As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

anime [chat]

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    "his gun is jammed, he can't shoot" said in the most moronic way possible

goddamn, tourist, you dumb. You fucking dumb.

I love considering the logical chain that leads someone to conclude that ceremonial guards are chosen from amongst something other than the soldiers who take their jobs the most seriously.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    A divorce between two can take years in community property, and longer in equitable distribution states

Imagine the work lawyers would get .... My god, it's all funded by trial lawyers ... Wake up sheeple

That and and realtors! Gentrification of suburbs!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

yeah....

it doesn't matter if he's wearing a silly looking hat

don't go up to a soldier on active duty and start trying to prod his rifle

Is that the response they are supposed to give, or did that guard just get pissed and do it on his own?

Because I can see that being the 'regulation' warning to get the hell back. I mean, they are guards.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there's no ceremonial weapons carried anywhere that aren't also still weapons

sufficiently pissing off a beefeater would not end well even if he hasn't got a gun

s-media-cache-ak0.pini93cdd4036ec1684b3b64d.jpg

beefeaters also have to have like 20 years of service as an NCO and a bunch of medals too so they are probs quite hardxcore

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah, Red Dwarf X still got it <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3fAR38P-c

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this american concept artist waifu offered me a green card marriage but now that gay marriage is legal her offer has only half value (this is maths)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

yeah....

Is that the response they are supposed to give, or did that guard just get pissed and do it on his own?

Because I can see that being the 'regulation' warning to get the hell back. I mean, they are guards.

"get back from the queen's guard" sounds like something you're supposed to say, rather than something you pulled out of your ass.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I bet I could take on a beefeater

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    How poly marriage would work is a fun discussion but you eventually end up getting a headache working out the math

Yeah, it's a goddamn complex issue. Mostly solved by just not locking things onto a spouse specifically. For example, insurance discounts for spouses could just be "If you pay X for insurance you have Y you can apply to the insurance of a spouse or spouses" instead of "Your spouse pays only this much!" And then making things like hospital visitation and such something you can easily just parcel out to whomever you want.

That makes collective marriage for tax reasons a thing though. 30, 40 people married somehow, how do you determine what one person gets when they divorce the group?

Marriage for tax reasons is already common, and it's kind of messed up given that it's a fuck you to single folks. You could require prenups for any and all marriage arrangements. I don't see lawyers being upset at 40 people showing up to give them money for a long-ass contract.

Marriage is good for society, we agree, which is why we favor it in the tax code.

Do you really want to incentivize people being in marriages they aren't all that into because there's a financial benefit, though?

Yes.

Bad marriages are a net loss for society.

Trust me. My parents had one.

Irrelevant unless you want to argue that the majority of marriages are bad.

The majority may not be, but even a sliver of that number being bad marriages is a huge number with America's population.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    How poly marriage would work is a fun discussion but you eventually end up getting a headache working out the math

Yeah, it's a goddamn complex issue. Mostly solved by just not locking things onto a spouse specifically. For example, insurance discounts for spouses could just be "If you pay X for insurance you have Y you can apply to the insurance of a spouse or spouses" instead of "Your spouse pays only this much!" And then making things like hospital visitation and such something you can easily just parcel out to whomever you want.

That makes collective marriage for tax reasons a thing though. 30, 40 people married somehow, how do you determine what one person gets when they divorce the group?

Marriage for tax reasons is already common, and it's kind of messed up given that it's a fuck you to single folks. You could require prenups for any and all marriage arrangements. I don't see lawyers being upset at 40 people showing up to give them money for a long-ass contract.

Marriage is good for society, we agree, which is why we favor it in the tax code.

Do you really want to incentivize people being in marriages they aren't all that into because there's a financial benefit, though?

Yes.

Bad marriages are a net loss for society.

Trust me. My parents had one.

Irrelevant unless you want to argue that the majority of marriages are bad.

They are.

A huge portion of marriages are in fact going to fail out.

And that's not counting the ones that are horrible but ongoing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    this american concept artist waifu offered me a green card marriage but now that gay marriage is legal her offer has only half value (this is maths)

You're going to have to marry me for your green card, then. It's the only way.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    if they were ceremonial they'd carry prettier guns not standard issue

the prettier guns are also still guns

also important to note they are real soldiers

they're not just old guys we pull off the street for a love of tradition and old uniforms

that dude has probably been shot at by Taliban

he isn't scared of a Japanese tourist

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I bet I could take on a beefeater

well so long as you arent made of beef or covered in beef you are probably safe

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

yeah....

"get back from the queen's guard" sounds like something you're supposed to say, rather than something you pulled out of your ass.

It's almost certainly intentional, much like the TotUS guards using "request" in most of their statements.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I got Sallie Mae down to $14,000 to settle.

They're going to see if they can approve a good faith payment and a 2-3 year payment plan.

I think I won.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    if the divorce rate is above 50% it would support that idea

but that statistic is old and the divorce rate is falling

i have nothing to say other than i was going to make a joke about this but did a quick check to see how things were shaping up

• Options
    he isn't scared of a Japanese tourist

i am though what if i hurt their feelings : (

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I got yelled at by a guardsman in London when I was visiting.

