As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I am dying

the weather is killing me

send help in the form of giant comedy fridges

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    We get the occasional letter from inmates as well.

One recent dude requested a grappling hook, game of thrones letter opener, and a my little pony plush.

Someone's got a fun week planned.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tox, take a civil service test. Look up civil service tests in your state, and find one for computer techs. Government benefits are the fucking shit.

EDIT: I assume you're in America, of course. Unless you adopted the Panthers as your team by choice

Goose! on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Waiting in a clinic lobby right now to pee in a cup before my new job starts on the 13th.

I am very happy that I was able to get a job lined up for right after my current one ends. It means I'll be able to use my generous severance to pay off basically all my debt except student loans. All the money going into debt now can be used for more food and entertainment budget, life insurance, and maybe even a cleaning service. And I don't have to hold on to the big tax refund we got as an emergency fund between jobs and can instead use it for our 10th anniversary trip to Disneyland in August, upgrade our phones, and cover PAX expenses.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I am dying

Planning on taking the casing off of my window AC unit later to clean the fans and coils. Had it for three years or so so it's due a cleaning and I bet it runs so much better after.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    In good news, 'Obama set to expand overtime pay to millions of workers' (apologies for the auto-play video in the link).
    The long-awaited regulation would make all salaried workers who earn less than $970 per week, roughly $50,440 per year, automatically eligible to earn overtime pay if they work more than 40 hours a week. The cutoff under existing rules is around $23,660 per year.

"In this country, a hard day's work deserves a fair day's pay," Obama wrote in an op-ed for The Huffington Post. "That's at the heart of what it means to be middle class in America."

[...]

Under current rules, employees who make more than $455 a week, or $23,660 per year, and work more than 40 hours a week are considered management and are not eligible for overtime pay.

"Right now, too many Americans are working long days for less pay than they deserve," Obama wrote. "That's partly because we've failed to update overtime regulations for years."

The new rules will be subject to a public comment period and could take effect in 2016.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I am very curious to how this new regulation is going to affect UFCW 21 members. I know a ton of people who are part of this union who work more than 40 hours a week.
    We might work in a grocery store but that doesn't mean we are lazy or stupid.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Tox, take a civil service test. Look up civil service tests in your state, and find one for computer techs. Government benefits are the fucking shit.

EDIT: I assume you're in America, of course. Unless you adopted the Panthers as your team by choice

I've looked into that as well. The issue I'm having is that there's a drought here in that field. The industry is expanding, but the labor force for that field fucking exploded, so entry level jobs are actually harder to get than higher level jobs.

What I need to do is go ahead and finish my 4-year, and get certs. The only thing that really sucks about my current situation is that I'm in my mid-30s and have no benefits, which means I'll be working until I die at this rate.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nothing quite like driving a dying go-cart back to the office across the institution in a vain attempt to outrun the thunderstorm.

Put your helmets on, we'll be reaching speeds of three!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am dying

I am sunburned!!

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    It's going to be 34 in London tomorrow. 30-bloody-4.

• Options
    45 minutes walk to work and the same back

in today's heat

fuck you, world

• Options
    You win, Bad-Beat, that is gross weather.

I'm due to go for a run tomorrow, no fucking way.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Qanamil wrote: »
    In good news, 'Obama set to expand overtime pay to millions of workers' (apologies for the auto-play video in the link).
    The long-awaited regulation would make all salaried workers who earn less than $970 per week, roughly $50,440 per year, automatically eligible to earn overtime pay if they work more than 40 hours a week. The cutoff under existing rules is around $23,660 per year.

"In this country, a hard day's work deserves a fair day's pay," Obama wrote in an op-ed for The Huffington Post. "That's at the heart of what it means to be middle class in America."

[...]

Under current rules, employees who make more than $455 a week, or $23,660 per year, and work more than 40 hours a week are considered management and are not eligible for overtime pay.

"Right now, too many Americans are working long days for less pay than they deserve," Obama wrote. "That's partly because we've failed to update overtime regulations for years."

The new rules will be subject to a public comment period and could take effect in 2016.

This technically applies to me and the company I work for, but it's not going to make any difference for me. I am not allowed to have any overtime because they cannot afford to pay me for it. Once a month I have to work five hours on a Saturday, and I am required to either come in an hour late, leave an hour early, or do something that week which makes it so I only work 35 hours during the week. Coming in an hour late is nice but I'd much much rather have the overtime pay.

