As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Warships] Now officially launched, thread getting drunk on christening champagne

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Welp, I bought a New Mexico.

First game in it (Free XP'ed the engine, fire control and B-hull)
    g7HcQiz.jpg

And then I played a ranked battle in the Mahan.
    MQevMJh.jpgv21MWTX.jpg

kilnborn on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Upgraded to a Wyoming the other day. It's so much fun to blast destroyers out of the water. Slugging it out with larger ships isn't quite so entertaining.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DemobotDemobot Lemme buzz you in Registered User regular
    I took a decent break from this, came back, jumped in the New Mexico, had three straight victories where I topped the XP board. I love that ship like it was my own flesh and blood.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    https://gleam.io/RCtaO/razer-x-world-of-warships-twitchcon-giveaway

Aurora + 500k credits + 3 days premium for existing NA accounts.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Looking at the proposed stats for the new Russian destroyers... am I right in reading into them that at high tiers Russian destroyers will outgun, outrange, outmaneuver, and out-tank American same tier equivalents while also having slightly better AA capabilities? Because if so... hrrrrrrrrrrrm. hrrrrrrm. Waaarrrrrgaming.
    Also:
    shot_15_08_22_22_44_31_0278.jpg
    Also I think I like playing destroyers a lot more in ranked battles than your standard random ones. You just matter a lot more.

• Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    Not quite. The Russian destroyers have bigger guns with longer ranges and they do have better AA but a USN destroyers still have the edge in torpedoes and the biggest part will be that the USN has better turret rotation. With the Russian rotation speed, there is no way you can circle another ship at close range and keep your guns on target.

Basically, the Russian destroyers are small cruisers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just unlocked the Pensacola. I like it. What I don't like? How in 50% of games two thirds of both my and possibly also the enemy's team refuses to move forward or act aggressive in any way. I am getting so sick of being a sacrificial lamb who goes first to try and get my team to move forward only to die and have an awful experience. But when I don't do that the entire rest of the team refuses to move from spawn. Especially battleships, who will attempt to snipe at maximum possible range to little effect. But honestly they are less annoying that the guaranteed two or three cruisers who won't move unless another cruiser is in front of them. If there isn't someone like me there to bite the bullet they're literally just circle each other refusing to be the guy who goes first.

You how you solve that problem fairly? Have everyone push together.

Gundi on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My go-to method is to heap praise upon my team in broken Russian and then wish them all the best while I drink straight from the bottle and stare at the portrait of my dead cat as the the camera lingers on the grave of my ship.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    It really is hard to blame them when 80% of success in this game is not being the only thing people are shooting at.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The Pensacola has its good points and its bad points. The bad being that it's basically made of cardboard. I do like the guns on it, but they're really designed for hitting other cruisers broadside. Against players who know how to dodge or stay angled, landing citadels etc is nigh on impossible. Doubly so against the Cleveland. That pretty much leaves you with HE spam in those fights and the Pensacola isn't designed for that really.

On the "don't go first" thing, a few days ago I spawned on the edge of the group on two brothers. Thought I'd slow down to half speed and wait for the others to bunch up close to me - nope, they all slowed down to half as well.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So an Ognevoy tier VI destoryer just appeared in my port. Does anyone know why?

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    they have a promotion to test out the new german cruisers and russiandetails here

worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/sea-trials-ru-de/

• Options
    the challenge is basically "play a regular game of Tier IV carrier"

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I got the Konigsberg test version (Tier V German Cruiser) after a particularly good game in my Nagato last night, and played it for an hour or so. Seems like a really strong ship...3x3 turrets w/ a high fire rate make it feel a lot like what I imagine the Cleveland is like (I've never played it though). It's also fast (32.5 kph) and seems to have a solid torpedo capability...short range (6km) but they do a lot of dmg, there are two launchers on each side, and their arc of fire is almost the entire side of the ship, which is nice when compared to the Japanese cruisers where it seems like the arc is around 30% of the cruisers rear quarter.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    That first German cruiser is a glass cannon. Jesus.