I was getting my picture taken next to him right when they were about to do an inspection or a changing of the guard or something.

So I'm just standing there and the guard yells GET BACK!! at me.

The picture was taken at the exact moment this happened. The guard is yelling at me, and I am in the process of reacting.
    WMdyQpr.jpg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I am not going to fuck around with the definitions of "bad marriages" and "net loss for society" and I am instead going to propose that generally the propagation of marriage results in empirically observed social outcomes that we as a whole favor

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The divorce rate is down because the statistics are being bolstered by all these strong loving gay marriages.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    My mother's firm argued the marriage case! They are partying like whoa right now.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

yeah....

They have instructions as to what things are worth reacting to with what. Ranging from ignoring it to cut it the fuck out to throw him to the ground and sit on him to feuer frei

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I suspect I'll only be able to get you guys SO hype for Sunday morning's rocket launch today (apparently there's bigger news today?!?!)

But in case you're interested, NASA/SpaceX have released their Press Kit , full of cool stuff like the mission overview, a moment-by-moment description of how things should happen during the mission (including a timeline and fairly in-depth descriptions), and all sorts of other cool stuff about the Dragon, Falcon, ISS, NASA, SpaceX, the launch facility - everything you'd need to know to write your own generic article about the event! :P

I'm paying attention! I'm super excited about what SpaceX is doing!

I'll do a little more hype-building tomorrow morning (~24 hours before launch) - we should have images of the rocket on the pad, static tests will be finished, etc., so we'll have a lot more information - and then I apologize for none of my behaviour Sunday morning :P

Reminder: Launch is 14:21 UTC on Sunday - That's 10:21am on the East Coast, 7:21am out west, and do your own math if you're somewhere else!

Streams will go up about ~30 minutes prior to launch (which coincides nicely for when interesting stuff starts happening on the timeline), and of course if you can't / don't want to view the launch live, I will be ALL OVER post-launch media, including how the first stage landing attempt goes!

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    if the divorce rate is above 50% it would support that idea

but that statistic is old and the divorce rate is falling

i have nothing to say other than i was going to make a joke about this but did a quick check to see how things were shaping up

divorce rate is falling because depression is rising therefore nobody believes their life will improve if their abandon their failing relationship ok u didnt look depe enuff into heart of darkness....

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I love considering the logical chain that leads someone to conclude that ceremonial guards are chosen from amongst something other than the soldiers who take their jobs the most seriously.

Well, kinda. They're definitely very, ah, motivated, but I've always held garrison bullshit is just bullshit. Actual combat deployments are where it is at.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd say marriage rate is falling because people aren't getting married as frequently anymore.

I wonder if the % has stayed consistent?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    We could use some of those ceremonial guards at the White House these days.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    yeah but fuck tax incentivizing home ownership lol fuck that shit so hard

end tangent
    I'm not entirely sure why you are mad.

it's dumb and isn't actually good for the economy
    shit's purely political
    I want home ownership to be cheaper. I think most people want home ownership to be cheaper. Writing off the interest rate makes that happen. Why do you hate America?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd say marriage rate is falling because people aren't getting married as frequently anymore.

I wonder if the % has stayed consistent?

we're talking about the divorce rate, not the ratio of married couples vs non married couples

they be different things yo

• Options
    My mother's firm argued the marriage case! They are partying like whoa right now.

i am feeling salty because i know stephen breyer but hes not the notorious rbg or any of the actually interesting or shitty ones ffs

i didnt even realise he was on the supreme court lel

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Well, kinda. They're definitely very, ah, motivated, but I've always held garrison bullshit is just bullshit. Actual combat deployments are where it is at.

Almost everybody in those sorts of positions (Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Queen's Guard, etc.) is required to have had one or more combat deployments.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The divorce rate is down because the statistics are being bolstered by all these strong loving gay marriages.

Actually divorces decrease during economic recessions and depressions.

So....

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Almost everybody in those sorts of positions (Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Queen's Guard, etc.) is required to have had one or more combat deployments.

ive had a lot of deployments but only de_dust and de_aztec really

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    To be slightly fair, colloquially "ceremonial" is often used to mean "something that is decorative/meaningful rather than practical". Ceremonial guards being shit soldiers is also something of a fantasy trope.

That being said, even if you think they're not "good" soldiers, prodding someone who is even nominally a soldier while they're on guard duty is a dumb thing to do.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    That all said, the divorce rate is partly due to some people getting divorced A LOT, and a good marriage is an absolutely wonderful thing.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

White House guards should wear tailored suits and mirror shades and stand perfectly motionless for 4 hours at a time.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

i am feeling salty because i know stephen breyer but hes not the notorious rbg or any of the actually interesting or shitty ones ffs

i didnt even realise he was on the supreme court lel

don't worry everyone always forgets Breyer

he cool tho

• Options

White House guards should wear tailored suits and mirror shades and stand perfectly motionless for 4 hours at a time.

It would keep them out of trouble for once.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

which firm??

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.