As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    how do I even respond to that? Why would you talk like this to your employee?!

You don't. It's an unprofessional, abusive guilt trip. Take it to HR and let them know you don't need that shit.

I mean, the guy knows we turned him in for telling us to steal and sexual harassment of both an employee and customers. Does he think I want to see him keep his job at this point?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    how do I even respond to that? Why would you talk like this to your employee?!

You don't. It's an unprofessional, abusive guilt trip. Take it to HR and let them know you don't need that shit.

I mean, the guy knows we turned him in for telling us to steal and sexual harassment of both an employee and customers. Does he think I want to see him keep his job at this point?

That is beside the point. It is completely unprofessional for a supervisor to ask a subordinate for anything outside of work. Not only does he get paid more than you but it's incredibly easy to abuse because of the power dynamic. The second a supervisor thinks they can even ask that it's time for you to see HR, tell them what's up, and tell them this isn't cool. You need to talk to his other subordinates and get them in there if he's asked them for things too.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think one of our support people has been replaced by a different actor. She sort of looks similar, but I am wondering if we've replaced somebody with somebody else of the same name and I didn't notice.

Or they lost lots of face weight, changed their hair colour & style and replaced their working wardrobe

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I was going through tickets for old products that I (and really no one else) don't really work on anymore.

One was titled "Crash".
    It was a bunch of log lines that happened to be before the aforementioned crash, and a bt in of the core.
    Resolved. Working as designed.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    At work we have not had a store Manager for over a month
    Even though I have seen our former manager with some people looting the stuff out back and quickly loading it into a pick up no one knows if he was fired or transferred or what.
    So one of the assistant managers has taken upon himself that since there is no one above him he can do what he wants
    Which is basically bullying
    He threatens people with the loss of their job to do things come in extra days or stay after even though we are on a very anti overtime order

The problem is who do we talk to since they even gutted the regional managers in this area

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @Bucketman There are plenty of other ways he could have gotten to work without his car, a taxi if nothing else.

• Options
    Hell I walk to work it's a mile and a half to do it
    I get harassed by cops and things thrown at me all the time yet I continue to walk to work
    I have walked to work in high winds where I joked about taking my coat to act as wings and catching the breeze to work. Rain and snow from light to heavy.
    Yet I continue to walk to work
    Those that call in because of the weather I feel are wusses as I got to that hell why can't they?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Ahhh, the joys of working for a national museum on a national holiday.

On the other hand, the day's toil consists of helping to herd around the kid's fair the place is holding as opposed to my usual office-dronership, so yay.

(On the gripping hand, time to transform into an extrovert for the day! wheeeeee)

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Heard around the office today:

Person 1: Wow there's a lot of guys requesting name changes today
    Person 2: Yup
    Person 1: I wonder why that is?
    Person 2: ...wait for it
    Person 1:
    Person 2:
    Person 1: ooooooh

I miss something?

EDIT: Ah, new page.

Anyway, update to the previous post: I talked to the IT guy in my building and he told me to get my A+ certification and take the civil service test, so I will be doing both of those things ASAP.

@Goose! Did the IT guy explain why you should get A+ instead of, say, Network+? I think the latter would do more for you. A+ is the super basics like, "From these pictured devices, select the 'mouse'".

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    One of the guys in my department had an inflatable Batman figure that's roughly the size of a three year old. I use the past tense because Batman was kidnapped late last week. Since the kidnapping, a ransom note spelled out with magazine clippings had been left at the poor man's desk extorting one million dollars, milk and cookies. Various photos have also been left showing the hostage being threatened with a safety pin, scanning documents, answering the phone and squatting on the toilet.

Batman's owner paid the ransom with a single bill worth one million dollars (totally not fake, President Bob Saget was on the front), milk and a bag of vending machine Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies.

I just saw the response of:

"we got the ransom but we prefer oreoes so this will cost you"

The suspense is terrible; I hope it lasts.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Today was a good morning.

We spent ages looking for our lions because they were deep in a block and hard to get to. Eventually found them though and they had just taken down an adult female giraffe. Because it was such a difficult location we got them to ourselves for quite a while before game drives started turning up.

(spoilered for grim. Because nature is brutal)
    Turns out the giraffe was pregnant, and the lions were in the process of trying to get to the fetus. This is the second time in recent weeks they've killed a pregnant giraffe and the previous one they ate the baby and left the mother untouched. They clearly have a taste for giraffe veal.

