As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Nightlight

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Nightlight

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Ok, the guy in the last panel looks nothing like the young guy in the first part of the comic. so is he the old man in a flash back or someone other than the two men in the first part of the comic and that explains the girls reaction? you know, other than the fact she's seeing some dead thing that clearly has taken a Louisville slugger to the cranium. Also, I greatly enjoy it when Gabe and Tycho dabble in these "long form" comics.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    No, he's definitely the young guy plus a few years, some more ink on his arm (probably related to his... nocturnal activities), and some combat experience. (And his word balloons are the same color.)

And because I know someone's going to say it, so I might as well: "the Daddening of Penny Arcade continues."

(Also: the inspiration for Annarchy is old enough now to get married? Man, I am feelin' it this week.)

Commander Zoom on
  • The_WatcherThe_Watcher Registered User regular
    Whoops, accidentally ripping off Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Always glad to see another series.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I like the stuffed Catsby and Twisp stuffed animals on the shelf.

The guy seems to have gotten in pretty good shape from beating the shit out of monsters and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the tattoos in his sleeve represent the slain ones that came before purple crab claw here.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The man is the same man, just four or five years later when his newborn kid is grown up a little.

He's got the same barbed wire tattoo, it's just been added to, and he's had a haircut.

Edit: beaten.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    his torso in the last frame does seem a little off though...like, weirdly small.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah OK. This is cool. One off, or we got a miniseries here? :D

Oh brilliant
  • FutureDictatorFutureDictator Registered User regular
    Oh, hell yes. More.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I would like to read more of this.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is really cool

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Whoops, accidentally ripping off Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

I love Pratchett as much as the next person but beating up monsters hiding under the bed didn't originate with him.

• The_WatcherThe_Watcher Registered User regular
    Please Quid, show me a pre-Pratchett example.

• nrcolenrcole Registered User new member
    edited June 2015
    This looks incredible!

At first I was excited that this might be a new round of "3 pitches" or whatever, but on second thought, do I really want more stuff competing with Lookouts, Automata, and Sand for your time? :)

nrcole on

Well, there's the concept in the famous G. K. Chesterton quotation:
    Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.

• BMacGBMacG Registered User new member
    I love this so goddamn much.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm digging this for sure.

Also, is this a suitable evolution of our thirst for fantasy in our lives?

"Ok, I'm 30, I never developed magical powers. But what if my KID develops magical powers? And then I could fight off the monsters!"

I love the evolution of our nerdy fantasies.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    Old Guy's third panel dialogue gets really dark by the end panel. Starts as, "You should treasure the moments in your child's life as he grows because that time is finite," ends with the implication that this isn't a Cat's in the Cradle situation, that guy lost his kid to a closet monster.

• wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

My dad in 1979. I was scared of the monsters under my bed and in my closet, so he made a big production out of beating the shit out of them. Those monsters never bothered me again because my dad went beast mode on them. Dads beating up monsters under the bed is as old as monsters under the bed.

wormspeaker on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The Merch is in this universe...

can't help but wonder what will happen if the Fleshreaper stops by on his annual torso-collection.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There's an important thematic distinction between this and Hogfather.

Here, the parents (presumably all parents) kill the monsters while trying to keep the children from seeing. This way they can protect them from the monsters and allow them to live a normal life, unaware of what really lurks behind the door.

In Hogfather, Susan deliberately kills ( or evicts) the monsters in full view of the children. This teaches them three useful things. First, that there are monsters, so you should be prepared. Second, that monsters can be killed. Third, that you should never cross Miss Susan. She has the Poker.

Pratchett himself has told a story (turned into one of the thieves' childhoods in Hogfather) of a wardrobe in his room when he was growing up. It almost had a face on the door if you looked carefully at the decoration, such as, say, if you slept facing it every night...

His father eventually burnt it in the garden while Young Terry watched.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The Merch is in this universe...

can't help but wonder what will happen if the Fleshreaper stops by on his annual torso-collection.

And Twisp & Catsby.

YoungFrey on
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Uhoh... I sense another one of those crazy personal projects that we're going to be thirsty for a single comic once per year or two. Damn you Mike & Jerry!

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Well that took an unexpected twist...

Great comic though and the artwork looks fantastic, love the page layout.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Pratchett himself has told a story (turned into one of the thieves' childhoods in Hogfather) of a wardrobe in his room when he was growing up. It almost had a face on the door if you looked carefully at the decoration, such as, say, if you slept facing it every night...

