As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:HW] Ye Olde Threade

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I mean, nothing you said changes the fact that if they did as much damage as other DPS while providing those buffs, having at least one Brd and one Mch would be mandatory for every full party or larger.

But they don't, which is the cool thing! They only do 80% of their potential damage while they are running group buffs! I think a more apt question is whether there should be a difference in damage between a brd/mch that isn't running any buffs and a 'pure' dps.
    Personally I think there shouldn't be.

Even then Bard has the advantage of not being melee.

Also don't Bard's mostly lack cast times too? Which makes their DPS the easiest to maintain in big fights.

Not anymore. Once you're in HW content as BRD, you're using Wanderer's Minuet to boost your damage.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well yeah, but again that's coming down to the idea of bard having the choice to lock down for that. The same way they have the choice to use support stuff.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I try to use the knockback to toss the ranged mobs back into the tank's range on trash pulls.

Or ping-pong with the WHM, that's fun too.

Knocking them back into walls they are adjacent to works well as well since it doesn't disrupt the positioning. As a general rule though I tend to avoid using the knockback move just because it's available. Using it to actually help the party is of course always encouraged provided you aren't being that one guy that's "helping".

As a machinist, encourage your tank to tank against a wall. The skill is fine and can be used all you want provided you are communicating with the tank and working together rather than not.

I say this having mained a Blapper in CoH.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Mobility isn't the same as buff ability, but i think that's a fair point.
    That said, I think mobility is a really bad thing to use to differentiate between classes, because it forces designs that either emphasizes how immobile other classes are (leaving them feeling wireless for that *one fight) or how pointless being more mobile is if you don't have a reason to move.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    :) Just got done with Sohm Al and not only did I get all the Comms I also disrupted a early pulling Black Mage's rotation and almost killed him. So, win win.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else play on the PS4 and is getting an error when trying to start up the game?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I mean, nothing you said changes the fact that if they did as much damage as other DPS while providing those buffs, having at least one Brd and one Mch would be mandatory for every full party or larger.

I don't think that's true at all really. No support abilities from BRD are needed to clear any encounter. So if a BRD is in a group, not needing to use Ballad/Paeon, and they just resort to using Foe for their (usually) lone caster DPS, why not let them be at least on par with other DPS?

Hell, when I'm on DRG my piercing debuff helps BRDs out and I still out DPS everyone, does that mean DRG is mandatory?

GreyWolfy on
    FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Playing DRG makes me wish for a WeakAuras mod in FFXIV. Keep track of all the buffs and DoT's I've got.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    GreyWolfy wrote: »

I don't think that's true at all really. No support abilities from BRD are needed to clear any encounter. So if a BRD is in a group, not needing to use Ballad/Paeon, and they just resort to using Foe for their (usually) lone caster DPS, why not let them be at least on par with other DPS?

Hell, when I'm on DRG my piercing debuff helps BRDs out and I still out DPS everyone, does that mean DRG is mandatory?

I mean, ideally when not using Ballad or Paeon which comes with the damage debuff, they would then at that point do comparable damage to other ranged DPS.

Much like for Mch, the difference between their DPS and other ranged DPS ought to be roughly what their turret does (since their "support" is largely switching the turret to either attack, or buff)

We're not really there yet, but I think that ought to be the goal.

In this way, also, multiple Brds or Mchs wouldn't trip over each others toes as much.

Maddoc on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone else play on the PS4 and is getting an error when trying to start up the game?
    i do, i played this morning until around 7:30am eastern and had no problems
    what is the error?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    So random question for those that played 1.0. I know the rough storyline leading up to the empire trying to bring down Dalamud and the Scions trying to stop them from doing it. But did they (the Scions) know Bahamut was hiding out in there as well, or was that a complete oh shit moment for them when he popped out?

• GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    GreyWolfy wrote: »

I mean, ideally when not using Ballad or Paeon which comes with the damage debuff, they would then at that point do comparable damage to other ranged DPS.

Much like for Mch, the difference between their DPS and other ranged DPS ought to be roughly what their turret does (since their "support" is largely switching the turret to either attack, or buff)

We're not really there yet, but I think that ought to be the goal.

In this way, also, multiple Brds or Mchs wouldn't trip over each others toes as much.

Honestly that's all I'd want lol. BRD/MCH being equal DPS while using support abilities is obviously too far, but if they're not supporting the party atm... why not let them be equal, ya know?

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I am thoroughly enjoying the progression of complaining in my "skilled raiders" Linkshell.

Mere hours ago, they were whining that Alex story mode was to ez, can clear in DF, game is ded.

Now they're losing their mind that it's not worth even attempting to DF because it's impossible to clear with pugs.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I am thoroughly enjoying the progression of complaining in my "skilled raiders" Linkshell.

