Options

I just met Apnea

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I met Brian Footwork Green once.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I met Douglas Adams back in my teenage years, but it was at a book signing for Mostly Harmless, so it probably doesn't count.

My best happenstance celebrity meeting was Dave Arneson, the less famous creator of Dungeons and Dragons, in an elevator. Even then, it was at Gen Con, so the odds were pretty good.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I went to a lot of Star Trek conventions when I was a kid, because I've pretty much always been a huge nerd.

I did, too! I have an autograph from Majell Barrett aka Nurse Chapel aka Lwaxana Troi aka voice of computer.

If we count conventions I have photos with Stan Lee and Norman Reedus.

Not counting conventions, I've met a couple of singers through various functions and I went to school with a woman who has hosted a couple of national television shows.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't think I've bumped into anyone famous on the street or anything, I've met a variety of cool people at concerts/conventions/book signings/etc otherwise

my dad on the other hand had a literal run in with tom cruise when he accidentally walked into the middle of a minority report shoot

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I've met Scott Stantis, the political cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune. (Also the guy who started Prickly City and The Buckets.) It was pretty cool. I showed him how to use layers in photoshop and he gave me a piece of original art.)

I also got to meet one of my favorite authors, Joseph Delaney, in the 8th grade when I refused to go on the trip to DC. The move The Seventh Son is based off his first two books. (And basically did a The Last Airbender to the source material, if you ask me.) It was awesome. I got to listen to my favorite author talk about his writing/creative process and think outloud about where the heck he was going with his plot, which was so, so fun. He hadn't done a tour in the US yet, didn't really know what he was doing, and spoiled basically several major plot points to the Wardstone Chronicles while his editor facepalmed.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Ollie moss and Andrew hussie were both regulars in the AC back in the day. I might still have art that moss and I doodled together.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    when i was around 8 years old i was in the toronto hospital for sick children for my digestive issues.

a couple toronto maple leafs players came to visit random kids and i was lucky enough to meet them.

i have no idea who they were, i dont give a fuck about hockey - never have, never will - and i told them as much but in a much more polite way. like it could have been two hockey superstars for all i know but they were just regular dudes to me.

still i give them credit for visiting sick kids who are stuck in hospitals. it just makes me laugh when i think back on the situation. "this is blah and blah from the maple leafs!"

who? so?

look am i better yet, can i go home?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    When I was a much smaller and younger person I met Katy Hill who was a Blue Peter presenter at a train museum

she was very nice and friendly!

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    At a convention years back, I met Rich Burlew (Creator of The Order of the Stick webcomic) a few times over the weekend that it was going on. My friends and I stopped by his booth where they bought a couple of his books, he did sketches in them for them and was generally just a pleasant guy to talk to, but I didn't really...know the strip at all, so I kinda stayed back. That night, I delved into the books since my friends were way into it and dug it and the next day, he had a Q&A session so we decided to go to that.

The room was pretty small, but it was full of people. It started pretty good, a few people asking questions but not even fifteen minutes into it (I think he had an hour's worth of time? It was a while ago) he goes "Okay, next question?" and there was this uncomfortable silence as everyone just sorta looked around and waited for other people to ask him things. So, I did. I forget what I asked, but it doesn't really matter, he answered and again put it out there for a new question.

More silence.

So I asked him another question. And another. And basically what was supposed to be an open Q&A turned into an interview from someone who wasn't too knowledgeable on the strip and the creator of it with a couple other people finally joining in once the ice was sufficiently broken.

The thing ended, we all dispersed and later on I decided to stop by his booth to buy the books he had out (just three at the time and one of them was brand new) because he seemed like a cool dude and he recognizes me and goes, "Oh hey man, thanks a lot for that up there. I thought that whole thing was going to crash and burn." I got a sketch in all three books and I think like a pin or a couple other things for it. It was pretty cool!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I met R.A. Salvatore and got @Metzger Meister his autograph. I'd written it down on a different page for him to reference and it was pretty funny to see him flip back and forth to the reference with a wtf expression.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Met Debra Winger on the set of Shadowlands as a kid, because her son was having a birthday party and so they asked any nearby kids if they wanted to join in and watch the clown they'd hired.
    Said hi to Rodney Mullen who was to be skateboarding by himself in the middle of Bristol as my sister, brother, and I walked past. And while trying to be polite, I said "nah, no thanks" to Newton Faulkner when he asked if I wanted a picture with him, which probably came across as quite rude in hindsight.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I was friends with Hugo Weaving's children throughout school. Lived up the road from them. They had pet turtles. Lovely people.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I haven't met any celebrities in any sort of personal manner.