Glad we didn't give up despite the terrain being so difficult because it was an awesome sighting, and all the game drives were really happy with us for finding them.

Then on the way back to base we stopped at a lodge that does horse trails for coffee, and sat watching their horses which are let out to roam the area every day. I've never seen that many horses running around together before so it was fantastic to see.

Also my dad is out of hospital and back home. They don't know what caused his seizures yet but think maybe stress. He's probably going to retire now. I'm just happy he's home and okay.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Glad to hear your dad is home!

• Options
    One of the guys in my department had an inflatable Batman figure that's roughly the size of a three year old. I use the past tense because Batman was kidnapped late last week. Since the kidnapping, a ransom note spelled out with magazine clippings had been left at the poor man's desk extorting one million dollars, milk and cookies. Various photos have also been left showing the hostage being threatened with a safety pin, scanning documents, answering the phone and squatting on the toilet.

Batman's owner paid the ransom with a single bill worth one million dollars (totally not fake, President Bob Saget was on the front), milk and a bag of vending machine Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies.

I would give them Golden Oreos
    The ambrosia of oreo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Glad to hear your dad is home!

Thanks. He is going to be pissed because having more seizures means his driving license gets suspended for another 12 months, and he's just bought a new car. But on the morning when he went into hospital they thought maybe he'd had a bleed or clot on the brain, so the fact that he hadn't and he's basically okay again now is a huge relief.

• Options

"Riddle me this: what's black and white and delicious all over? "

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying SoCal has dry heat. No, we really don't.

Lancaster: 76% humidity (this is the Mojave Desert)
    El Cajon: 51% humidity (my home)

Gee I'd like something sub 90 tbh. Our humidity is 70 after it rains.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

"Riddle me this: what's black and white and delicious all over? "

When SCOTUS makes it legal to marry red pandas, there's going to be a line all the way around your neighborhood.

• Options
    Dammit, 'gay-borhood' was right there and I totally dropped the ball.

DAMMIT.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof what is a game drive?

Also your job sounds so amazing. I'm glad you post about it here.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Game drive is a drive that goes out and looks for game (animals). Technically what we do with our volunteers is a game drive but it tends to be referred to as a research drive, and "game drives" are those that go out from safari lodges with tourists.

And yeah it is amazing. I can't really believe what I'm doing now is considered work.

Have a pic from this morning!

QtW9HRZ.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kitty!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Who likes belly scratches?

• Options
    Is that a Senegal lion? Or is it just a young male (I see spots still) ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I take it that was snapped soon after the "meal"?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's a male that has a wispy chin whiskers, a neckbeard, a horrible haircut, and looks like it badly needs a shower.

So it hits all the hallmarks of an adolescent.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Speaking of heat and such

The AC in my car is not working properly

Currently it's working, but every few weeks I need to get the freon refilled, and the mechanic has put in dye repeatedly and can't seem to find the leak

First time I let it run WAY out (like, it ran out of freon and I drove it for an extra month+ before bringing it in), so the last time I noticed it starting to not get cool so I brought it in (ON MY BIRTHDAY) to see if it would help to bring it in BEFORE it completely ran out. Apparently not. So what they asked me to do was let it run hot before bringing it in. In Florida. In the summer. When I only have a 3 hour window that I am off work and they are open.

I am not looking forward to this.

They're basically stringing you along to get you to agree to a full overhaul of the refrigerant system. Likely you have just one bad seal or a minor crack on a pipe somewhere. Options are basically, pay up at the current shop for an overhaul, or try a different shop.

It's not that kind of shop.
    Or maybe the condenser is clogged?

It's a freon leak. So it may be leaking from the condenser, but they've looked at it repeatedly and are not quite sure where it's leaking from.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I think if they were interested in just getting more money, they would have made us pay for the freon either time

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

It's a male that has a wispy chin whiskers, a neckbeard, a horrible haircut, and looks like it badly needs a shower.
    Grumple gater?

Alt answer:
    *tips hat*
    M'lady

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Speaking of heat and such

The AC in my car is not working properly

Currently it's working, but every few weeks I need to get the freon refilled, and the mechanic has put in dye repeatedly and can't seem to find the leak

First time I let it run WAY out (like, it ran out of freon and I drove it for an extra month+ before bringing it in), so the last time I noticed it starting to not get cool so I brought it in (ON MY BIRTHDAY) to see if it would help to bring it in BEFORE it completely ran out. Apparently not. So what they asked me to do was let it run hot before bringing it in. In Florida. In the summer. When I only have a 3 hour window that I am off work and they are open.

