As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    @Bucketman There are plenty of other ways he could have gotten to work without his car, a taxi if nothing else.

Well I will say hes driving from Milwauke, Wisconson to Valparaiso Indiana everyday, so to the very least of his credit he can't actually do that.

Today our HR lady went through and made sure to add the needed lunch punches to people who don't have them, or making sure they are a full half hour. She added 4 to me that I never took even though I was suppose to. I emailed her letting her know the reason I never took a lunch those days is because my manager left before letting me take one, or didn't show up at all so I was alone in the store and unable to take a lunch.

He commutes from Milwaukee to Valpo every single day? Man, what people will do for work. That commute would kill me.

Yes, Well not everyday. Its suppose to be 6 days a week, but I'm the one working 6 days a week. And we had an order I made for a customer come in yesterday, typically you invoice it out when they come to pick it up, and she told me yesterday shed be in Friday to get it. So that would be a nice start to the July comission period to me. he rang it out yesterday on the last day of June so he could hit the Store comission amount, which only he gets pay out for. It actually ruined my last day of June comission because the person didn't get insurance with it, but on top of that she didn't pay....but he rang it out like she did. I'm pretty sure thats super against policy.

• Options
    Also I think hes an ex-con and can't get a job in Wisconson. He talks a lot about being a former Marine, and he has these tribal tattoos and I asked him if he got them in the service and he just said No. I asked what shop he got them from and he just said "I didn't get them in the shop, I got them....lets just say it was from my roommate" and he said he activly can't get a job back home, and he missed worked a few times for court dates.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Wow what the fuck

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Bucketman everything you've said in this thread about your manager makes me think you regular associates (or whatever title you guys go by) should be actively working against him.

It's one thing to be kind of an ass, it's another thing to break policy and screw over your employees.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah so he stole commission from you correct?

• Options
    We are! There are only two of us for now. Like, we get customer reviews now and again, I've had 3 10's and a 9. Hes had 2 0's but hes friends with the DM so he gets away with it.

• Options
    We are! There are only two of us for now. Like, we get customer reviews now and again, I've had 3 10's and a 9. Hes had 2 0's but hes friends with the DM so he gets away with it.

I hate this shit and am very glad you guys are actively working against him with HR, etc.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So had my interview. I'm positive about it. When he was explaining the job, he kept phrasing it like I would be doing it.

"You'll do perimeter checks and you'll use the security car for that. Some weekends you'll need to work in Frankfurt, they'll train you for that." Then said he'd call in four days or so after the background check gets back.

He asked if I'd ever worked security before, I said no, and he said good. Turns out, the job is mostly data entry, tracking trucks going in and out of the plant, their temperatures, weights, etc.

Fucking fine with me.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Sad to say, there are actually former marines out there that are classified as Bravo Foxtrot, but I've only ever met/served with a couple.
    Buddy Fuckers a.k.a. people who mess over their teammates for solitary gain.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah so he stole commission from you correct?

Basically Managers get two levels of comission, Personal like everyone else and Store based which is based on the store performance. By ringing that through, which if she had come to get the phone I would have been ok with, he JUST hit the store to comission for himself, but because she didn't get insurance I lose points on my comission stack and it took me just under what qualifies you to earn a comission payout.

So sort of

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Also known as Blue Falcons.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Also known as Blue Falcons.

I learned this from the Terminal Lance webcomic.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I don't even know how HR can even help. This whole corporation seems corrupt from the top down.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    NASA re-posted the job.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Sad to say, there are actually former marines out there that are classified as Bravo Foxtrot, but I've only ever met/served with a couple.

Holy shit I really wish I joined the marines instead of the air force then.

• Options

I dunno, there's a lot of hypermasculine grabass horseplay, dudes are constantly walking around shirtless or showing off their genitals as part of a prank, they obsess about working out and fitness so they're always in the gym flexing and lifting ... and a blind survey in 1999 disclosed that one in four marines had willingly participated in non-heteronormative yet consensual sex acts.

Yeah, you probably would have hated it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    ha

I know, you really feel bad for those poor boys participating in all that homoerotic activity while enjoying it.
    Don't feel bad for them, they know exactly how ridiculous they look and they revel in it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Darth Waiter is Terminal Lance in any way indicative of the average Marine?

• Options
    Ha, so now the DM is saying that even though I came in early and was told I could leave early accordingly, I have to stay my full shift, until 7, and he still has no idea whats going on for close because hes 2 hours away at a store and "Won't drive 2 hours for 1 hour of work."

Fuck this place.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. My school's principal is getting honored at the White House right now because of the academy we have.

I made the ordering system for that academy!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Madican wrote: »

Dunno, I'll look it up when I get off work and let you know.

Edit: Step off, Geth.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I dunno, there's a lot of hypermasculine grabass horseplay, dudes are constantly walking around shirtless or showing off their genitals as part of a prank, they obsess about working out and fitness so they're always in the gym flexing and lifting ... and a blind survey in 1999 disclosed that one in four marines had willingly participated in non-heteronormative yet consensual sex acts.

The Air Force is no different. We've all seen Top Gun.

• Options
    Ha, so now the DM is saying that even though I came in early and was told I could leave early accordingly, I have to stay my full shift, until 7, and he still has no idea whats going on for close because hes 2 hours away at a store and "Won't drive 2 hours for 1 hour of work."

Fuck this place.

You know you're gonna be there all day, right?