But I have been given a reliable rumor that Bill Murray is going to be having dinner at a restaurant in town tonight. I'm hoping if turns out to be true and I can meet him either before or after his meal.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    every time I read it the thread title I think metal's been diagnosed with a sleep disorder.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Got to meet Van Hagar a while back.

Very surprised how they put on a big act in front of everyone since supposedly it was in the middle of Eddie and Sammy's feud.

Also pretty sure I'm the subject of a PvP comic from around the 2003/4 SDCC. There's a panel of two rather large gentlemen, one bald and another with glasses, and the glasses one is explaining the comic to the other but ultimately says that PA is better. And I pretty much said these exact words to my cousin, who shaves his head.

Also got to meet the voice cast of Resident Evil 5.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I met a guy who was suing the Wachowskis because he claims they ripped off his screenplay, The Immortals, for the two Matrix sequels. He was weird but not in a bad way, and intense, knew a lot of theology/metaphysics.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    The guys in Sevendust are always very good to their fans. Love them, they vaguely remember me now after being in the front row rocking out for a dozen shows over the years and doing a couple meat and greets.
    Devin Townsend is kind of a shy dude but has that Canadian hospitality. He'd be a great guy to sip coffee and shoot the shit with for an hour. I got him to autograph my snare drum in silver paint pen, sprayed clear lacquer over it. One of the first things my new band asked me is "Who's Devy?" and I had to explain about my obsession.
    Spent most of a day hanging out with Weird Al's drummer, Bermuda, at a convention. Jovial guy, very level-headed with some great insights into the business.

I would dearly like to meet Les Claypool some day and get his autograph on my snare drum as well, Primus is playing a show up in Holyoke MA this summer, I might try to make it happen. I'd love to get Geddy Lee as well, but that would be a TOUGH get.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Somebody on the forums helped Gary Larson move once. I can't for the life of me remember who it was

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Accidentally met Robert Plant and the kid who plays the blonde kid in The Hunger Game working security at Bonaroo this year.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've bumped into anyone famous on the street or anything, I've met a variety of cool people at concerts/conventions/book signings/etc otherwise

my dad on the other hand had a literal run in with tom cruise when he accidentally walked into the middle of a minority report shoot

When I lived up in Idaho with my dad, he used to go skiing in Sun Valley and met a few people up there. He actually went skiing with Bruce Willis for a bit. He told his girlfriend at the time and she didn't believe him, till this sedan rolls up, the window rolls down and Bruce says hi and thanks him for the afternoon, then drives off.

He also met Rick Wakeman several times, and is semi-personal friends with the current bassist for Bachman-Turner (who we got to meet backstage).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Bill Pullman once slept over at my boyfriend's house when he was a kid. Apparently, Bill got very lost while motorcycling and ended up at his dad's place. Instead of giving him directions and sending him off in the middle of the night, they let him sleep in the guest room. I don't know if this was before Spaceballs, but it was definitely before Independence Day.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I did childcare for Jay Chandrasekhar for a couple of years, the guy behind and starring in Super Troopers. Very nice guy and family, his wife is very kind and his kids are adorable.

Regulars at my current work include Mario Lopez (saves by the bell), Jenna Fischer (Pam from the office) and Amanda Bynes. They are all very polite, down to earth customers and the only reason why I know who they are is that people have told me.

I met Gabe and Tycho at a convention. Got them to sign a poster, but didn't really say much else, I was shy.

I was friends with Mary Cagle in Japan and played Pathfinder weekly with her. She is awesome l, really fun and funny, and her ability to whip out the most adorable drawings in small periods of time is just amazing. I miss her and wish her the best in life.