• Options
    I mostly play BB's (and CV's) so, anytime I'm in a cruiser I feel like its a glass cannon, but yea, it is a light cruiser, so you don't want to be slugging it out w/ anyone.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Orestus wrote: »
    I mostly play BB's (and CV's) so, anytime I'm in a cruiser I feel like its a glass cannon, but yea, it is a light cruiser, so you don't want to be slugging it out w/ anyone.

I mean, duh, but look at the stats: even by T1 standards, a survivability of 9, with an artillery of 20? That is higher than the T2 and T3 in the German tree COMBINED. And the survivability is single digits, which I don't think is a thing in ANY tree.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Just got a T6 Soviet destroyer in my port for some unknown reason.

Tried it for a couple of games. They might as well call it "Why aren't you just playing a cruiser?"

• Options
    Finally getting some good results in my Pensacola. It's paper thin hull armor is good in one respect: it's a constant teaching reminder to never give folks your broadside if you can help it.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    If I'm not mistaken, the Pensacola also has a massive detectability range. Like it's literally the first thing to be spotted in most fights.

• Options
    Just got a close quarters combat medal in my Pensacola. It was a good game. A fun game.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I like the Dresden. It's like a St. Louis except a tier lower and slightly more balanced due to its really short firing range. Wonder if the tier III is just as busted as the St. Louis.

Also in case you didn't know the German cruisers and Russian destroyers are out.

Edit: The tier III German cruiser is basically a faster, significantly less durable St. Louis. It's not really quite as good but, I mean, that's not really being fair the St. Louis is ridiculous.

Gundi on
  • Options
    The new T1 ships are fun! Most fun I've had in quite some time with the game, honestly. I hate being stuck in T5.

And there's already people with T4 and T5 German cruisers. How can anyone get XP in this game so fast? Shenanigans?

• Options
    The new T1 ships are fun! Most fun I've had in quite some time with the game, honestly. I hate being stuck in T5.

And there's already people with T4 and T5 German cruisers. How can anyone get XP in this game so fast? Shenanigans?

You can spend real money to convert XP earned on other ships into free xp, that can be used on anything. So for instance, you could have bought the Tirpitz when it came out, played it a ton since, and then spent real money to convert all that Tirpitz XP to free XP, which you then spend to unlock the ships up the new line w/out playing the lower tier ones. It's expensive but if you want to be first its an option, I saw the German Tier 7 cruiser in a game last night...

• Options
    Anyone encounter a boss ship yet?

• Options

You can spend real money to convert XP earned on other ships into free xp, that can be used on anything. So for instance, you could have bought the Tirpitz when it came out, played it a ton since, and then spent real money to convert all that Tirpitz XP to free XP, which you then spend to unlock the ships up the new line w/out playing the lower tier ones. It's expensive but if you want to be first its an option, I saw the German Tier 7 cruiser in a game last night...

I dunno but to me, there's just NO WAY that math works: even if you have premium time, you only average, what, maybe 1.1k ~ 1.7k XP per match? Shit, even when I had premium time and eating the continuous shit sandwhich that is the Furataka, I'm STILL 25k away from unlocking the Aoba. And that's ship XP; general XP is even worse. You'd have to spend a fortune to convert it all, even if you had enough.

Or maybe I'm just really bad at this game.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    The premium ships generate free XP faster as well. I have a pile sitting on my Murmansk. If you're spending that much converting XP you'll have a full stable of premium ships too and likely play those primarily.

I got the Murmansk through that humble bundle kerfuffle for $1. Best buck I've spent in a while.

• Options
    For the sake of argument, let's say you bought a Tirpitz when it came out, September 17th. You play it 10 times a day, every day since that time (that sounds like a lot to me but remember you are someone who spent $60 on a this ship, so you probably are really into this game). And let's say you average 1k xp per battle in the Tirpitz (that seems low to me if you are decent, but I don't have one so being conservative). As of the 19th you'd have 330,000 free xp sitting on the Tirpitz that you could pay real money to convert into free xp. At a rate of 25 free xp conversion per doubloon, it would cost you 13,200 doubloons to convert all of that into real currency. I'm at work so can't check Wargaming's store but I think they have a bundle of like 25,000 doubloons for $100.

