Options

I just met Apnea

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    number13 wrote: »
    I met Scott Snyder once when my wife and I went to see The Dark Knight Rises. My wife went to get popcorn about five minutes before the movie started, and he scooted his way past me and sat down. It was dark, and my vision not being super great in the dark, I didn't recognize him or even really have a reason to give him a second glance. But we're both waiting for the movie to start and he casually goes, "You like Batman?" and I go, "Yeah, I'm actually a big comic fan." So, he gets a little excited and while not really saying who he is, says he works for DC on Batman and starts showing me some Joker stuff on his phone that Greg Capullo had sent him. I, dumbly, said I was a big fan of the Court of Owls stuff and he was very humble about it. After the movies came over and the lights came up I recognized him and got a little dumbstruck that I'd been fawning over his stuff, but I shook his hand and said it was nice talking to him and went on my way.

I love to imagine that Scott Snyder goes to comic movies and stuff and is always like

Hey
    Pssst, hey
    Do you like Batman

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've met Weird Al a couple of times, but for quick signings.

I met Rosie, Jamie Noble, and Spike Dudley in the press box at Wrestlemania 19

I've conducted phone interviews with Mark Hamill, Billy West, Wil Wheaton, Maurice LaMarche, and Tara Strong

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I met R.A. Salvatore and got @Metzger Meister his autograph. I'd written it down on a different page for him to reference and it was pretty funny to see him flip back and forth to the reference with a wtf expression.
    I got a spam email from R.A. Salvatore when his computer got a virus once.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've met people that are famous to me, but not to many others

Does anyone besides me consider Jon Wurster, of the comedy duo Scharpling & Wurster and The Best Show, drummer for Superchunk, The Mountain Goats, and Bob Mould famous

I imagine not

Yeah because apnea is a household name

It is in my household, because I have sleep apnea :P

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    965tl8weqxoj.jpg

image.jpg 1003.8K
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    He randomly walked into our shop about a month ago on a slow day. I made a joke about Oprah and he chuckled but honestly the dude seemed like he was either hungover or just off a plane

Super nice guy though- I was working in the kids shoes section of the store so I showed him what infant running shoes look like and sold him on a pair of socks.

E:I also once helped Daniel Baldwin and his daughters exchange some shoes they bought at a retail store for better fitting, cheaper versions but that was less exciting because I guess I only really know of the baldwin family through Alec and the one that was on the Donald trump show

I actually didn't even realize it was him until the person at the register checked his ID and told me later. Suddenly I recollected the jawline which seemed so familiar yet I could not place at the time.

He seemed like a pretty nice guy as well, his kids were adorable and fairly well mannered too so that goes a long way

E2: I guess I once ate dinner with Bogey and Tube and a few other people but none of them had well behaved children nor a substantial presence on vine/in my childhood so,

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    For those of you up in Washington if you've seen those Corliss Concrete trucks rolling around I am very familiar with the owners.

The crazy, crazy owners.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    One time my mom ran into David Grohl in the crowd at some ABBA cover band concert and she gave him her phone to text me a picture of the two of them
    so naturally I told him that I loved him but that ABBA sucks. we got into a text argument that ended with us agreeing to disagree and him making vaguely flirtatious comments about my mother

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I have no idea who is in that picture

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    My mother was a teacher at the Royal School of Theater when Nicolai Coster-Waldau was coming through, so I've met him back when he was still training to be an actor. Same with Lars Mikkelsen (House of Cards), Kim Bodnia (Rosewater), Ulrich Thomsen (Banshee)... I think I met Mads Mikkelsen at an award show. Basically every Danish actor who's made it in America, I attribute to them having met me at some point.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    It's Connor. Can't you read the nametag?

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have no idea who is who in that picture either, other than one is apparently named Connor.

• Options
    Ohhhhh Connor *slow nod*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I once chided James Marsden for reaching behind the jukebox and pushing the skip button at my local watering hole. You're not supposed to do that, just the staff gets to do that!

Someone leaned over after and said "do you know who that was" and no I didn't, and no I still don't care, you don't get to do that!