Uhhh, I think that's everyone.

• Options
    My grandparents used to live on the same street as Farley Mowat. They went to the same church (which was on the same street) and they were later all buried and had their funerals at the same church.

I always thought that was cool.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've met Josh Sitton (O-lineman for Green Bay) twice. Thomas Jane in a hallway at comic con, he was nice. I offered him pain pills because his leg hurt, he opined that it would probably be safer to not take pills from strangers. I agreed and then he stared at Supergirls ass and we parted ways. Later, the creator of 30 Days of Night threatened to kill me.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I could have met Mr. T at the mall once. The entire day, I kept saying, "I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I met tito

worst fucking day of my life

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I regularly interact with @crwth and he's literally the biggest sack of garbage in the world

Got a plaque and everything

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've met Laura Ingram AND Neal Bortz.

...Look, I was a shitty teenager.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Oh, of course, I met Brian Jacques when I was a kid. He went around to different libraries and the like and signed his books and read them allowed, and I heard him read Redwall allowed in person and talked to him a bit. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember it all that well though.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I met Al Franken when he was on campus, running for the seat. I also met Michelle Bachmann on campus. I was much more excited about one than the other.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I met marc emery a couple of times

he was kind of really full of himself.

he had good weed

really good

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

he had good weed

really good

Well the guy did have access to some of the top strains seeds across BC area, he better have had really good weed!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    back in 2003 I got to meet as part of a USO tour some playboy models in Afghanistan
    SInce it was close to Valentines they gave out valetines
    They posed for photos with those who had camera and such

I still have the valentines I just have to find where I put them

What will always stick with me about this is how tiny these women were and the hardware their bodyguards had

• Options

he had good weed

really good

Well the guy did have access to some of the top strains seeds across BC area, he better have had really good weed!

yeah it was awesome.

It was during this brief period in like...... 2004? 2005? When weed was "not illegal" in Canada because of the courts or something, I don't remember clearly because of a related topic I can't quite remember....

but yeah he came to my university and gave a talk about why weed is the greatest thing ever and how it cures all diseases and blah blah blah it was total horseshit lies (like 90% of it anyways). Afterwards though, hes like.... so who wants to get high?

Everyone. The answer is everyone.

So like 20 of us went back to his hotel room just off campus and he just hands out weed.

Drops these two massive buds in front of me that just turn to dust with a flick of my fingers

it was great

he tried to proposition my girlfriend which i was not happy about. Fucking skeezy motherfucker

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I've never met anyone cool.

:(

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

he had good weed

really good

Oh that reminds me I played paintball against one of the guys from Cypress Hill, his team was called Stoned Assassins and they shot hot and too much, buncha assholes really. So many welts.

• Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    I was at the White House family & friends Christmas party a couple years ago with my sister. We wandered around, sampling food and drinks (several drinks, really), and then crowded up with everyone when the President and the First Lady came out to make a speech. I had to catch my plane just after so we worked our way through the crowd.

As we got out of the crowd and started walking out of the main hall, I noticed a man standing by himself with his hands in his pockets. It was Laurence Fishburne.

I stopped suddenly, and just looked at him for a second. He noticed me looking at him and was clearly trying not to be noticed himself. Emboldened by the free drinks, I walked up to him without a word and stuck out my hand. He uncomfortably shook it as I murmured "I'm a big fan" and then I just walked off.

Creeped out Laurence Fishburne.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I met tito

worst fucking day of my life
    I regularly interact with crwth and he's literally the biggest sack of garbage in the world

Got a plaque and everything

hmm

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Growing up in Nova Scotia, I ran into the Trailer Park Boys and Jonathan Torrens on multiple occasions

I did a script reading with Ellen Page

I made Alanis Morissette very mad

I once accidentally challenged GSP to a fight

I high fived a shirtless Jeff Green

Gabe once threatened to buy me after I told him he was holding up a line

And the only celebrity autograph I ever got was from the dude that played Scorpion in the first Mortal Kombat film because I was 9 and that movie was my life

Edit: OH and I met Bill Nye after he gave a talk and asked him how the hell he keeps it together when he goes on Fox News and he just laughed

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!