As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]master Tama

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i'm glad my neighbours are vapourware

they'd think it awfully strange for the man next door to be skipping poorly while blasting tears for fears in his back garden

everybody wants to rule the world

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    oh then i make it to the tram and get stuck in the opening door

great

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    and another crash

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    My minion over in the philippines has now been working on a project for over a month that I could knock out in probably a day if I didn't have anything else to do.

He's basically only useful for handling emergencies while I'm asleep, but I really like uninterrupted sleep so that may be enough.

The real question is whether I actually just do the work myself so that it's done or continue to wait for him to probably never actually do it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh noice, my paycheck that includes my overtime from last week. that sure is a big gross.

*looks at net*

: (

*eats ramen and sells blood*

Insurance and such? Or just taxes?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Maybe they're born with it?

Maybe it's

.._--~~¨¨~~ A U S T E R I T Y ~~¨¨~~--_..

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Also cannot recommend living in the Midwest enough

Hint: you can shadowrun just as well in Columbus as you can in Boston/Chicago/NYC

Houses are 150k

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Also if you're designing an elevator, it seems like elevators are a business you do, and you could probably use an existing schematic and go from there and save yourself a lot of work anyways.
    Hoistways very too much. Companies like Otis or Shindler just use a standard elevator. Where everything is just a kit, assemble throw in adjust move on, but you can't change or very, and if they hoistway is a different size or the guide rails are wrong they have to demo and try again, there isn't room for change and problems with that type of thing. For custom elevators you need to do engineering every time. And codes change every year so you have to design per the code year.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    My minion over in the philippines has now been working on a project for over a month that I could knock out in probably a day if I didn't have anything else to do.

He's basically only useful for handling emergencies while I'm asleep, but I really like uninterrupted sleep so that may be enough.

The real question is whether I actually just do the work myself so that it's done or continue to wait for him to probably never actually do it.

dawg, it's not getting done

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh noice, my paycheck that includes my overtime from last week. that sure is a big gross.

*looks at net*

taxes, 401k etc

essentially my net pay this wk is my typical gross pay

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    TTODewback wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Who needs safety systems when you can just have the bottom of the elevator fall out and drop people a few hundred feet into water.

Jeez you act like it's a big deal.

just glue a spring to the bottom of the lift

I think they actually do this. Or rather the spring sits all the way at the bottom of the shaft.

Many do I believe. If your high up it won't matter but if the elevator fucks up around the first couple of floors it will probably just give you some bruises instead of destroying you

It's one of the many fail safes. Some use "springs" at the bottom, some use a pool of water, some don't use anything.

There's also brakes that will kick in if the elevator descends too quickly or loses power, by default they're clamped shut and only open during full power. I think one of the brakes jams a metal rod into the wall.

Then there's the fact that elevator cables have like 10 redundancies to themselves. So theoretically, it could support N-weight depending on how many factors of safety is required of it.

Then the counterweights act as a failsafe too (pulls the elevator up towards the roof instead of letting you fall down).

It's the safety systems that really make an elevator safe. Shit be nuts. It feels like a team of 5 engineers could build an elevator no problem, though, because I'm sure they have way more knowledge about this shit than I do reading wikipedia and watching how it's made.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    What if you put the elevator in a giant slinky and used an existing stairwell?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options

*looks at net*

taxes, 401k etc

essentially my net pay this wk is my typical gross pay

Taxes are taxes but neither of us make enough to really get hit

401k is gravy

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Who needs safety systems when you can just have the bottom of the elevator fall out and drop people a few hundred feet into water.

I think they actually do this. Or rather the spring sits all the way at the bottom of the shaft.

Many do I believe. If your high up it won't matter but if the elevator fucks up around the first couple of floors it will probably just give you some bruises instead of destroying you

It's one of the many fail safes. Some use "springs" at the bottom, some use a pool of water, some don't use anything.

There's also brakes that will kick in if the elevator descends too quickly or loses power, by default they're clamped shut and only open during full power. I think one of the brakes jams a metal rod into the wall.

Then there's the fact that elevator cables have like 10 redundancies to themselves. So theoretically, it could support N-weight depending on how many factors of safety is required of it.

Then the counterweights act as a failsafe too.

It's the safety systems that really make an elevator safe. Shit be nuts. It feels like a team of 5 engineers could build an elevator no problem, though, because I'm sure they have way more knowledge about this shit than I do reading wikipedia and watching how it's made.