Pfft, it wasn't James Marsters, who cares.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    - Chuck Norris, Mako and Jonathan Brandis when they were filming Sidekicks here in Houston about ten bajillion years ago

- John Steakley twice

- Matt Bomer and Lee Pace when we were all still in high school

- A World War 1 Marine aviator at a Marine Corps Ball who faced the actual Red Baron and somehow didn't die

- Summer Glau at a convention, but only for about ten seconds

- Mike Scott, Astros pitcher

- Ozzie Smith, Cardinals shortstop

- Kevin Federline, total idiot

- Vince Voyeur, surprisingly witty

- K. Todd Freeman of Buffy

- John JB Bandy, the bartender who trained Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown for Cocktail ... we had an impromptu flair competition for something like an hour (the man is phenomenal)

I'll think on it some more, I've met lots of folks through the bar industry.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    Yeah, I have no idea who is who in that picture either, other than one is apparently named Connor.

It looks like josh from Nickelodeon show drake and josh

He was also the little chubby kid in snow day

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    - A World War 1 Marine aviator at a Marine Corps Ball who faced the actual Red Baron and somehow didn't die
    I have a huge amount of respect for this.

Not because he faced the Red Baron, but that he survived the war to this day. Air combat literally didn't exist before WW1, and the fact that he (and the Baron) mastered an entirely new skill where life expectancy was infamously referred to as "Twenty Minuters" in Blackadder Goes Forth is an amazing feat.

Quite frankly, you can take my random celebrities and shove them for someone who was on the forefront of something that we don't even give a second thought in this day and age.

• Options
    - Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, damn near every Houston Rocket ever, Tony Romo and many more of the Dallas Cowboys

- My mom hung out with Willie Nelson back before I was born; she maintains that she did *not* get high with him ... which is either a bald faced lie or a a sad truth. So, I'm once removed for meeting the world's most famous pothead.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've seen Matt Bomer in person. He is an exceptionally beautiful man.

• Options
    I've seen Matt Bomer in person. He is an exceptionally beautiful man.

I think he can cause spontaneous ovulation by batting his eyelashes.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When it came out that he was gay a million straight women cried out in pain.

• Options
    @Darth Waiter whaaaaat I thought it was filmed in Dallas. Just some scenery shots, and main filming in Houston, then?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Nope, right here in Houston, I used to eat at the restaurant they filmed in.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Not because he faced the Red Baron, but that he survived the war to this day. Air combat literally didn't exist before WW1, and the fact that he (and the Baron) mastered an entirely new skill where life expectancy was infamously referred to as "Twenty Minuters" in Blackadder Goes Forth is an amazing feat.

Quite frankly, you can take my random celebrities and shove them for someone who was on the forefront of something that we don't even give a second thought in this day and age.

I hate to be a bummer, but Manfred Von Richthofen died on the 21st of April, 1918.
    The US Marine Corps organised their first Marine Aviation Force in Miami on the 16th of June, 1918.

He was never even flying in Europe at the same time as the Red Baron was.

• Options
    Nope, right here in Houston, I used to eat at the restaurant they filmed in.

Well I still think Sidekicks is still the greatest movie ever and if you ain't down with that

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA!!
    I disagree

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

I hate to be a bummer, but Manfred Von Richthofen died on the 21st of April, 1918.
    The US Marine Corps organised their first Marine Aviation Force in Miami on the 16th of June, 1918.

Ain't that about a bitch? Well, the dude was older than dirt, he might have been senile.

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The last time I ran into Mike Judge he was like, "Hey Chris how's it's going. What's going on?" I was like, "Not much man, how are you?" Trying to play it cool, but he made it weird and was like, "It's me, Mike Judge."

But maybe someone told him the story of when I met Jon Gries and thought he was Mike Judge until we had already been talking like we knew each other for a few minutes.

• Options
    Or just mistaken. These things happen all the time in war.

• Options

Point of order - the majority of American Pilots flying during WW1 were doing so as volunteers due to US neutrality during the war. The Lafayette Escadrille were one such unit formed by US pilots for the explicit purpose of encouraging US intervention into Europe - and they were certainly operating during the same time von Richthofen was operating.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the guy was flying in the war as a volunteer and later joined the Marine Corps Aviation.

• Options
    Well there you go then, he might very well have!

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    My godfather did the VO for all of Stephen King's audiobooks. He was in a horrible motorcycle accident--King paid for all of his medical expenses, his care, and eventually his funeral.

Thing is, I didn't find out about the connection till long after the fact. I was reading the last Dark Tower, I think, and there was a long piece at the back where King talked about Frank and his accident. A little ways into it I realized it was the same person and asked my parents, who confirmed it.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options

That is josh peck of the nickelodeon show drake & josh, a show I watched a lot of as a young teen. He has found some minor fame on vine as of late as well?

