As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies] When Dinosaurs Ruled the Box Office

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Either something is really weird about US R-rating or R there does NOT mean what it means here/Australia.

... I have no idea what the first R movie I saw was, but I remember thinking Meaning of Life was a bit outre when I was 7 or 8.

It's an essentially an MA15+ for most things but there can be some variations.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh ok, that makes a little more sense then.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    R in the US is 18+ unless you're with a parent or guardian. As I found out, guardian does not mean "be with someone who is 18+" as my girlfriend at the time, her brother and I went to see Interview with the Vampire for a second time. We weren't 18 yet, but her brother was. They wouldn't sell us tickets, so we left, he went back in to a different booth and just bought three tickets. Problem solved!

You have to be 18 to see Pretty Woman???

... or Interview with a Vampire, for that matter. What??

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Interview with a vampire is the first movie I saw boobies in I think?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    You have to be 18 to see Pretty Woman???

... or Interview with a Vampire, for that matter. What??

Boobs, I guess

edited July 2015
    Amazing.
    edit: I don't even remember boobs in Pretty Woman but I've only seen that movie once.

tynic on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    pretty woman has ADULT SITUATIONS

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    R is 17+, not 18, but yeah. The MPAA is kind of messed up.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    pretty woman has ADULT SITUATIONS

Yeah, I'd say pretty woman is rated R due to the fact that Americans are terrified of sex.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, most of the time a boob will get you an R rating.

You can show some butt and keep it PG-13

Just forget about showing actual genitalia though. That shit is incredibly rare in American movies.

I think my first onscreen male genitalia was probably Life of Brian.

... my parents are big monty python fans, what can I say. Anyway I was super young but it's not like it was the first or last time I'd see a ding-dong.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I watched R rated movies for as long as I can remember. My parents never made a big deal about it.

I do the same thing with my kids. The only thing I don't particularly like is the language only because I don't want them repeating it at school.

Everyone should watch This Film is Not Yet Rated if they want a good insight on how ridiculous the ratings system is.

I think it's still on Netflix.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Typo on 18+. We were 16 when Interview came out.

Jesus fucking Christ, that was 21 years ago.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't know what most movies are rated now because I'm old and when I want to go see them I do

The only time I notice is when a horror movie seems weirdly tame and check and find out its pg13

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I can't remember the first movie in which I saw uncovered breasts, but the first R-rated movie I saw was Alien. Sigourney Weaver's outfit of a tank top and panties in that final scene, combined with the tension and terror of the alien really, uh, really influenced me.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Weekend box office
    #5 Southpaw (~$16m)
    #4 Trainwreck (~$17m)
    #3 Minions (~$22m)
    #2 Pixels (~$24m)
    #1 Ant-Man (~$25m)

6F32U1X.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Pixels made less than half of industry projections. Finally, Sandler films are going into decline. Could our long national nightmare be coming to an end?

KingofMadCows on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    We've still got 4 whole Netflix movies to get through

6F32U1X.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    We've still got 4 whole Netflix movies to get through

FOUR?!

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Titanic is rated PG-13. Notable because it was a PG-13 movie you could go and see boobs in.

Oh, you're right! I guess my first rated R movie that I remember was the Matrix then. I saw Pretty Woman around that time too, but pretty sure the Matrix was first.

I remember my mom telling me to cover my eyes during a few scenes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7cPH7DHgA
    But I always peeked the entire time, of course. :D

steam_sig.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Pixels made less than half of industry projections. Finally, Sandler films are going into decline. Could our long national nightmare be coming to an end?

No, because it's all doing really well overseas

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    For some reason I was under the impression that the Marix was pg-13. Must have had something to do with the whole "what the shit" thing.

I honestly haven't the foggiest idea what the first R movie I saw was. Probably some shitty horror movie.

X22wmuF.jpg
    But would it do well... Under the sea?

Basically I'm asking how fast would salt water destroy the film.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My first R-rated movie was probably either Terminator or RoboCop
    Both of them when I was like... 10?

I was like 8 to 12 years old when I first saw nightmare on elm street.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Oh man, it would be tough for me to think about my first R movie. My parents were pretty lenient on that stuff. I/we would regularly rent horror movies. It could have been Jason Takes Manhattan? Maybe Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4? Or it could have just been some shitty thing nobody remembers. Robocop and Predator were also in a stable of movies that I watched regularly as a kid somewhere between maybe 8-10.

At the theather, my first guess would be Alien 3. At least I assume that was R.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I think my first 18 rated film might have been Commando. Honestly though there are a lot of things it could have been, I was on a steady diet of "inappropriate" content from like 5 and upwards.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I think my first 18 rated film might have been Commando. Honestly though there are a lot of things it could have been, I was on a steady diet of "inappropriate" content from like 5 and upwards.

That's a pretty damn good first R rated movie to watch.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!

also the box office prediction was 30-40 million, and it's on track to make 25 which is not less than half no matter what kind of fuzzy math you do

couple that with the fact that the predictions were inflated due to some crazy belief that the fact it was a sci-fi/effects movie would boost the numbers, and historically adam sandler movies always open at around 20 - 30 million

yeah

pixels'll do fine

sorry nerds

adam sandler movies cannot be killed

6vjsgrerts6r.png

also the box office prediction was 30-40 million, and it's on track to make 25 which is not less than half no matter what kind of fuzzy math you do

couple that with the fact that the predictions were inflated due to some crazy belief that the fact it was a sci-fi/effects movie would boost the numbers, and historically adam sandler movies always open at around 20 - 30 million

yeah

pixels'll do fine

sorry nerds

adam sandler movies have opened higher than that, though, like, significantly so

this is definitely a bad opening for him, in a string of lackluster openings for him (like, looking at a list of his box office opening figures, there's a large chunk in the high 30 million to low 40 million range)

like, this barely opened larger than funny people and that was considered a financial disaster for him

Funny People was actually a decent movie.

I really like Funny People! It basically bombed, though.

yeah

pixels'll do fine

sorry nerds

adam sandler movies have opened higher than that, though, like, significantly so

this is definitely a bad opening for him, in a string of lackluster openings for him (like, looking at a list of his box office opening figures, there's a large chunk in the high 30 million to low 40 million range)

like, this barely opened larger than funny people and that was considered a financial disaster for him

the thing is, the openings haven't meant dick to his movies since forever

if you look at them, they almost all end up making up most if not all to their budget after a few weeks in the domestic box office, then rack in the bucks overseas

funny people was considered a financial disaster because it's the only one that didn't

6vjsgrerts6r.png

It'll make its money overseas, but it's not positioned very well to keep doing well at the box office. That cinemascore thing they use to see how audiences like it has...not been kind to it, so word of mouth probably won't be there, and if they want families to go see it, those families still have, you know, Minions and Ant-Man out there.

I really like Funny People! It basically bombed, though.

I would say it was probably too dark for the average moviegoer.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I think my parents just kinda let me watch whatever (supervised of course) so I have no clue what my first r rated movie was, was too young to remember. They did a pretty good job of explaining what was real and what wasn't and would cover my eyes if stuff was gonna get too violent/serious/etc.

(it was probably like, terminator or die hard or something)

rhylith on
    pixels has the same cinemascore as jack and jill, a film that made back it's budget in the domestic box office and was the last time everyone was wondering if adam sandler was doomed because holy shit.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    netflix rhymes with wet chicks

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.