So basically, someone who bought the Tirpitz, played it alot, and was willing to spend another $50 or so in free xp conversion could easily free xp their way up to tier 7 or 8 on the 1st day a new line is released. This is certainly not common but these games rely to some degree on attracting whales who will pay this amount for in game stuff, so there are definitely people out here who will do this.

• Options
    For reference i have about 200k xp jist sitting on my Kongo, and like 100k on my sims, proba another 1-200k on other ships ready to convert if i spent money.

I know people on reddit and the wows forums who have posted pics with millions of xp sitting on prem/elite ships, and some people dont mind spending a lot of money on doubloons to just free xp there way to t8+ ships, i saw german cruisers against my mogami and nor cal yesterday.

• Options
    How the hell are you people earning so much XP?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    My avg is 1.2k/game right now, as you go up in tiers getting more xp is easier because ships have more HP, and dmg=xp.

Plus once you find a ship you really love, you just get better at it as you play a lot of games, so your xp avg goes up.

Foomy on
  • Options

I dunno but to me, there's just NO WAY that math works: even if you have premium time, you only average, what, maybe 1.1k ~ 1.7k XP per match? Shit, even when I had premium time and eating the continuous shit sandwhich that is the Furataka, I'm STILL 25k away from unlocking the Aoba. And that's ship XP; general XP is even worse. You'd have to spend a fortune to convert it all, even if you had enough.

Or maybe I'm just really bad at this game.
    I had like three or four thousand free XP just kicking around.

• Options
    I'm a little bit at a loss as far as the Wargaming sales model. Here's the deal: I'm flat out not going to pay you $30 for a DLC boat, much less whatever the Tirpitz was going for.

Stuff like this Halloween special and the steady patches has me optomistic for the breadth of F2P content, but everything also points to Wargaming balking at any transaction less than $30 - bundling the Tier V destroyer with "extras" until it hits $37 - and kind of shuffling around avoiding putting anything up for purchase on the in-game side.

• Options
    So I got a konigsberg tonight and in the process i can safely say that the karlsruhe is the least fun ship I have played in the game so far.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Koningsberg was fun. Had enough Free XP that i could skip right too it (I never spend free xp on anything so I had alot saved up and didnt have to convert xp or anything expensive).

• Options
    Getting a result like this and still losing can be... a little frustrating:
    2dmhyz9.jpg
    Also yes I bought an Atago. I haven't gone down the Japanese cruiser line at all and I wanted something that could help me make enough credits to buy all the new ships.

• Options
    Has anyone encountered one of the boss ships yet? I have yet to see any. I'm starting to think they're tier 8-10 only?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    MrBody wrote: »
    Has anyone encountered one of the boss ships yet? I have yet to see any. I'm starting to think they're tier 8-10 only?

T4-6 battles and the event ships are tagged as t4. Its either a des moines cruiser or a essex cv.

Seen the salem witch ( the des moines) 3 times.

Foomy on
  • Options
    I have seen a Salem Witch twice, both times on my team. First game it was mostly useless and just sailed straight into a corner; second game it killed 8 and we won handily.

• Options
    So learning that DDs can equip the defensive fire consumable has sold me quite a bit more on American's DD's reliance on AA over the concealment and just always superior torpedoes (and frequently not particularly worse guns) of Japanese destroyers. Without it, at best even an American destroyer might just barely be able to defend itself against enemy air strikes, assuming that the carrier is the same tier and they don't focus all their squadrons at you. With it, you can both pretty reasonably defend yourself but also defend other ships by, if nothing else, throwing off the enemy's aim.

I still feel like destroyers are kind of under-powered though, at least in random battles. It's hard to offset just having so much less health than any other ship type.