I am the Connor pictured to the right

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    People I've met because I was on their TV shows (if being a background figure in a documentary or a contestant on a quiz show counts, I have a Bacon Number of 3):

- Jeremy Paxman
    - Robbie Coltrane
    - Rory McGrath

People I've met at signings or after shows:

- Mitch Benn
    - Penn & Teller
    - Stephen Briggs

People I've seen in passing:

- Jimmy Carr
    - Danny Wallace
    - Simon Amstell

I also got drunk with Vicki Michelle at an awards do.

Maybe in ten years, I'll be able to point to a load of famous academics and say that I went to uni with them - so far all I have in the way of reflected glory is that one of my friends was on a dig featured in Time Team.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    One time my mom ran into David Grohl in the crowd at some ABBA cover band concert and she gave him her phone to text me a picture of the two of them
    so naturally I told him that I loved him but that ABBA sucks. we got into a text argument that ended with us agreeing to disagree and him making vaguely flirtatious comments about my mother

this is absolutely a story about dave grohl that I imagine happening and I love it

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Other than getting to do a very awkward interview with Ray LaHood (Congressman from IL, later Secretary of Transportation), the highest level of fame of people I've interacted with are roleplaying game people at GenCon.

Edit: Oh, and I may have met Brian Boytano and Scott Hamilton when I was younger at some point. Given how my mom would drag me around to ice rinks and ice shows, it's likely.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    People I've met at signings or after shows:

- Penn & Teller

Those guys are great. I forgot I had met them after the show for a signing too. They just ran out the aisles of the theaters and hung out on the sidewalk out front and took pictures and signed autographs for literally everyone who wanted. Penn called everyone "boss" and Teller spoke too. They were both incredibly genuine and nice and gregarious. I regretted that I didn't have anything to sign but I did get pictures.

If I ever get to see them again, I am buying one of those novelty oversized decks of playing cards and having them sign the three of clubs.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    penn and teller have some real shitty philosophies, but they put on one of the best live performances I have ever seen

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    When I worked at the Battery City Regal 11, I met:

Jerry Seinfeld
    James Gandolfini
    Matt Dillon
    Henry Winkler
    The Olsen twins

When working as a street salesman for a comedy club, I tried to sell tickets to:

Conan O'Brien and Tim Meadows - for each one, I acted like I didn't know who they were, asked if they liked comedy, and when they said they were comedians, was like, "Oh man then you gotta check out The Comic Strip Live."

Also while working for that club, I met Dane Cook, who was incredibly sweet and down to earth.

And I high-fived Adam Sessler one time at PAX-East in like... 2008, maybe.

I'm pretty sure I've met more, which is odd, because I'm a non-Hollywood type person and all that.

OH and I met Tom Cruise at the premiere of MI III.

He was awesome.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Hmm...Well, I worked with CTV Weatherperson Denise Andreacchi at the Outback Steakhouse for about 7 years around a decade ago. Glad to see she's doing well for herself. She was always super nice to just about everyone.

That's about the extent of my "famous people" meeting.

Oh, also at an MMA Convention years ago I got my picture taken with Frank Trigg, and when I was like 5 or 6 I got my baseball glove autographed by Blue Jays pitcher Dave Stieb. But those were at conventions and not just like bumping in to the person on the street or them showing up at your workplace or whatevs.

Despite all that, I still have a Kevin Bacon number of 5. My best friends wife worked with the sister of Adria from Suicide Girls and met Adria while they were on a lunch break. Adria has done some adult video with Sasha Grey. Sasha did a film with Chloe Webb, who did a film with Kevin Bacon.

I also have a Sabbath number of 1. I saw them live with Pantera and Deftones opening back in 1999. It counts.

Oh shit wait. My best friend and I met Mike "Nug" Nahrgang at a Comicon a few years back(he wasn't a guest, he was just there). He played Good Old Reliable Jake in Evil Dead the Musical both times we saw it(BEST MUSICAL EVER). He may also be remembered as "Mustard Man".

Mustard_Guy.jpg?1246504763

• Options
    Or just mistaken. These things happen all the time in war.

I am now imagining a secret tryst where he and the 'Crimson Baron' crossed No Man's Land to embrace The Love That Dare Not Speak It's Name.

What?

War makes strange bedfellows.