Mere hours ago, they were whining that Alex story mode was to ez, can clear in DF, game is ded.

Now they're losing their mind that it's not worth even attempting to DF because it's impossible to clear with pugs.

It's almost like it just came out and they got to prove who had the biggest e-peen.

steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Break linkshell

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm drawing a blank or I'm not up on my FFXIV lingo

What's DF?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Duty finder.

Oh, alright, yeah

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Finally got my Chocobo mount. I equipped the fat Chocobo from the collector and I couldn't ride at first because I found the music it played to be so incredibly amusing. I don't think I'll ever ride any other mount.

Is fat chocobo different music than the regular one?

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Finally got my Chocobo mount. I equipped the fat Chocobo from the collector and I couldn't ride at first because I found the music it played to be so incredibly amusing. I don't think I'll ever ride any other mount.

It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOi1XAokmc

steam_sig.png
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Hrm I'm not sure if I should continue to level up Archer / Bard. The new abilities sound horrible. I only really have time to level 1 job so I don't want to endup with one I dislike.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    So random question for those that played 1.0. I know the rough storyline leading up to the empire trying to bring down Dalamud and the Scions trying to stop them from doing it. But did they (the Scions) know Bahamut was hiding out in there as well, or was that a complete oh shit moment for them when he popped out?

Latter. No one knew. Dalamund's true nature had been lost to time after the Allag empire bit it.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

Latter. No one knew. Dalamund's true nature had been lost to time after the Allag empire bit it.

It was also a huge WTF moment for players when those wings appeared and realization set in.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

It was also a huge WTF moment for players when those wings appeared and realization set in.

"This game sucks, how can you have a Final Fantasy without Baha--"

"ROOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

"Oh shit."

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Hrm I'm not sure if I should continue to level up Archer / Bard. The new abilities sound horrible. I only really have time to level 1 job so I don't want to endup with one I dislike.
    3/5 of the new abilities are awesome, but 2 of them require Wanderer's Minuet, which was much less awesome but has been buffed in the latest patch.
    The 5th ability is kind of lame-o but they're allegedly looking at it too.

steam_sig.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

That was when 1.0 went offline for good right? Players were treated to the 2.0 opening?
    Cause if so that seems really neat. All the mystery surrounding the Dalamud wouldn't be revealed for another 2-3 years.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

That was when 1.0 went offline for good right? Players were treated to the 2.0 opening?
    Cause if so that seems really neat. All the mystery surrounding the Dalamud wouldn't be revealed for another 2-3 years.

Essentially yeah, you fight against the Garleans to try and stop them from summoning Meteor but you fail and it comes anyways. Then with 2.0 all we know it's it's years later and we are exploring the aftermath, picking up the pieces and trying to figure out what happened and why. Which is all tied into the Coil story and why it's so damned awesome.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, going to be running some Alexander tonight and hoping to grab some GHOSTies to help out. Mara will most likely be there. Please look forward to it.

Also I am almost 60 Black Mage so hooray for that.

488W936.png
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular

That's what I always assumed but I didn't know for sure. Cool!

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh man, class-itis is already setting in again. Help me decide what to focus on!

PwH4Ipj.jpg

It is.

Oh man that's awesome. I see an upgrade to collectors edition in my near future.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

It is.

Oh man that's awesome. I see an upgrade to collectors edition in my near future.

And in Heavensward it flies.

steam_sig.png
    Riokenn wrote: »

Essentially yeah, you fight against the Garleans to try and stop them from summoning Meteor but you fail and it comes anyways. Then with 2.0 all we know it's it's years later and we are exploring the aftermath, picking up the pieces and trying to figure out what happened and why. Which is all tied into the Coil story and why it's so damned awesome.

Not just Coil, but Heavensward as well!
    The scene with Tiamat was really powerful. The way they gave a nod to not only her FF/D&D roots but her actual mythology was very well done as well.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Just a heads up, going to be running some Alexander tonight and hoping to grab some GHOSTies to help out. Mara will most likely be there. Please look forward to it.

i will be up for it if timing works out and you want a pretty not good dragoon

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

i will be up for it if timing works out and you want a pretty not good dragoon

Considering that the qualifier for "good dragoon" is "does not become floor rug", you'll be fine.

edited July 2015
    Man I just finished the 2.55 story, major spoilers below:
    holy shit what a downer of an ending. Happy to see Teledji go but not at the cost of the Scions, even if it looks like at least 2 probably survived Ul'Dah. I'm really happy I can just roll right into Hevansward to continue the story. Also rip Raubahn's arm.
    Post credits spoiler: Erianger WTF, meeting with the Ascians.

Carpy on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

It is.

This, to me, will always be the Fat Chocobo music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrum2OL9QpA

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    the shoe is about to drop i can feel it

just found wilred

also spent time with tataru and if anything happens to her...................