And then you could be Ohio State and have 100 people on an elevator and see how that works out.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Then the counterweights act as a failsafe too.

Pools of water aren't code. Generally that's because the elevator hoistway wasn't sealed correctly and no-one bothered to pump out the pit. Cathotic protection is generally springs. They also have breaks that engage if the elevator goes too fast in either direction, because the counterweight is 45% heavier than the elevator, it is likely to go up in event the brakes fail.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    For some reason elevator guys swear the most on construction sites.

They're just like... I guess dedicated to and passionate about elaborate cussing.

Or maybe it's just the ones around here.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Yeah I wasn't super sure about the pools of water, but I've seen lots of old elevator shafts like that so I figured it was just par for the course.

Those old 1950s freight elevators are legit terrifying. We have a few of them in Syracuse still.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I go to look up this world-endinging temperature in London. It's 94F/34C. I am sure it's bad for them but how am I supposed to not cackle?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah I wasn't super sure about the pools of water, but I've seen lots of old elevator shafts like that so I figured it was just par for the course.

Those old 1950s freight elevators are legit terrifying. We have a few of them in Syracuse still.

have you ever ridden in them? the hand cranked ones?

those legit make your stomach turn

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I go to look up this world-endinging temperature in London. It's 94F/34C. I am sure it's bad for them but how am I supposed to not cackle?

no aircon

the struggle....

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Freight elevators often have their safetys disengaged, so if the brakes fail you will fly into the ceiling.

:(

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    luckily the district line trains are air conned 4hh4h4h4

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

hue

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The only freight one I've ridden is a standard one that is open are and you have a safety gate you have to close by hand before it will move.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

have you ever ridden in them? the hand cranked ones?

those legit make your stomach turn

I'd rather just take the stairs or climb a service ladder. You just know that the pulley systems on those elevators haven't been inspected in 50 years.

• Options
    94 degrees?

Poor babies.

• Options
    30% humidity, that must be so hard on them.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Router nerds - if I have a VoIP phone that needs to be connected to my modem, can I use a wifi extender and connect it to that?

Yes but

How often do you use your VoIP phone? Do you really care if it works?

It lets me work from home without people in other offices not realizing I'm not there. People in other offices are the only ones that care if I'm in the office. So yes, I care very much. *is working from home today and tomorrow without telling people in other offices because it is not relevant to them thanks to VoIP phone*

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

no aircon

the struggle....

It's been that warm a few times this summer and I don't have it either. You just kind of sit outside and sip a mint julep. Entertaining the fantasy that you own another human being helps as well.

• Options
    Router nerds - if I have a VoIP phone that needs to be connected to my modem, can I use a wifi extender and connect it to that?

Yes but

It lets me work from home without people in other offices not realizing I'm not there. People in other offices are the only ones that care if I'm in the office. So yes, I care very much. *is working from home today and tomorrow without telling people in other offices because it is not relevant to them thanks to VoIP phone*

A WiFi bridge is not the best choice then. Run a cable.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    @Shivahn I finally went back and watched your video all the way through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY

It was really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Also cannot recommend living in the Midwest enough

Hint: you can shadowrun just as well in Columbus as you can in Boston/Chicago/NYC

Houses are 150k

My grandmother had a mansion in indiana who passed away recently. It just got closed, her house is 5-6bd 2.5 gigantic stories, finished basement w/ wetbar, attached garage. 109k and "we were lucky to get that, we were thinking 90k".

In SWVA 109 barely gets you a shack. You might be able to get condemned property in a bad part of town for 90.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Canadian smoke is actually inhibiting cumulus cloud formation
    Those fucking canucks have discovered how to control the weather

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    94 degrees and 30% humidity is almost perfect weather for swamp coolers to function too.

Dump some ice in a bucket and put a fan to blow air over it. You'll get yourself a 85 degree room if you're lucky.

• Options

no aircon

the struggle....

It's been that warm a few times this summer and I don't have it either. You just kind of sit outside and sip a mint julep. Entertaining the fantasy that you own another human being helps as well.

"outside"

r u high

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i will sit next to my tower and i will like it ffs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yes but

Can't run one from my bedroom to the living room. Oh well.

• Options

Yes but

Can't run one from my bedroom to the living room. Oh well.

Why not?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    @Shivahn I finally went back and watched your video all the way through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY

It was really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

This seems like a great way for me to catch up on all the classic retro games I always wanted to play, have my computer do it for me

• Options
This discussion has been closed.