Like....like you knew that was going to happen when you volunteered to open, didn't you?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Fuck this place.

Like....like you knew that was going to happen when you volunteered to open, didn't you?

Well I was told if I came in early I'd get to leave early. Keeping in mind I was already scheduled 48 hours this week, and not to mention the half hour lunch break I will be clocked out for even though I didn't take it.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Welp, I think it can be said that the museum had a busy day. Gah.

Week after the reopening and if it wasn't the most packed-to-the-gills day in, oh, the last five years I'd be surprised.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

That's Navy!

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Fuck this place.

Well I was told if I came in early I'd get to leave early. Keeping in mind I was already scheduled 48 hours this week, and not to mention the half hour lunch break I will be clocked out for even though I didn't take it.

Payroll cannot forcibly clock you out if you did not take the time off. If they do, and you report to them that you didn't, they have to go back and fix it. If they don't, it goes way beyond HR/Payroll at that point, they're stealing from you, you get the gov't involved.

• Options
    KosenjouKosenjou Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Not DW but based on my time on active duty, I think Terminal Lance is a very good look at the Corps from the viewpoint of the non-rate (non-NCO or Officer) Marine. I have yet to read a strip where I couldn't identify every character with someone I knew.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

That's Navy!

shame. I'll have to re-watch as penance.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Keep track of all the times you were clocked out for breaks that you didn't take. Once you leave you complain to the State Dept of Labor and if you have documentation you will have a pretty good chance of getting back pay.

• Options
    Thats the plan, as soon as I get this other job lined up. I get an interview set up on the 21st today. As soon as thats secured, I will be going to the Department of Labor with copies of all the ignored emails I've sent to our HR payroll people about this.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

On a legality scale from "yes" to "no" that's a firm "no" in just about any place I'm aware of. Even the fairly hahafuckyou states/provinces tend to frown on wage theft when it's that explicit.

I had to have that fight twice with a previous employer; it's one of those inches you really don't want to let them take. If an employer gets it in their head that you won't say something when they steal from you, they'll decide doing so is cost-effective and run pretty far with it.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod

That's Navy!

shame. I'll have to re-watch as penance.
    Well, good then. I almost had to infract you! :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Like seriously I'd be publicly shaming them as a company if they did that to me.

• Options
    I've noticed thats a thing this company seems to do. A few months before I got hired they changed from a pure 10% comission scale to this weird point based system where the stores that do $1000 a day in sales have to hit the same goals as the stores in downtown Chicago that do $5000, so most employees rarely make comission. For instance, last pay period I sold around 6k worth of product but hit my goals, and exceeded some of them. I made and extra $700 which was awesome, this one that just ended, I sold 4k and only hit half my goals, so I get $0. Even the top people who use to make $2-3k extra a check are only making a little over a grand per comission check now.

It was set up to pay their employees less and keep more for them.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

On a legality scale from "yes" to "no" that's a firm "no" in just about any place I'm aware of. Even the fairly hahafuckyou states/provinces tend to frown on wage theft when it's that explicit.

I had to have that fight twice with a previous employer; it's one of those inches you really don't want to let them take. If an employer gets it in their head that you won't say something when they steal from you, they'll decide doing so is cost-effective and run pretty far with it.

Generally they can do it with the person's permission.

If Bucketman is signing the timecards after the change and initialing the modifications, there's a good chance that there's fuckall to be done.

Generally in the states, the company will be dinged if a person doesn't take the appropriate lunches and breaks. It's to make sure they always keep enough staff on at all times. However, if the person elected to take an unpaid lunch and keep working, that's on them.

I used to get around this by marking my time card with a big X through the lunch times. And then refusing to sign the modifications.

DoL or the state/country equivalent would likely still frown on this if they knew modifications were happening without someone's permissions in order to save a few dollars. Bucketman will likely be able to recoup it, but it might be a PITA and it might take a while.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That really sucks. I bitch a lot about my current situation, but at least there's a thin veil of legitimacy to what they're doing in my case.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've noticed thats a thing this company seems to do. A few months before I got hired they changed from a pure 10% comission scale to this weird point based system where the stores that do $1000 a day in sales have to hit the same goals as the stores in downtown Chicago that do $5000, so most employees rarely make comission. For instance, last pay period I sold around 6k worth of product but hit my goals, and exceeded some of them. I made and extra $700 which was awesome, this one that just ended, I sold 4k and only hit half my goals, so I get $0. Even the top people who use to make $2-3k extra a check are only making a little over a grand per comission check now.

It was set up to pay their employees less and keep more for them.

What a great way to improve morale and create incentive for people to sell more!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Generally they can do it with the person's permission.

If Bucketman is signing the timecards after the change and initialing the modifications, there's a good chance that there's fuckall to be done.

Generally in the states, the company will be dinged if a person doesn't take the appropriate lunches and breaks. It's to make sure they always keep enough staff on at all times. However, if the person elected to take an unpaid lunch and keep working, that's on them.

I used to get around this by marking my time card with a big X through the lunch times. And then refusing to sign the modifications.

DoL or the state/country equivalent would likely still frown on this if they knew modifications were happening without someone's permissions in order to save a few dollars. Bucketman will likely be able to recoup it, but it might be a PITA and it might take a while.

Wel none of us every agreed to it (they do it to everyone) and we actually don't have access to even see our punches, only managers and above do. What we do get is a in system message when a punch is changed.

This discussion has been closed.