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a difference of server then. I'm on Faerie server and I haven't grouped with a Machinist, at all, in nearly a week. And I've been leveling a mix of Dragoon, White Mage, and Scholar. I've seen a couple of them in FATE herds in Costa Del Sol and Coerthas, but not many. I honestly feel like Dark Knights outnumber them something like 7 to 1. And Astrologians probably 5 to 1.

Oh they are definitely not as popular as Dark Knight or Astrologian. I still see them everywhere on Sargatanas though.

Also in regards to Machinist and Bard there was this change in the patch notes:

Bard

the Wanderer's Minuet
    • Action category has been changed from spell to ability.
    • Damage increase has been increased from 20% to 30%.
    • Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 0 seconds.
    • Recast time has been increased from 2.5 to 15 seconds.
    Empyreal Arrow
    • Potency has been reduced from 240 to 220.
    Sidewinder
    • Potency has been reduced from 150 to 100.
    • Potency when target is suffering from either Venomous Bite or Windbite has been reduced from 250 to 175.
    • Potency when target is suffering from both Venomous Bite and Windbite has been reduced from 350 to 250.

So damage wise the Dev team still seems pretty happy with them, they have shifted the playstyle a bit though. Making Wander's Minuet and Gauss Barrel have no cast time is awesome so you can turn them on in battle more easily. They seems to also shift some of the damage from the individuals weaponskills to the buff itself which is also a nice change.

Shouldn't affect overall DPS output too much but may switch up rotations a bit since there won't be such an impact to DPS by using the form change mid fight.

Not sure what the deal is with the first listed change for minuet. Is that just so skillspeed will affect your GCD after using it?
    Changes 2 and 3 are pretty much what I wanted/expected. 4 I suppose just brings it more in line with Cleric Stance type things.

Kind of sad about the change to Empyreal and Sidewinder, because those were an awesome nuke, but it's balanced out by the 10% flat damage buff I suppose. On Empyreal at least. Sidewinder still took a huge hit.

Spell = can be prevented with Silence. Ability means it can always be executed no matter what debuffs are in play (Silence/Pacify). Obviously complete control disables like stun and fetters will prevent you from doing anything...

Empyreal Arrow and Gauss Round were adjusted to keep their damage consistent before and after the stance buff. May be a minor 1-2 potency difference but eh, rounding... The changes to Ricochet and Sidewinder? Those are probably where the extra potency was taken out to maintain the target damage potential. So yeah, damage looks like it was moved from the special nukes and spread out across the general actions.

I cleared Alexander floors 1-3 before I had to go to sleep last night and I can see a lot of hooks for Savage mode to kick in which will keep the essence of the fight, but just jack it up to 11. Already though, there's more emphasis on DPS with the very first encounter (trash) being a full on burn race DPS check.

Thoughts on what I have seen so far:
    Floor 1:
    The boss' AoE attack isn't threatening in the slightest. As a healer, I ignored it except when healing the prey missile targets where I'd upgrade to a Cure II or used Tetra to cover the extra 2k spike. There's a DPS race condition where 2 adds must be killed quickly and the remainder soon after or an aggro swap needs to take place otherwise someone is going to get mini'd.
    Savage mode, I'd expect the Quick Landing to do more damage to put more healing requirements and probably some more abilities and 4 3000 tonze missiles instead of 2 which means all adds must die before the missiles contact. That's on top of generally more damage going out from the boss and adds.

Floor 2:
    Just a giant brawl to be honest; at least in normal mode. Tanks can take a fair bit of sustained damage but so long as people don't keep standing near the bombs, it's not all that bad. The two gobbie walkers are a bit of a mystery. I suspect they will be important in Savage?

Floor 3:
    The pug group I was running with kinda brute-forced some mechanics here. The ferromagnetism I presume requires likes to get together to avoid being pushed off and opposites to be apart from each other to avoid the atrophy 30% stat reduction. Needless to say, that atrophy was applied every single time and getting it on the tank was annoying and lethal when the tank had 6-7 stack blunt vulnerability. Normal mode does have a fairly decent DPS requirement in the water tornado phase in killing the adds fast enough. That got brute forced by simply out healing the electrocution DoT when we missed a (single) piston fluid both rotations so yeah, 2 mechanics got brute forced.
    Healing wasn't too bad to be honest. The only problem spots were really if the tanks didn't soak the cleaves off the hand phase so a tank takes rapid 11k hits instead of 5.5ks.

I expect there to be a higher DPS race component in Savage. Along with at least one more ability during the last phase (the orange tether)

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Squeenix. Can we get a little less Skill Speed on my Fending gear please?

Also, that tank chest from Alex NM is gaaaarbage. Holding out for the Esoteric chest.

This discussion has been closed.