Edit: Hmm, this is only for salaried and not hourly wages. So I guess it doesn't apply to me. Still, my work and over time situation still sucks.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    fuuuck that, Liiya. Just stand there, you'll sweat just the same.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    I have told my manager not to expect me tomorrow

because on the way to work I will probably have simply died

turned into a dessicated husk

• Options
    You got that right!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    It's what, 26 degrees C over there right now?

That's almost exactly what we're at right now and it's pretty great! We're actually slightly below average right now.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I would go swimming but I imagine half of Manchester has the same idea. Urrrgh.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2015
    You know

Every once in a while, when I'm sitting in this office shivering my ass off because it's invariably colder than fuck in here, I'll miss the days when my work consisted of 8 hours of walking with a weed eater in my hands or a leaf blower on my back in the 103-degree Texas heat. Or 39.4 degrees C.

The simple fact that I got used to, and generally prefer that type of heat is a testament to the sheer amount of shit the human body can adapt to. It also kept me in damn good shape.

cr0w on
  • Options

That's almost exactly what we're at right now and it's pretty great! We're actually slightly below average right now.

woah it was 27 C over here today

and

a nightmare

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

woah it was 27 C over here today

and

a nightmare

27 C? I wish it would be that cool for me. 80 F would be pretty nice now when daily highs are going to be 90F+ (that's ~32 C) most days until September. And probably a minimum 50% humidity for the same time-frame. :bigfrown:

But I'm not walking for 45 minutes in that heat.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No its a billion degrees.

• Options
  • Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    No its a billion degrees.

It's essentially what I imagine the fires of hell to be like

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    my car's busted to the point where I have to blast the heater to keep the engine from overheating

suffice it to say, it's been... quite a trial commuting

at least SoCal has dry heat. i'd probably die if humidity was also a factor

• Options
    no solar you can't agree that wasn't - that was a different -
    aaaaarrrrghghhghghghghghg

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    no solar you can't agree that wasn't - that was a different -
    aaaaarrrrghghhghghghghghg

IT WAS APPROPRIATE

• Options
    Everyone keeps saying SoCal has dry heat. No, we really don't.

Lancaster: 76% humidity (this is the Mojave Desert)
    El Cajon: 51% humidity (my home)

• Options
  • Options
    as far as i'm concerned, Los Angeles IS SoCal narf

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    my car's busted to the point where I have to blast the heater to keep the engine from overheating

You probably just need a new radiator fan.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's days like that that have me really upset no one has uploaded the bit from King of the Hill where Dale is talking about global warming and Hank threatens to kick his ass if it gets one degree hotter.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    as far as i'm concerned, Los Angeles IS SoCal narf

Los Angeles always has weird weather compared to the rest of SoCal. You guys don't even get winter. I'd leave from Lancaster where my hands are freezing, get to Los Angeles on the bus, and have to take off my coat because I'm burning up.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »

admittedly i've been avoiding taking my car to the mechanic cause i'm scared of the expenses

but hey, i can totally afford a radiator fan replacement, that is, if the results of this online repair cost estimator are accurate

balerbower on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This might be more appropriate in the Euro thread, but it impacts my job so anyway. Some dude started an IndieGoGo campaign to bail out Greece and it's proved so popular that the whole site keeps crashing.

This is not helping my attempts to raise money for the dramatic arts!

tynic on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    They keep it so cold at my job. Mainly to keep the very expensive machines happy. But it has made my drive home bearable. My air conditioner is broken, and it's gotten up to 90-100F recently. The first half drive is just warming myself up. It doesn't get too hot unless I get stuck in traffic.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    You win, Bad-Beat, that is gross weather.

I'm due to go for a run tomorrow, no fucking way.

I went for a bike ride after work, 3 hours and most of it at more than 26C except for the last half hour or so.

I'd have hated walking or running but out on the bike in the lanes - lovely. And the stop to gaze over the local reservoir whilst drinking a beer was really rather pleasant. The effect the suncream had on any bugs I cycled into was less good.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

admittedly i've been avoiding taking my car to the mechanic cause i'm scared of the expenses

but hey, i can totally afford a radiator fan replacement, that is, if the results of this online repair cost estimator are accurate

It should be easy to tell. It is usually just a plastic fan in front or behind the radiator. Turn the car on, wait for it to heat up. Look to see if the fan is moving. They get stripped easily, and you will just see the fan sit there instead of spin.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
This discussion has been closed.