His father eventually burnt it in the garden while Young Terry watched.

Parenting: Hardcore Badass Edition

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

The originator of the tales of the "Monster under the bed" is the Bogeyman and there are many tales, since say, the 17th century, about such monsters. Sometimes parents are heroes, fighting off the creature to save the children or it's a warning from parents to their children be obedient like not staying up late or being naughty. Otherwise the bogeyman will come drag them away or some other hideously gruesome fate. The question really is what particular tale or variant are you interested in?

Like if you want to find examples you can go to wikipedia and knock yourself out looking up tales around these things. Where again, there are hundreds of variants. There are even movies where people get together to trick and beat up monsters that live under the bed, which is from 1989. Hogfather was released in 1996. I could find more, but honestly, it's not hard and if you have any idea of the origin of these tales you wouldn't be asking smarmy questions like this in the first place.

Returning to the comic: This was awesome. I hope there is more of this to come.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    THIS. IS. AWESOME.

• armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I totally thought this was going to be a Scooby Doo related comic since the guy looked like a grown up Shaggy. This was way cooler!

• AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

And because I know someone's going to say it, so I might as well: "the Daddening of Penny Arcade continues."

I for one am really glad.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »

I for one am really glad.

As Robert reminded us recently. The PA audience is on the "old" side, being in the low to mid 30s. So parent comics are a good match for the demographic (or soon will be).

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Cool, though I hope there is a bit more explanation that happens instead of the usual tidbits that may or may not make sense to anyone but Mike and Jerry.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hmmmmm, the teddy bear in panel one is the same one on the girl's bed.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular

As a dad of a 7 year old who gets scared at night, I for one hope for more of these.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • RedactedProfileRedactedProfile Burnaby, BCRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite things about the art in this, is the sleeve tatt. It's only half "finished" when he's talking to his.. grandfather? (Im assuming it's his grandfather, his own father wouldn't be that kind of old), but the sleeve tattoo is now completed in the last frame. Either it was finished when his daughter was born, or it's a prophetic thing. Either way, one of my favorite little details, whatever the reason behind it being

• TheKiltedStrangerTheKiltedStranger Registered User new member
    I think the old guy is just an old guy, not any relation. Since he knows the kid's gender before Dad does, I think it implies that he's something more, maybe has some kind of power of prophecy. Maybe that's a dad-power?

Also, does the tip of the bat look like it's glowing? Another Dad-power? Maybe once the Daddening (As in Dad+Quickening from Highlander=The thing that happens when you become a dad?) happens, you gain abilities to protect the kid, like empowering a weapon.

And the powers change as you age and are no longer able to fight, becoming things like prophecy like the old guy has (The Grand-daddening?). Or maybe the Old Guy is a "Shield", but Dad is a "Sword", which would explain their different Dad-powers.

That's a lot of speculation there, I know... but I love this comic. I want to read the 15-part novel series and fund the Kickstarter for the movie.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Jerry's news post mentions, that he would like to keep doing projects like these instead of coming up with cool ideas and abandoning for the regular Gabe and Tycho stuff. (I find it odd that Gabe is flagged for spellcheck and Tycho isn't)

I question why; would everyone abandon Penny Arcade en masse if they took a couple months and told a complete story? I have seen the complaints when they go on hiatus and do a five(at most) page story. I have to believe those are the minority. The video games, dick jokes and crazy life stories are only one part of the creators' lives. I for one would welcome them doing something of a passion project. They are very good at it.(Where is that Eyrewood book Jerry?)

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Tie your damn shoelace.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    Jerry's news post mentions, that he would like to keep doing projects like these instead of coming up with cool ideas and abandoning for the regular Gabe and Tycho stuff. (I find it odd that Gabe is flagged for spellcheck and Tycho isn't)

I question why; would everyone abandon Penny Arcade en masse if they took a couple months and told a complete story? I have seen the complaints when they go on hiatus and do a five(at most) page story. I have to believe those are the minority. The video games, dick jokes and crazy life stories are only one part of the creators' lives. I for one would welcome them doing something of a passion project. They are very good at it.(Where is that Eyrewood book Jerry?)
    I assume they have the numbers for how page views change, if at all, when they do their stories. Presumably we'll never know what those numbers are.

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Yo, this is awesome. I love it when they do side-stories like this.

camo_sig2.png