I am not looking forward to this.

They're basically stringing you along to get you to agree to a full overhaul of the refrigerant system. Likely you have just one bad seal or a minor crack on a pipe somewhere. Options are basically, pay up at the current shop for an overhaul, or try a different shop.

It's not that kind of shop.
    Or maybe the condenser is clogged?

It's a freon leak. So it may be leaking from the condenser, but they've looked at it repeatedly and are not quite sure where it's leaking from.

Are you using a dealership? Condenser or hoses/seals are the normal leak spots. If they can't find it with UV dye, it's probably the evaporator which means you'd have to strip the car's dash apart to find it.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    So a new position is opening up at my agency. Higher pay grade, more interesting stuff to do. I'm having serious anxiety just thinking about applying, just because I know how goofy this place can be sometimes. I'm afraid of Peter Principlining my way out the door. Is there a red panda equivalent for encouraging people to apply for jobs?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Who likes belly scratches?

I do!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "Hey Coworker what're you doing here you were scheduled to be in the mailroom today."

"Oh I know."

*ten minutes pass*

"Uh, Coworker, why are you still here?"

"Just a minute, I'll be gone soon."

*ten more minutes pass*

"Coworker you need to either get to the mailroom or call them right now, you're half an hour late and they don't know where you are."

"I just had to come in here for something I'll be gone soon!"

So now I need to inform my supervisor when she gets in because going off the grid from your assigned location and not informing them is 100% not okay in a prison. Especially when the mailroom duty is not optional and was mandated by the Warden himself.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    "Hey Coworker what're you doing here you were scheduled to be in the mailroom today."

"Oh I know."

*ten minutes pass*

*ten more minutes pass*

"Coworker you need to either get to the mailroom or call them right now, you're half an hour late and they don't know where you are."

So now I need to inform my supervisor when she gets in because going off the grid from your assigned location and not informing them is 100% not okay in a prison. Especially when the mailroom duty is not optional and was mandated by the Warden himself.

So what were they actually doing?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

"Oh I know."

*ten minutes pass*

*ten more minutes pass*

Damned if I know. Puttering around the office so far as I could tell when she came in my line of sight.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

"Oh I know."

*ten minutes pass*

*ten more minutes pass*

Damned if I know. Puttering around the office so far as I could tell when she came in my line of sight.

The administration office of a prison seems like an odd place for a putt-putt course, but what do I know about golf? Nothing, that's what.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    @Bucketman There are plenty of other ways he could have gotten to work without his car, a taxi if nothing else.

Well I will say hes driving from Milwauke, Wisconson to Valparaiso Indiana everyday, so to the very least of his credit he can't actually do that.

Today our HR lady went through and made sure to add the needed lunch punches to people who don't have them, or making sure they are a full half hour. She added 4 to me that I never took even though I was suppose to. I emailed her letting her know the reason I never took a lunch those days is because my manager left before letting me take one, or didn't show up at all so I was alone in the store and unable to take a lunch.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Well I will say hes driving from Milwauke, Wisconson to Valparaiso Indiana everyday, so to the very least of his credit he can't actually do that.

Today our HR lady went through and made sure to add the needed lunch punches to people who don't have them, or making sure they are a full half hour. She added 4 to me that I never took even though I was suppose to. I emailed her letting her know the reason I never took a lunch those days is because my manager left before letting me take one, or didn't show up at all so I was alone in the store and unable to take a lunch.

He commutes from Milwaukee to Valpo every single day? Man, what people will do for work. That commute would kill me.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Our chat program was down this morning. The IT guy had to remote connect to my computer for an hour and a half to fix it, during which I really couldn't do anything. Yay.

After he fixes it, I go to tell one of the more junior people to hop back on. I see him working on his resume. After In his very visible cube. After I told him it was likely that IT guy would need to remote connect to his computer as well.

I get that he might want to look for work elsewhere, but there's a time and a place, y'know?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    jgeis wrote: »

He commutes from Milwaukee to Valpo every single day? Man, what people will do for work. That commute would kill me.

Seriously, what the fuck. That is kind of absurd.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Knowing more about the networking, and specifically how our network is setup and functioning, than the network guy who has received CCNA training is extremely frustrating.

zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.