Most of the 360 games you like will be backwards compatible within a year, and there is some good stuff coming out on the ps4 in the next year or so. And the PS4 will not be 150 dollars cheaper next year.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

probably

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    REP EAT THE PORK

Making the strong demands

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Hmm, I am considering this now as well. The problem is that then I'd have no way to play my PS3 games.

vRyue2p.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

'cism.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I wonder if I can trade it both for that same deal

doubtful

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    "i was on food stamps you think anyone helped me out" is a pretty good summation of the average american mindset

nnnngh

my brain

It gets better

k0u58zcgebb6.png

Did they have tea there though?

Yes but it was Lipton.

so no, then

Yes, I should have been explicit in my meaning, for those who live in countries where actual tea is common and not-tea is probably nonexistent.

I'm looking forward to getting Shadow Complex on my Xbox One

that was a good game and I'd like to play it again

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Well shit, I might be able to get a One significantly sooner than I thought!

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

People who try to ransom their family members were under threat of prosecution for giving material aid to a terrorist organization.

They should be. Paying ransoms not only encourages future kidnappings, but it directly funds them. The blood of every future victim is on their hands.

Kidnapping should always, 100% of the time be a law enforcement / military issue.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

they are having to do it title by title, and the list is short but growing.

100 games by fall, 300 games by spring 2016 is their current promise.

Lots of publishers like the idea of being able to bundle earlier games as preorder bonuses for new entries, so even companies generally loathe to allow stuff like this are getting on board.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i will say presenting yourself and your view as representative of the american public is kind of eh

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    i will say presenting yourself and your view as representative of the american public is kind of eh

But presenting yourself and your views as representative of "the real america" is an accepted practice.

edited June 2015

on the other hand it turns out spool's viewpoint on Americans and socialism was backed by statistical data so

Pony on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i am the american public fyi

obF2Wuw.png

They should be. Paying ransoms not only encourages future kidnappings, but it directly funds them. The blood of every future victim is on their hands.

Kidnapping should always, 100% of the time be a law enforcement / military issue.

this is one of those sentiments i find to be practical on paper

but if my family member has been taken hostage, my primary concern is getting them out of danger, not necessarily doing the pragmatic thing

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    a

Hmm, I am considering this now as well. The problem is that then I'd have no way to play my PS3 games.

How much will a used PS3 cost in 2017? Peanuts. Sell it now and buy a PS3 in two years when you start feeling nostalgic.

This discussion has been closed.